Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Dante's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Aramis Life by Aramis

It took a while, but I really like this. It's not typical of the Aramis 'style' of men's scent and won't ever blow you away like, say, Havana would, but by stealth it has crept into my affections.

It starts fresh and fruity - the lime and spearmint are prominent, but very quickly backed up with the more floral violet and something sweeter. The violet leaves remain throughout as the dominant note, joined by woods as time passes. Typically for Aramis this lasts a full day and does develop as it dries down. Avoiding overspray is key to ensuring the sweetness does not become overpowering.

Overall this is a fruity, floral woody fragrance which works well for casual and particularly romantic occasions. A little more lime to provide an enduring tang to go with the violets and it would be immense, but as it stands it's a welcome addition to my wardrobe.

Must de Cartier by Cartier

I picked up a small bottle of the vintage extrait...definitely better than the Men's version that came out a few years ago in terms of longevity, quality, and sillage. I'm not so much a fan of musk, and this is a floral musk, but done with such talent and skill that it smells like a high quality essential musk oil--I'll definitely allow this in my wardrobe! Sweet, smooth, sexy animalic! Do not hesitate! The extrait is so strong, I managed to detect the scent by only applying what liquid that adhered to the lip of the flacon on my skin. I haven't tested the reformulated version, so I don't know what ill has been done to it, but definitely see if you can get ahold of the vintage before thinking of getting the newer stuff.

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

I don't know what's wrong with my skin, but all I got was the bitter smelling scent of Muguet on me...instant nasal death association to Crown Perfumery's Sandringham for me. You just can't put your nose to where you sprayed it. Smells gross that way...PERIOD! Funny how I caught a lot of spiciness smelling the spray nozzle on the bottle, but it turned a totally different thing on my skin.

Jjzerby's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

This is good stuff!!!! No Doubt!!

I used to get compliments at work when I wore this. You won't regret it.

Jjzerby's avatar

Realm by Realm Fragrances

I have a bottle,I got it at Walgreens.
    It smells great. On the Pheromones, that's NONSENSE!! I got it for the smell. I don't have a lot of stock in pheromones.

mugler's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Can't believe those who say egoiste is too sweet, cloying etc. This is the best vanillic scent, IMO, not headache inducing like mostly newer sweet, vanilla scents, very soft and round, transparent vanilla and the smoothest of woods and spices blends with a faint rose accord ( yes the rose is not so up front in there with my experience) . It has the classic Chanel character with a relatively modern smell that makes it perfect for someone in their 20s who thinks Antaeus is too dated. Chanel scents truly has magic, Antaeus makes you smell like money, PM concentree is sexy, and this one, well it makes you feel like an indulgent egoist.

LiveJazz's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This one is hard to review. On the one hand, I love the smell of it. I love the idea of it. And I love how well Dior executed it. It brings back memories of my family's lawn shed. It always smelled of dried grass, dust, and tractor. I actually used to go in there just to revel in the smell. Even before I'd developed this hobby, I swore that I'd like to smell like that shed did.

Well, I've had the opportunity to smell like that shed, and I didn't like it. It just made me uncomfortable, smelling like dust, grass, and tractor. Sure there are some woody floral notes in there, but that isn't what you notice, is it?

So, thumbs up because it is an amazing scent that I admire and love. I just won't be wearing it on a regular basis.

LiveJazz's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I can see how one could like this scent a lot. It has many likeable characteristics. It's quite sweet. It's very distinctive. It's sensual.

But to me it's just too brash. It's like a multitude of hyperactive notes are trapped in a tiny cell trying to escape. If the cell were bigger or if the notes were not so energetic, the scent would work. But as they are, they form a clashing, searing, annoying mess.

The tobacco and the plum are big, sweet notes. Incense seems like it would help dry the composition out and smooth the progression a bit, but the incense in Michael reminds me of wet, sweet hookah smoke rather than dry fire-smoke. On top of all this, there's some ugly, medicinal, synthetic note that I can't place in Michael. I can't stand it.

Park Avenue by Bond No. 9

I LOVE Park Avenue. I sampled it at the Bond counter at Saks last Saturday, and then sampled it again, and then again...and finally I had to admit this fragrance had completely captured my heart. I purchased it on the spot. Park Avenue is an elegant, perfectly lovely, hypnotic balance of fresh blossoms on a subtle vanilla base. I sense what I call a "tea" note, but that's probably my personal reaction to the chamomile. Park Avenue has the rare, and extremely desirable trait of smelling "alive". It has great lasting power, and satisfying sillage. I adore it.
    Park Avenue is special to me for another reason: it was the catalyst of one of those serendipitous, surreal life occurences that seem to be impossible, statistically. At the Bond counter, another woman was bewitched by Park Avenue just as I was. We sniffed, and oohed and ahhhed to each other for about 20 minutes. We each decided to purchase a bottle at the same time. While the SA was ringing up our purchases (and overloading us with samples), we began a converstation. After several minutes, we were simultaneously stunned into silence as we...recognized each other. It turns out she's an old dear friend with whom I used to communicate via another fragrance board; several years ago. We'd never met in person, but we'd always wanted to. A tragedy in my life took me away from my fragrance hobby for awhile, and, unfortunately over the years, I'd lost touch with this friend. Yet, across time and space, there we were on Saturday - buying a Bond and reviving a bond! Yet another amazing Perfume Moment. So...Park Avenue is lovely, and if you like to smell like a new garden on a balmy day, this one's for you.

