Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

BrothaG's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Virgin Island Water is quite a fine spring/summer fragrance if you ask me - opens rather fresh and citrussy clear, then mellows down into a more floral base with a very distinct coconut note. Coconut is also what people around me have detected, and it seems that you have to like that in order to enjoy this scent. Personally, I think it works quite well.

I feel that this is definitely reminiscent of a tropical island - lying down in the silky sand, surrounded by nothing but the ocean and the forest behind the shoreline, drinking cocktails from a coconut.

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

A work colleague used it and I asked the name of the fragrance. As she didn't remember the name, just the Boss brand and the shape of the bottle she draw for me, I went to a store to check what Boss fragrance it was.

Found the Boss Intense, the only bottle resembling the draw she gave me. When tested, the top notes were spicy and citric, based on kumquat. Middle notes were flowers and roses, and smelled like my colleague at office in the morning. Final base notes were soft woods, a bit sweet, and musk. On paper, the last notes remembered me some traces of Anais Anais.

For daytime, office and romantic use, and maybe an evening simple event. The age range seems to be around 25 and 45 years old... my colleague was 26 and it fitted well on her.

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

I remember tested it some years ago, when it first appeared... wasn't bad and similar a fragrance I was using then. But as I can't remember now how it smelled, I tested it again at night on a fragrance store.

On paper, the top notes I felt were sweet and soft citrics like tangerine, plus a fresh spicy bit of ginger. About 15 minutes later, at middle notes, it stayed on neutral flowers and then, at base notes, felt wood like sandalwood and traces of ginger. When checked it the next morning, the paper was almost odorless.

Fresh and citric, with starting notes remembering Perfumer's Workshop's Zipped, a fragrance I used around the late 90's, but a stronger staying power was desirable. For warm seasons, office, sport and daytime use, and for a range age of 20-35 years old.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I've smelled this fragrance several times on other persons. A very recognizable aroma, and a very strong trail.

The head is based on citric notes, persisting for a long time during middle and base notes. The middle note feels aquatic and floral, and the base note is green tending to vetiver. When smelled can't get spicy notes, but the trail it leaves is mainly citrus fruits.

Extremely strong (or maybe used in excess by everyone on whom I smelled it), it have a established niche of fans and it's well accepted by women. For me the citric is pungent, opposite Boucheron Homme which is also based on citric notes but well blended with woods. Unisex style, it's recommended for summer times, daytime and evening occasions ... it's so much strong for an office use. Age range around 20-35 years old.

Essence Pure pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

Checked this one yesterday, as it was the only one I wasn't tried from the S.T.Dupont line.

Sprayed on paper, the first notes were fruity, grapefruit and tangerine according to the tester bottle, plus a surprising sensation of cold and fresh air, like a freezer or an air conditioner... surely the ozone note. A fresh and soft green note of bamboo and final notes of soft woods, in an oceanic vein.

Fresh and cooling, like a oceanic breeze, for spring and summer times, daytime and office use. Age range around 25-40 years old.

Aramis Life by Aramis

Got it as a 5 ml spray sample and used it a couple of months when traveling outside home at weekends.

The starting notes were citric, fresh but short lived on skin. Middle notes were soft and I never got the cardamom, coriander, pepper and spearmint notes... felt traces of flower notes, maybe violets. At basenotes soft woody notes appeared, like sandalwood, but couldn't distinguish any leather note.

A normal fragrance, nothing special (my wife didn't like it). Can be used as a sporty cologne and get oversprayed without being saturated. For summer times, daytime and office use, but in my case it wasn't strong enough for an evening use. Age range between 20-35 years old.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

When I was looking for a Burberry Brit for my brother at a store, a salesclerk offered me Lanvin's Arpege for Men as a substitute.

Smelling it, the first sensation were sweet fruits with a woody sensation around... later on middle notes the sweet sensation turned to something like anise, in the vein of the old Escada Casual Friday. At base notes, traces of vanilla and sandalwood appeared.

Classical, well blended and with a good staying power, although it wasn't my style, it's suitable for colder seasons due to the sweet and woody notes... it's not fresh. For daytime and office use, didn't know if it could work at evening. For an age range over 30 years old.

ravenrose's avatar

Calypso Violette by Calypso Christiane Celle

This is a smoldering, lovely sweet honeyed violet. True, it is quite different from most violet scents, and that's a good thing. I love violet, but no need for more of what I already have!

