Fragrance Reviews from February 2007

No. 5 by Chanel

I know this is a classic and it is probably because it is a female scent but this one doesnt mix well with my
    skinchemistry. Sorry. Thumbs down.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

This is one of the very few female scents I would have no problem wearing myself without feeling the least feminine. I was at a store the other day and tried it on my hand. Its topnotes were quite masculine and the more feminine middlenotes mellted very quickly together with the very masculine base on my skin. Thumbs up.

Poison by Christian Dior

I tried this the other day and the topnotes were quite allright as well as the middlenotes but the drydown took some feminine turn at the end. But then again. It is a female scent. So far I am neutral on this one.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

This is the female scent I most enjoy feeling on a woman. It is extremly sensual, luxurious and enjoyable. It really gives the impression that it is a dangerous and mysterious, interesting woman who is wearing it. For me it is too feminine for a man to wear. None the less. Ten thumbs up.

BlueDevilSF's avatar

Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estée Lauder

I do like the original Youth Dew but only from a distance. It reminds me of old ladies in church, probably because that's where I first smelled it.

Now, with Amber Nude, there is a Youth Dew that has all the potency of the original without the cloying quality. To me it smells fiery and carnal.

I really like it, but as a guy, I'm undecided as to whether or not I can pull off wearing it.

oolong's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

After reading all the reviews of Bois du Portugal it sounded like an ideal fragrance for me. My tastes have been evolving towards the more masculine end of the spectrum. I gave it a try and it definitely was as advertised, a finely crafted, very masculine fragrance which I genuinely like. That being said, I also felt a bit of disappointment. While I do like it, I really don't like it any better and many cases less then several fragrances which cost me 1/4 as much: Yatagan, Cumming, Santos, Bel Ami... Based upon the Creed mystique I guess I was expecting "All this and a bag of chips too" and someone left out the chips. So very good fragrance but I really question the value.

rach2jlc's avatar

Fleur de Peau by Keiko Mecheri

Interesting, dry, and powdery. Smells something like if Knize Ten cut down on the leather and added some florals. It's almost TOO dry, but it still is worth a try.

Aramis by Aramis

I am not going to apologize for liking Aramis. I have always liked it. This is a bold chypre. The fresh, green, herbal beginning is unapologetically strong. The bergamot and vetiver give it just the right amount of citrusy tang. There's a boatload of patchouli in here. And the sandalwood is sweet. Altogether, it offers a weird, wonderful clash of notes that scream for attention, "Hey Baby, what's your sign?" Turn on the disco light, bring out the massage oil. Let's party.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is some kind of joke, right? Why on earth would anyone want to smell like an overpopulated men's restroom? Dead ringer for urinal cakes. I think the notes are fabricated, as none of them stand out, they do not waver back and forth as natural ingredients do, nor do they ever depart from their lockstep imitation of mustiness and deodorant. I can see the tiles gleaming in the fluorescent light. The bus is coming. Gotta run. Bye.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I get an "evergreen" or herbal ghost note that I like alot. It's my favorite part, more so than the warm, sweet base. The distinct presence of amber and vanilla allows this to drift into unisex territory. I like this more than Obsession for Women, which smells like too-sweet, flavored coffee. Not sure about either, though. So, until further testing, I give it a hopeful neutral.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Always has been one of my favorites. Masculine and classic, yet I like it so much that I (a woman) wear it comfortably. Smells like a man's shaving kit, clean, and strong, a tad bit soapy. The herbs and lavendar on top are hard to find in women's perfume, so I seek them out here. The spices are cinnamon or clove, both of which I like. And there's so much wood--cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, oakmoss, patchouli. That's the best part. If people associate it with "old man" it is only because of demographics. If it doesn't smell original anymore, it is only because it has so many imitators. Sure is one well-balanced fragrance.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Cumming by Alan Cumming

Wwow, just wow! It was such a long time since I smelled something truly original. This has Christopher Brosius' signature written all over it, that is, it's closer to obscure gothic perfume oils with ingedients like grave loam and brimstone than other niche perfumes. The thing is, when Brosius makes them they're not dense and dark and heavy like those oils. It has the same watery or airy quality as his own line which makes it more refined and wearable. But I do smell Highland mud very clearly, and that's not something you find in any old niche perfume. Mud, a touch of bitter vetiver, some scotch... After a while it develops a sweetness too.
    This is definitely not the strong, macho cigar and whiskey scent the notes and tounge-in-cheek marketing hints at. It does suit the bottle design though. It's light and airy like a walk on the moor in clear weather, the mud clinging to your boots and the faint smell of smoke and whiskey from the gentleman's club clinging to your woolen sweater. Need I say I love it?

