Fragrance Reviews from February 2007

Gathering Apples by CB I Hate Perfume

To my nose, Gathering Apples smells like any cheap apple scent, perhaps a perfume oil or bath & body product. Not particularly "true" or "real" or "natural". It's faint and watery and I don't detect any wood.

In The Library by CB I Hate Perfume

I was hoping for more musty old books and leather chairs and smoke, but I got mostly a "mushroomy" note. Demeter's paperback has a musty, mushroomy note as well so perhaps my view of what old books smell like differ from Brosius'.

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

I was so enthralled by the description and concept of Black March but the scent itself, well, to my nose it's mostly a watery, pale version of the earth note common in obscure perfume oils. I guess I'm too fond of rich, warm scents to really appreciate CBs cool, airy, watery, ethereal concoctions. Not that there's anything wrong with Black March, it's just not all I hoped it would be.

Memory of Kindness by CB I Hate Perfume

True tomato leaves. I love the scent, but I'm not sure I want to smell like it. To my nose it's pretty much a tomato leaf single note, and good as it is I'm sure you could get a decent replacement for much less. Or a number of real tomato plants to smell instead. I think I would prefer that.

Kotori's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

I wanted to love it, but alas. It smelled to me like a fustier version of Mitsouko.

maggie's avatar

Gardénia by Chanel

this is great. and it's true, it doesn't smell like GARDENIA. Classy.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

nicely composed-well balanced note of vetiver-not too strong,quite smooth-very agreable.well the tonka note is ok but the more you know the fragrances of ellena you will get used to some mysterious and strange compositions and mixtures and at the end you may like the result.this one is ok-if you look for a tough and loud note of vetiver then take the scent of guerlain-if you look for something more distinguished and superb try annick goutal´s vetiver.this one is ok-not less not more but hermes has done the superb caleche -but in the end they should stick what they can do best: leather goods and ties! perfumes by hermes 2006 are ok but nothing outstanding or amazing-oh yes!the price is ridiculous high and not understandable!

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

i have tried a sample but it is a huge deception.Sadness!If you have a look at the outstanding fragrances launched by Dior specially ib the 50ties,60ties and seventies-Miss dior,Eau Sauvage,Diorissimo,Diorella this is really disappointing-very feminine,light and clean,warm Iris smell-it does not start that bad but within some seconds sweetness overcomes you and this scent reminds you of a cheap old ladie´s cologne...you feel it..powdery,dusty.a bit androgyneous-maybe for a slim, feminine boy of 20-definitely not a man´s scent!

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Timeless by Avon

I really like it b/c it is not sweet. Androgenic chypre yes, slight gardenia top which quickly dissapears into a soapy and powdery base that retains a trace flowery scent which is never sweet but is very pleasant. Much better frag than ones thrice as expensive.

amandasurbey's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Déclaration by Cartier

It smells like sex. In a good way. I really like it. Bought a bottle for the husband but I wear it.

odysseusm's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

There are a lot of substantial elements here (incense resins, essential oils, woods), and the overall impression is one of great richness. It starts off deep, sensuous, and verging on the decadent. It never relents from that opening. The fragrances are lovely and even compelling; however there is no crispness or counterpoint offered. Ultimately it overwhelmed me! I want to reiterate: this is not a big, obnoxious scent. There is much to like here, too much in fact. Reading the reviews below is an interesting experience, since some complain about the cool or minimalistic aspect. I had the opposite reaction. For me it was maximalistic! After five wash-offs, I was left with a lovely fragrance that I could appreciate: before, it was simply too much for me. Different reactions, different skin types, different personalities. Sample it for yourself and see... it is a learning experience!

French Cancan by Caron

A sweet mix of flowers, lilac, carnation notes with just a hint of warmth. This is a happy perfume, certainly worthy of it's name Cancan. It is long lasting, even through a shower. Use it sparingly and experience the bright and lively bouquet nearly all day.

