Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Oriental Muse's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I've been searching for my next signature perfume for ages and practically exhausted my nostrils from different perfumes, from the latest to the classics and finally, I think I've found it in Dolce Vita.

I still remember looking at its ad when I was younger and how it smelled gorgeous but it never really occurred to me to try it on again until I came to the conclusion that classic perfumes never fail you. When I finally tried it on a couple of days ago, it struck me about one thing... it made me incredibly sexy, the exact effect that Tocade had on me for years.

A big oriental-woody fan, its warm scent compliments my skin's chemistry fabulously and I could never say no to sandalwood and vanilla combo so it is a plus point. Another major plus point is its staying power. I cant wait to get my hands on one and see the compliments rolling in. Lovely!

Oriental Muse's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I've tried both the EDT and the EDP and I have to admit that the EDT smells a whole lot nicer than the latter. Although the it is gorgeous and incredibly inviting especially with its musky end notes (something that I absolutely adore in my perfumes), its staying power on my skin is so disappointing that I just couldnt make myself buy it, despite of its lovely smell.

Beauscent's avatar

Abercrombie & Fitch Spice by Abercrombie & Fitch

Believe it or not, to me this smelled very much like Escada pour homme which can still be found today. Escada being a better fragrance, IMO.

löwe's avatar

Germany Germany

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This my first review, so please bear with any terminological shakiness or imprecision.

I both like and dislike this edt, though I think more the latter.

Here is what I like: the woodsy, peppery undertones that emerge during the drydown.

Here is what I don't like: the sour, orange bite that is most present in the beginning but, on my skin at least, never quite leaves.

Though it is better than many I have tried, I don't think I make this Hermes one of my standards.

ComDiva's avatar

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

I love this fragrance. On my skin, Bois d'Armenie opens with dark woods on a sweet patchouli/musk base, with light whiffs of incense and spice. Elegant, gorgeous. Not for really hot weather, I think, but for autumn through the first spring flowerings, I believe BdA will be WONDERFUL. It is marketed as a men's scent, which I think is a mistake. To my nose, this is a unisex fragrance, and I highly recommend it to my fellow wood-note-loving women! As it dries down, the benzoin takes a bow. Mmmmmm... The woods fade, and the base mellows into the most comforting deepness. Still, while intense, it's not heavy.

Parfumer Annick Menard apparently based Bois d'Armenie on the room-freshening incense paper of the same name that's readily available in Europe, but not so much in the US, and IMO the perfume is indeed a successful version (of the PRE-burnt paper) for the skin.

F_Frez's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

I tested it last weekend in a very sunny and warm day, and believe it's a less fresher (and less lasting) version from Blv pour homme.

The top notes are almost the same ones from the original Blv por Homme, same fresh sensation and spicy ginger. Middle notes appears faster than the original Blv but they seems to be different, as traces of chocolate appears. Base notes are completely different, less woods than the Blv case, and a dominating chocolate note stays blended with the other notes.

On my skin the staying power was lesser (about 3-4 hours) compared with Blv pour Homme (7-8 hours). For office use, all seasons, I would prefer something stronger for an evening use. Range of ages around 30-40 years old.

F_Frez's avatar

Tous Man by Tous

I tested it on a paper, can't try it on my skin as I already had enough fragrances on my arm (and a 10 months old crying daughter in the other arm). The sales woman gave me the sprayed paper when I was going out from the store and she just said me "check it, it's a new one".

As first impression, it was a sweet fruity fragrance, not fresh, and for a while it remembered me a fruit or spice from my old Xeryus Rouge. Didn't felt it like a fragrance following the top-middle-base note schema, since the first spray it stayed with almost the same aroma. About 3 days after the test I checked the same paper and it had a similar smell, plus a little green note. On Internet I found the main notes were Indian Grapefruit, Brazilian Orange, Sechuan Pepper and Sage.

As it wasn't fresh, it's a fragrance more suitable for colder seasons like fall or spring, but due to the fruity notes it's not fully suitable for winter use. For office use and simple evening occasions, range of age around 20-40 years old.

ISmellGood's avatar

Pasha by Cartier

Pasha, the persian word for King ( I think).. this scent is definitely royal in nature. Very comples but to be used in ver very slight moderation. Just one tiny sprey on my chest is good enough for the whole night. This is Mint & woods done perfectly.

