Fragrance Reviews from December 2007

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

Versace l'Homme by Versace

To me, similar to Armani Eau Pour Homme but in my opinion better blended, smoother and with greater sillage and longevity. Very fresh citrus in a sophisticated way, for the office and daytime. Too lively for evening wear but you may disagree. I smelled a new release by another designer today then this later. I sigh at what high quality (in every aspect) fragrances like this used to be. This one included.

01st December, 2007 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2008)

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

Versace Man by Versace

All the notes in the pyramid to me all to become one mass. And that is berry/fruit/liquor, that's all I seem to get. Not horrible, but a bit synthetic and just not really for me. Not bad sillage and lasts, even after washing you may still catch a whiff of it.

MonkeyManMatt's avatar
    MonkeyManMatt

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

After the first three catastrophic releases for men, Cavalli´s Black is big step forward. By no means a particularly orginial fragrance, but instead a very plesant one. Basically a subtle and rustic amber with strong notes of dry lavender and a noticeable white pepper. Very italian in it´s overall feel.

Initially the longevity may seem limited, but Black sticks around for quite a while but without major sillage. The late drydown is in fact it´s most rewarding stage, This is where the tonka bean in the base steps up and sweetens the deal significantly.

To those that might feel Caron´s Pour un Homme is a tad old fashioned and stuffy Roberto Cavalli Black is a nice alternative. Of course with such a trade what you´ll gain in wearability you´ll lose in complexity and quality.

MonkeyManMatt's avatar
    MonkeyManMatt

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

Along with Baldessarini Ambré Lacoste Elegance is one of many signs that the mainstream fragrance licence holders like Procter & Gamble are finally moving in the right direction, albeit terribly slowly.

Elegance is an almost embarrasingly simple amber scent with a semi-gourmand base. Not very good but certainly no disaster like Essential etc.

If P&G keeps up this development for another 2-3 scents we´ll end up with something on par with Lacoste Booster.
    Let´s hope they do.

Renato's avatar
    Renato

Versus Time for Energy by Versace

The woman in the shop said that Time for Energy was plainly a masculine scent. I wasn't too sure, but bought it anyway, as I smelled an interesting blend of citrus and tea, though it seemed unisex to me - not particularly masculine at all.

Later my wife smelled it and said that it just smelt of woods to her, which was the same impression as that of the woman in the shop. Very puzzled, I asked what she meant. She said it was like lemon tree wood, the same sort of smell you get when you pluck a lemon from a tree. She has a better nose than I have.

Certainly worth checking out for a different sort of summery scent.
    Renato

Wordbird's avatar
    Wordbird
    Wales Wales

Blu Notte by Bulgari

I really wanted to try this fragrance after reading the notes - how delicious they sound! In fact, it's all handled with such admirable restraint that this is not the extraordinary confection I had wondered about.

This is a very well-mannered fragrance that has a lovely sheerness to it and a very pleasant rounded warmth. It's dignified and quietly sensual - I get slight hints of the dark chocolate base note but overall would have thought the base was more ambery and slightly woody.

To me this is a sheer lightly gourmand oriental. It would be a pretty safe gift.

01st December, 2007 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2008)

carlos-uk's avatar
    carlos-uk

Noir by Christian Lacroix

A gorgeous, spicy winter warmer on offer from Christian Lacroix. Completely inoffensive and not drastically remarkable but simply clean and pleasent. I couldn't imagine this being suitable for Office wear, it has too much a nighttime feel to it. Therefore I would guess an ideal club or date fragrance. I'd say more casual than formal so unlikely to sit well with a shirt and tie but hey, perhaps an open topped white shirt, a steel Rolex and a Black Armani would work.

's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have to admit that indulge myself, spray a bit on the back of my hand and forearm before I go to bed, and curl up into my pillow and have the best sleep. I use it only on the weekends, maybe too strong for the office. I'm drunk with it, it's a scent that has a long longevity, it's there the next afternoon if I've not washed.
    It's a smoky rich scent that's not at sweet even though there's honey in there, or I think so.
    Again, it's my favourite indulge. Diam Blond now has competition too.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Apparition Homme by Ungaro

I dislike scents where anise and/or licorice are dominant, as in this Ungaro offering.

atrac's avatar
    atrac

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I smelled the tester sticker on the box and liked the smell. I then sprayed the tester bottle on the top of my hand and was immediately repulsed. As the scent dried down, it got even worse. The resulting smell was something I spent the rest of the evening trying to scrub off of my hand.

I get a very heavy Juniper Berry smell from this, which is a scent that I am *not* a big fan of (read: HATE). So if you are a fan of it (notably not even mentioned in the pyramid), you'll like this one. If you are fan of Michael Jordan Original, Very Sexy 2 for Him, or Very Cool by Tommy Bahama, this will fit right in to your wardrobe rather nicely.

01st December, 2007 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2008)

elgab89's avatar
    elgab89

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

This is a hate it / love it perfume. I am in the second category. Yes, it is dark; yes, it is heavy; yes, it is strong. However, I do not see anything wrong with this. I cannot understand why people see it as a "naughty" perfume? And "mediocre" it certainly is not. Very far from it. I actually find it quite darring and intriguing. No mediocre perfume would create so much debate...