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi

I love the spiciness of this one. It comes across as a little sweet and aromatic (bay leaf and/or cedar)with just a little musk. I like to scent my home with this one.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wow, it seems that people either love or hate this scent. On me, the apricot is not that defined. What I smell is a light leather that does not overwhelm, a hint of spicy cardamom, and a refined iris scent. For me it's unbelievably sensuous and not too sweet.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This scent starts with a hint of tuberose, but not enough to make it cloying. As one who has smelled pure tuberose, it does not have the powdery scent commonly associated with a tuberose-heavy scent such as White Shoulders or Diptyque's Tubereuse.
    While this is not my favorite ceder scent, the ceder is plentiful enough to give the wearer a sense of the outdoors. The amber and spice drydown balances the floral notes.

Glow after Dark by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Hmmmm...can't find the passion fruit...this one smells somewhat synthetic flowery-fruity with no specific note that comes through clearly except for a very bright musk. It reminds me of some of the Bath and Body Works Cherry Blossom scents but only more woodsy.

Oviatt's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

Who doesn’t love the scent of their mother’s perfume? My mother, as a young woman, wore Dana’s Platine, until the early sixties when her own mother died, leaving a full bottle of her favorite Bellodgia perfume on her dressing table. My mother took it and made it her own and has worn it all of my life.

What makes this sparkling, spicy carnation-themed floral so unique is that it has a timeless smell. When it was created in the 1920s it was slightly outside the mainstream of fashion for perfume--just as it is today—so it does not summon up any particular era or decade, just the woman who wears it. I hope that this Caron classic continues to find new generations to wear and love it.

Jilara's avatar

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Sometimes I like Knowing a lot, sometimes that incense-shop quality cited is just too much for me, and it's too busy. Very fall woods quality, but STRONG. Don't wear it if you're going to be in close quarters.

jdev's avatar

BOD Man: Fresh Blue Musk by Parfums de Coeur

Its not bad for the price. I think it was about 6 or 7 bucks for an 8 oz bottle. I also have keihls musk. The BOD smells like a much sweeter and cheaper version of it. It starts very spicy and sweet (almost like cotton candy with some spice to it) and dies down after probably twenty minutes to half an hour to just a musky smell.
    Its also is not very powdery like other cheap sprays out there such as Axe.
    Kids would probably like it as well as the rest of the bod line (I didn't like Really ripped abs that much but I havent smelled it in a while).

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Well, it's a great fragrance but just not for me. Unfortunately, not only am I a refugee from Cuba, I am also a refugee from the 60's--and this is a PATCHOULI time warp!
    Holy love beads! Anybody score some good acid? Need to listen to Woodstock again . . .

Completely agree that it's a most unusual scent in today's bland acquatic world. Ironically, though it's perceived as 'mature and masculine' TONS of women like to wear this as well. ( psst . . I know, I checked out The Female Fragrance Forum)

What I didn't know is that the new formulation is supposed to have even less of a civet note and MORE patchouli---Yikes!
    This review is for the old formula (black and white box with Givenvchy Labels) which can't be that ancient, as I bought and used mine up only last winter.
    Anyway, if you want to stand out at a formal event--and lava lamps are not conjured up in your psychedelic mind, this one's for you!

*************

And now I've had the misfortune of smelling the newer version! Yes, I know that putting down reformulations practically mandated around here. But gentlemen, it's difficult to say good things about a classic that has been watered down into a generic little old lady's cloyingly cheap synthetic perfume.
    I guess I'm trying to say the older version was better.

06 February, 2007 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2011)

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

All scents / smells are learned / learnt from birth. I first experienced this scent in the late 80s when a teenager; I loved it without any reference to toiletes and urine etc. many reviewers here must have visited or have the filthiest toilets if they think this resembles that. Would the major French house of the time formulate and put on the market something that did? This is a great scent, without being the standard bearaer for it, and I bet my bottom dollar/ real/ pound that most reviewers review having only bothered to smell the top note mixed with alcohol and not wait till the basenote. One of the mens best of al time.

John's avatar

Mat; Very Male by Masakï Matsushïma

This is one that I purchased immediately after smelling, and I never regretted my decision. A fresh anise opening soon settles into very comforting warm notes and a serene floral-fruit vibe that is somewhat sweet. The composition stays close to the skin, but it is a complex and addictive smell. By blending warm gourmand notes with fresh sweetness, Very Male is both versatile and unique. I highly recommend this!

