Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

If I had to choose one fragrance for the rest of my life, it definitely would be Eternity.

Women just love it, and I never get tired of this.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

It was given to me as a gift and I thought it would smell ridiculous on me (I'm 28). Incredibly I got compliments...if it wasn't because it's what most teenagers wear, this would be among my favorites.

Voyage by Nautica

I like light scents, specially on spring/summer, but this is extremely light.

Not bad but you're no missing anything extraordinary or innovative.

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

I found this scent supremely repugnant, a combination of bug spray and urinal cake. One spray will last and last, but in this case that's not a good thing.

La Base for Him by Magic Helvetia

I liked this scent in theory--generally I tend toward natural woodsy / earthy smells--but in practice it was harsh and synthetic smelling. I was surprised to hear that it is one of the more popular men's frags at luckyscent.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I came to Gucci Pour Homme II expecting something a little sweeter than Gucci Pour Homme I, but this was not the case. The new manifestation is really a different breed, one that, for me, contains none of the intoxicating distinctions of its predecessor. Overall, it the sweet and powdery notes were too strong.

I am curious to see how others respond. For me it was a disappointment, but then again my expectations were high.

Chamade pour Homme by Guerlain

recently relaunched in Paris, in the same collection as Derby
    it's worth trying it
    maybe a little bit too 80's fashioned but magistrally crafted

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

simply perfect cologne
    fresh and light but with some persistent notes (rosemary and bay-tree?)
    an ideal fragrance for "no-fragrance days" and hot summer days

Vetiver by Guerlain

the formula was obviously modified
    but what made this fragrance so unique is still perceptible in an attenuated way...even with this change Vetiver remains IMO the greatest masculine fragrance I've ever smelled; a rough unsweet fragrance, perfect in any situation, complex and rich...the fragrance that I'll wear all life long

Panoen's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Lime shaving cream.

Period.

tessera's avatar

Kiss Her by KISS

Appletini, fig leaves, red peppercorn, red poppy, black orchid, frangipani, calla lily, amber, musk, leather, mahogany are the notes advertised.

What it smells like is a slightly watery "mall" scent. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but it hasn't much character beyond that pleasant, rather generic perfume d'jour fragrance. I'd wear this if it was given to me as a gift, but would rather spend my money on a more unique, evocative classic or something equal to that.

tessera's avatar

Kiss Him by KISS

Maybe this needs to be on male skin to smell good. I smelled it on the sample card in the store and the sales girls agreed with me that it's sort of awful. It starts strong and nicely spicy, but fades down to what we could only describe as 'sweaty fat biker guy.' I had to hit the coffee beans to clear it out of my nose. KISS her is, contratily, okay though fairly generic.

winterlove's avatar

Rubylips by Salvador Dali

I bought this, without sniffing it first (silly) cause I am addicted to any perfume that comes under the 'mossy woods' category. I don't think it is as bad as the other review suggests - although i find the fragrance exhibits a little too much pactchouli, which overpowers the berry and wild orchid notes in the perfume. I found this one to be a little disappointing.

Note to self - wear fragrances before buying them. However, purple lips smelled divine I think I might have to get a small bottle...

alphaman39's avatar

Crisp Lime by Avon

This one was far from outstanding...just a typical mass-marketed cheap cologne. However, it was NICE. Clean smelling, with just a light lime fragrance and a slight leather undertone if my memory serves me correctly. It was cheap, but pleasant, and was the first cologne I ever bought myself as a teenager.

Zosia's avatar

Tendre Poison by Christian Dior

Had this one. Was attracted to the beautiful green bottle. Thought it would be a 'green' scent. Disliked it so much I threw it out. Nauseatingly strong. Smelled like Raid Bug killer. Such a disappointment from Dior.

14 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2012)

ComDiva's avatar

Rose Barbare by Guerlain

Another one of the new Guerlains, from the "L'Art et la Matiere" line, where different perfumers create a scent based around a "raw material." Rose Barbare is ottoman rose, with honey-chypre notes. Now, I love rose notes in fragrances, but rose-dominated scents generally don't float my boat. Rose Barbare, however, is really lovely -- and despite not having that sharp/sour start that I often associate with the Guerlainade on my skin, it still smells like a "true" Guerlain to me. The roses in Rose Barbare are lush bushes of wild roses, probably growing in rocky soil or even sand. And somehow the dark green/woody, elegant chypre base seems natural, even though I can't say how that could work on sand. Rose Barbare stays very close to the skin, and lasts for several hours but not longer. Very nice, though I don't think I need to own it. Yet.

F_Frez's avatar

Miracle Forever by Lancôme

Tested on paper when passing in front of a department store. It hasn't any similar note with original Miracle, it's a strong fragrance with a good staying power.

