Fragrance Reviews from February 2007

krolique's avatar

Matin Calin Sugar Milk / Lait Sucré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Fabulous! But only in the beginning. For real milk lovers. Very sweet, even sticky and although so far this is the first "milky" fragrance I find quite satisfying, I cannot wear it all day long. It is rather boring and the fresh notes that probably were supposed to add some life to the milk and sugar are disturbing.
    The longivity is dissapointing.

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

I adore this perfume but do not want to wear it every day. AP have gone to town on the sexy/outrageous image but it does not, for me, relate at all to the juice itself, which I actually find old-fashioned, restrained, simple, even austere, but with a discreet, but powerfully sexy undertow.

I wear it to work on tailored-black-suit days - sniffing my wrist throughout the day is a secret treat to myself.

The powdery/rose/spice notes are gently contradictory. An intelligent, yet carnal scent, to be worn with discretion.

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I tried this today and found the anis note too dominant, too strident.. could not get past it. I still think it's the most interesting of the classic Guerlains though and will try it again.

absentia's avatar

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

When I read everyone else's reviews I was completely shocked. Poivre Piquant lasts for longer than 24 hours for me! The milk and the honey gradually fade over time leaving behind a silky spice smell of white pepper and sugar. It's a fabulous scent and just had to mention how long it lasts on me.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I tried this one a while ago and it was a very masculine unisex. No man needs to feel awkward about using this one. I most definetly thinking about buying it in the future. Unfortunately you cant get hold of The Elixir or the perfume in Sweden. If you could. That would be my preferred choise. Recommended if you can afford it.

Carthusia Uomo by Carthusia

As I can remember I had a slight problem with the somewhat aquatic note in this one. I liked the raspberry note which I think was in the topnote. Overall. This is a well made scent. But since I as I said have a problem with the aquatic note in the drydown I give this one a neutral rating.

Numero Uno by Carthusia

I tried this a few days ago. It was an interesting scent. Not the best I have ever smelled - but it was interesting enough to try again and maybe buy later on. I recommend you try it. Thumbs up for now.

F_Frez's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Several days ago I wanted to test this fragrance, as I had read several good reviews about it. I went after work to a department store near home and asked for a try. As the tester was almost empty, I preferred to smell it on paper instead on my skin.

Here the first notes I could smell was soft orange, with traces of somewhat similar to resin or depilatory wax, strange but not bad... a bit sweet, remembering me some starting notes from Cartier's Declaration. Later at home I felt more middle notes, mainly wood, plus vetiver, cedar and wet earth as base notes.

It's a very woody fragrance,I don't see it as an evening fragrance, instead it seems to be a better daytime or office style fragrance, suitable for all seasons but preferred at colder occasions. Recommended for an age range over 30 years old.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Mustang Man by Mustang Fragrances

Discovered this one purely by chance, in a completely random, incidental manner. From the first minutes onwards it smelled to me like one of the scents i already owned and i was right: this one smells almost identical to Boss Bottled. The drydown does not change this resemblance- it is like that and stays so, for many hours even, maybe the second day too, as it has a very good lasting power. Tough this scents has so many positive sides, for some reson i am unimpressed- maybe it's just the perception of time: if Mustang would have created this before Boss i might have considered it cutting-edge...

rjrober22's avatar

Thallium by Jacques Evard

Pretty darn good, Long lasting too.
    Reminds me a bit of Rochas Man.

CerrutiSí by Cerruti

Well, Cerutti Si; I almost used my third bottle of this one.It's my most complimented scent and I always feel ok when i'm wearing this one.This scent has nothing do do whit aquatics;it's on his own and not easy comparable whit anything else.I highly recommend it as an universal daytime scent.Try it for yourself and trust your own nose.

Have a good day.

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

MIRACLE AQUATRONIC;this is a real green one with a great longevity.Miracle Aquatronic is underrated;it's definitely as good as Mugler Cologne;same category.If you like green scents you can stop hunting.Sample and try.

Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

This one is just OK;fresh and clear but not very longlasting;sillage is perfect!
    Did'nt regret this one.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Bought it because everybody was soo positive.At first i was a bit dissapointed;i expected something else,no this;but after a few days of wearing i started to like it and understood the special aspects of this one.Its a very naturally smell,Terre is a high quality scent but also a bit of a strange scent;a great strange scent that makes you forget many others.Surprise yourself;get it!!

Tovah's avatar

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

This smells pretty in the bottle and it smells pretty for about 1 minute on my skin. Then it smells exactly like a cheap gardenia candle, wax and all, masking the smell of stale cigarettes. I don't enjoy this smell. Fortunately the lasting power is awful on my skin, so I don't smell like a bad memory for long.

wicozani's avatar

Insensé by Givenchy

Yes indeed, Naed_Nitram! A few minutes after sniffing Insensé for the first time the ghost of Nino Cerruti Pour Homme came to my mind as clear as day. I even told Mack, the cunning SA at the equally stunning perfume kiosk at the mall the same thing; I swear! This was just on a scent strip and not my own skin. I would be bowled over to learn that there is NOT any musk in this scent. I shall accord this a neutral, in lieu of one day actually wearing this.