The Dreamer by Versace

It reminds me of a mix between two of my least favorite scents - Le Male and D&G PH - but it's better than either of those. It has Le Male's minty-sweet synthetic opening - but that fades pretty quickly. A lingering synthetic, light sweetness from the top remains to lighten the tobacco base, making it more tolerable than D&G's loud, wretched take on the note. As nice as the development is, the topnotes are just so synthetic, thick, and unpleasant. I can't give it a pure thumbs up, but I respect it.

14th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2009)

Clean Men by Clean

Gendarme gone wrong, in my opinion. It's sharp to a fault, which is normal in topnotes, but in this case the obnoxious and unchecked citrus notes continue their assault on your nose for hours. If you mean to smell like a clean man, just get Gendarme.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

After reading all these reviews I couldn't believe that a fragrance could really be THAT bland. Well, it is. One of the things that makes a fragrance great (or at least good) is its ability to make you think. When I finally had the chance to put this on, I put everything I'd heard about it out of my head and prepared to appreciate it for what it is. And I thought nothing. There it was...a fragrance. On your wrist. A benign smell. Not really citrus, not woody, not ambery, not barbershop. Impossible to hate, impossible to love. And saddest of all, I think that was CK's goal.

Tovah's avatar

Purple Water by Asprey

Purple Water is a fabulous fragrance for refreshing the mind and spirit on a very hot day. It's mostly a soft floral, and the notes I detect are blossoms of citrus trees,(lemon and orange), white ginger, and aromas of the sharp, bright juices of lemon and orange fruit. Purple Water has a note of the purest, most true-to-life Lemon Blossom that I've encountered thus far in a fragrance. My dwarf lemon tree happens to be in bloom today, so I sniffed it to make sure the comparison isn't just wishful thinking. (It's not). Jacaranda flowers are a vivid lilac purple. They grow everywhere around here, and their scent carried on a breeze is zesty and linen-like. I haven't yet stuck my nose into a blossom, so this scent association may be inaccurate. The jacarandas aren't in bloom yet, or I'd have climbed up one today to smell the flowers. Purple Water is extremely clean; neither sweet nor sour. I've worn it all day and it still smells fresh and outdoorsy. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable, but this fragrance isn't complex enough, or unusual enough, to seduce me into spending $75.00 on a 1.7 oz. edt.

zenpiper's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I like it, but do not find it strong at all. Maybe the stuff I bought on eBay was watered down. Anyhow it's very light, pleasant and slightly elusive. Elegant without being stuffy. I'm impressed.

purplebird7's avatar

Sahara by Madini

Enchanting fragrance. Gorgeous on the skin. A mixture of myrrh, amber, and citron. The resin is smooth and woody, the amber is sweet, and the citron is mellow. This is an all-natural "vanilla" type Oriental, pure parfum in an oil base without any alcohol. It is every bit as enjoyable as Shalimar and Samsara--both of which I love. I would be tempted to list benzoin as an ingredient, also because of the sweet, diffusive nature of the base. I even suspect a hint of florals, some interesting, non-sweet flower. (The lists of ingredients on the Madini website for these fragrances appear suspicously truncated--as if the makers purposely wish to keep the formulas secret. Therefore, I want people to know, the fragrances smell more complex than they look.)

This is listed as a masculine fragrance on the Madini website, but it is also perfect for women. If you enjoy Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, you will enjoy this and have a much easier time wearing it, because it is less spicy and showy. I am completely impressed by Sahara and will order a large bottle.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Angélique Encens by Creed

Rather weird... It fells "vintage", yet it has a sweet, powdery, even plasticky vanilla note that feels very contemporary to me. The combination is truly original, I haven't smelled any perfume like it. But is it any good? To my nose, it smells quite cheap, like a cheap perfume oil. It's the vanilla that does it. Loads of vanilla over a dry, woody incense base. In the drydown I get a hint of white floral and the slightest whiff of animalic notes. Worthy of Marlene Dietrich? Hardly! Perhaps in some role where she's disguised as blond angel with a heart of gold in white furs...

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Never been into incense smells but this one:
    mmmmmmm
    lovely mixed of refreshing zesty lilies and light incenseeee...
    i just cannot smell it on my skin.
    Thank you very mucg Gerard for that sample!!!