Spicy anise notes at the top with some berries, then some flowers appears at middle notes... but ones with a very dense aroma and, according to the salesman who gave me the sprayed paper, a note of almond tree flowers. As base notes: vanilla, cedarwood, ambar and incense. The 3 stages of notes are covered by a gourmand like sensation. It hasn't fresh notes.

Reading past reviews about it, there's a resemblance at base notes with Allure Sensuelle mixed with Angel's caramel. It isn't a daytime or summer fresh fragrance... instead it's very nocturnal (and romantic by the way, due to the gourmand like notes) and more suitable for fall and winter, for office it should be a little disturbing. As I tend to associate fresh notes with younger women, it gives me an idea of a fragrance for 35 or older.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Rococo Homme by Joop!

Joop Rococo for Men is a real sleeper of a fragrance. I've worn it the past seven days straight and it's compelled me to post this postive review.

Initially when I bought it, I thought it was not really my type, but it really grew on me. Here's what sold me on it and made me give it another look--once, I was in an elevator and I had just applied Rococo. When the door closed, this strange girl leaned in and sniffed me. Then she kind of went limp and just collapsed into my arms (I think she had been drinking). She remained there with her head on my shoulder until my floor came and I had to leave. A pretty nice moment we had. No words really, just a brief encounter.

So that got me thinking more about Rococo, and how much I like it. It does ginger notes really nicely--in fact it kind of reminds me of red fruit punch and ginger cookies. It's well balanced, seductive, and offbeat. Kind of makes me think of something a friend from Europe would be wearing. It's just slightly quirky enough to be mysterious. Complete antithesis to the hordes of Aqua di Gio type scents. This scent works anywhere, and would be a really good first-date scent, as it is well rounded and yet still has that air of mystery.

The bottle is cool as hell too!

15 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2008)

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

1881 by Cerruti

One of the most discreet yet distinguished citrus chypres to ever have been created. It shares the same league with Grey Flannel, Eau Sauvage, Armani pour homme, Chanel pour Monsieur or Roberto Capucci and has some notes in common with all of these scents too- it's the essence of the timlessly elegant scent, fit for the privileged yet never tasteless or showy gentleman. It embodies the true definition of solid, flawless class. Clean-cut cirus, herbal and aromatic opening, woody and chypre drydown. Starts of very delicately yet still masculine in a distinguished way, but developes a great, yet never brutal or choking lasting power ( unlike the more sensual, potent, carnal Amber version, whih, much more than this one, is easily overapplied if not handled with care and moderation). Personally, i like both the bottle and the name, as both stand, in my opinion, for indestructible conservative values, the rugged, energetic yet stylish puristic simplicity of the bottle being an example of how a true high-end masculine scent should be marketed. The drydown is close to sheer perfection, as it is summing up many of the sensory delights of a Mediterranean surrounding if a few notes- the marine, the mossy touches, moderate floral hints, the antiseptic piney touch, the both relaxing and invigorating touches of aromatic herbs, all of them leading to a very elaborate, but also wearable and fully functional, while still being luxurious and elitist creation which is timeless enough to smell natural and gentlemanly enough to have been made in 1881(and not in 1990) but with the security that, like the most solid investment, will never be dated, not even in our contemporary neoliberal postmodern brave new world, from who's mainly so uninspired, nondescript post-structural scents this one definately stands out.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Rebel for Men by James Dean

An ok scent and not too common either, with very little missing for a positive ratting. Tough i expected this to be yet another mass-market celebrity scent with high profit ambition and disregard for the customer, it smelled less commercial than i expected. The opening is fresh, almost aquatic, slightly ozonic, the drydown is, almost inadvertently, dark, leathery, woody. The only question remains- what does this scent have in common with James Dean? Apperantly nothing, but actually, while the opening smells like a teen idol, yet not in a girlyu or androginous way, the closing is very manly, powerhouse-style elegant, conservatively mature. This is maybe the fusion between the innocently good-looking, almost serene, yothful James Dean and his darker, leather- clad, even sporty( but an exclusive, extreme, not reguklar or pointless body cult kind of sport)ego, tough there's nothing rebellious in this scent's notes.

nefrino's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I have just received a sample of this and have to admit that i am a bit dissapointed. Fron now on, no more blind impulse purchases on Creed fragrances anymore.

This one opens with a freshness, but not the typical freshnes of citrus like in previous Creed colognes; it is slightly sapped with Coconut.

As it progresses, gone is the freshness and light sweetness and powderiness sets it but without typical Creed aqua signature. It doesn't change very much even much later on.

On thing about it, aside from not being very well suited for a man, is the effects it can have on you. It can put you in a good mood or make you slightly randy if you know what i mean. Thats probably due to aprodisiac effects of high quality ylang-ylang and musk.