Wicozani

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

I had heard so much about the bold body odor cumin of Kingdom... Well, it has a distinct cumin note, but it doesn't remind me of bodies, it's just vaguely disconcerting. I'm crazy about cumin in food but in perfume.. not so much. It's off somehow, unlike smelling the fresh spice it's not a very pleasant smell. But unwashed private parts? Definitely not! Maybe a little like some persons' fresh sweat...
    Other than that I get a buttery soft and musky sandalwood, like the expensive sandalwood of a Serge Lutens, and too much florals for my taste. Not as provocative or interesting as I was lead to believe.
    I got some on my clothes too and there it's pure citrus topnotes, while on my skin it was softly spicy and anything but fresh from the start. All in all, I don't much like it, too soft and sweet and musty, lacking edge or character.

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Ethereal, transparent beauty of incense, orchids, pepper, woods and subtle skin musk, a perfect everyday fragrance. It's not too edgy, it doesn't attract attention (except by being exceptionally well done and beautiful) it's not heavy and seductive and it's definitely not a horrid girly pink bubblegum fruity/floral. It's just sheer elegance. It would match a suit with crisp white shirt, jeans and a cashmere sweater or the little black dress equally fine.

Donna Karan Essence: Labdanum by Donna Karan

Yum! This and Wenge are really great scents in their own right. Labdanum is leathery and a little sweetened, like a complex oriental with spices, gourmandy notes and animalic notes.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

This is a unique scent - very floral for a man's scent - long lasting on me -a thumbs UP

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Not bad, very subtle - a liitle bit like eternity summer by KK - but quite nice

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

An absolute classic - nuthin like it - you hate it or you LOVE it - I love it

Fabulous stuff - nice bottle too

Kouros Eau D'Ete by Yves Saint Laurent

yep it actually smells blue - a great summer scent for men

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

Smells clean and soapy - nice one this

Nlb's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

It's a shame for me, really because this fragrance is actually very lovely; quiet and pensive, subtle and paper-like. However, once it hits my skin, "Stella" develops into the most acrid stuff imaginable. If only I could hold onto the loveliness of "Stella" before it comes into contact with my body chemistry! Test this one first--it may turn bitter on some!

ifconfig's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Millesime Imperial was a strange progression for me: when I first wore it, I was suitably impressed but not overly so that I felt I had to buy it immediately.

One of the more important points in liking for perfume for me involves my wife. The chances of buying a perfume is directly proportional to her love of the fragrance. She really liked MI.

That was the first step, so to speak. The second, which pushed me over the edge, as they say, is time. It's been a few weeks now and MI has really grown on me. I really, really like this fragrance, one of the best aquatics I've ever smelled.

Incredibly good.

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

Gucci Eau de Parfum is simply irresistibly. It is a very feminine scent and sensual scent with the compositions of orris, heliotrope, orange blossom, vanilla, citrus, cumin, and thyme, patchouli and musk. (notes cited from The Scent Salamander site). It is intense, spicy and potent. Three spritzes will last you a full day without reapplication. The amber and the spices blended very well, and the cumin made it highly seductive. I love this perfume immensely and it is probably the only one that I like from the entire Gucci women’s range.

fragola's avatar

France France

Darling by Kylie Minogue

An "easy to wear" chypre. Top notes are fresh, juicy, grapefruit, lychee and peach. It is very cosmetic rose, violette, creamy. And then, it becomes suddenly very close to Gucci Rush !The Chypre fruity accord is nearly the same, but lighter, less sweet and heavy. It smells like a 90's fragrance, almost a new classic... I wouldn't wear it, but recognize that it's well balanced and absolutly in line with the australian lady's image.

fragola's avatar

France France

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is the most amazing fragrance I have ever smelt. It smells like nothing else, it even doesn't really smell like a fragrance. It's a weired mix of metallic, watery, ozonic, animalic, musky notes. The effect when smelling it the first time is almost physical : immediate repulsion, and then, smell again to try to understand what is the incredible thing. Aldehydes, for sure, give this intense metallic effect, as if you had blood in the mouth. There is also a salty, marine, iodine note that remains on the skin very long. After a few hours, it becomes less repulsive, and starts smelling just like somebody's else skin... or your own skin ! It's not a fragrance, it's just an experience.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Alliage by Estée Lauder

estee´lauder has created some outstanding and fabulous fragrances like jhl for men, estee lauder for men, youth dew etc.alliage is a fresh, very green, intense and very aromatic scent.it may bother you because the opening is very strong and intense and very powerful-the drydown more comfortable-that is to say within the time you will feel more pleased with the scent but it may disturb you because it is very intense.a very well done scent but i miss a smoother and softer part or what is it?as it has been said it can become stinky and it can bother you but this is a personal opinion.in conclusion-freh,green,intense edt for an active,powerful person-unisex scent!and you will recognise it!this is an original and really good fragrance!