Fragrance Reviews from December 2007

Nitromusk's avatar

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

Well done cedar fragrance. . Tumulte is based on Cedar. This fragrance is roughly 93% cedar and 7% other stuff. The other stuff being a dash of juniper/cade oil adding a very slight tarry character to the core cedar accord (composed of four difference types of cedar, including the camphoracious Texas cedar), and some incense that emerges later in the dry down. At all times cedar is front and center.

There are no citrus ,ozonic, floral, musk, vanilla, precious wood notes here. Just cedar.

This fragrance can create some olfactory habituation. You will get flashes of it over several hours as your nose saturates/desaturates from all the cedar. Tumulte lasts 6-8 hours on me.

varon's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

old spice classic,very soft,great for after shower,shave or just feelig relaxed watching tv.ciao!

InsaneInTheMembrane's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A very masculine scent. I actually was not impressed initially; it reminded me of countless uber-musk perfumes that I tend to dislike. However, as the day wore on, the true glory of the scent shone through.

The initial emanation of mandarin, cinnamon and spice (from my estimation of the ingredients)did indeed seen to possess that off-putting sweetness without a woody or floral to lend it substance. However, about 30 minutes into the scent, your skin is endowed with this undeniably masculine scent of leather, smoke, and sweet 'n' herbal mossiness that intermingle to create an almost pheromone like allure.

It is definitely an earthy scent, meant to bring out the magnificent untamed male stag in anyone looking for a boost in sex appeal. Colors I would associate with this Terre d' Hermes are orange, cream, brown and grey, with a bottle green, sepia and black finish.

Whiffnotes's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

There seems to be a fine balance of the woodsy and gourmand smell of this perfume on me. I am not crazy about it but I would wear it occassionally.

cwinnipeg's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

I never quite understand why women who fall madly in love with Angel aren't able to put it in a separate category when testing Alien. Yes, they are both under the Thierry Mugler name, but that doesn't necessarily make them alike. I think that the name gives it away; Alien. it's not Angel Innocent, It's not Angel Garden of stars, it's simply Alien. Thus, when I tried it I had Angel out of my mind. What I've found with Alien (and every other fragrance out there) is that you must put it on for the "Fabulousness" to take effect. I tried the Perfume (applied with a nifty little gold wand) on my wrist, and went about my day. The way it smells is hard to describe. There's definitely jasmine in there, along with amber and a very slight green note. It almost has a "distant" quality, very synthetic-smelling, but very pleasing. I know that a lot of women are put off by it on the blotter, but I really advise applying some of the perfume oil on yourself and then seeing how you like it.

derekp's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

A masculine scent that lasts pretty well on my skin. Unfortunately, despite all the notes listed, from first spray to dry down it brings only frankincense to mind - definitely not my style.

oldnose's avatar

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I want to like Cinnabar, I've tried to like Cinnabar, but unfortunately, I cannot wear it. It smells great in the bottle, but after the top and mid notes have gone, the cloying sweetness of the vanilla gives me a headache. I have found that I must be very cautious with anything with carnation or vanilla, because on my skin, those two scents will wipe out anything else in the mix. Maybe I'll try it just spritzed on my clothing and I might not have the same reaction.

nolessoccer17's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Of all the aquatics I've tried, this is by far my favorite, and the most unique. I was raised on a beach, and have always been known as a bit of a beach bum - this fragrance reminds me instantly of a stiff, wet, ocean breeze. Allows me to smell like a beach bum with class all the time. Get many compliments from the ladies, but it's nowhere near as popular with them as my Gucci Envy or Givenchy Rouge.

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

I love this frag, although its simplicity can be disconcerting. That's where the beauty of it resides, however. The honeysuckle is tempered with some green notes and not much else. Lasting power is poor, and to counteract this I apply a great deal to start off, which makes the green notes a bit shrill. They do calm down well. Definitely a light, spring fragrance, suitable for casual stuff, although I wore it last night to my office Christmas party with a floor-length gown and a massive multi-bead choker. It's so simple, you can take it anywhere and it doesn't misbehave.

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

This fragrance is amazing! It smells like gardenia and coconut body oil, real 1970s bikini clad girl stuff. Surprisingly, however, it can be sophisticated, too, and would work on a summer night for a party. I applied this at work the other day (the roll on bottle is super convenient) and my boss kept looking around for a bouquet.