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

It's quite similar to Light Blue, minus the cedar, and Eclat d'Arpege, minus the apple, but the lily note makes it distinctive. This is an extremely lovely, uplifting fragrance that exudes joy. Lovely bottle, too!

12 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2008)

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

Bryant Park is a flirty, bright fragrance that's positively enticing. This clic concoction begins with a bright burst of fresh, tart raspberry. The raspberry becomes juicier, but not syrupy or sweet, as the fragrance warms with rose, white blossoms, and rhubarb. It sustains a tart feel, which is quite unusual on me when a fragrance has any type of berry. Bryant Park is clever, and radiates an aura of confidence. Even with heart notes of patchouli base, it's light, with an airy, amber silkiness. The raspberry note is prominent, and lasts throughout wear, but this never comes across as a run-of-the-mill fruity-floral. Overall, Bryant Park is a summery, feminine, stylish fragrance that I'm sure will be one of the stars of Bond's prolific line.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is probably the most manly fragrance I've ever smelled. And actually ~ I really like the topnotes! Yep, they're good for me, somewhat dry; aromatic. The drydown comes as a bit of a suprise. I think it's the unexpected sweetness in the sandalwood. Very original and very sexy too. All the fragrances from MPG have excellent sillage & remarkable longevity. Highly impressive!

zenpiper's avatar

Palladio by Fragluxe

I am not sure if it's the same stuff that Foetidus is writing about; I have a sample vial that says Palladio/Michaelangelo. Well, no matter, I like it. It reminds me of Gianfranco Ferre pour homme; bright, light, Italian and mostly pleasant. There's an undertone of bug spray but I don't mind. Good for a party on the deck!

purplebird7's avatar

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

Good golly, this is one gorgeous grapefruit--bursting fresh from the peel (even though we know it is synthetic.) It lasts for hours, it stays perfectly true. Underneath is spice, listed as cinnamon leaves, but it comes across as something green and lovely like basil. This gets my hightest marks for a citrus scent. Truly fabulous.

SpinDiva's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

This is a wonderful and perhaps more youthful addition to the Creed line.

This is the scent to run for when the winter doldrums have settled in and you need a dose of spring.

Imagine lying on a resort style beach, drinking a mojito, all lathered up in the finest suntan lotion. Combine the smell of the cocktail, the warm skin, the lotion, the ocean and the sun - and there you have it! YUM!

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain

A distant relative of Bandit and Cabochard, more "watery" and cool than any of them, a little flatter and more plasticky/soapy/perfumey. The cumin is rather interesting and subtle enough not too disturb, and there seems to be a warm wood note somewhere underneath the cool greens. As a vintage chypre it's ok but not one of the best.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Diorling by Christian Dior

A powdery old-fashioned chypre, a little musty. Not bad, but not worth seeking desperately for vintage bottles either, in my opinion. There are other vintage chypres that stand out more.

Indiscreet's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

This reminds me of being ill, primarily because when I had a temperature, my mother would soak a hankie in this and put it on my fevered brow. I don't really like it, but you can't deny it's a classic. Everyone has had a dab of this at some point in their lives.

Gillian Lloyd's avatar

China Rose by Floris

I'm not sure about that last review, because I wore it to a dinner party last week and got compliments. My boyfriend gave me a bottle for my birthday, and I’m very happy with it- and still wonder how he knew to pick it out. Yes, you’re aware you’ve got in on, but there’s nothing heavy about it and I think its got very good sillage, actually.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

IN RE-REVIEWING THIS SOMETIMES MISUNDERSTOOD MASTERPIECE, AFTER MANY YEARS OF WEARING IT, I AM CONVINCED THAT WORN IN MODERATION, AND IN COOL WEATHER, THIS IS A FABULOUS FRAGRANCE. IN A QUASI-FORMAL OR DRESSY CONTEXT, ONE CAN WEAR GG IN PUBLIC WITH CONFIDENCE. BUT IT MUST BE DONE WITH LIGHT SPRAYING FROM EIGHT TO TEN INCHES FROM THE SKIN. BASED UPON THIS REAPPRAISAL, I HAVE CHANGED MY RATING TO A THUMBS UP. GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN IS ONE OF THE TRULY GREAT AND POWERFUL FRAGRANCES ON THE MARKET TODAY. SOMEDAY IT WILL BE DISCONTINUED AND IF BASENOTES IS STILL HERE, WE OR THE NEXT GENERATION OF REVIEWERS WILL DEBATE WHETHER THIS WAS ON PAR WITH THE LIKES OF THE GREAT PATOUS. IT IS, AND LETS PRAY IT NEVER DOES GET DISCONTINUED.

