Fragrance Reviews from November 2007

Chocolat by Il Profumo

A more subtle and reticent A*men. The chocolate presented is not as sweet as in A*men — it’s more like cocoa powder with vanilla and some smoothing agents. It certainly is a smooth chocolate accord and I like the fact that it isn’t too in-your-face. It’s very linear — I really don’t determine any variation from beginning to end except for the dispersal of the short citrus blast in the opening and the gradually weakening of the scent with time. I imagine that, as a niche fragrance, it really is not designed to suit everybody; with all the variations in skin types and olfactory interpretations, there are likely a few people out there who might find this the perfect chocolate scent — not me — but someone. Definitely a unisex fragrance, probably more inclined toward the masculine.

Il Giardino by Michael Storer

I do get a sort of garden scent out of this at first—lots of heavy green. As it stays on my skin, it gets heavier and a bit bitter, as others have mentioned — it must be the violet leaf. When the florals enter in, I think that they are too floral for my taste. The drydown is sweet and musky and lasts a long time. Heavy green, bitter, too floral: All in all, I’m not very impressed with this fragrance.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

According to legend, Mr. Mori was hungry and asked for his assistant to bring him an ice cream sundae. His assistant brought this back (EdP) instead. Yes, it is an ode to the ice cream sundae complete with cherries, vanilla, and chocolate. Now, on paper, you'd think this would come off as some dimestore teenage girl fragrance. However, the perfumer has done a masterful job in mixing the ingrediants particularly the chocolate which is very subtle. Probably the creamiest fragrance out there. Lasts long past dinner time so you'll have something to nibble on before bed.

markc's avatar

Costes by Hôtel Costes

Very nice. Spice, Clove, a bit of florals. I did walk past the Hotel Costes earlier this year. I should have stepped in to compare.

mstrocovie's avatar

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Just sampled this today and well..... green and scary were my first thoughts and then as it developed and dried down , a fine sandalwood note ( one of my faves) leaves me sniffing my wrists for hours. Very unique fragrance and I'm glad I tried it.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

L'Eau Homme by S.T. Dupont

I was surprised when I tested this one: It's watery, ok, but It's more floral than properly aquatic... Starts with a nice sweet, almost bubble-gummy smell that only lasts 1-2 minutes and then, the flowers take control surrounded buy a powdery aura. Good Longevity and some sillage. Very similar to Herrera Aqua for 1/2 the price!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Wrappings by Clinique

Try as I may (and I have tried many times!)to enjoy this seasonal wonder - for me, it will never be the lovely scent described by previous reviewers. Wrappings comes off heavy & dense, basically containing way too much of every note listed! A single whiff hits me like a punch in the face! As my young son (almost 9 years old) says "Oh man! That burns my nose!"

ubuandibeme's avatar

Falling In Love by Philosophy

Falling In Love is pure fairytale clean, sweet & innocent. Lemons and blackberry burst forth then quietly calm to a comfortable light musk tinged with vanilla. Frankly, it's a little too clean for my taste. (Amazing Grace from this same house is preferable to me, it's less fruity.) What draws me to this scent is the 'philosophy' of the brand. Little life lessons/beliefs are written for each product and printed on the labels ~ which I love! Especially nice for young women, who seem to appreciate these neat & clean aromas too! While I won't be wearing this fragrance, I will be purchasing it to give as gifts this Christmas.

fuzzybutt59's avatar

Léonard Eau Fraîche by Léonard

crisp,clean,refreshing fragrance.not much different to any other citrussy eau fraiche.very similar to o de lancome,even the bottle is the same.though i prefer this to o de lancome as it lasts longer and has a more natural less chemical scent.the bath products are especially good.

fuzzybutt59's avatar

Millennium Hope by Jivago

nothing very special about this fragrance apart from the stunning bottle.clean smelling,citrus floral.not very long lasting.not one i would buy again.

odysseusm's avatar

Spiced Limes by Anglia Perfumery

Spiced Limes is a very satisfying, classy scent. The opening citrus notes are aromatic, with an amazing depth, substance and longevity. My comment (not a criticism) is that the notes are citrus-y rather than simply lime-y. The spices are woody and very well blended. The spices interact with the vetiver, deepening and mellowing and becoming richer as the scent develops. The vetiver is not dominant, it simply supports the spices. The transition from citrus to deep (not heavy) spice gives a shift from day to night; cerebral to sensual.

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Maybe Baby by Benefit

This is a sweet and comforting scent with a hint of woody, spicy something. I wear it on days off - my small daughter without fail grabs me by the collar, sticks her nose into my neck, resurfaces and says, mmm, you smell lovely Muma. Which is a good reason to wear it.

rodent's avatar

France France

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

love at first sniff for me. this baby is actually quite original - anyone who says it smells like "any other fresh scent" is not paying close enough attention. the use of raspberry gives it a fruity touch that is quite unique (in the same way that pear in Dior's "Higher" was quite original), and the anise offers a very different cooling effect to the usual mint that one finds more commonly. the combination is clean, yet rich and quirky.

the light touch with the fruit notes makes this much more subtle than past Diesel male fragrances, which have either been cloyingly sweet (e.g. Green) or over-the-top gourmandy (zero plus, zero plus plus.)

so - i like it. give it a shot if you're willing to judge it on its own merits. if you're going to leap to judgements anyway because it's Diesel and therefore must be only for shallow skinny twenty-somethings, or if you thought that Dior's "higher" was a fresh scent like any other and didn't appreciate the pear - pass this one by.