Natalie's avatar

Film Noir by Ayala Moriel

Wonderful! Ayala Moriel has got the most superb nose and her versatility means that she has something for everyone. Really, many things for everyone. I agree with purplebird's reviw: the chocolate here is the real thing; the dark, European stuff that does not condescend to the palette or the nose. It's for sensual, sulty women. This scent is for Barbara Stanwyck or Joan Crawford; for Maria Callas or Teresa Stratas, for Anna Magnani--for the intensely Romantic yet somewhat jaded woman of mystery and discrimination. A wonderful pleasure to wear on this snowy day.

rach2jlc's avatar

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

I've got the newer version and I agree that it definitely isn't anything to wait in line for. It DOES smell like Cool Water, which itself smells like Creed GIT. I've got GIT on my left and Greenbriar on my right, and the Greenbriar really tries to be like Creed with synthetics. That being said, it isn't BAD... it just isn't particularly innovative or interesting. For $10 or less, it's worth it. Anything more is questionable.

Renato's avatar

Cuir / Cuir de Russie by Piver

The manufacturer's website makes it clear that this is an updated version of the 1939 scent. Despite it's current Basenotes unisex classification, the manufacturer has it unambiguously as a masculine scent.

When I first tested it I didn't know what to make of it - honey and leather is an unusual combination. The scent lasts all of a working day, and the honey retracts somewhat, leaving an extremely pleasant sweet leather scent that keeps wafting nicely. I'm generally not much of a fan of rough leathery scents, but I am a fan of Curion, and now of Piver's Cuir de Russie.
    Renato

Renato's avatar

Un Parfum d'Aventure by Piver

The manufacturer's website makes it clear that this is an updated version of the 1931 scent. Despite it's current Basenotes feminine classification, the manufacturer has it unambiguously as a masculine scent.

This is a spicy niche scent, reminiscent of the style of Piper Nigrum or Incensi - but I like it more than those two. Cardamon, peppercorns, cinnamon,geranium,sandalwood, cedarwood and vetiver are in the mix, but the cloves base is what makes it stand out for me. I recently discovered that I'm a bit of a sucker for the few prominent clove scents that are around, like Scannon Ghost, Halston Catalyst, Trumper's Milk of Flowers. Now I can add Parfum D'Adventure to that list.
    Renato

Words's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Reminiscent of Givenchy Blue Label, but with less of the spicy/woody qualities that make Blue Label so great. More Marine than it is Aquatic, a very watery Marine. I agree with a previous review, should have been called Bvlgari Marine.

zztopp's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Released in 1924, Knize Ten certainly has a lot of history behind it. Its a leather powerhouse with a few caveats.

The opening accord is a burst of assorted citrus notes which resemble the smooth mandarin-dominated accord of another leather classic, Creed Royal English Leather, except not as smooth or rich. Despite what the notes pyramid indicates, the leather makes its presence felt almost immediately. Its a powerful pungent leather note which unfortunately does smells quite a bit like turpentine. Its not the most appealing leather note, and it actually distracts from the overall construction which is extremely well blended. The supporting citrus, wood and floral notes do a good job of toning down the intense acerbic leather, but I think it will bother quite a lot of people. Some may wonder, why bother? The same effect can be had by spending time in a crusty car garage meddling with various motor oils and tools.

The trick to enjoying Knize Ten is to:

1) Wear it in cool weather
    2) Mist instead of spraying

If you follow those two rules, you will enjoy the depth and complexity that this leather classic has to offer. Longevity is excellent. But can people look past its brash and corrosive leather note? Knize Ten has an attractive exterior with a heart of stone.

Kretek by Ava Luxe

Kretek smells just like smelling an unlit clove cigarette, rather than smoking one. It's not a very "smoky" fragrance, it's mild and sweet and smooth and dry like the scent of tobacco, clove and sugar from the real deal.

jpapillon's avatar

Rumba by Ted Lapidus

Ah Dios mio, it's Old Havana in a Bottle! Blessed sensuality that is not for the timid. Ladies who enjoy dark red lipstick, who wear a "wrap" instead of a coat, who walk slowly with head held high not caring who's looking...you want this on your dressing table.