Fragrance Reviews from November 2007

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

This is a fragrance of contrasts. I absolutely cannot stand the weird opening of aniseed, absinthe and more aniseed. But be patient and this turns into the most beautiful drydown of any men's perfume. Now where's that chemistry set so I can separate the topnotes from the basenotes...??

Griff's avatar

Tokyo by Kenzo

Interesting. Kenzo Tokyo is, to this nose, a layered combination of Kenzo Jungle and Kenzoair. The initial notes are more Jungle. The later, basenotes are more like Kenzoair, so much so that the drydown is virtually indistinguishable from Kenzoair. I have always admired Kenzo for its unmistakable accord apparently across all its offerings. However, one expects that each new addition to a house's line will be somewhat original. Although Tokyo is pleasant (and definitely a Kenzo product) it is totally lacking in originality.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Now that this is discontinued, I wonder what it was that I was actually smelling at the discount fragrance purveryors over the last few weeks? The bottle is not the attractive clear crystal glass that appears at the head of this review, it was swirled frosted glass, not unlike the one for Edition. It smelled all right, interesting, but not the compelling, ultra-great scent that is the subject of encomia here. And I am a total sap for great traditional fragrances, and would have snapped it up in a second if it had been anywhere near great. I am suspicious and therefore, neutral as to what is now being sold as Dunhill Men.....

Update: April 2008: I found the real Dunhill for Men at the Dunhill in NYC, and have to report it is one of the finest classic mens' fragrances I have ever tried and owned. These are the last bottles (1,000 shipped to the NY Flagship store) that will ever be made, and I bought two. May go back for more. This is a warm, sophisticated, fresh, modern timeless fragrance that is without peer. Some have suggested that this a fragrance of arrogance. I disagree. What I sense in Dunhill for Men is wit and manners. I think of William Powell, who appeared in "The Thin Man" in 1934, the same year that this fragrance was born. The well dressed 30s man may seem arrogant today in these banal and shallow times, but it is wit, style and good manners that are projected here and nothing less.

Some discount stores sell this, but it is not fresh, and it is IMHO suspect. The real Dunhill for Men is one of the all time greats.

01st November, 2007 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2009)

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Biting, bitter citrus top, woods base, classy, strong, no-nonsense, high quality, natural, lasting, some perfumey topnotes, sophisticated, business like, hardcore style, all seasons. On me, quite wearable, but only just and not more than once a month.

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

Artemisia is absolutely exquisite in a delicate, ethereal, very feminine way. It smells like a Victorian garden, filled with pink and white and yellow flowers, and white wicker furniture, on a soft, warm day. It's very summery, light, and sweet. I wish it were a bit stronger and had better lasting power, but it's so pretty it's worth applying a lot. Notes are nectarine, jasmine tea, lily, green foliage, vanilla, woods, and amber. The tea-vanilla-amber drydown is especially wonderful.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Coco Mademoiselle has been a favorite of mine for years. I used to wear only edp, but lately I've switched to edt, and I prefer it. This is, to me, the best bourbon vanilla based perfume I've ever worn. It's so rich, and enticing. I think Coco Mademoiselle is seductive, sweet, and very classy. It always gives me a boost of confidence and it collects compliments everywhere I go. Coco Mademoiselle smells very different on individual wearers, and I've noticed that it has different "moods" in cool weather and hot weather. The spices come out in cool weather, while the burnt-sugarlike bourbon vanilla just radiates from my skin in heat. I love this, and it, along with many Chanels, will always be part of my fragrance collection.

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Cashmere Mist, for me, is one of the most outstanding fragrances that has emerged in the last 15 years. It's immediately recognizable, but always impelling. I bought my first bottle when it was released in NY (1994?) and it was unheard of here in CA. When I wore it, it seemed like everyone I encountered was mesmerized by it. Cashmere Mist sales distribution caught on quickly, and, although the fragrance became ubiquitous, its ability to personalize kept it from becoming cliché. Cashmere Mist doesn't smell like a "fresh" or "airy" fragrance on me. And, fortunately, it's never once brought to mind baby wipes, (I must buy the wrong brand of wipes!). Upon first spray, Cashmere Mist has airy qualities, but it quickly becomes an ethereal woody scent, with gentle sandalwood and suede notes. It smells mysterious, and balmy. This fragrance is absolutely beautiful, and its exquisite bottle is the perfect compliment for its luxuriousness. For me, this is not a fragrance that suits working out at a gym, or grocery shopping, or other mundane activities. I wear it when I need touches of beauty and elegance to boost my confidence and calm my spirits with lovliness.