Update 07/09: Hmm, my fondness for this frag has petered out after the first few months. It's still quite inventive, but I find it a bit overwhelmingly synthetic and harsh. And the sweetness -- while not excessive -- has the same dry high-pitched aggressiveness as other "young" sweet scents like Black XS or Zero Plus Plus. On balance, I'd say this is more of a cold-weather scent -- and you'd better like it, because it's so powerful that it'll be radiating its sweet fruity waves at you for hours.

20th November, 2007 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2009)

Équipage by Hermès

Smells exactly like what's used to soften cow's udders

Bag Balm/Udder Balm.

No good.

Purple Water by Asprey

Grape quarter water. ha.
    Good scent for a female, cause it's not too flowery or powdery, just sweet.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Y'all were right.
    Lime, lemon Pledge, and cigarettes.
    Not for me.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

It's alright.
    Not too sweet, but a little too much flowers.
    Also I smell fresh cut Green Bell & Poblano Peppers.
    It's cool. Different.

Gendarme Sky by Gendarme

I've been in the sky.
    No chlorine or Dishsoap there.

TeriBoBerrry's avatar

So Pink by Gap

Smells so awsome and clean! Everytime I wear it, I spray it all over my clothes, my hair, my neck and arms, and I just want to hug myself! It smells like fresh pink grapefruits...a smell that everyone can appreciate.

lally's avatar

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

Absolutely love this fragrance... smells of sugars and almonds and honey on me. The only complaint I have is that I have to reapply if often; it does not have great staying power. It is my "comfort" perfume.

Schachman's avatar

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

I also found this at TJMaxx for a good price - and decided to give it a try! In my opinion, it's a great evening frag - I love the neroli, but it's the basenotes that are the best! I don't feel that it's too heavy or overbearing, and in fact refreshing. I've gotten a few compliments from some of my female friends!

The opening is a little rich, but wait a little while for the smooth and creamy base... wonderful!

BigBadWolf's avatar

Norway Norway

cK one by Calvin Klein

I just started getting really interested in fragrances. Now I realize I've never gotten a compliment about my smell when I use cK One. And I've been using this for several years.

I still think it smells good and fresh, so maybe it's just me who can't pull of something so feminine. Whatever it is, this one doesn't work at all for me.

prettybird's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I started wearing this perfume in 1999 and haven't found one since that rivals it. I get endless compliments on how great I smell from men and women of all ages. My only problem is that I first started wearing it because I though it smelled like the beach, but over the years I feel like it has lost a bit of its exoticness. I am convinced that they changed something at some point, I just don't know what it is.

F_Frez's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I smelled it together with Antidote for men... it felt nice but it gave me the sensation of an aroma not plenty original, smelled on another perfume.

It starts with sweet flowers, a bit fresh, with notes of bergamot an tea. Middle notes appears quickly, dominated by freesia in a Ralph Lauren's Romance or Lancome's Miracle remembrance, plus other notes I felt like a floral mix. The base is sweet, like orchid plus sugar or caramel, and maybe a soft wood and vanilla noticeable since the beginning.

Very feminine, flowers fit well at summer and the vanilla is nice at winter. A bit complex for daytime use, better for office or evening use, for women between 25-45 years old.

F_Frez's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I tried it just because the advertisement looked funny, like a fragrance used to invocate a "delicate" ghost or the reincarnation of an austrian pianist from the 17th century. Surprisingly, it smelled very traditional and masculine.

It had a classic start with citric bergamot, mandarines and grapefruit, a bit of mint and something like anise. At middle notes some green notes appeared, some soft cardamom notes and traces of lavender... at this point the anise disappears. At base notes it had classical woody notes, sandalwood, cedar and patchouli.

The fragrance was made following a "fair-play" style, avoiding to break rules or defining new schemas, and tends to be another classical cologne. The start was nice but the last notes were traditional ones. For daytime or office use, maybe it should be unnoticeable at evening use. Fresh and spicy notes works fine at summer and winter. Range of age between 25 and 45 years old men.

JaimeB's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

Not earthshaking, but decent. Of course, we expected more, but for $60 a bottle? Get real. The Extreme will be better, but this is as good as a lot of stuff I've paid more than $60 for.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

Soapy; standard conventional; inoffensive green smelling; mens club bathroom smell. Nice. All right. Reminds me of the the glass cylindrical containers in golf course mens rooms with the comb in the blue water. Who ever actually uses those combs? Who would use this? Oh, right, my dear departed dad would I guess. A cologne of happy memory.

21st November, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2008)

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Imagine if you will a red balloon covered in talcum powder. It explodes and out bursts an airy mix of cinnamon, crushed anise & cloves. This is what Luten's Rousse wants to be. Too good to be relegated to the drugstore. Next time you're picking up aspirin & Q-Tips, do us a favor and pick up some 0+.

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Let me first say that this is not your father's leather scent. Nor is it your mother's. And it's not "English" or "Spanish". Cuiron exists without distinction or comparison. It can only be categorized as the best leather ever created, up there with the finest scents ever known to man. Happiness would be a window-less, poorly ventilated room with only a bottle of Cuiron to keep you company.

The scent opens with a dark plum and pepper that is neither fruity or sharp. Gradually, the leather starts to grab hold, like a leather glove on a cold day. Leather here is manly yet never overpowering. More of a new leather jacket smell than a worn one. But in reality, that jacket never smelled this good. Musk slowly creeps into the picture to finish off this potion. When it ends, don't be surprised to find yourself reaching for another spritz. This stuff is addictive. Don't say I didn't warn you!

markc's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

I like it (hence the thumbs up), but wish it projected more, and wish I got more wood out of it. It is very sweet as some have mentioned. I really don't think it is named very well. I would love to have something that evokes the redwood forest among the giant sequoias but this one just isn't it.