Fragrance Reviews from December 2007

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

i have a backup bottle of this...really great drydown, but beware its tricky with skin chemistry

Purple Water by Asprey

like this stuff a lot...very citrusy. It starts out very feminine but dries into an upscale barbershop frag akin to truefitt and hill lime.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

i think this is acqua di gio purple...its just ok...i liked it the very first time i tried it...now that i own it, i rarely reach for it

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

very nice, addictive frag. I get velvety woods and musk out of this...its a compliment getter too.

theLateDoctor's avatar
    theLateDoctor

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I fully agree that this is an absolutely beautiful scent, and this coming from someone who is no fan of florals... And i accept the notion that it could be worn by a man, but only in the sense that any fragrance could theoretically be worn by anyone. Certainly there may even be men for whom this scent totally works... But for me, Carnal Flower is a completely feminine scent, and not at all something that the average man would wear. (Thumbs up, of course bearing in mind that caveat.)

theLateDoctor's avatar
    theLateDoctor

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I was trying out some of the Hermessences at the Hermes boutique in Vancouver the other day and happened to mention to the SA that i was a big fan of Jean-Claude Ellena. But as i was walking home it struck me that although i am quite familiar with Ellena's style and have tried (and liked) many samples of his work, I still had not actually purchased a bottle of anything he's done. Well. This situation had to be remedied...

I didn't like Terre d'Hermes at all the first time i sampled it; i remember it being somehow cloying. But the more i tried it, the more i came to REALLY like it. So that is what became my first official Ellena scent. I must say that his stuff intrigues me and i respect him as an artist, but it's not really an accident that it took me this long to spend money on his work. TdH is the first of his scents that really gets me in the heart. The others i've tried are kind of cerebral and minimalist, but Terre is the first one that feels grounded and full of life. I have a hard time picking out the individual notes; it's just this kind of tangy, raw, magic earth smell that is soapy-clean and smoky-dirty-sexy at the same time, and i just can't get enough of it. Sadly, my skin seems to just lap the stuff up, and I get maybe a couple hours, at best. But what a couple of hours...

darius1988's avatar
    darius1988
    Finland Finland

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

C-L-A-S-S-I-C!!! Girls love this scent. Best worn on a hot sunny day, not offending. Great for all occasion...

Mad4WDW's avatar
    Mad4WDW

Beau Gosse by Fragonard

Another great scent from Fragonard. I got a 600ml aluminium flask for 50 Euro!! Bargain!! Don't be fooled by the cheap prices, this is not cheap smelling perfume. Top draw stuff without all the marketing costs of more famous brand names. I first discovered Fragonard on a trip tp Paris with my wife. We want into the Fragonard perfume museum for a look and ended up buying stuff for both of us in the store there. That was 15 years ago. With the benefit of google/the internet I recently found the online store and have stocked up on 5 different bottles of scent for me and 6 for my wife.

Anyway on with reviewing this one. Beau Gosse is a very fresh summer smell in my opinion.There is a definate cardamon kick to it in the top and middle notes. It has a really fresh open smell which is masculine but leans towards unisex. Very modern and clean. Top quality perfume. Big thumbs up from me, highly recommended.

I'm going to add reviews of the other Fragonard scents we own onto the site because I think this house is great value and doesn't seem to get reviewed much. Don't get thinking I work there or something,I dont!! Just trying to contribute something useful.

Best Regards

Greg

Gendarme by Gendarme

Simply smells like cheap lotion available at the supermarket.

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Very similar to VCA, but somewhat sweeter and less soapy. Highly formal and extremely strong. A true classic.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Yet another sweet, fruity, cloying concoction that smells identical to so many other such concoctions created in the 90s.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Polo Black is a mixture of some type of room freshener and plastic. Far from the original Polo.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Burberry London for Men is a toned-down version of Givenchy Gentleman, but is still too similar. This initial blast is great, but it dries down to something sweet and gaudy.

runstile's avatar
    runstile

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

It has a great opening, bright and fresh with some richness. After a few hours, it fades into something not so complicated but smooth and present, with consistent, moderate sillage. It also has excellent longevity. Ladies love it, I've gotten tons of compliments, however it is still not my favorite scent.

27 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2008)

twinbee's avatar
    twinbee

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

There is not much to say about this one. it is well suited to its designer. Fun, dry, simple, woody, citrus, but very modern. not one of the modern sweet fresh nightmares like Boss, but very understated and sporty. Spicy. It does not last very long on my skin. Good for Fall and Spring.

twinbee's avatar
    twinbee

Curve Wave for Men by Liz Claiborne

Smells kind of like Paco XS pour homme, but this one gives me a headache. Good value if you only want one young, fresh aquatic. Me? I traded it in for the Paco XS.