It reminds me of a fairytale forest, dappled light through the trees, violets blooming on the mossy forest floor, spreading a blanket and opening a basket of honeyed cakes to share with the satyr who is flashing me his wicked smile. See you later!

Tovah's avatar

Coquette Tropique by Monyette Paris

Coquette Tropique is a fun, happy tropical fruity-floral that lets you wear the mood of a California beach in the summertime. Very enjoyable, but I wish it lasted longer on my skin.

zenpiper's avatar

Space for Men by Cathy Carden

Wonderful. I bought a mini on eBay, thinking I was getting a larger size. Well, no matter; this is a terrific fragrance, though I am not astute enough to be able to describe the notes. The opening is fairly intense, and there is a note (fig?) that others may recognize, which is compelling and good. When it dries down there's an intoxicating aquatic/marine note that emerges. Just lovely, lasts quite well. Worth a mini for sure.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Wonderfully soft and buttery yet strong and rich leather with a heady dose of florals. I'm usually not so very fond of florals, but these are so soft and compliment the equally soft leather very well without overwhelming it. They are never sharp or soapy or sneeze-inducing as florals can sometimes be.
    The scent is so soft and skinlike i imagine it would be heavenly in a lotion, even though it's strong and dark and leathery.

aquamanda's avatar

Satsuma by Body Shop

I agree, it's orange candy scent, not orange scent. Too sweet for me. Ot smells quite artificial. The shower/bath gel was disappointing after smelling a candle of the same scent.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

*A woman's opinion*...oh my, oh MY! This is one SEXY SEXY fragrance. Something in this (neroli??) drives me wild. Men, if you want to seduce a woman, wear this. Period.

Fiorello's avatar

Etra by Etro

This one came off as a smoky/spicy, vanilla mess on me. It was not floral in the least. Not my cup of synthetic tea.

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

lauder for men is absolutely a fantastic scent for a man and i am talking about a man!a fresh chypre-clear,light and well balanced-all ingredients very well mixed and orchestrated.This is an elegant and classical edt for daily use, for the office as well as in the evening.it is really masculine and very pleasant-not nerving, not exhausting- as i said evrything perfectly put together.pour monsieur is too warm and smooth, eau sauvage too much lemon and citrus, sagamore too oriental-estee lauders edt is the perfect composition - if you look for a classical and elegant masculine fragrance with this special touch then you are right.not to recommend to young, skinny crazy metrosexuals-this is an edt for a succesfull, elegant 30 + with self-cnfidence and sure of himself!Great american edt.By the way JHL would bethe perfect match then for winter!

Paco by Paco Rabanne

take a smell of eau de calandre-great outstanding perfume of the 70ties ! paco is nothing special-a simple,fresh and light eau de toilette-not less not more-you may use it in the lavatory a room spray or to make disappear a bad smell but this definitely not a fragrance.The bottle is a nice design but that´s all-paco rabanne the great couturier who has been so progressive and interesting and unique launches such a bad stuff-can someone explain it to me???oh yeah let´s make money and sell the people cheap stuff-what do you think we are?idiots? a vulgar water with flavour-not less not more!

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

pleasures for women was quite nice and very succesfull-so understandable to launch pleasures for men but pleasures is again one of the great deceptions.Estee Lauder has developped such great scents as JHL or Lauder for men and do not forget all those great scents for women but this is definitely not anymore her signature-cheap smell, uninteresting,ordinary vulgar-the same as intuition,l´homme by yves saint laurent etc.hey le´ts make money and launch bad stinking water with flavour and the people will buy it... this perfume smells as all the others of that time-boss,lacoste,canali,kiton etc.but there is so much missing-if you really are interested in a good scent look at the older ones of dior,guerlain!,caron etc.but leave your fingers away from this really cheap stuff like pleasures-definitely a nightmare and no pleasures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

after all these really outstanding fragrances like lauder for men and JHL now this really disgusting,boring water-a truly deception!This badly tasting water isn´t anymore estee lauder-already the name-intuition-does not match.the bottle is a bad design and better for a woman´s fragrance and most important the fragrance:light and fresh but definitely nothing special, very vulgar and ordinary but nothing interesting!as it has been said : really cheap smell-run away as fast as you can!one of the worst pefumes i´ve ever tried in my life-oh, l´homme by yves saint laurent is as bad as this one !!!

