Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I expected something dark and spicy, but got a blast of geranium, followed by carnation, with a touch of clove and oranges. It reminds me a little of my mother's pomanders, only soapier. The base is pleasantly aromatic, but the geranium dominates too much for my personal tastes.
    I'm also surprised this is unisex. I can't really imagine a man wearing this at all.

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A cool floral, perfect for a bright spring day. Initially it's quite pungent, but this dries down to a subtle, musty undercurrent, leaving the flowers to proliferate. I get a lot of jasmine from this, and in this regard it reminds me of Alien, though it's a lot less in your face.
    Even though Une Fleur de Cassie is not really my style, I can see its attractions.

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

The violet and lily are dominant to my (admittedly) untutored nose. Unfortunately, because I don't care for violet at all. I don't get much sense of the vanilla, cedar or amber - the florals are far too dominant. Not for me, I think.

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

As you'd expect from the name, this is all honeyed woods. I love it, but it may be too cavity-inducing for some.
    Lasts all day, too. Yum.

TricsMan's avatar

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

The notes and the drydown have been described most eloquently below.

This has been my most disappointing Creed. Like a shooting star, a fantastic experience that too soon becomes a memory.

BradtheImpaler2's avatar

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Love lemon? Get this. VERY similar to Boss #1, except I give this the edge cause it does it without that slight urine-like twinge of Boss. Like a better version of Boss#1 to me.

BradtheImpaler2's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

The male version of Shalimar. Actually, it might as well be the FEMALE version for the first few minutes, then some better notes start to arrive.

Mack's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My first SL scent was Chergui and I fall in love with it.After having read the characteristics of Fumerie Turque on basenotes the temptation to smell and wear it were too strong.So I have buyed a bottle on a shop on line.My wife first smelled to it just because when it was delivered I was at work and she sent me a message on my phone : "At first it smeels like Etro's Gomma, but then it is another wondering story...".
    The richness of the notes are outstanding and I can't resist, when I must make my choice of the scent to use in the morning before go to work, to it.
    Everyone near me,when I wear it, can't resist to make me compliments about my perfume.
    Thank you SL!

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I smelled this fragance with a friend that originally wanted to buy Polo Black to attract some girl that hes really into. He told the lady in the store that he was looking for something diferent and attractive for women. This lady soon picked up this fragance and showed it to us. To me was totally unpleasant and too sweet for me. Not what i was expecting for a mans fragance. My friend didnt like at all because we both agreed that its smell like some kind of berry thing. For a little bit of more cost, i convinced him to buy Chic if he wants to really surprise somebody. The lady later confessed that she just popped out this horrible fragance because she had to sell a least amount of this thing. Dond Buy IT unless your into very irresistible, A*men and all other fragances that have to do something with chocolate or syrup.

Elements by Hugo Boss

i don´t like it very much, it´s a bit boring,and i don´t find the metal and the aquatic elements wich referes the advertisement either

Escada Homme by Escada

mmmhhhhh...it´s a pleasure, i think it´s a bit aphrodisiac,the cognac note gives it a special twist, it´s very smart and elegant, it´s pity escada homme´s dicontinued

Theorema Uomo by Fendi

i loved this fragrance, so fresh, so elegant,for me it´s very modern and chic,that´s my impression

mr. anderson's avatar

Spain Spain

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

it´s wonderfull!! soft, smooth, elegant...

Booster by Lacoste

It is very casual and sporty but unfortunately you could as well take a much cheaper sporty deodorant just a few shelfs lower.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A real disapointment because simply too sweetish.
    But if you are under 20, have greasy hair and a golden chain or simply the son of Tony Soprano this fragrance will perfectly suit you.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Strong, classic and yet fresh. Really something for the summer if you want to get some attention from the ladies.
    Also quite long lasting.It is probably one of Hugo Boss better ones. . .

Nobile by Gucci

This was a blind buy at a sale and I immediately fell in love with it because it is a strong manly fragrance but stil fresh and well balanced so it doesn't make you smell like your own grandfather.I never found anything similar although 'Loewe para Hombre' might possibly get close.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Very fresh and yet not too fruity.
    Great for casual and sports but not as an evening/night fragrance.
    Unfortunately not too airy so it didn't really last long on me.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is really a scent that needs to work with your body's chemistry, otherwise you are in deep trouble. I do admit that I have detected a vaguely piss-y like undercurrent on those not fortunate enough to wear it. If it works for you, this is not the case at all.

However, this is and will always be one of my favorite frags of all time. Want to smell like every other Tom Dick or Harry walking around the mall? There are plenty of scents for you to choose from. Rather smell like distinct, and elegant in that European '80s kind of way? Think Gstaad, Aston Martin Volantes, Nutter's on Savile Row, et al.

