Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

Sensual and long-lasting, yet far too generic, especially( so most of the male perfume users) who know Roma Uomo or, to stay alongside the Boss label, Boss Bottled. The similarity with the latter is so striking that one might ask why another scent was created, considering that its notes add simply nothing new. Still, fairly interesting and captivating- especially for someone who never knew Bottled- bearing a stylish and balanced sweetness reminding of pineapple, vanilla and caramel. Of course, very ambery drydown too, but that kind of amber with woody, almosty earthy, powdery and creamy shades. Very fruity and obviously apple-smelling, even without knowing the ingredients the apple note is strikingly evident, fortunately not a synthetic room spray apple smell but( and remeber this come from a person who usually dislikes both the taste and the smell of apple)a lush gourmand, ripe and warm apple note.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Chaz by Revlon

It is said of the aged Duc de Fremeille's head footman, whose name was appropriately Charles, that he always wore the fragrance Chaz by Revlon, the supposed epitome of cheap and cheerful machismo. One day Monsieur le Duc inquired of him gruffly: "Charles, may I borrow your Chaz? I seem to have mislaid my Creeds and I have a reception to attend at the house of the Princesse de Palme."
    Suitably soaked in Chaz, the elderly Duke tottered off to his reception. On his arrival, he was astonished to find himself surrounded by a bevy of aristocratic beauties, fluttering their eyelashes at him and uttering noises in unison like some fatuous, fawning choir - a veritable chorus of cooing and oohing, aahing and baaing.
    On returning home, the Duke informed his footman: "Charles, although it is neither my wish nor my wont to make the cutecakes crumble, indeed, it would be positively unseemly for one of my advanced years to function as a babe magnet, nevertheless that is exactly what happened! And I believe I owe it all to Chaz!"
    (Such the dream of Chaz... The dream meets the reality in a cheap orange-coloured thump of blunt brown vibrations, quite reminiscent of that great boar's pen among male fragrances: Marbert Man. It puts me implacably in mind not of Tom Selleck but of Tom Jones at his most sweating, most grunting and most gross, all thrusting hips and curly black pubic hair).

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Morris Mens Cologne by Morris

A pleasant, traditional, rather distiguished citrus-based cologne from the little known House of Morris. Its opening is clean, fresh and pure. The development unfolds in much the same vein, although tempered with woods. Some may find it delicate to the point of faint and fleeting. Never cheap-smelling, traditionalists may apply liberally and enjoy quietly. In many ways, a superior eau de cologne sort of smell.

Woodhue by Fragrances of France

I find Christian Dior's DOLCE VITA very similar and much easier to find. Citrus sweet with a warm woodsy drydown. Nice!

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

Smells like a cheap rip off version of Tommy Girl.

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've never worked with powdered gelatin like rach2jlc but after smelling this fragrance and reading his commentary I can only agree! This is what I classify as a 'sickening' scent. It gets into my mouth and I woefully taste this wretched concoction for hours...it's awful...blech!

Words's avatar

Kouros Eau D'Ete by Yves Saint Laurent

This could very easily pass as a mint mouthwash. And the clear blue bottle doesn't help you shake that feeling, either. Sitting there, having sprayed a few sprays on my shirt, I kept getting an occasional whiff of Eau D'Ete and remember thinking, "hmmm... mouthwash?" Very minty and clean. Pretty good sillage for a Summer version. I really cant imagine using this at any other time than in the soaring temps of an Indian Summer.

09 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2008)

zenpiper's avatar

Bandit Light pour Homme by Robert Piguet

Pretty amazing stuff. I first heard about it from Martin Chung of Liquid Art on eBay. He said that was his signature fragrance and that is smelled like car tires. Martin was right. It starts off just horribly. But then it dries down into a fairly agreeable leather scent; a bit like Knize Ten, but way, way stronger. Extremely memorable but not for the faint of heart. (Oh, this is not for the "Light" version, but for the Regular Bandit pour homme).

