Fragrance Reviews from October 2007

Quelques Fleurs L'Original by Houbigant

Wow, NEZ is right! This begins much like Chanel's Cristalle! Quelques Fleurs harbors the potentially cloying triple threat of rose-jasmine-tuberose, yet thankfully manages to keep that fragrant bouquet fresh and in tact. For me, the musk used here smells a bit "fleshy". For lilies I prefer the refined notes found in Lutens Un Lys, but considering the era of this creation and it's unwavering popularity I must give credit where it is due - thumbs up!

Secrète Datura by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Similar to Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream, only less intense - more wearable! (CALCHIC's got the details covered on this one!)

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Beyond amber! Lutens has given us the most resinous, spicy and aromatic amber known to man...Magnificent! I have intentionally waited for my nose to become a little bit more experienced before sampling this re-known creation, and it's paid off. I'm completely appreciative of the intensity that is Ambre Sultan. There is not a single weakness evident...the spices smolder, the resins are earthy, the woods dark, the musk deep, it's so warm to my senses I must describe it as steamy hot! As with most of my favorite's, there are mixed reviews. I adore this one ~ completely!

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Douce Amere is interesting, and I have to laugh at (and agree with ) VIBERT'S comment that "Sheldrake" and "transparent" don't belong in the same sentence...so true! For all the potentially heavy notes of milk and honey, musk, sandalwood, wormwood, cedarwood, vanilla - this one does possess a transparent personality! I find it to be gentle and bitter at the same time, and while others appreciate the balance here, it is a bit too woody for my personal taste. Douce Amere might please me more on a man...

Vanille Coco by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Smells like Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar with a touch of coconut in the finish. Mediocre.

White Floral by Pecksniff's

White Floral by Pecksniff can only be described as "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". I'll begin with the good. High quality product here, potent too - with longevity and sillage to spare. The bad, for me, is the note of ylang-ylang. It is cloying here and pretty much what I call the death note of this bouquet. The ugly? Well, this one comes off like a public restroom air freshener. Almost toxic like in it's character. It's not nice.

Oriental Amber by Pecksniff's

I'm a sucker for ginger ~ I know, I know, so many others have issues with that pungent root, but I love when it's subtley used and in Pecksniff's Oriental Amber it is presented with the lightest touch. The chosen spices and flowers of this 'recipe' live well together. The spices transition easily into the floral heart, which also shifts smoothly into the earthy, wooded base. There is a distinct natural harmony here, and though these powerhouse notes have the potential to be cloying - they're not at all! They have a very light effect, with an underlying sweetness throughout. Oriental Amber is reflective of the longtime reputation of excellence by this fragrance house. I hope they continue with more creations like this!

Frangipane by Chantecaille

Fresh and powdery with a touch of green. This expertly emulsified blend brings to mind the ultra luxurious frangipane note within Chanel's Coco. This fragrance is not the same as Coco by any means, but the frangipane is clearly recognizable in each composition. Vanilla in the base grounds the ethereal overtone of this fragrance perfectly. Frangipane would make an exquisite layering product, for it's unusual notes are unique, pure; well balanced. What a wonderful suprise!

Wild Honeysuckle by Bath and Body Works

This is my new favorite scent for hand soap! I bought a bottle to try and everytime I wash my hands, I keep having to sniff them - over and over again! I love the freshness of this floral blend. Inoffensive, it doesn't interfere with my choice of fragrance for the day. I liked it so much, I subsequently purchased the shower gel for that same total body effect! Excellent find.

Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works

Refreshing and light, pretty good staying power too! Everytime my daughter layers this scent I breathe a bit more deeply as she passes by!

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Eau Ressourçante / Eau Tranquility by Clarins

Gentle, serene and rosy; I love to wear this fragrance when travelling as it calms me down. It's lovely in summer as well - it has enough complexity to count as a 'real' perfume, but feels simple.

I get roses and perhaps other flowers, not too sweet, with a background murmur of woods to support and give some longevity. Definitely feminine.

A really beautiful fragrance that makes a good gift.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

This smells exactly like the skin on the back of my little girl's neck. Gentle, soft, warm, a little sweet, innocent and beautiful.

zenpiper's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Refined and good. I came to Habit Rouge via Monsieur de Mouchoir, a better Guerlain fragrance, but about ten times more costly. There are some similarities, but Habit Rouge has a little kick to it, which I like. This is an elegant fragrance; to be worn with a jacket and tie. Just about perfect for a dinner date or a cocktail party. Just tops.

Duncan's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Sparklingly fresh, dry and sharp junipery scent that oozes class. Excellent longevity. BpH is good too; I guess just less extreme...interesting that notes are somewhat different tho.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Put in your mind a women, pearly woman with lovely, long wavy hair, laying in a inmmaculate bed with satin sheets, naked, clean. There's summer and her beautiful body smells clean, but disticntive, the human body smell mixing with the aroma of her shower gel nad body lotion.
    She lays but her legs are wide open!. Smell of nudity and puberscense.

