Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

Very sexy and wearable.

Fiorello's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Fleur du Male is all about neroli and I love it. I am particularly keen on florals (and Baudelaire). It was different than what I was expecting. It is not a "white" floral, like jasmine or carnation. There is an earthy, mossy, base accord that is very grounding and expertly extends the potent ethereal/earthy, dualistic character of the neroli. If jasmine sambac is the masculine version of jasmine, then FDM is the masculine version of neroli. The juice is very linear but not problematically so, due to its expansive uniqueness. There is a slightly synthetic note that is somewhat distracting but it seems to make the neroli more tenacious, which in the end is what it's all about. It definitely leans toward the sweet side of the spectrum but not near the vanilla/benzoin end (thank goodness). The sillage is adequate. The overall tenacity is somewhat limited, but not enough to steer me away from this super-sexy, esoteric, modern fragrance marvel. Like a hands-all-over-the-place romp in a flowering orange grove. oh la la!

Eau de Hongrie by Fragonard

This is one of the better jasmine/bergamot scents out there, but it's just not a combination I enjoy. It doesn't last long and, like a lot of the Fragonard scents, it smells dated. Also, the citrus note is out of place.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Not bad, but the vanilla makes it too sweet for my taste. It doesn't last long - only 1-2 hours. Casran is a better, more durable take on the same theme.

FCUK Him by French Connection

This smells like bubble gum, and not in a good way. It's also extremely weak. Stay away.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Very unique and masculine. The drawback is that it does have a cleaning product strong citric note but that is spiced up very nicely. Not a "me too" scent.

To compare it to a classic fougeree would be a crime since this frag is distinct. Yes, you will get the tonka notes but also the citrucy notes will be there as well. Does not develop, but I consider that a plus b/c on me this is the first citrusy frag that actually lasts more than an aftershave. Overall, I like it, not sure if I will buy.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Armani Code = Black Code = Clean oriental unisex frag

Very pleasant, could easily be an office scent.

Not sure where the "black" comes from: this scent is not solemn, not sophisticated, just soft and clean. Not overly sweet.

Stay and sillage were average. Not very dimensional, just smells "nice" as per my girlfriend.

I like Burbery Brit, Jaipur, and Lacoste Green PH more and they are within the same class and have more complexity. Not nauseating like Pi. Code is not a bad frag, and would go along with a timid but well meaning demeanor. Just not me :)

Essential by Lacoste

Essential Green Lacoste = somewhat masculine, citrucy/floral frag

I like it b/c it is fresh, but it was ran by tangerine. Much better than Cerruti Image, not nearly as manly and bold as Tuscani by Aramis.

Could see where this frag could get old quickly even if you like the scent. There is not much in the way of development, but the stay is pretty good for a citrucy frag. Sillage was good.

If anybody really loves Essential and thinks it is the bomb, try YSL Kourous _Fraicheur_ which has more dimension, is fresher and lasts longer. It is worth the premium price (it was discontinued) :(

Overall, Essential is not a bad frag and is a safe buy.

pez_man's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

A bit lemon in the beginning, and then it's pine, pine, pine, pine, pine for about two hours... I'm wondering if this scent is especially sensitive to the body chemistry, since one reviewer couldn't find any pine at all??!! And that's about all I can find... Very strange! Definitely one to test thoroughly on your skin before purchasing!

nyneve's avatar

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

On my skin it start as a banal clove, but, after 30 min, is pure eugenol as at my dentist.
    The final notes : camphre & naftaline.
    Horrible!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

G Him by Gap

Clean, crisp and nice. A more manly version of BANANA RPUBLIC Classic

Indiscreet's avatar

Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal

I am road testing this one today, after picking up a sample from Les Senteurs.
    First off, whilst I could smell it on the testing strip, I had to put a hefty amount on before I could smell it on my own skin. With notes like lily of the valley, vanilla and almond, I was expecting Diorissimo meets Hypnotic Poison, and what I got was (as other people have commented) very faint Johnson's baby lotion.
    I don't think I have the right chemistry for this - it dies on me. Since I can wear really strident perfumes like Poison or Angel without knocking over everyone in the vicinity,I guess this is too delicate for me. Calchic is right - this is for someone who wears cream lace and Laura Ashley, not someone who stomps around in black leather or combats.

bsmith001's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I have been a Creed fan for about 5 years and of course still am. However, after sampling this new fragrance, it really had something that I like. As mentioned, it's very masculine in a very handsome way. It has alot of "presence" to it....sort of a smouldering sweetness. As the Burberry description says, it does indeed seem timeless and classic...the way the tobacco, pepper, cinnamon, and liquor play together is truly intriguing. This is not a fruity summer scent by no means, and while it may be better suited for cooler weather, the right man...one who doesn't necessarily care anyway but simply uses this as his signature frag. can definitely pull this off in the summer. It's kind of odd that I would say this knowing that Cary Grant wore the likes of Green Irish Tweed and Acqua Di Parma, it honestly reminds me of something that he would have wore...at least in his early days of The Philadelphia Story...back when a man was a man...a gentleman. It's a very smouldering fragrance. While this is EDT, I do think the Creeds last a little longer, but hey, just apply another squirt or two this stuff as it's fairly strong anyway.

