Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

jrd4t's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

I love this fragrance. It's light and casual and the sweetness is not at all overbearing. I get great longevity out of it (I could still detect it 12 hours later).
    The opening is a huge burst of warm citrus. The caramel and chocolate keep the bright opening from being thin or too sharp, but it still makes your mouth water.
    Very much a thumbs up from me.

SoleBrothaNumba1's avatar

Usher for Men by Usher

Not a bad scent. Clean and fresh, kinda "incensey!" Nice bottle, cool looking cap. When I first tested this at Macys, I thought it was horrible, but I was offered a few samples and I took them anyway. About a week later after I had forgotten that I even had them I tested one of the samples on my skin and I couldn't tell if I liked it or not, but I couldn't stop smelling it and after a while I thought to myself this fragrance isn't too bad! Only problem is that I'm a Creed Himalaya fan all the way and I'm not saying they're exactly a like at all, but they share similarites that I haden't noticed until testing Usher a few times. They both share a cool, clean, fresh, incense like smell, but you can smell how much more sophisticated and better Himalaya is. Also, I don't think I can wear it just because it says 'Usher' on it! lol! I mean his music's good and all, but it doesn't hold a personal connection with the buyer of the product, you know what I mean?! He could have just helped create the fragrance and named it something cool or sexy or whatever and had a professional model advertise it, but he didn't and to me that ruined it somewhat...he's in the ad, his names on the bottle by itself, i mean what if someone doesn't like you or your music, but likes the scent? I've heard people say they won't by Unforgivable just because they hate P. Diddy! lol! The fragrance is very important, but so is the name and the bottle. Scent is the closest thing tied to memory, which is why fragrance is so important, every bit of that down to the name should show a personal connection to you, have some sort of sentimental value to become a so called "signature scent" just for you, no matter how popular. Even the cap on the Usher bottle is nice, but it's a replica a custom made ring that he (Usher) wears, it has nothing to do with anyone except him. This is the same place that P. Diddy messed up in, everyone knows he wears Creed MI and all he did was give you a less sophisticated version of his favorite fragrance in one of his bottles, only thing he did right though was give his fragrance a name other than Sean John. Sorry to ramble on, but honestly celebrities like musicians and actors are so great until they try to do something that doesn't make them who they are, it's a joke. Johnny Depp is a great actor, but if he created a scent called "Johnny Depp" would I wear it? No! If he helped a brand like Chanel create a scent by throwing some ideas of his own in there and they called it something other than "Johnny Depp" would I wear it, sure if it smells good enough. But it's not "his" scent and the thought that someone like him helped a brand like Chanel create a "Chanel" fragrance, well that's very cool! Catch my drift?!

bokaba's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

I really like this one because it is spicy and woody rather than sweet and green like many of today's newer fragrances. This heralds in the lineage of vintage fragrances not often worn today. While the clove is at first very strong, the citrus, musk, and amber will come out (I believe that in Victorian times people relied heavily on clove and lavender as can be seen in Edition).

fernwood's avatar

1903 by J Peterman

I first smelled this scent in the early 90's at one of J. Peterman's mall stores. Simply amazing. Like nothing I had ever experienced. But my then girlfriend did not like any scents at all. Fast forward to 4 years ago - different girlfriend different reaction! Still amazing. Starts out with clean citrus, moves quickly through the green note and clary sage to get to the amazing drydown. The pyramid says it all . Smoky, woody, leather and incense. My favorite Autumn scents. Just like ratri my
    girlfriend cannot remove herself from my neck when I wear this. Thank you J. Peterman for taking a chance on that fitted leather train case

elizabethean's avatar

Jamaica Jamaica

OP Juice for Women by Ocean Pacific

Very youthfu, like 16-21? Not for the 30, 40 crowd if you are trying to be sophisticated, with a fresh touch. But if you want to feel young again, reminiscent to your first over the counter cologne, this is it. The notes all run together giving it a powdery scent in the end.

Midnight_lulu's avatar

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

Tuberose is a dangerous, dangerous note; added with a light hand, it adds a subtle warm skin sensation to a fragrance...but ladle it in and you have something in close proximity to a horse rolling in skunk cabbage. Harsh comparison, yes, but heed it as fair warning when applying essence of this carnal flower.

As tuberose is the central player in "Juicy Couture"--tuberose flower and tuberose absolute--I slightly recoiled to the possibilities. However, as whipped-cream rich and powdery as "Juicy Couture" is, it never enters skunk territory. Instead, it gives off the weirdest sensation of many different fragrances layered onto unwashed skin. Not dirty skin, of course, but the sebum-buildup of early morning before a daily shower. Overall, not entirely unpleasant, but really odd--like the smell of a girl accustomed to showering three times a day, who stayed out late one night and had to layer on whatever was in her gym bag to catch class in the morning. That will probably sound unappealing to most but "Juicy Couture" isn't necessarily a gag-scent, just very strong, sweet and powdery. In fact, many of the notes were the favorites of the infamous/famous Marie Antoinette (she was a passionate patron of tuberose): If iris, lavender and neroli were added to this scent, it would probably smell eerily like an 18th century french court...with frugally washed bodies included.

HDS1963's avatar

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

This is delicious. A wonderful smoky and evocative scent. It is a fragrance to be worn by an assured man who would think nothing of Bois De Portugal and carry it off with panache. It is a man's fragrance, to be worn in the evening with an expensive suit without a tie.

It is not for the younger man who doesn't understand the need for seduction rather than bangs and whistles.

The unsophisticated nose will miss its finer points. And or the record, it is nothing like the original Boss.

HDS1963's avatar

Désir de Rochas pour Homme by Rochas

I also would recommend this. Initially a very fresh fragrance, redolent of Mont Blanc Individuel or Boss Selection, but sweeter at the top, then darker and muskier at the bottom. It lasts well too and you feel good wearing it. Very nice indeed.

FullCircle's avatar

Trish by Trish McEvoy

Notes: Almond Flower, Blue Lotus, Tonka Bean, White Amber, Cashmere Musk, Indian Sandlewood
    There're a myriad of these smooth, luscious skin scents out there now...YES! I didn't think I would like this upon sampling for the first time this morning...first impression is a little off...maybe the Lotus...didn't work with the rest of the formula, but the top goes away very quickly which seems to be par for these fragrances. What's left is a honey-smooth (although no honey in this mixture) drydown with a soft amber(thank god for soft ambers), musc, and the cleanest, sexiest sandlewood. Pure golden light for the skin and brain which puts you in a soft mood for the day and evening. Sillage is light to non-existant...perfect for me!
    Would I buy this...probably not...way too expensive for me, although if I happened upon some, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. I get a similar mood from my Jo Malone Nectarine and Honey, and a Muskier, and even more exquisite return from Narciso Rodriquez "For Her" Musc oil, whose fruity notes linger throughout.
    I've been seriously investigating Muscs this fall season...for the first time in 30(?) years. Why did I wait so long? They are so earthy, sensual, and "me" in a whisper of a scent.