spicegirl's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

Without a doubt one of my favorite Caron's. Warm, light, spicy and sensual. After using up my sample in a couple of days, I purchased the full size EDP. I had to have it! One of the most beautifully blended fragrances I own, and a masterpiece from start to finish. Elegant, classy and exceedingly rich.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

I agree with most of the reviewers. I first tried this scent in a Penhaligon's scent library. English Fern was perhaps the only scent vial that hooked me. It is soapy, clean, non-offensive and smells like a fresh morning in an aromatic forest. One of the first memories it brought to mind (they say the nose brings back the most memories) was that of my female elementary school teachers. That "just out of the shower" smell which I find so sexy. Lots of pine needles, lavender, soap, and loads of kid memories in this one. I love it!! Will get the largest bottle they sell very soon.

Marlborough by Geo F Trumper

It's very hard to go wrong with Trumper. I received Marlborough today and my senses were dancing all over the place. My wife loves it! It reminds me of a lighter version of Aramis with a lingering citrus note. It is very clean and crisp. I could not detect soap, though, as some of the other reviewers did. It certainly has a barbershoppy edge to it with a touch of sweetness. Along with Spanish Leather, Marlborough has become my cologne of choice. Both convey a clean, conservative British air that, at the same time, are sexy and not at all boring.

Eton College Collection by Taylor of Old Bond Street

YUK!!! I almost puked when I opened up this bottle today after it arrived in the mail. I seriously got nausea and tried desperately to wash it off my hand. It smells like CK Obsession(which I loathe) on steroids!!! It has "pimp" written all over it. My only question is: Do scholarly, conservative Eton boys really wear this awful junk??Don't get suckered in by the name. You'll probably smell better slapping on some Mr. Clean or Pine Sol. I'm getting my $$$ back!!!

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

Swiss army is a fresh clean nice smell, its pretty good when you wear it on humid windy days.This cologne smells very similar to the Animales Azul cologne. pretty much the same and i really like both of them. To be honest it does smell to many other colognes in the market now a days. i guess it is because of the bergamot the lavender the cedarwood and the musk just to name some of the ingridients that has in common with so many others. What makes it different from others is the longevility of this cologne.

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

Altitude by Swiss Army

this cologne is nice and fresh but i personally like the older swiss army cologne better. I would really like this cologne very much i someone would give it to me as a gift or something but i wouldnt buy this with my own money knowing that i can have something much better.

stephanie1980's avatar

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

I'm afraid it's far too heavy and cloying. It smells old. As in a fusty old parlour with lots of air freshener sprayed around to hide the smell of dust. I don't think men would find it sexy, it's far too in your face.

nohay's avatar

Israel Israel

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Before I met my girlfriend I was really a straight guy when it came to perfumes. When she first got me to smell Fahrenheit I thought it was terrible, too much of everything. I got to hand it to her, she was right. This is probably the best fragrance in the world. The trouble now is that I can't be satisfied with really great, but unfortunately, "straight" fragrances, say Boss (Gray) or Lalique (Blue). I was drawn completely to the dark side. So, be ware, it's a wonderful slippy road.

benb's avatar

George Sand by Les Parfums Historiques

I once smelled this one on a paper strip I believe. I can't distinctly remember what it smelled like, but I have a vague memory of it resembling Baldessarini Concentree. And that one is one of my absolute favourites. If possible I would like to revisit this one again someday. It was quite unisex with lots of woods in it. For now I am going to give it a thumbs up.
    benb

busterb's avatar

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

I have used A.O.S shaving products for a while & they are excellent.
    Recently I nabbed the Art of Shaving Sandalwood cologne from off Ebay.
    It is just great! I understand the "medicinal" comments, but don't really agree. To me it is very creamy and rich. A unique take on Sandalwood. Not as sweet as Santal Imperiale, or Egoiste. Not as sharp as Tam Dao.
    Creamy, rich, & deep. Currently my fave Sandalwood.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Citrus Bigarrade by Creed

Ah - I can drift away to those orange groves again. But no sweet, juicy child-friendly orange here. This is the acidic vitamin c rich bitter orange which makes your face curl as you feel it doing you good. Almost too much, it pulls itself back from scaring you away pretty quickly as initial blast dies off.

Sharp bigarrade and other blended citrus sit on petitgrain and green notes with a gentle santal lurking quietly at the very bottom.

If you are a citrus lover like me, you really must smell this.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Reminds me very much of Black Orchid, which isn't a bad thing at all.