This fragance start so aldehydeic, clean, as pure as blowns you away. Very aquatic too.
    Like a pool with a lot chloorine, just clean and neutral,
    But then the notes itself make you dive in something more organic, like a swamp in a forest,.
    The the fucus note emerges so sharp that nearly hurts when you sniff.
    I know very well the fucus smell as I grown up next to the beach, it's a group of brown algae, not eatable, that hasn't a obvious smell but when treated with alcohols, smells very very metallic and organic like, not a lovely smell I have to be honest, but not vile too, just green, little medicinal,and metallic: ( It has been used as teraphical mud baths for ages in Galicia, north Spain where I am originally from.My grandma used to do "cataplasmas" with that algae to cure skin deseases).
    Well, that's how this perfume smell like:
    something green metallic, kind of medicinal but the initial splash ozonic aquatic goes all over the olfatory experience.And something really clean on the background, SOMETHING SO PURE.
    The blood accord mixed nicely with the fucus giving a more sharper metallic twist, and the iris note come in the dry down very very subtle, appearing like a shy note of peachy skin surrounding it all. A feminine touch, i must say. I suppose it is beacuse of the mix of the iris and the milk note, it's creamy but clean.
    I know now.
    I don't know if the USA have that shower gel, the name is Lactovit.
    The milky base smell like this, creamy clean soap, like a fresh young woman skin after a bath with this shower gel.
    The conclusion is, despiste what you could spect, this fragance is just clean yet sharp, yet sexual but not dirty.
    It's very marine, yes, very metallic, quiet indeed, but it's addictive.
    I son't think so it's a wearable frag for a man, it has a dinstictive smell of woman-clean- skin- like, but I think I'll give a try to see reactions.
    If seduction had an odour that will be.

tvlampboy's avatar

Shogun by Alain Delon

Shogun, I've decided, must be Japanese that's been translated into the French and come out meaning "boring as hell."

This one masquerades as a member of the Oriental fragrance family and yet should be proud to stand alongside the best of the most mediocre in that teeming horde of "fresh, aquatic" men's frags out there.

Save your money for a GOOD Delon, such as Delon's Original (AD) and/or Iquitos -- leave this one for your building super or your teenage nephew.

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

It´s a sexy fragrance and long lasting.
    But here in Brazil we have an identical
    and less than half price fragrance called
    Uomini from "O boticario".
    So it´s a little common here.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Jil Sander Man by Jil Sander

Understated demure elegance. It starts out somewhat smoky a la Escada Magnetism albeit very light then if turns to a subtle Azzaro Visit and stays like that for hours. It is nice but not very strong which is just perfect for some people.

scentsitivity's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I was hesitant to try Kouros considering the strong expressions of a considerable minority. But curiousity had to be satisfied and now I am in full fellowship with the anti-Kouros league. Urinal cake opening settles into semen-like odor mingled with cloves. I don't want to smell this on me or anyone else!

BoB's avatar

Thailand Thailand

L'Anarchiste by Caron

I like the scent but I just couldn't force myself to buy it because of the bottle. It looks so ugly and weird to me. I think it should have been named R.I.P. instead and I don't think I can be in my bedroom alone with this bottle on my grooming table. Spooky...

Theopola's avatar

Je Reviens by Worth

I have worn this perfume on and off for thirty years. I am one of those people who sees colors with scents or music. This perfume has always been blue to me It is wet and cool. It is not like a creek but has depth like a lake. There is something very liquid and lush about it. It also has a light sparkly element to it like sunlight glittering on the surface of the water. This scent somehow manages to be full and fluid yet crisp and bright at the same time. It is one of my all time favorites and completely different from any other perfume that I have ever found!

kshepinfo's avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

This is a very beautiful, complex fragrance; very elegant, classy, and sophisticated; discreet and delicious: one of those fragrances that -- as others have described -- is hard to pick out any one note all are so beautifully blended. If you like woody florals w/ a little spice and if you love sandlewood, you have to try a sample of this at least (I think I got mine at luckyscents.com or try perfumedcourt.com they might also carry it. The absolute only problem is that it doesn't seem to last on me; although today, it did I can even smell it now -- maybe it's the subtley that grows on me ... it's a toss up for me now between BDI and Sacre Bleu (which to me is VERY long lasting; somewhat sweeter; stronger in general). Confused at this point!

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This is a scent I've loved ever since I was a kid. I think my Mom has had this scent probably ever since it came out (and I would've been like 3 or 4). I remember the adorable blue star bottle and the sweet scent that smelled like food the I used to want to spray myself with for dance or piano recitals or my 8th grade "graduation".

Now that I'm older, I tried this on myself again and I find that it's not quite the same as I remember it from my childhood. My mom doesn't use it very much any more, the liquid or the bottle has taken on a strange greenish tinge, and the scent seems different from what I recalled. It now has this distinctly sour note in the opening that I don't remember at all. When it dries down it settles better and starts to get that delicious, sparkly nummy desserty scent that I love, but it still has this very slight not-quite-right scent to it. I love this scent and still occasionally steal a spritz of it from my mom's closet.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I first smelled this in my psychology class when some girl on the other side of the room was spritzing herself (with wild abandon) with this scent and the whole class could smell it. It smelled really nice, so we asked her what it was and she replied that it was Britney Spears' Fantasy. I thought this was strange because when I'd first heard of Britney Spears' perfume line, I figured it would probably smell like crap. But I loved it when I tried it on myself and just had to get it.