Sincerely feminine.

This can be very strong, so beware! It's easy to think you need more as it's only a roll-on oil and starts off quietly and then suddenly you're overwhelmed and trying to wipe some off, which is (I assure you after going through this exact song and dance several times) a futile exercise.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

I bought Thé Rouge while on a trip in Turkey. This smells like Pamukkale, a dry and sprawling region in the southwestern part of the country, where the air was permeated with the scent of the surrounding landscape: figs, olive and sage bushes, ancient ruins and parched ground. I love it.

I've had people stop me on the street to ask what I'm wearing. The lasting power, like with all the Bvlgari Thé frags, is only moderate, but of course it is an eau de cologne. Not overtly feminine, but perhaps covertly so.

Coquette Tropique by Monyette Paris

I actually really enjoy this scent in theory, but it doesn't measure up to its sister frag, Monyette Paris.

Forgive me for being vulgar, but Croquette Tropique has an unmistakable trail of synthetic pear, almost like one of those plug-in fragrances in toilet room sockets. For this reason I was never able to wear it comfortably.

No doubt it does smell lovely on others, and is great for beach and sand events, esp.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Too much for me, something in this does not agree with me. Love to smell it on others. On me however, it smells of menthol. Obviously, a rich, well put together edt. I just wish it agreed with me, therefore, a neutral rating.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Love this, so timeless. I love the clean smell. Seems simple, but at closer inspection quite complicated, as stated before, quite green. I get complimented constantly by this fragrance from the early 70's, and I am a product of that time. It just goes to show all that is old is new again.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Another one of my favorites. The vanilla, tangerine, grapefruit combo is out of this world. I buy this constantly in fear that they will someday discontinue it. Please Ms.Biagiotti, or Procter & Gamble, have mercy, and keep this in production...

Ungaro III by Ungaro

This is wonderful, fabulous, over the top. Not enough words to describe the beauty that lies within this big, and bold edt. I bought this for myself years ago, and have had nothing but compliments each, and every time I wear it. Call it goth, call it floral, call it whatever, but if you want to be noticed, this is the way to go. Please, Ungaro never discontinue this, I would be devastated forever.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Yikes! don't hang me for this one, but this smells hideous on me. The other problem is that I don't like it on anyone else either. Hate to be a party pooper but this smells like rotten pears. I know the popularity, just not my thing

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I like this, don't love it, but like it enough to keep it in my rotation. The violet, and black tea hit you right away, and I suspect, the reasons I keep returning for more. This is an un-complicated, easy to wear fragrance, and I allways feel good wearing it. Mostly, a daytime, or weekend type of fragrance, but compared to the boring releases of late, I have to give this a thumbs up.

emoon's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

LouLou by Cacharel

It's a very nice fragrance. Not "old-laydish", not too sweet. I like it, it smells like Christmas (pretty sweet and subtle spice). My opinion: one of the best perfumes by Cacharel. Only bottle of this fragrance is really grisly.

markc's avatar

Attar by Montale

Very appealing. Beautiful Rose/Oud combination. Very good sillage, and outstanding longevity. This leans to the masculine side and just smells very romantic. It would be great for a date to the drive-in movie after dinner at a restaurant. I recommend and it near the top of my wish list.

Bois d'Iris by Different Company

TDC seems to me to cover all the bases and create "the best" with each type of scent it makes. Rose Poivree is easily one of the best rose scents available, Jasmin de Nuit takes the eponymous note in new directions, and Osmanthus is light, subtle, yet very warm and deep without being too floral.

Bois d'iris follows in this trend and, quite simply, creates one of the most unique, interesting, and inviting iris experiences on the market. I've had Hiris, I've had Dior Homme, I've had Prada Infusion d'iris and enjoyed them all, but none of them come close to this one. It's got the crispness of the others, the hint of luxe, but also that tiny touch of quirk that Ellena puts in all his signature scents that takes them to a higher level.

Simply a MUST for any fan of the Iris note.

Osmanthus by Different Company

This one is quite light and unexpectedly pleasant, considering the punch that Rose Poivree and Bois d'iris pack. BUT, it isn't fleeting and it doesn't lack substance, but instead is very subtle and inviting, much in the same way that Creed Neroli Sauvage requires a lot of time and a lot of close sniffing really to get what's going on beyond the surface.