FullCircle's avatar
    FullCircle

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

What an incredible perfume! Like those before me, I consider this scent a work of art. How can you start out so earthy and end so ethereal and bloom-y? My initial impression was one of cold, wet, pond scum...then quickly onto dark, rich, and soaked earth, and finally a bloom of spring flowers. Amazing journey! CB I Hate Perfume calls this scent a Metamorphosis scent. Yep, it'll take you for a ride all right. I was so struck by how closely this resembled water and earth, that I almost felt cheated when it turned bloom sweet and the dirt disappeared. It happened quickly too...within 10 minutes. Other than the novelty of this changeling scent, the drydown is very nice if not a skosh generic. I do think this is FBW, but I'm not sure I wouldn't waste it all playing show-n-tell on all my friends.

naqshbandi's avatar
    naqshbandi

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I just went and bought the Parfum version of Mitsouki for a cool 100 euros but it is such a gorgeous smell it is worth it! The parfum version isn't hard to find in Europe...

Initially a bit too sickly sweet but v quickly settles into a lovely warm and gorgeous fragrance...

markolomeu's avatar
    markolomeu

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I, as a young 20-something, have recently taken a very keen interest in my appearance and cultivating a personal sense of style and dress. Why? Maybe becasue I am so sick of adolescent or juvinile behavior and the trends that my age group champions. Who needs two closets full of Abercrombie and Fitch attire in the city?

Anyway, without meaning to ramble, part of defining my personal style and adventuring in a more adult look as I move on with work and life, has been finding the right pieces (suits, jackets, shoes etc) that go with the occasion or situation. Part of completing that individual look or feel is in the cologne or fragrance I wear.

So on a random dare, and yes, led by the BIG name, I tried Gucci Pour Homme. I now own two bottles; one sits on my dresser and the other sits in my lower dresser drawer, in case I suddenly realize I am out of the first bottle and need a back up!

This fragrence is bold, masculine and solid; qualities that seem to be abset from most male fragrences these days. The top notes of white pepper and ginger literally explode from the bottle when first sprayed, almost with a ferocious bite that is invigerating and powerful - not many fragrences can make you feel awake and focused with one sniff. After the initial blast, the pepper/ginger slows drastically to reveal a woody, slightly sharp middle, which nicely enforces the initial spice in the mixture. After a few minutes, what is left of the mighty opening and clean and crisp middle is a warm scent of leather, nicely buffeted by touches of amber and subtle flashes of vetiver.

This is a favorite of mine. As a teen I received some pretty awful "presents" in the form of cologne, most of which I wouldn't use to freshen a smeely bathroom. This, however, is overtly masculine, raw and strong at first and then subtle and calm. It's well mixed and the designer had a clear definition of what they believed a man should smell like, and cleaverly bottled it.

It's wonderful in the cooler evenings, around dinner events, and late night dates; this smell has been known to insite some cozying from my female companion! Hopefully I can find other fragrences that speak out and stand out as much as this does on me...

etude's avatar
    etude
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Have to stick up for this one, it takes five minutes for the citrus to settle down, then it's a unique and punchy scent for about twenty minutes. From here it is short lasting, smelling fresh and inoffensive for an hour or two, and a close to the skin wood base after that.

very youthful in its liveliness, always an interesting if not manageable fragrance.

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

Oh, dear, this is my style! I am trying really hard not buying this one! If it wasn´t for a number of chypres already being in my wardrobe, I would have bought this one already. Fluel for Life is a nouveau-chypre, if I have informed myself correct. It is a pitty it is so strongly market, it doas not feel exclusive at all! I have a 7 mL sample-bottle of it, so I can really make my mind up on this frag.

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

Being a pelargonium-addicted as well, Covet is a must for me! So very few female fragances has geranium as a note. And, yes, I can smell the scented pelargonium "Graveolens" the very first minute after application, than the note mixures with the others. The frag is fresh and easy to wear, and the bottle is really beautiful. I like Lovely more than Covet, but both have their places in my collection.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Haven´t bought NR "for Her" to myself, but managed to talk DH into buing NR "for Him"! And I am really happy he did! It is a different frag, very silent, but there all the time, and adorable for me to sniff during the day! It really suits his skin! Worth a try!

supermarky's avatar
    supermarky

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

this is a very exciting perfume that somehow seems to pull off what a lot of the fragrances its compared to don't really: mixing a bunch of kinky funky elements to result in a fragrance that is really seductive.

although when I wore it in class the other day and put too much on the teacher just said she smelled something very chemical and the way she krinkled her nose it appeared she clearly wasn't loving it.

this is a perfume for your modern wearer, musically it's the like the fragrance equivalent of a Bartok piano concerto or something.