One of my lady friends LOVES this smell on me, and when someone else said, "what is that perfume? you smell old," my friend replied, "hot old and rich, maybe."

Oaksbluff's avatar

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Admittedly, I have a thing for scents that are not the norm. But then again, I'm the kid who watched "Dynasty" with my mother, drinking ginger ale in a champagne flute because I adored Joan Collins (as anyone in their right mind should!), and who thought that watching the "Love Boat" was sufferable only as a means to stay up past my bedtime to watch "Fantasy Island."

This frag is in my top five of all time list. It is strong enough to be a classy evening scent, yet also light enough for day wear. As others have said, beware the over-application, for the kiss can turn into the slap all too quickly.

ctbw's avatar

Cigar Aficionado by Cigar Aficionado

This has a nice, sweet smell, maybe a little like pineapple. On me, the fragrance lasts a good long time, not degrading into anything, but staying sweet to the end. And the longeivity is good. I like it!

ctbw's avatar

De Viris by Jacques Bogart

This scent is bitter and dark going on, and it is bitter and dark when it finally vanishes. If there is something light and sweet in the formulation, I cannot detect it. Not totally awful, but not good.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Wow, just wow. This stuff is amazing. Its so refined, yet at the same time it's very youthful and trendy. It's such a shame that it doesn't last longer.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

It actually smells like sweaty ass!

Pink Lotus by Aftelier

I believe this fragrance was created for Madonna as a present from Sting and Trudi Styler. I haven't tried it.

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

My local Thierry Mugler SA gave me a sample of this today, it goes on sale next week. I'm pretty sure that it's the A*Men summer flash just rebranded and given it's own permanent line of products. I did a comparison of the two and really couldn't smell the difference. It's a nice fragrance, a toned down version of A*Men, the 'Iced Coffee' is the most prominent note, it also contains nutmeg. I would possibly buy it, but it's really nothing to get overjoyed about.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Crown Imperial by Crown Perfumery

First of all, it is a shame this house was closed by Clive Christian, though he was probably merely reacting to lack of interest. "Rule Britannia" perfumes are not for "Cool Britannia" times perhaps.
    I adore Sandringham and I love Quinine and Town&Country, as well as Maréchale. As for Imperial, I wish I could have the top without the bottom. This is surely the most refreshing, natural and powerful lemon in fragrance history. Just the right thing to kick the sleep out of the eyes of Sir Humphrey Caton-Jones, MP, before a day of parliamentary debate or help a dapper Lieutenant Colonel keep fresh at 45 degree Calcutta heat. What follows then, however, is a very powdery and somewhat musty (rather than musky) drydown which irritates like invectives from the opposition bench or nasty mosquitos. Like a shirt collar that's too tight or an out-of-tune brassband you want it to stop, but it won't. Such a shame. Thumbs up for the lemon, thumbs down for the rest, makes a neutral.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Jour d'Étè by Roberto Capucci

One of a trio of Capuccis packed in trapezoidal ceramic bottles: Corps Fou, Sang Royal, and this 'beauty.' They date from some time in the 1980s and represent the Hades to R de Capucci's Olympus Mons. Summer day? A sweet powdery citrus of almost nauseating quality, this smells of shabby old prostitute rather than a gentleman in white. Well, I’ll settle for “tacky drugstore frag”. Come to think of it, this is a travesty of Capucci pour homme, an extremely well made floral citrus. Jour d'Été is “Divine” (as in John Waters, not Yvonne Mouchel) impersonating Faye Dunaway.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Elegant, golden, creamy. This is how I can best describe this precious elixir from MPG! One of my favorite offerings by this fragrance house. With my chemistry, it is what I always hoped Guerlain's Shalimar could be! Lovely.

11th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2008)

zztopp's avatar

Café-Café Puro pour Homme by Cofinluxe

Cafe Cafe Puro pour homme (ccp) is a text book example of seduction via top notes. An inviting and well balanced fruity-citrus bouquet of notes makes a good initial impression. From there, it all goes down hill. My nose picks up some clove and spices before an extremely generic and synthetic plasticky drydown hits like a ton of poorly mixed concrete. It has that "I have smelled it elsewhere" vibe to it - well yes we have, we have smelled it in every generic mens cologne released since the mass use of cheap synthetic molecules in perfume. Its a chemical fart of epic proportions really and it wont let up.

Even at $15 per bottle, this is not a "good value" fragrance. You really are getting what you pay for. Old Spice is good value. Brut is good value. Iceberg Twice is good value. Hell, many classic YSL fragrances are now amazing value. Ccp is not "good value". The most interesting thing about Ccp is its sinewy snout-like bottle, which along with Smallto Fullchoke's bottle might find multiple uses inside and outside one's personal den. Sad really.