It's my least favorite of the Ellena TDC Trio (Bois d'iris, Osmanthus, Rose Poivree), but it is still a wonderful fragrance and worth the time of locating.

Jasmin de Nuit by Different Company

I didn't think Jasmin-based fragrances got any better than Creed's Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie, but TDC manages to do it with this one. Less heavy than the Creed, the TDC has a subtle, soft warmth that is quite unisex (unlike most jasmine fragrances, which feel too "girlish.")

A description won't do it justice; just try it to see for yourself. Rich, warm, inviting, without being too sweet or heavy, this is Jasmin par excellence.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Iris Nobile is, as MonkeyManMatt has stated, more about star anise ~ in the opening. With anise being such a love it or hate it type note, your appreciation for this frag will certainly depend upon how you take to star anise! I personally enjoy it, so you can guess I really like Iris Nobile! After the initial blast of anise, the rest of this scent is truly a partnership of orange blossom and iris. The notes waft back and forth from creamy to powdery, and the overall impression is totally feminine. Lightly fresh and slightly sweet, I can't imagine anyone finding IN offensive. Along with Prada's new Infusion d'Iris, Acqua di Parma has produced another winning iris perfume for us to enjoy! * 8/2009 as an update to this commentary I'd add that Iris Nobile is more about the orange blossom than iris...I'd liken it to Giorgio (of Beverly Hills) - you know, the one with the gold & white striped box. It is on the sweeter side of florals, and perfectly powdery too!

10th December, 2007 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Moschino Funny! by Moschino

Bitter orange & pink pepper...hmmm...sound special enough but delivers more like Lawry's lemon pepper food seasoning. The bitter orange/cinnamon combo in L by Lolita Lempicka is a far more compatible pairing! Once past the top notes, the green tea is clear and bright, fresh like Bulgari's Au The Vert. After the green tea, this one goes straight to the cedarwood. It is not as pungent a cedar note as in Moschino Couture! yet overpowers the remaining base notes. Most definitely for the younger crowd...I'm not lovin' it OR hating it...thus a neutral rating from this middle aged finnicky nose!

WidgeryWinks's avatar

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

I chose this perfume as an antidote to my collection of florals. I love the green astringent shock I experience as the spray comes from the bottle.

Very much a favourite on hot humid days. I understand why PT has mixed reviews. One has to be in mood, but to me its very different from most of the clean fresh scents that are currently out there.

Messe de Minuit by Etro

MdM was too sharp and exotic for me. It hurt my nose! I just could not 'love' it. I tried it for a few weeks and then sold it. Etro is an interesting house, though. I still have a bottle of Palais Jamais that I smell from time to time.

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

Yerbamaté is very complex. The others have exhausted the analysis of 'notes' so I'll just be poetic about how this fragrance makes me feel. I find it soothing and centering, evocative of high windy heights, and the smoke of campfires in the forest. It's a thing of beauty, artistic in the extreme. I don't get much 'powder' from this one, just a lot of 'clean', 'green' and tea-incense. An enchanting marvel; I hope I don't run out anytime soon.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

LV's Piper Nigrum is simply wonderful. It should be called Pepper Cream, but Piper Nigrum is definitely cooler! I have sampled a pretty good range of so called 'niche' fragrances, but nothing has held my interest like PN (and his 'brother' Yerbamaté). The ingredients in both of these are unusually 'raw' and 'natural' (certainly you have noticed how these adjectives keep coming up in descriptions of Villoresi fragrances). I find the Artisan fragrances anemic by comparison (and I have tried many of them: 'Tea for Two' is the best of the lot and my wife likes Té pour une été.)Similarly the Creeds are complex and beautiful but fleeting (and who can argue with the genius of Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal, and Imperial). Still, I've ended up selling off (or wishing I could sell off!) many of my 'niche' fragrances over the years but I'd never sell my PN or Yerbamaté. Never!

tvlampboy's avatar

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sweet? Definitely -- typically Lutensesque in this regard. Rich? Yes, just as I expected. Floral? Without a doubt -- enough tuberose here to bowl you over, and osmanthus aplenty. But satisfying? I don't know -- the jury's out on that one. I'll go ahead and give DN a thumbs up, but only with the proviso that I'd have liked it a helluva lot better had I smelled it on a woman instead of on my own skin. IMHO, no guy (however daring) could ever pull this puppy off.