zenpiper's avatar

Wilderness by Tru Fragrance

Different and good. Wilderness is a singular fragrance in a way the Jovan Grass Oil, Creed Cuir de Russie and Bandit for men by Robert Piguet are all unique and not remotely similar to anything else. I wish I knew more about notes and composition, but here's a guess: subdued balsam, leather, very muted citrus. The opening is quite pungent but, after it dries down it becomes soft and really terrific. As with Bandit, I am not certain that ladies will find this scent appealing, but I think it's the fragrance to wear with a leather bomber jacket.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Garrigue by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A rich aromatic with the quality you'd expect from Laporte but without the sparkle to match some of the other MPG creations. In addition, to my nose, Garrigue has the most truthful sweat note I've encountered in fragrances. It's fresh summer sweat you'd get on a beach or picking fruit in the sun, but sweat nonetheless. Wonder if it's a signature house note (I've seen it lurking in a couple of other MPGs) or just my skin chemistry. Try before you buy.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

maybe a scent of another time.....but still timeless.Elegant,decent and classical.fresh and warm citrus scent.you won´t do any mistake wearing it.good choice in summer besides pour monsieur by chanel and eau sauvage by dior.nothing for kinky little boys.it´s a gentleman´s choice.

slademd's avatar

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

I love this scent!!! I have the perfume roll on, the body mist, and the candle. This scent is sweet like the first bloom of a creamy gardenia blossom opening. It is sensual and enchanting. The addition of nag champa makes a girl feel like she is annointing herself with holy oil. The candle has the ability to transport you to the tropics. I could go on and on. I tried the Kai perfume thinking it would be similar, but I found it to be too "green". The gardenia with no sex appeal, no humidity, no incense. Monyette Paris makes men lean in and stay for a while just to get a whiff.
    This is a perfume like no other, for all those who love the tropics and who love being sexy!

zoop's avatar

Finland Finland

Déclaration by Cartier

Citrusy and soapy. As with some fragrances that remind me of certain brands of mosquito repellents, the connection of Déclaration to a dishwashing detergent is too strong for me to to wear it.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Disclaimer - when G PH is one of your all time favorites, it is hard not to be biased.

Envy is great, but it reminds me of medicinal creams. So I use this setback to my advantage as my new daytime clinic frag.

The drydown is amazing. Based on reviews, I don't see how this fragrance could be described as refined. It is pleasant, powerfull and powdery but far from refined.

On me, if I took vanilla, antimicrobial triple ointment cream, topical anesthetic cream and some ginger/nutmeg spice I would end up with the same medium and base. The amazing part to this frag, is that it actually works together!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Not much more to add. A very good, classy fouragee. I have Chanel's Platinum Egoiste and this frag is basically the same. Well, I have Realities as well, and I am pretty sure that if I combine 2 parts PE and 1 part Realities, I get this fragrance. Overall, very good frag for the money, opens up intensely, base is smooth and pleasant. A+

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Mixed feelings - I tried the EDT. I was expecting the frag to be sweeter and crisper but it is smooth, almost powdery. I like it more than Pi as it is more spicy and less nauseating.

More refined than many orientals including Gucci's Envy.

Somehow, I wanted to get intoxicated in the frag and it was bland but pleasant. Stay was good even for EDT. I personally like Santana and Gray Homme Lacoste more as they simply have more layers and complexity. Ditto for Burberry London.

I also have Envy which I like more as a basic non-offensive medicinal smelling vanilla clinic frag.

Definately should try if you are a fan of orientals.

Echo by Davidoff

Synthetic yes, may have a limited niche. It reminds me of the sweet smells associated with the upholstery scorched by the sun. It is sweet, synthetic, metalic. The base has a fabric softner aspect to it that is not as distinct as your average oriental but pleasant.

Overall, I could see somebody like this fragrance based on that burnt car seat smell - it reminded me of my first car. The base is nice.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Aqua de Bulgari = Aquatic male fresh fragrance. Light.

Less character than the Acua de Gio and Polo's Black.

Better stay than Polo Black, much less A de G on me.