Overall, this smell s like a glucose shot to me. It is sweet, not suitable to summers and without sublime distinction; it is very light and mild though.

What has happened to Creed quality? Here is what....Creed has stared to mass produce now; became too market oriented....gone are quality days when someone that is actually talented spends several years creating a single masterpiece. Creeds do not have talent....but only quality ingriendiends and family secrets of the trade due to long tradition and thats why there is no real flare to them. On the other hand, if you like a Creed cologne it is kind of hard to get sick of it. Some of them take some time to figure them out completely.

Now his son Edwin, from Italian mother, will ruin Creed already modest talent. Italians were never genetically capable of producing sublime quality of perfume like French can do. He just doesn't have it; he thinks that any change to set standards is always good plus he just doesn't have the "gift" like in the movie "Perfumer" with Dustin Hoffman.

Don't buy this....rather wait it out until he comes with yet another flop. But you never know...

Silver Cristal Men by Amouage

I agree with IPaidForThisName - this is the heaviest and roughest Amouage, and therefore, I would say, the best. I can't take Gold or Dia, as they smell to way too feminine to me. Silver is ok, but Silver Cristal cranks the animalic note way up and has a heavier and more complex base. It also has great staying power and sillage.

Aramis by Aramis

A classic deserving of respect. Manly and in-your-face. Very non-PC. I keep at least a small 1oz bottle in the wardrobe at all times. I've never heard a female say anything bad about it - though it does get plenty of compliments. Smells like a cologne should. One of the few to ever be mentioned by name in a motion picture - see "Black and White" for a hilarious Aramis mention.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I picked up a bottle of this based on several Basenotes reviews and must say that it's not bad at all. Comes very cheap at the drugstore and has a real presence. Sort of an "in-between- drugstore-and-department-store" scent. I definitely get the anise note quite loudly, and the drydown is subtle, yet "thick", with good sillage and longevity. Perhaps not on the same level of sophistication as some of the scents that it's similar to like Tuscany, Boss Number One, or A&F Woods, but better than most scents in its market niche.

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Very "80's"? Definitely. In fact, it's the signature scent of a friend of mine who is sort of stuck in that decade. It's also excellent stuff - I picked up a 3.4oz bottle for $20 at a drugstore recently based upon the pleasing sillage and don't regret it a bit. If you like scents like Azzaro PH, you should really like this one which is a bit more luxurious.

Façonnable Stripe by Façonnable

Got this as a gift recently and quite like it. Supposedly it has something to do with Façonnable getting in touch with their roots on the French Riviera, so I can see where they are going with some of the aquatic notes here. Nothing especially spectacular, yet nice for daytime and office wear. There's a sort of saltiness in there that reminds me of the more "high-seas" marine scents like Erolfa and Vintage Yachting Co., but this time around it's in more of a contemporary young-ish base that's slightly musky at the same time. Fresh, spicy and woodsy? Yep. I can see all of those, too.

shadowlt's avatar

JHL by Aramis

Mom is that you? This is "Cinnibar" by Estee Lauder. It was obviously discontinued because most men do not wish to smell like their mother.

Tovah's avatar

L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'été en douce is shockingly, perfectly beautiful. If I could make the perfume of my happiest summer memories, it would smell like this. L'été 's most striking note is linden, which crowns a blend of heady orange blossoms and freshly cut green grass. I know it's melodramatic, but this fragrance makes me hear birds singing and bees buzzing in still, warm summer air. L'été en douce is quite similar to my beloved D'Humeur Réveuse (Lazy Mood from the Sautes d'Humeur coffret). Also, it has the unique linden note of the beautiful D'Orsay Tilleul, with elements of limpid air and lush land. The lasting power is fabulous. Its scent becomes a part of my chemistry and radiates for hours and hours. This tenacity is surprising in a scent that comes across as soft and relaxed. L'ete en douce is one of Olivia Giacobetti's masterpiece fragrances; it does justice to the beautiful smells in nature.

15 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Dior Addict Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

Why oh why did I ever stray from my beloved original? This Eau Fraiche version is an abomination of Christian Dior's Addict masterpiece! Throwing in some random gardenia note and cutting away the vanilla blows the whole balance and leaves me running to the nearest sink to scrub this mess away. It actually stinks.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I'm surprised a scent with ingredients like vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood can be this faint and weak. It starts out freshly citrusy/gingery/watery, with just a hint of warmness and richness from the tobacco, patchouli and sandalwood. Then it fades extremely fast. Perhaps it would work as a generous splash to refresh yourself with on hot days? I do like the ginger note, and the scent overall is not at all unpleasant, it's just so very unspectacular. I guess you could get pretty much any cheap refreshing cologne as a replacement.