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

Oh how I wish this one was around when I got married. It would be a perfect wedding day scent. Eclat d'aprege is the ultimate feminine, bright, refreshing, uplifting perfume. To me, it blows Vera Wang right out of the water. Notes of lemon leaves and lilac blend beautifully into florals of wisteria and orange blossom. A very slight cedar drydown rounds it off perfectly. It's gorgeous. The lilac- colored liquid and the beautiful rendering of mother-and-daughter on the bottle make it perfect for bottle collectors as well as those who love the juice inside. This fragrance can be purchased relatively inexpensively on discount sites, so it's more than worth every penny. If you enjoy scents like Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace and D & G Light Blue, you will certainly love Eclat d'arpege.

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

A gorgeous, elegant gardenia...Even if you hate gardenia (which I don't), there's a chance you'll like Marc Jacobs - it's so rich and smooth. There's no peppery note here for me; the gardenia is mellowed by a fresh clear honeysuckle, and light, yet sultry ginger. This blend is tempered beautifully and never becomes a harsh, loud floral. It's feminine, warm, and very sexy. I think this is one of the finest fragrances of the 2000s, and I feel it's a classic in its own time.

Pur Désir de Gardenia by Yves Rocher

Wearing this is like crawling into the branches of a big fat fully blooming gardenia bush and getting intoxicated by the beautiful fragrance that's surrounding you. I have 3 kinds of gardenia in my yard, and YR Gardenia manages to smell like those pure gardenia flowers. I can honestly mistake it for the scent of gardenia in the air in my garden! Terrific stuff!

Ellenisia by Penhaligon's

If you love Chanel Gardenia, you're sure to love Ellenisia, (at least, if your chemistry is anything like mine). Ellenisia is a lovely, feminine gardenia-jasmine-dry vanilla concotion that smells like a warm summer breeze in a garden filled with white flowers. There's a tiny hint of white rose as the fragrance develops, but the drydown is similar to the white floral opening, with stronger dry vanilla. Ellenisia is somehow "happier" than the Gardenia, regardless of their similarities. Chanel Gardenia's garden has a ghost, but Ellenisia's garden lacks all haunting, despite its otherworldly name.

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Rich, sensual, confident...gorgeous! I love it better than original Allure - and that's saying a lot. This is one of the most perfect cool weather perfumes, ever. It's a sexy, slightly spicy vanilla-patchouli that has that special Chanel sweetness. It's so warm and inviting, and as it develops on my skin, the fragrance becomes more sultry.It's just bewitching. This collects compliments constantly. The lotion is fabulous as well