Fig Wood / Bois de Figue by Ava Luxe

A very mellow and sweet fig tempered with woods and spices, which rescue it from smelling like something that belongs in a fruit salad. I prefer it to her Fig perfume (though I haven't tried Fig Leaf yet). Decent longevity but on me it stays pretty close to the skin. This one will be pleasant, I think, on a hot summer day.

Firewood / Feu de Bois by Ava Luxe

A bonfire in pine woods on a chilly autumn evening. You'll like this if you like woodsmoke and evergreens. Not particularly complex and rather linear, but as the other reviewer noted, great longevity & sillage.

Café Noir by Ava Luxe

Starts out with a heavy hit of dark, dark coffee, mellows out very nicely in the drydown to a spicy, somewhat woody accord. I only wish it lasted longer on me. This is very nice layered with MPG Santal Noble, by the way.

TaoLady's avatar

Velvet Rope by Apothia

Color me weird - I loved this mixed-up frag. Got a half-filled sample from Apothia and used it all up in one fell swoop. First I got a burst of grapefruit with a green rosiness that quickly segued into a creamy and sophisticated vanilla musk with a hint of - yes - tobacco, and that sweaty, "private parts" smell that turns some people off with the grapefruit still hanging in there.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

unfortunately the head note-the strong citrus and sharp lemon notes are dominating in a very strong way and within the time these notes become harmful and annoying....i am sorry but even if you spray a very,very small amount you do not feel the middle and basic notes-it is all about lemons and lemons-nothing else-a it stays this sharp-no harmony of the notes, a full and warm cologne-definitely not-clean lemons.Comparable to eau sauvage but not as complex and decent-armani is hard-cool-loud and the citrus very strong-too strong.pour monsieur is to my opinion the better choice-a warm blend, the ingredients better mixed and a nicer softer drydown.anyway armani 1984-the cool yuppies-no soul -no heart and this is reflected by the fragrance-choose an old guerlain, chanel or penhagalion´s scent-you feel the intimacy, the soul, love and the heart of a scent...

Rebelwithoutaclue's avatar

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

Well, it's easy.

The finest men's fragrance ever created.

catbirdptp's avatar

Happy Heart by Clinique

I got a sample of this in a clinique christmas present and really hated it at first and even wanted to get rid of it. Soon I couldn't resist sniffing the cheerful sample. I put it on today and it was so much lighter than I thought it would be and it truly is a warm cuddly fragrance which I will probably wear much more often than I ever expected to.

Indiscreet's avatar

Angel Garden Of Stars - Rose Angel by Thierry Mugler

On me, Rose Angel smells almost as gourmand as its big sister. It's a little lighter, a little fruitier, but just as delicious, and easily my favourite of all the Garden of Stars range I tested in the duty free! And the bottle is so pretty! A very definite thumbs up here.

mikeperez23's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

A nice not too smoky incense top note that (in a few minutes) gave off a faint 'birch beer' smell on my skin - I can see why so many Basenotes members have this one (in the Incense series) in their wardrobe. Can't wait to try the other 4...

odysseusm's avatar

F! by Fragonard

F! is a light, refreshing scent. It has pleasant citrus and juniper notes which provide a crisp counterpoint to the rich and woody spice base. This would be a good day/work fragrance. It is of high quality and is elegant. Despite all of that, it is not quite to my taste... but it may suit others very well.

hallospacegirl's avatar

Botrytis by Ginestet

If I could go swimming in this, I would. It's honey-sweet and delicious, perfect for the colder months. It's very long lasting on me -- about the entire day... in snowing winter!

Deep Night by Ghost

My wife wears this a lot. It smells like a fruitbowl. I want to jump in and get my five a day! Fantastic!

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Back again, this stuff is just so different from the identiwhiff gear that Dunhill churn out now. Get on to them, tell them your grandad wears this, your dad wears this and given the chance you will, your sons will then use this this magical juice to attract their wives and it need never be discontinued. I've given up my pipe but never James Bond's chosen cologne!

01st February, 2007 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2010)

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

Smashing orangey start but goes all "old lady" powdery after an hour. The new version lasts not as well but stays fresher.

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

I have never been in an Egyptian brothel but if I had I'm sure it would smell like this. Absolutely nauseating.

Jaguar (new) by Jaguar

Light mandarin/orangey whiff lasts well
    If your girlfriend ever wore Aqua Manda you'll be reminded!

cynny's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

First time tried Dolce Vita, I hated it. But I had to buy it and smell it over and over again, and after a day ore two I really loved it. Now it's my favorite. Sweet, and as far as I know, there's nothing like it.

jonstack's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

First, I was reminded of scuba diving in the Caribbean. When I smelled it later, I remembered a deep-sea fishing trip on a very gray afternoon. I like this scent, but I feel like I can't pull it off without the ocean nearby. Maybe I'll get to use it this summer on vacation.