Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I'm surprised a scent with ingredients like vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood can be this faint and weak. It starts out freshly citrusy/gingery/watery, with just a hint of warmness and richness from the tobacco, patchouli and sandalwood. Then it fades extremely fast. Perhaps it would work as a generous splash to refresh yourself with on hot days? I do like the ginger note, and the scent overall is not at all unpleasant, it's just so very unspectacular. I guess you could get pretty much any cheap refreshing cologne as a replacement.

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Raw!, powerfukl. I never smelled nothing in my skin as pure as that, in my life!.
    Raw leather like those accesories you can buy in Marrakech markets.
    Pure raw leather skin non treated.
    Cedar, not fresh :is burnt, burnt cedar,smoky, dark, wild.
    Sometimes the aura becames rubbery beacuse of the reaction of the vanilla when misex with the other two notes.
    what a simple minimal outstading perfume.
    thumbs up to the designer!!!! A masterpiece.

whatawprld's avatar
    whatawprld

Biche Dans l'Absinthe by Gobin Daudé

Hey, I love cumin. Kingdom, Femme, love love love cumin. Sadly, this smells like chicken soup: pepper, old cumin dust, something green and dry like thyme, more pepper. Smells like you were cooking, practicing voodoo, and pruning bushes all while wearing the same sweaty burlap sack. If you just want to smell weird, go for it.

Suave's avatar
    Suave
    Malaysia Malaysia

Armand Basi in Blue by Armand Basi

Fresh, sour and citrusy. But having said that, the Glade air freshener is fresh, sour and citrusy too. I wouldn't reccomend paying good money for this.

paul's avatar
    paul

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This love it or hate it stuff. I hate it.

moonlight_flower's avatar
    moonlight_flower

Skin by Trussardi

This fragrance smells amazing on my skin. A lot of scents don't work with my body chemistry but this one is fantastic. It starts out a light, slightly sweet fruity floral, then gradually becomes more floral with a very slight tinge of fruit. Finally the cedar starts to come through but it never overpowers the other notes & you're left with a very beautiful but light floral/slightly fruity wood base. Perfect for summer & humid weather!

winterlove's avatar
    winterlove

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

This one is too sweet for me - it had a sickly kinda cotton candy thing going. I was just waiting for the fragrance to mellow out on me but it didn't happen. My mother owns a bottle of this so I will try it again in winter and see if I like it better then. Its heavy sweetness might suit the winter months better.

Habanita by Molinard

Also wearable by men (it was originally designed for them), but be extremely light when you spray it or you will smell too much like a drag queen ! Guerlain has been EXTREMELY influenced by Habanita when he created 'Habit Rouge for men' in the 60's; it's similar but in a different way I'd say... maybe 'cose the fragrance is lighter).

Ambre by Molinard

A real success : easy to wear even during summers. If you like amber, do not hesitate, it's a must have !

Un Air d'Habanita by Molinard

Nice for women... definitely commercial : ylang-ylang, jasmine... Absolutely unwearable for men at the opposite of "Habanita" originally designed for men...

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

Waouu ! Such a USO (unidentified smelling object)! Love it : absolutely medicinal and addictive ! I'm in love with this brand I recently discovered : it is so far away from conventionnal fragrances you usually buy in Europe (Dior, Channel...). If you like USOs and sea scented perfumes, try out "Rem" from Reminiscence...

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

If you like Habit Rouge, you will certainly LOVE "Habanita " from Molinard ! In the 60's, Jean-Paul Guerlain created Habit Rouge, being EXTREMELY influenced by Habanita. The main differences : Habanita (nowadays marketed for women, but originally unisex fragrance) is stronger, much more radical and complex than HR. It is also said to be one of the most powerfull and long lasting known perfumes (it is incredible how it stays on your skin !!!Soooooo economic !). To my mind, and nose, I only now buy Habanita from Molinard ! Should you buy Habanita, be extremely light when you spray (!) or you will smell like a drag queen (so much concentrated than Habit Rouge !). By chance, if you visit France,Nice, go at the Molinard boutique to get a cheaper price : I recently bought a 10 oz (300ml)Habanita bottle for only 74 euros !Waooo : 2 years of fragrance in front of me !!!