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

Délices frustrates me! I'm a bottle collector, and I want that bottle. But I haven't been able to rationalize purchasing a fragrance that bluntly refuses to be cohesive with my chemistry. (At least, in its current price range...when it gets cheaper...I'll probably cave). Aside from my attraction to the bottle, the fragrance itself is very weird for me. Upon initial spray it smells terribly familiar, but I can't call to mind what it's reminding me of. Then I get a blast of Baie Rose (pink pepper), afterwhich I get a tonka-ambery feel, and then a cherry drydown that smells similar to Grenadine...but at no time does it all blend together on my skin. The Grenadine note is odd for me, because my chemistry usually highlights deeper notes, especially tonka, therefore the cherry note winds up smelling artificial; overtly synthetic. The lasting power of Délices is mediocre, too. I'm in my third trimester of pregnancy right now, so my hormones are wreaking havoc with my scent chemsitry. I plan to try Délices in about six months, just to see if I still perceive its notes as cacaphonous. I want to like this fragrance because that bottle is really lovely.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Sultry, hauntingly beautiful, perfect redition of the air of a dry desert wind! I love, love, love this evocative, sensual fragrance. It's beautiful: dry, spicy, warm, elegant, and extremely long-lasting. It reminds me a little of POTL Luctor et Emergo sans cherry liqueur...because it has that outstanding "dryness" that must be terriby hard to capture. I am a lover of the desert, so smelling like desert air never fails to transport my senses to a place of happy moods and energy.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Guerlain Insolence is the scent-embodiment of Hamlet's beautiful but doomed lover, Ophelia; doe-eyed, filled with passion, overcome by madness. Gertrude adorns Ophelia's grave with violets, saying, "Sweets to the sweet"; a simple phrase that, combined with the symbolism of the violets, manages to evoke both love and tragedy. Insolence is a watery, very sweet violet fragrance, with notes of tart raspberry, pink and red roses, very blue iris, and a balsamy drydown. In 2007 I wouldn't expect or want Guerlain to release a L'Heure Bleue or Après l'Ondée, but, dare I say it: Insolence calls both to my mind. There is a romantic, melancholic beauty to Insolence. It's not apparent in the light, fresh topnotes, but give Insolence an hour, and you'll find yourself with an intricate, deeply emotional fragrance. The name and the marketing seem so "off" that I wonder if Guerlain came up with the concept and the "face" before Roucel actually presented this unusual, unique creation. I find the marketing for this fragrance almost hilarious: "The irreverent scent of youth, daring, and freedom..."?? Velvet Rope may fit this description, but the nearly fragile Insolence simply does not. Insolence is more "Mélancolie dans le printemps," or "Féminité aigre-douce". This fragrance is an extremely feminine, graceful scent; delicate, and almost ethereal. If I'd smelled Insolence, and then been told that Hilary Swank was going to be the "face" for this scent, I'd have laughed and thought it was a joke. Nothing against Swank, but her persona is just not the embodiment of this haunting, crystalline perfume. Diana Vishneva as Giselle would have been perfect for the Insolence I know and adore. (I'm no marketer, obviously. I'm just thrilled that I gave this fragrance a chance, because I would have missed out on something truly beautiful if I'd overlooked Insolence based upon its advertising. Plus, it is a Guerlain, after all!) My husband says he loves Insolence on me, which makes it extra special. The color of the jus, and the pretty bottle suit this fragrance well. Insolence is absolutely lovely.

Gold by Donna Karan

Gold is a beautiful fragrance; very much along the lines of Marc Jacobs, with lily instead of gardenia. It stirs my imagination into thinking its a penthouse-in-Manhattan-then-weekend-in-the-Hamptons kind of scent. I'm wearing Gold right now, and as it develops, I'm smelling less lily, and more of a smooth, somewhat spicy "gold" smell that's warm and sensual. The bright lily notes are great for morning rush, and the spicier, golden tones are perfect for evening...and the morning after. The bottle is gorgeous - truly a perfume-bottle-work-of-art. To me, this fragrance comes across as a well-done, feminine, sultry fragrance. It smells "high quality" and it's very classy. I love that it's a lily-woody-musk, because that's refreshingly unique and so creative. This fragrance is suitable for a work environment, but it makes me envision it in an office with a panoramic view, solid cherry furniture, and Italian leather chairs. The Gold-wearer sits behind a large desk in this office, the view of the city at her back. At dinner-time, the Gold wearer has a table reserved for her in an exclusive restaurant that most people don't know exists. In the evening she goes home to a scented bath that has been drawn for her, and a bed that has been turned down. The mood of this fragrance is that of a highly independent, very successful woman who shows no vulnerability, but can be quite sexy when and if she chooses to. Gold brings to mind Glenn Close's character, Patty Hewes, on the TV drama, Damages, or Linda Fairstein's dynamic DA, Alexandra Cooper. Gold embodies the kind of woman that NEVER loses any game she plays, and when (not if) she wins, she has record-breaking scores.

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

A clear, spicy rose; reminiscent of Frederic Malle Une Rose. Cinnamon topnotes are delightful, and the overall rose is pure, and very natural. This isn't a sweet rose scent, nor is it powdery. It's rich and elegant, and quite distinctive. Some perfumes just smell expenisve, whether they are or not, and Rose Absolue smells expensive. It's obviously of high quality, and masterful blending. It's alluring, and the lasting power is excellent. Don't let the "rose" scare you away if you're normally not a rose fan - this is not a violet-rose, or a powdery-rose, or a rosewater rose...it's along the lines of Gres Cabaret, or a spicy Stella...sensual, and striking.