Islandwriter's avatar
    Islandwriter

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is wonderful stuff. Somewhat similar to Antaeus, but just different enough to have them both. Will be adding it to my mainline......

Islandwriter's avatar
    Islandwriter

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This is a very nice, mature scent. I found it a bit understated, but it is a wonderful combination of earth and citrus.

primetime34's avatar
    primetime34

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Of all the frags I have smelled, this is my least favorite by far. It's only positive aspect (in my mind) is it has excellent longevity. Of course that isn't a plus if you can't stand the smell, and I cannot stand the smell. It reminds me of an old bottle of cough syrup that's had Mrs. Dash poured into it and then sprayed on me. I do not like it.

nolessoccer17's avatar
    nolessoccer17

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

The Tangerine leaves come through the most to my nose, which kind of put me off from this fragrance. Women liked this one, but they had to be really close, almost in a friendly way to smell it. Too feminine a scent for my liking, and it wasn't especially long lasting on my skin - 5hours maybe. I wouldn't recommend it as an everyday type of scent, but it's nice to have in your collection, because ladies leaving your bed in the morning can easily get away with using it, and many of them will.

silverbullet's avatar
    silverbullet

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Thankful I only sampled it..not for me..it smells like rotten cocoa , may be the fenugreek. I'll pass.

Spakdiddy's avatar
    Spakdiddy
    Cote DIvoire Cote DIvoire

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

this is the most wonderful fragrance when it's dried down, but, before you go out and buy it, you should know that it will smell like cotton candy and bengay for the first 2 hours before it settles down. but when it does, its smells like a piece of heaven.

halmo's avatar
    halmo

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Uniquely different, my girlfriend says it smells of piss ants, I love it's nuisance value, I wear it to piss her off, every male should own a bottle when the occasion permits.
    i love it !

Tavorna's avatar
    Tavorna

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

One of the first perfumes I ever purchased at the age of 17. I absolutely loved wearing it everywhere, it has a great spicy, sexy scent that is incredibly strong. This is definitely one that needs to be sprayed sparingly, as too much has other's smelling you from far away. And that's NOT a good thing.
    It's an incredibly intense scent, and needs to be worn for the right occasion. I would never use Red for day-to-day wear. Sadly, I had a bad experience with Red and have hardly worn it since. After a big night, I came in to work with a nasty hangover, and was wearing my beloved Red at the time. The strong smell made be feel ill the entire day, as I just could not stop smelling it. It still remains on my shelf with the other perfumes, but only comes out when the occasion for a strong, spicy perfume arises.

mariannetm's avatar
    mariannetm
    Netherlands Netherlands

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Chanel Allure Sensuelle it too 'robust' for me. A perfect fragrance to wear when go hunting e.g. and that is not something I would do. Horseriding with Allure Sensuelle is a great idea too. I like Allure better and my favorite by Chanel is Coco Mademoiselle.

colorcat's avatar
    colorcat

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

Unlike many of the reviewers here, I am not a fan of Lovely. At all. But, very surprisingly to me, I'm truly enjoying Covet. I find the fragrance very green to begin with, punctuated by lemon (which I generally can't stand--citrus fragrances do not interest me any more) and muguet, which I don't seek out but always manages to make me smile. I wish this part would last longer; but nonetheless its lasting power is acceptable, and then I rather enjoy the cocoa/musk drydown. Not my usual style, but genial and inviting. I can't stress how surprised I am at liking this--but I find it just interesting enough while being effortless to wear that a full bottle of it has earned a place on my dresser (and it's the only department store fragrance in the bunch). If you're in doubt, get a sample--it's worth a try.

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

JF by Floris

I know Floris are the only true fragrance house left in the UK along with Penhaligons and Trumper, so there should be no excuses for a bad perfume. This starts out quite OK; fresh and citrussy. But then the most horrid thing happens, it turns into bathroom cleaner. In fact this is too astringent-smelling to be a fragrance. Floris, in 1993, should have known better. I'd never wear this.

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

Armani Code. No more, no less. Not terrible in itself but lasts no time and wears too close to the skin. This should be intensely embarassing for Zegna.

pince_nez's avatar
    pince_nez

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A very grassy, fresh, summery scent. Reminds me of Eau de Christian Tortu. Beautiful indeed! A very unique green scent that's not overwhelming. The sillage is just perfect. Bravo!

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

Based on the two other reviews I bought some on eBay for under $2.00 (well, $10.00 to ship). It is just wonderful. I don't know what's in it and I don't care. It's maybe one of the best I ever tried. Oddly it has a touch of the "automotive" and I do like that. Unique and good. It will be a real favorite.