Reed's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

First off, I am a tea fanatic. I drink a lot of it, and I order the fancy imported stuff online. So naturally I love the smell of this fragrance. I would rarely want to smell like it though. I would never wear it to work or even out of the house. This would be a good fragrance for a nice lazy Sunday at home with a warm sweater on, a fire going, a comfortable chair, and a nice book. Sideways thumb because the longevity is horrible on me. Seriously, I just pour it on and in 30 minutes it is mostly gone. As nice as it smells, I can't recommend a fragrance with such poor longevity.

Reed's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Though there are a number of things going on in this scent, I just can't get over the smell of animal. I recognize that for some people this can be nice, but if you grew up in the city with no pets (like me) there's a good chance you're not going to like this. Animals to me smell dirty and unwashed, and that's how this scent made me feel. Luckily the longevity wasn't very good on me.

cynny's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Jil (original) by Jil Sander

Jill was the first perfume I bought for myself lots of years ago, but I still love it! Subtle, but with good staying power. First love never ends. Today it's hard to get by though, pitty...

cynny's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Sha by Alfred Sung

Not complicated, simple, flowery and nice... Just a shame this one doesn't last long on me. I personally like Shi better, even though I'm a fan of sweet scents. It lasts longer too.

ryanm's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I tried this today, based on the positive reviews here, and came away rather nonplussed. It's both fruitier and sweeter than I expected. Unfortunately, it reminds me strongly of some gelatine type sweets ("candies" to the U.S. guys) I knew as a kid, which makes the whole experience a bit off-putting.

Mr.Smellgood's avatar

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

I just got this frag and I like it so far. Quite manly without being offensive.

Kirk's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

If Drakkar were a football player, it would be Payton Manning. Over-exposed, consistent, traditional, with nobody doubting its brilliance. But like Payton, in the end its just BORING.

Why would a person wear Drakkar, when there is so many fragrances out there, and one of which can be your special fragrance that defines you. Drakkar defines millions.

When I am with someone special (romance-wise, business-wise, family-wise), I want to leave a fragrance behind that is only me (a special fragrance that works with my chemistry to create a unique blend). Drakkar dominates any chemistry its mixed with.

1 star
    out of 5

Delmar's avatar

Norway Norway

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This must be a winner! I can't see how this scent would be obnoxious or off-putting. Immediately upon applying my sample, I was reminded of Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver - which has a very earthy greenness to it. I seemded to notice an element of leather as well. Despite a faint hint of barnyard there is, as I experience this, an overriding imagery of non-flowery fresh outdoors and perhaps breezy wooded areas. It is certainly a complex and undoubtedly a very well constructed scent from which I get positive associations.

11th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2009)

ivypt295's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

absolutely love this fragrance! Its my signature perfume! Its difficult to find a perfume without flowers - any suggestions? Evie

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Probably my favorite these days. It works for any ocassion.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

I rarely wear this anymore, but for a long, late night party, this is a great fragrance

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

A classic for any ocassion.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I haven't smelled this cologne that my father sometimes used for many many years. Oddly enough, just thinking about the fragrance, my mouth is starting to water! I would never use it, but I'd like to smell it to be reminded of the past. It's not sold at any of the fragrance counters where I shop since it's considered so old and out of it!

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

This reminds me of college. The first people I knew to use this cologne were some gay aquaintances of mine, so because of my homophobia, I avoided this "gay" scent, even though I liked it. When I finally "came out" years later, I bought some. It's a strong, unique fragrance, not for everyday use.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

I find this a fairly non-descript cologne. It doesn't "say anything!" I wear it when I want to blend in.

benb's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Fresh and with a certain oomph. But it could definetly use a extreme version. It is a tad bit week if you ask me. Very good though and well made. Reminds me of some other scent which I can't place at the moment. Thumbs up anyway with a reservation due to the lack of strength.
    benb

12 March, 2007

benb's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Classic and elegant. Not very original but good nontheless. Considering all the ingredients in this one it should have better strengt. Maybe its my skinchemistry who is the problem. If you want a alternative to allure, pour une homme and the likes of them use this one. And dont be afraid of overspraying. It is needed. Neutral due to the lack of strength.
    benb