Madigral by Molinard

Nice but "soooooo" old scool... Women fragrances at Molinard's are so much interesting.... Try "Ambre" or or "Habanita" (be light when you spray) which are unisex !

Rafale by Molinard

Nice but "soooooo" old scool... Women fragrances at Molinard's are so much interesting.... Try "Ambre" or or "Habanita" (be light when you spray) which are unisex.

Teck by Molinard

Nice but so old scool ! Women fragrances are so much interesting at Molinard ! BUT , if you do like Teck, you still can order it at : www.molinard.com. OR, if you go on vacations in France, Nice, just go at the Molinard boutique to get an incredible discount : I recently bought a 10 oz (300 ml) Habanita bottle for only 74 euros !!!

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

If you love gothic experiences, you will also like "Avignon" by Comme des Garcons !!

Ile d'Amour by Fragonard

Also wearable by men... A kind of Givenchy "Insensé Ultramarine", but in a different way...

Jammin by Réminiscence

This perfume is in fact unisex... Smells a lot like majijuanna. Not one of my favourite ones, but nice...

15 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 25 June, 2008)

Patchouli by Réminiscence

Exists in 2 versions : woman or man; the second one is exactly the same fragrance as the 1st version but in a lighter way. So, for the same price, you'd better buy the woman one (which is a bit like an eau de parfum) ! If you like sweet but strong patchouli, this one has definitely no rival...

Patchouli Homme by Réminiscence

Exactly the same fragrance as the woman version but in a lighter way. So, for the same price, you'd better buy the woman one (which is a bit like an eau de parfum) ! If you like sweet but strong patchouli, this one has definitely no rival...

Rem by Réminiscence

Hi ! I'm definitely in love with 2 perfumes fromp Reminiscence : Patchouli (men & women versions are the same fragrance in 2 different concentrations) and REM !
    Talking about REM, which is a "sea scented" mediterranean perfume", (there are men and women versions; the masculine juice is exactly the same as the other one but in a lighter version; so, for the same price, you'd better buy the women version !!!) : imagine the soft smell of your tanned and salted skin after an entire day spent on a sunny beach. Imagine sand, sea, wind, tanning cream and refreshments, and you will (may) get quite the picture ! One of those rare and incredible moments ! One of those rare perfumes you will hardly smell !! Top notes : bergamot, cyclamen, notes of oceanic ozone. Heart Notes : honeysuckle, geranium, palmarosa. Base notes : musk, vanilla, coconut, patchouli, mysore sandalwood, tonka bean.
    Rem is not another Acqua di Gio clone ! It is absolutly different and UNIQUE! it is not a perfume : it is an "anti perfume" : every one will ask you about this beautifull smell, but no one will be able to recognise one of those ingredients 'cause wou will smell "summer" ! http://www.reminiscence.fr/flash.html

Bytebuster's avatar
    Bytebuster
    Turkey Turkey

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I can remember it just like today: it was March of 1981 I was 14 and buying my first cologne. Before that I had used Paco Rabanne which I have received from my parents, but this was going to be my own choice. At that I was lucky because the city where we were living had an American air force base so we had to chance to by an American cologne which was hard to find in Europe. I have to say that I had and I still have a very good nose. I was good at remebering the names of scents after smelling them once. I have been to special cosmetic shop where they had a lots of colognes. The guy showed me a lot of colognes, but most of them I already knew. The one that impressed me was Azzaro. I was already done, but I wanted to know how it would smell after acertain time. So I sprayed some on my wrist and went for a walk. I liked it very much and bought it the next day. One of the things that I can remeber is that the girls at school and in the neighbourhood were fond of this cologne. They used to come around me a smell me and go crazy. Wanted to know the name of it and most of them told it to their fathers or bought as a present to them or to their brothers. being as a scentiac I have lots of colognes and I still use and love this one. But I don't know what it is: now it smells a bit different to me than it did before. Is it because I was young at that time and had different feelings, does it have something to do with age or is there something changed with the scents. I still buy and use scents that I had to use before but some of them don't smell like they did before, or I don;t get the same feeling I got before. Who knows.