12 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 15 October, 2012)

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Mitsouko for me today is a trip back into my past, when I marvelled at the look of the bottles in the department store and the bottle of extrait opened and held to my nose when I asked a kind and patient sales associate. All I remember was it smelling diffusive and thick, like velvet being wrapped around you over and over...not a bad thing, just too seductive for a kid who didn't even know what a paycheck was.

I managed to snag a small bottle of vintage extrait lately. JOY! The scent hadn't degraded, its beauty well preserved to present day. It definitely speaks of a romantic era and time, with an undercurrent of melancholy, a quiet despair. Its spiciness is what grabs me and seems prominent in this extrait. It's wonderful how the oakmoss isn't persistent, but creates a delicate base on which the floral and spice rest. It's the peach that creates that melancholy against what I consider to be a seductive and mysterious elixir. Indeed, it's wonderfully made, but all too nostalgic and profoundly expressive which I think makes many turn away from this scent.

Pretty? NO! Not for someone if you want to smell pretty. Powerful and expressive and rather dark/mysterious? A definite and resounding YES!! for me. This is Guerlain in its true form.

lefay's avatar

Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

I second Ayala's review: this is warm, somewhat sweet and deep, and rather linear over the drydown -- and of course with that unmistakable Ormonde Jayne base. Has anyone else noted a striking similarity to Plus Que Jamais, which Guerlain released in 2005? PQJ may be a touch more foodie -- but otherwise these must have notes in common. Both are eminently wearable without being truly outstanding.

Quarry's avatar

Attrape Coeur / Guet-Apens / Royal Extract by Guerlain

I remember reading someone's comment that Attrape-Coeur is a creamy Mitsouko, and that description spurred me to sample A-C because I find Mitsouko a bit overpowering.
    Top: Rose, jasmine, tuberose
    Heart: Peach
    Base: Amber, musk
    I can appreciate this as a true Guerlain and a true work of art. However, like many beautiful works of art, it just doesn't speak to me on the "gotta own it" level. In the drydown I pick up on a kitchen-variety vanilla, very sweet and delectable.

Ronald's avatar

Aramis 900 by Aramis

An interesting chypre teetering on the precipice of orientaldom. "Dry floral" and "masculine floral" are indeed apt descriptions. The rose note is quite prominent - a whiff of fragrant moisture in an otherwise herbal desert-esque base. Smells like something straight out of a fragrance house on an oasis in the Arabian peninsula, although it seems to work quite well in a variety of climatalogical circumstances. Probably not as scarce as some fear... I found a plentiful supply at a local Dillard's. Doesn't have the best designed packaging, but it does look very apropos to its 1973 release. I give it a retro thumbs up.

sense_of_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Angel Food by Demeter Fragrance Library

smells like christmas cookies, very sweet, very vanille, very tasty. You should love foody- scents to try this one.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Eau Cendrée by Jacomo

A rich and warm citric/aromatic chypre, unhurried and with an unmistakable vintage feel that's a bit past its prime, along the lines of Lanvin Monsieur. Nice, but lacks the extra twist to raise it above some of its more adventurous contemporaries.

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Façonnable by Façonnable

I am surprised w/ the mixed reviews. Yes, not overly manly components but this frag is delightful, fresh and sophisticated.

Not unisex, nor sweet. Slightly soapy. Top notes not outstanding but not offensive either. Top reminds me of Versaci PH or D&G tops, not what I expected.

The drydown is better than the above mentioned frags and is spectacular. It is true that the sillage for the drydown is not as impressive as the D&G but that is not necessarly a negative aspect. I would dare compare this drydown to Safari in its sophistication but it is mostly exotic woods and not leathery/soapy.

This is a phenomenal floral/woody frag. If you like orientals at all, give this frag a shot.

Yes, I bought.

mikeperez23's avatar

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

Reminds me of a Demeter fragrance in it's total ability to recreate the smell of biting into a nectarine. I also get the peach & plum notes, but I did NOT smell the vetiver, honey or blackcurrant.

Doesn't last too long (like most JM scents), but who cares...for a few hours you smell fruity (NOT sweet, just fruity) and clean.

Great for weekends & garden work.

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

When i tried this fragance i was specting something citrus and grassy. It does smell like something citrus but it smells like lemon flavored Jello, not what i was specting.. Lets just say i thought i would be a little bit more acid like 212. And that "s" ingridient... i just have a great feeling it stands for "synthethic". I would buy eau de Cartier better.

Oriental Muse's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Desire for a Woman by Dunhill

It was a coincidence that one good friend of mine gave me a vial of this perfume just because she couldn't stand the strong scent. Considering that she is more into floral-oriental, I came to the conclusion that it should just tickle my happy nostrils. I was right.

Now, while other perfumes gradually move from one stage to another, Desire (for me) is a warm and sensual perfume that when straight to its strong (but good) notes of amber, sandalwood, caramel and vanilla. Although it didnt last long on me, the amber-vanilla mix smells delicious while it lasted. I intend to use the vial to its very last drop, thank you!