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This fragrance is quite unique, I´m delightful. Different, deep yet fresh.
    Fantastic union betwwen mimosa (silktree flower and porto wine), plus gaiac wood.
    One of the best flowery/woody fragrance for men I ever smell.
    :):)

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

Quiet pleasant, tuberose mixed with leather,dust,sweat and strange serum skin note. Very manly!

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

what a fab fragrance!!!!.
    Its dark, incisive yet cold: iced smoky woody leather in a wet cold cave with smelly musky stones.
    Great!
    Incense,iris give the down to eath vibe and the leather + cistus wppears dark smoky dirty, the adhelydes comfort the piece with a fresh icy twist...

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

Sharp pine with dry spicy notes, dried out petal roses ans all; vintage. Reminds me like those scented dry poupurry, that ones that my granny used to put on the lounge near the ashtray so many years ago. argh!

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Fake, insincere:
    reminiscent of a shemale, sinthetyc wigs, cheap makeup, vynil, lipstick, clean white skin exuding pheromones when making love in a motel. Poliester, lamé, a glass of cava, plastic accesories.
    Hard to tell but very easy to remember.
    All this is about Real Blonde.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

Reminds me the Guerrilla 2 CDg in a smoky way with the add of the jasmin.
    Sinthetyc in a fab way, clean:
    jasmin,cold jasmin surronded of industrial smoke.
    Agreeing gerald the smoke note is more like unsmoked liht cigarretes. The curcuma is prominent giving a sweet like chewing gum twist. Delicious. Worth a blind buy.
    Extremely suitable for male/female.

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

If you already tried Fleur du male and you got dissapointed beacuse of the powdery drydown, and you´re seeking for a Neroli fragrance, check out this one:
    Very balsamic herbal and plenty of petitgrain, but in a medicinal way.
    Nice drydown. Complex, obscure, balsamic, excellent sillage. In the same way of L'eau Bleue, odd but very appealing!.
    Worth a try :)

deeablow's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Cristaux d'Agrumes by Guerlain

Not bad at all!
    A citrusy version of L'Instant EDT I would say.

It seems it has lost some depth compared to regular Instant though.

kozulich's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Its fleeting, its sharp, its dated, its the fragrance of my 93 year old German grandmother shortly before she passed. But thats not all bad. It was pretty good while it lasted (on her anyway).
    Oma, being a classy lady, preferred the Farina original when she lived in Germany, but when she couldn't easily find that in the US, she switched to 4711 as the next best thing.
    I know its technically unisex, but I believe just barely so. I do know masculine men who use it, but to me the associations are too feminine.

kksb_42's avatar

Geisha Rouge by Aroma M

This was an interesting scent, at first it started with the exact scent of tiger balm. It mellowed a little within a few minutes, losing the medicinal scent, but while the combination of licorice and spices is interesting and a not unpleasant smell, it's quite definitely not something that I want to smell like.

nohay's avatar

Israel Israel

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

It's probably me, and it concerns both YSL and Chanel fragrance. At first they smells quite unique, makes you want to dig in to them, but when you do, well, there's nothing there. And where that horrible synthetic feeling comes from?
    To be exact, I wouldn't find them terrible, if only I could get rid of that (sorry for being obscure) "sense of lack". Otherwise they would be really nice perfumes, but then again, nothing special.

evilpeony's avatar

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

wet... wet...wet... melancholic rain-drenched verdant leaves amidst straw strewn intermittently across the damp soil... the cusp of a white flower filled with rain, its stamen laden with water and pollen... this is en passant for me. evocative. unforgettable.

Cinnamom's avatar

Arden Men - Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden

This is a fragrance that I've always loved to smell on a guy. Interestingly, it always reminded me of a freshly-opened bar of Neutrogena soap . . . not in a 'soapy' way, but that clean, healthy aroma that always made me want to help them hurry up and get a little dirty! I've purchased a bottle recently, but, as with a couple of other discontinued fragrances I've bought, it had that 'off' smell. The nuances are not there. I do wish they'd bring it back. Sigh.

mdiegor's avatar

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

One of the best from CK and one of my favorites ever, too bad that is more difficult to find nowadays. I was looking for another bottle after 1 year and I couldn't find it in Dillards nor Macys. The bright side is that I finally got it last weekend for $30 at a Walgreen's.

As in the past I got many compliments on monday.