Bytebuster's avatar
    Bytebuster
    Turkey Turkey

Boss Spirit by Hugo Boss

I'm agree with Jon Remy. It is a shame that some good fragrances are not made anymore which has the spirit, but they keep on going with the watery ones like Aqua. I got this fragrance way before it was imported in my country and everyone was asking me the name of it and you could notice the effect of it on the women they get the scent. Even in the public places some women couldn't resist to ask me the barnd of it, but pity that I can not find anymore this fragrance with real spirit. Most of the new fragrances are just like the one day flies, just watery they are being forgotten very soon. I hope I can find an old bottle somewhere around the world.

Dr._Stevie's avatar
    Dr._Stevie

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Let me confess, over the past five years, Creed fragrances have been a mixed bag for me. My absolute favorite frag is "Green Irish Tweed" (GIT. Probably always will. It's a genuine original, deliciously addictive, great by itself, garners many compliments, and layers well with almost any other cologne I own. After GIT, I've been rather underwealmed by the other Creeds, including Imperial and Silver Mountain Water; and Erolfa is just . . . well, weird. Original Vetiver smelled like grass (the kind you mow), and Original Santal smelled like Joop. So, when my decant of Virgin Island Water arrived, I was skeptical. But I didn't need to be. This stuff is first class all the way! The Top Citrus Notes include just a hint of mint and coconut, and Creed pulls it off in a major way. Then, it spins some genuine magic as it settles into an earthy-spicy vibe that lingers longer than any Creed I've ever worn. In fact, it's unlike any other Creed, period. I think the Creeds have outdone themselves with this one. Next to GIT, it's the most ORIGINAL and distinctive Creed fragrance I've encountered. And while it's GREAT by itself, it also layers quite well with GIT. On my Creed list, VIW ranks a solid #2, with a bullet!

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Michael Schumacher by Michael Schumacher

This one bears that clean, out of the shower sporty note which i already found in John Player pour Homme ( one of the scents i own), with an almost unisex CK , especially CK-one style quality. The drydown however is much sweeter, but also more masculine, with touches of amber and sandalwood, adding a certain lasting power and a certain energetic finess to this scent.

mentallo's avatar
    mentallo

Blush by Marc Jacobs

Underrated. A very nice romantic scent. Subtle and beautiful. I am very surprised not more people know about this frag. It's a real winner.

themeglet's avatar
    themeglet

Encens Epicé by Il Profumo

I'm trying, really, I am. Il Profumo's web site places Encens Epice in the "oriental, smoky, woody" olfactory family. (Just for the heck of it, and since I have the page open-- EE's "Psychological effect" should "stimulate mental activity, provide serenity and induce to meditation." The Italian description, I'll admit, is somewhat more poetic than the translation...) The point here is that for such a promising (if not eyebrow-raising) description, I'm getting nothing but essence of Glade. More precisely, this is the scent of the waxy air freshener with the push-up plastic cover and gelled substance beneath that turns into hard wax after a month. To my nose, this is sharp and waxy, and should be called "Glade Summer Breeze." The notes of "Glade Summer Breeze": accord de Pine Sol, fabric softener, wax, something burnt (not incense), and possibly lemon. Lovers of this scent, I welcome criticism of my olfactory know-how... but to my nose, this is a "no-no" in profuming. Perfuming.

zoomazooma's avatar
    zoomazooma

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

Smells like Jif or a similar cleaning product to me. Can't imagine wearing this.

Kevin Guyer's avatar
    Kevin Guyer

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The first thing I need to get off my chest, no pun intended, is that I find it interesting that the fragrances created under the directive of ultra-gay Tom Ford are considered "chick magnets". That said, I think his work is brilliant and Rive Gauche is my favorite of all the frags associated with him. His allegiance to 1970's "man scents" filtered through his modern and androgynous take on the modern male makes Rive Gauche shine. A fougeres that has managed to link sex with shaving. Bravo!

neal's avatar
    neal

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Agreed. Ginger belongs with sushi. The ginger does burn off within 30-45 minutes. and then what is left is a very one dimensional tobacco of the 'unsmoked/unroasted', 'green/leafy' variety. Stick with the Vintage.