LiveJazz's avatar
    LiveJazz

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Wow, this is one of the more unique fragrance experiences I've had in awhile. I think everyone's comments so far have been valid. Depending on what you're thinking when you smell it, it can smell like Vicks, fruit, cloves, pepper, patchouli or frankincense. However, it does not smell overdone; despite its many opposing characteristics, it strikes me as rather minimalist and dry. I must admit that I was slightly put off by the (it's true) harsh opening. I thought of a minty and smoky version of L'Anarchiste, and I smelled a strong clove note. But where L'Anarchiste puts me off, this intrigues me. It doesn't have the same sickly aura about it. The drydown focuses more on the frankincense and patchouli, while the fruit peeks from the background. This is a wonderful, wonderful drydown. I'll have to sample it a few more times to make up my mind, but there is a very good chance this is bottle worthy for me.

Wordbird's avatar
    Wordbird
    Wales Wales

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Ah, a fragrance that lives up to the hype.
    I didn't get any candyfloss (cotton candy) but I got the animals - the tigers, the horses, the dung, the fur and sweet hay. Fantastic. Not a perfume to wear to church, but all the more wonderful for that.
    I wish Santa would bring me a large bottle.

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This smells like your granfather after he gets a shave and a haircut...
    That is, if your grandfather was French and a sixty something silver fox with mistresses of both sexes and he gets his haircut at the most exclusive Paris salon on the Champs Elysee before he goes to work as a foreign dignitary or male model or Art dealer or perhaps all three. Menage a trois anyone?
    This is the kind of scent that makes you want to get busy with a sexy Senior; but say it in French, oui? And if you're younger and you wear it, it makes you seem all grown up. Maybe a wee bit stodgy at times...but just because it's so good, eight and half stars out of ten. You really just can't go wrong with the Saint Larent fragrances. Do they use better ingredients than everyone else? What's their secret? Nevermind...it should be mysterious!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

One of the best cedar frags, although I don't see any cdedar in the notes. I like it better than it's blue label version, although this can be boring sometimes. It does have excellent staying power, and it does smell very manly without being oldmanish. The green openiings give it a fresh start while the cedary finish is dry and crisp. Very well done.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

I have come to appreciate gourmands, and this is one of my favs. It is not sophisticated, it is not perfumy. Instead, it is soft, delicate and delicious vanillaic, like angel food cake or something. I bought it for my wife and she enjoys it as much as I do. If you love (not just like) vanilla, you should try this. Works best on a summer day or an errand Saturday in the spring. Well done.

catbirdptp's avatar
    catbirdptp

Nanette Lepore by Nanette Lepore

I was at the mall yesterday with a friend who has always loved this perfume. She had never bucked up and bought it but now sephora offers a roll on version and my friend purchased it. After smelling it on me yesterday I knew from the start that I am destined to borrow her roll on all the time.
    Nannette Lepore is a beautiful rosy perfume. It is ultra feminine and is surprisingly alluring because of it's femininity. The rose topnotes stay strong for the whole time that the perfume lasts. The perfume is light and it doesn't change much as you wear it. the sandal wood takes nannette lepore from little girl's trot through an english rose garden to a sophisticated romantic's dreams of a time of innocence and little pink dresses of the past. All poetic imagery aside, nannette lepore is a gorgeous, light, girly, everyday perfume. Very wearable and it creates a aura of love and happiness around the wearer.

Rose by Caron

(edp) a warm & dusky, rich rose.. w/ great blend of geranium, iris & vanilla(all subtle) that makes it slightly spicy, sweet & powdery. doesn't lose the rose note. glamorous & cozy at the same time. Love! I agree that it dries down very similar to Or et Noir.

L'Arte di Gucci by Gucci

A rich red rose, a lil sweet & spicy but not that heavy vanilla sweet, not powdery, almost like Ce Soir Ou Jamais in the redness & clearness, but more womanly from touch of tuberose (not my fave note but works great here) & spice, dark wood base but rose doesn't disappear. LOVE IT! ok for day if applied lightly, o/w definite evening scent. I think I even like it better than Or Et Noir.

Mystère by Rochas

Unique, deep dark oriental, also seems like chypre. Spicy oomph at first, exotic & not too sweet. Tames down, a little.. dries to a cobalt blue silkiness, with rich dark wood underneath. pretty good sillage & duration. Drydown reminds me of Knowing- cool dark woods & flowers w/soft musk. But this has alot more pizazz! 2nd try- Full moon clear sky kind of feel.. not so soft & cozy, more moody. I love this but just for once in a while.

Diva by Ungaro

I got a smpl of this from a lovely swapper who knew I was into roses.. So glad! bc I would have never checked it out o/w. (um, the name, and that no one mentions it!) I've been looking for a wearable rosy chypre that's nice for day, and this is just right! Its notes are soft & muted but definitely there.. not so overblended that you can't pick anything out. The iris adds a tiny touch of powder that goes great w/ the oakmoss & wood. there's a smidgen of spice.. but this is different from all those incensy roses I have, definitely more like a classic chypre, but w/o a lot of twang & musk. Super mix of elegance & earthiness.. LOVE!!

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

I smell like air! nice fresh air like when I'm hiking, novel to me but no reason for me to wear it. I like more scent to my scents! to each her own