It smells a edibly-scrumptious, a little bit fruity, and a whole heap of sugar. I kind of imagine this as the perfume equivalent to Coldstone's Cake Batter Ice Cream. I guess it's the "cupcake" note. It's a youthful, playful, casual scent, probably good for people preteen through about later 20s in my opinion, though my mom (who is in her 50s) loves this scent too.

On me it lasts about 2-6 hours I'd say, and has a strong sillage (my sister always says I'm "wafting" the scent everywhere but that it's not a bad thing).

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I tried this first at Sephora when I had about 3 different fragrances sprayed on various parts of my arm and I'd been shopping for hours. It smelled like nothing but sweet cotton candy, and I loved it. So, my mom got me a bottle for a graduation present.

However, when I tried the scent on my own skin I found it had a vaguely burnt-sugary smell, like if you're cooking your own caramel but you leave it on too long and it starts to blacken. I still like it, but it is too sweet and there's that burnt-ness to it so I don't wear it out much. I also feel like I'm a little too old for the scent (which should say something, I'm only 18).

Still, sometimes I wear it in pajamas or sitting around on weekends because it's comforting and always reminds me of going to the Fair (because of the cotton candy). Plus, this just doesn't seem to last on me at all, it rarely lasts over 2 hours on me and seems to stay close to the skin.

Nautica Classic by Nautica

Nautica doesn’t require much comment: Most of the previous reviewers have it nailed — alcoholy, cheap, one-dimensional, powdery … definitely forgettable. I get a bit of an Eternity note in there somewhere and that certainly doesn’t do anything to improve Nautica. Not a good fragrance.

Pierre Cardin Musk by Pierre Cardin

This certainly is an ‘80s fragrance: From the start, it seems rough and aggressive and not at all musky. It is actually quite resinous – almost to the point of resembling some of the darker niches. It just doesn’t change – it holds that resinous darkness until the end. Warm, yes, but fresh? – not what I’m smelling! And I never get any musk. I really believe that my sample has gone bad, which is very unfortunate, because I love this the way it performs in this sample – it’s great, it’s niche and I want to buy a bottle. I’m gong to an eye out for Pierre Cardin Musk and hope that I find one that smells like my sample – a “spoiled” one. I’m voting thumb’s up but again I must say that I don’t know if this excellent resinousness is the way it’s supposed to smell.

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

I would imagine that this particular lavender reacts in very different ways depending on the skin type. With my dry skin, it performs beautifully. Lavender can be brutal: Caron’s Pour Un Homme, for instance, has embarrassed me too many times by, without warning, becoming a sillage monster — I no longer wear it. There have been several times when I pushed Royal Scottish Lavender to its limits of application, heat, and humidity, and yet it has never “bloomed,” it has remained beautifully controlled, giving off a rich and natural and even fresh lavender note. The clove doesn’t misbehave at all and this scent has never gone medicinal or aromatic on me. Its drydown is quite quiet and dignified. If I were to name some complaints they would be that it gets a bit too powdery and that it doesn’t last long enough, but as far as its lasting power, it is a Creed so there’s no surprise. I think that naed_nitram is right, though, that Royal Scottish Lavender is quite stuffy — that’s probably why I like it so much.

Verveine by Molinard

Verveine de Molinard is a remarkable Verbena fragrance. It is fresh and clean and sparkling as only verbena can be with its dual citrus /floral nature. Such a sharp, lively, invigorating note —very few notes can compete with verbena for energetic, but rich and deep exhilaration — especially as in this fragrance with the addition of a touch of citron and musk. For a base Verveine de Molinard has a light dusting of musk and vanilla — almost transparent and, unfortunately, very short lived. As with most Eau de Colognes, Verveine suffers from lack of longevity, but it is magnificent while it lasts.

New Tradition by Etro

New Tradition begins with that sharp cologny / alcohol note that was so typical of the men’s older fragrances, likely attributable to the geranium with some help from the clove. But just as in most of the older fragrances, it quickly settles down to a very acceptable ambiance. It is still rather sharp, because of the lavender, clove, and geranium combination, but I kind of like it because it does remind me of the older fragrances, so I suppose the opening is the “tradition” part of the fragrance. The patchouli of the base is, I guess, the “new”: I can’t find anything else that qualifies. The base is pleasant, too, and lasts respectably. New Tradition is a good scent: it has quite good ingredients and is well constructed, but it is unexciting. I simply don’t see the need to resurrect a “new” past when there are loads of better traditional fragrances available for much better prices; and I don’t see the need to buy this simply because it’s an Etro when there are lots of Etros much better than this one.