Not a bad try for the aquatic fan. Personally, don't like aquatics. Tried it wanting to see if it had another dimension to it, and it failed: it was very predictable, aquatic.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Over 60 reviews and only Dan G, almost 3 years ago got it right. This is nothing but a smoother, more 'professionally' contrived SPARK by Liz Clairborne. If you like SPARK, you'll love VARVATOS, and vice versa. I sampled SPARK first and I like it although it was all over the place. JOHN VARVATOS is well crafted and is composed from opening to dry down. And it lasts well.

SMELL: spicy sweetness, like brandy plus rum plus date/fig pie. The manly leather wannabe doesn't show up until the dry down. Last reasonably well...you might not smell it on yourself, but others will.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

John Varvatos smells exactly the same, just more put together. If you like this but can't stand it's lack of composure, go with Varvatos, you will not be dissapointed.
    Spark Seduction is much better too...a little less noisy and cleaner, but essentially the same scent.

suki's avatar

Ecuador Ecuador

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

I've never tried the old nina butthe way you describe is not the kind of smell i'll enjoy.
    In dispite of that one the latest nina version is definetly awsome.it is a fragrance destinated for 20's till 29 or 30 years old but it won´t be ofensive on older women.
    tou can notice apple and pineapple candy, it's a sweet'n sour concoction that will drive you far away to your happy days.
    the heart includes tomato blossom, peony, and exotic hibiscus.
    the bottom creamy musk and orris wood.
    recomended for collectors, the bottle is charming; also recomended for romantic women at any age.

Dave88's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Wonderful. Cannot rate this fragrance any higher. However, it is important to heed the advice of some of the other reviewers...know what you're getting into. This is not the typical fragrance. Designed really work with your skin chemistry, it's a light, classic scent...the best "fresh" there is. Not meant to overpower, this one with will pleasantly surprise people. My perfect summer scent.

deeperthought's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Love this one. A nice accord of fresh / spicy / sweet notes. Yea it is quite light (for an extreme frag' anyway) but this renders it ideal for day and office wear

cheadle's avatar

Camera for Men by Max Deville

I wore this a few years ago, a sensual manly fragrance, great for a night out with the sweetheart. To be honest i know of nothing that smells quite like it(which is a plus) and its a suprise that it is somewhat difficult to find.
    My closest approximation of its likeness would be the opening of HERRERA for men and the drydown of PHOTO by Lagerfeld, My guess is if you like any or both frags you'd probably like CAMERA for men

ck__'s avatar

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

I think it smells pretty unique. The most dominant smell to me is the black licorish. The longevity isn't great though in my opinion.

MadameParfum's avatar

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

I love the original - so glamorous, sophisticated. The new version barely has anything in common - smells so different to me. It is much more modern, in the sense that it is like all the generic department store scents - no longer unique and kinda cheap. The Intense version is much closer to the original; not quite as good, but good enough.

ozkat's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

I found that the cucumber drowned out the apple.....I was expecting really fresh, acidic, apple-dominated topnotes, but it smells like wilted cucumber. The drydown is nice enough, though quite boring and generic. I sort of regret the purchase.

Ursamajor's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Really great fragrance, but it does not last long.approximately 2 hours, then you can not smell it again.

Cinnamom's avatar

Émeraude by Coty

Well, this confirms it; cheap thrills are just fine with me! I've loved Emeraude for half a century, and though it's undeniably changed a bit, it's still Emeraude & I still love it . . . especially in late fall & winter. I associate it with Christmas and early loves. It once came in a bath oil that was s-o-o-o-o wonderful. I'd dab a bit of the bath oil on my pulse points, then sprinkle the eau de toilette over. It would last all day and stay as true as I wanted my lovers to be. Sigh.

Cinnamom's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

Add me to the list of those who have loved Chantilly for years. I would hate to think that I craved validation for something that I've enjoyed for so many years. It works perfectly with my chemistry, and when I want to just perk up without dipping into my beloved L'heure Bleu, Chantilly is a delight. I have several bottles; since I travel so often, one 'lives' in my suitcase. Heaven in a bottle.Great balance & staying power, in every sense (and scents). A real triumph.