Smiley by Smiley Beauty

For years, I've been reading negative reviews about Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune's "b.o." and "cat urine" notes. Well, I've found a fragrance that evokes such odors for me. Smiley, of all things! I found this revolting; like cheap, obnoxious aftershave. I try to be open-minded about fragrances, but this one just repulsed me. (Please don't be offended if you love this. It just hates my particular chemistry, unfortunately.) On me, Smiley's blend of notes is cacaphonous and utterly annoying. I'll try it again in six months...maybe I've having a negative hormonal reaction or something. Sadly, I can't smell any orange, chocolate, praline or Curaçao. I get bergamot and patchouli, and something incensey. These notes sound good, but they're not good on me. In fact, Smiley smells okay when I sniff the sample. The positive thing (for anyone else) about this scent is that it's as strong as pure patchoulli oil on a hot humid day. I could not wash the stuff off.

Ailleurs et Fleurs by The Different Company

The sample I tried is called Un Parfum d'Ailleurs & Fleurs, which gives a completely different meaning to what the fragrance is supposed to evoke (flowers, rather than leaves). I can't find a fragrance with the name listed by Basenotes, so I think the name is a typo. Un Parfum d'Ailleurs & Fleurs is a very pretty, watery fresh floral, but it's pedestrian. I was expecting a dewy, haunting floral that might last awhile, but it's weak on me. This fragrance has a beautiful rendition of orange blossom, but the tuberose and other florals never quite emerge. The drydown is a gentle musk; the kind that's perfect for crowded elevators and allergy-sensitive co-workers. I'd love this if it had more "oomph" but it smells like it's trying to be careful not to offend anyone. In my opinion, tuberose fragrances should never do this. This is a pretty fragrance, but it doesn't beg me to buy it, and the bottle is boring.

Secrets D'Essences Voile d'Ambre by Yves Rocher

To me, Voile d'Ambre smells classically beautiful, sensual, and elegant. It's a very "womanly" fragrance, like Chanel No. 5, Obsession, or Must de Cartier. If you like warm, ambery, seductive fragrances, do try this one. It's of very high quality, and its lasting power is excellent. It reminds me a lot of Estee Lauder Intuition, but Intuition gets a "maple sugar" note sometimes on my skin, and I don't like it. Voile d'Ambre just stays warm, ambery, and smooth; it smells like amber-colored silk would smell, if it had a fragrance. Yes, in the past Yves Rocher has had some downright "cheap" products, but this is not one of them. Even though the price is reasonable, there's no mistaking the quality and craftsmanship in this sexy and lovely fragrance.

bront82's avatar

Monk by Michael Storer

Mmmmmm ... musty like a basement or a wet old library. Not really my cup of tea, especially considering I was hoping for incense. I can see the Goth reference here, but it's like a dirty Goth's dorm room, picture heaps of unwashed clothing. It does pick up a bit after a while, but I can't imagine spraying myself with this after I've just showered. I think I might get looks if I turned up smelling like this. That said, it is interesting.

Gilturko's avatar

Rose Poivrée by The Different Company

Scent of roses on the mouillette... no roses nor pepper on my wrists, just a strange note of flowers rotting in a pot of water, if I breath on it. If just smelling it is a picking scent, but imho it doesn't contain anything animalic. Smell like Jean Couturier's Coriandre, like a 70's perfume. Good, very feminine but almost unisex in its drydown, long lasting but not the overrated wonder described by Chandler Burr.

dagwoodbowser's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

MKK: Definitely a sexy, erotic in your face Musk that is like a walking, olfactory art gallery. I enjoy wearing it, but it's what I wear on dates, clubbing or for that special intimate moment. Due to cost, probably the most expensive of most of the other musks, I save it and savor the oozing droplets for the naughty women, especially if these are the kind of women that get off on scent and are going to be devouring along my love trail. For the purpose of what Musk is for, MKK wins hands down.

dagwoodbowser's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A walking olfactory work of art! However, I love the stuff. It's flamboyant, sexy and sticks to you like glue. Somehow when I wear MR I just fell confident. Could potentially turn off some guys as it does have a thick, sweetness to it especially at first spray.You'll have to be the type of guy that can pull it off cause The dry down is mellower and that's when the "dirty" feelings come in. I loved the stuff so much I purchased the oil version. Much more linear that the spray. The EDT is the bomb! I wear this for the ladies, but definitely for that special "lady" that you want to impress and have her remember your smell long after your gone. I swear I’ve sprayed it on like at 8pm and by the following mid-day the stuff is still on you. My Fav cologne!!

fernwood's avatar

Man of Aran by Burren Perfumery

I read about the Burren Perfumery being the oldest perfume makers in Ireland. They use the steam distillation method taking about 6 months and bottle by hand. I was intrigued so I bought this blind. It starts out with the sour citrus as noted . Different --more like a sweet grapefruit scent. This fades somewhat but never fully goes away. The drydown is very subtle. Green woods that somehow compliment the sour citrus . I like it. It's a change from the usual sweeter citrus scents. It's great for summer. I find I wear this more often. Completely naturally produced -I feel good wearing this and like the scent. mjclark is right -lasts about 6 hours and is gone without a trace-

Graeme's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Just bought a sample of this stuff and I have to say this stuff is great. The smell is sophisticated but subdued. I can't wait to try some of Creed's other scents.

Midnight_lulu's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Delightfully bizzare yet, at the same time, familiar and exciting, "Alien" is the brisk, pistachio-like scent of an evening out under a dark, starry night sky or cruising with the windows down and "raisin' hell". It's an experience scent, where another fragrance exists within a fragrance--as part of a story, on a character in a specific time and place. This smells like getting away for a night after an event or holiday...and making out under the stars: Fresh, overly minty breath from spray and gum or menthol drops, perhaps a lingering scent of cheery-sweet cigars and coffee...you've worn your best, sultry fragrance and it's radiating off your skin...and the euphoric briskness of night air sneaks through cracked windows. This is a modern scent that couldn't be mistaken for any place or time before the 1990's---except as 90's cultural nod to 1950's pulp comics, t-birds, pinups and mod appeal...and, perhaps, medicinal rubs of the 1800's (the kind that smelled more like herbal perfume than medicine). This is the scent of "bad" before people grow up and understand what "bad" really means. Provocative, surprisingly nostalgic and exciting! I root for "Alien" because it's so dang weird and seems to embrace its playful weirdness. How can I snub my nose at that?

Midnight_lulu's avatar

Gold by Donna Karan

A lovely, distinctive fragrance that manages to stand out besides its peers, "Gold" remains typically subtle and smooth a'la Donna Karen, while venturing into a place of mythic anthropology. This is a heady floral scent that never becomes precious, yet a flashy metallic scent that warms into creamy comfort on drydown.

Smooth spicy notes trickle throughout "Gold", so to invoke an image of oxidated metal--much like the earthy spiciness of rust contrasted by its polished predecessor; think ancient jewelry or artifacts. However, the dominent sensation here is that of mature honeysuckle and golden jojoba; the unique, oily sweetness of a midsummer's flower and precious vegetal oils and waxes. While lily is a star player in this scent, the lily here is not of the cold, bouquet-of-purity variety--it's a smooth, velvety lily of cream and green and the result is a warm, rounded scent more reminiscent of hidden flowers of the forest than those displayed in funeral homes. There is also a slight hint of freshness and moisture here which reminds me of midnight dew in a moonlit garden, or the coolness of night air on desert sand.

This unusual scent isn't for everyone...and isn't a "pretty-baby" like many fruity-floral competition. However, it's interesting and references adventure, eccentricity and confidence.

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Bowling Green ?
    It's bowling Green without the air filter box.
    Fresh and classy.

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Even though I don't like it, this is the best of all the Evergreen colognes.
    There is a sense of refinement and pleasant undertone that makes the over-powering Juniper and Pine tolerable.

I wouldn't wear it, but it's still the best Evergreen cologne I've smelled.