Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Jorge Luís's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Joop! Homme by Joop!

One more time again.. AS Basenotes says "..."PLEASE DON'T SPRAY YOURSELF IN HALF A BOTTLE OF IT BEFORE YOU GO OUT..." I agree to! This fragence is very exotic! I love joop! I've been using this fragrance from two years now and I can't stop using it. Very nice, cool!

Frank108's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

After Burberry London, I was sure I was going to like Brit, even though the in-store tests were basically negative. To my nose Brit's opening notes are too floral and far too sweet, but it's opening notes are fleeting, so this fragrance is about the drydown, and no in store test adequately reveals the dry down. After about 10 minutes or so, on me Brit smells like baby powder. It sure isn't ny idea of a masculine scent, but I could see were some might like it (it smells cute and comfy), but, if, you do (or she does) like it when you wear baby powder.... save your money, and visit the baby section of the local pharmacists.

ljws's avatar

Balmy Days & Sundays by Ineke

Hey all you green grassy soft clean sweet spring summer scent lovers. I think I've found the ultimate in green. I've been searching for this scent all my life. It is smoother and more complex than the Gap's "Grass", and softer than Gucci's "Envy". It's staying power is not all that incredible, but I love the scent so much that I could really care less about that. You have to give it at least 15 minutes to develop, and I wouldnt say it's a very "Deep" fragrance, but it does have several facets to it - each that I truly adore. It is nice and grassy, and the honeysuckle in it makes is sweet and smooth. their description "Lying Face-up to the sky, dappled light flickering throught the Pale Green of overhead branches" is acurate in my opinion. The top notes are of Freesia, Leafy Greens, Grass. Middle notes are Honeysuckle, Rose, Mimosa, and Base of Chypre Accent and Musk (both soft and smooth). Ineke is a great company with currently 4 Scents on the market. She sells them in this awesome sampler pack for $12 including shipping, which they THEN credit you the $12 when you purchase a full bottle - which cost $78 USD. You have to try this!! Tell them "Lynn from PA" sent you!

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Despite some objections to the flowery character provided by the vanilla, I find this scent intoxicating. Its uniqueness within a class of fragrance that seem all alike really speaks to its character. Really, it comes down to the individual preference, but if you are shopping within this category, this is a no-brainer.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

I purchased this cologne before having discovered this very informative site. Despite the bad reviews, I still would have purchased this fragrance. Some see it as unimaginative, but I thinks its classy.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I smell this at Neiman Marcus and really enjoyed it. The sales associate said, "It's a vacation in a bottle." I would have to agree. Some will find it to generic smelling but i thought it was coconuty and reminiscent of the beach, without being to overwhelming.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Definitely modern but classic, absolutely anti commercial (it almost stinks within 15 minutes untill it warms on your skin), this eau de toilette is completely gorgeous : masculine, woody, spicy and soooooo chic(if you like patchouli) ! A real must have !

Baroque by Fragonard

Just like in a boudoir... Said to turn over very fast...

Capucine by Fragonard

Laurent, you're absolutely right ! I'd just add that it's such a complex fragrance based on opposite sides : it can be either rich and extravagant or as innocent as a baby powder !!

Santal by Fragonard

What a GREAT success !! Fresh but spicy and classical, this fragrance is a must have ! If you visit Nice, France, go at the Fragonard boutique in Eze : take the bus at the central station (2-3 euros), enjoy the trip (beautiful and romantic panoramas over the see), discover the old and high located Eze village, and go to Fragonnard's for cheaper prices : I recently bought a 20.4 oz (600ml) for only 50 euros !!!

Rêve Indien by Fragonard

Delightfull just like an Eden if you love orientals. Also wearable by open-minded men... in the EDT version of course...

16 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2008)

Here's My Heart by Avon

this smells so feminine. I have emailed Avon about bringing back the old fragrances, they are the best.

Unforgettable by Avon

Here's another one that is no longer available. This is soft and powdery. I still have some of this and its really nice. This is good if you dont want your fragrance to enter the room before you do.

Occur! by Avon

The first time I smelled this stuff was around 1962-1963. The bottle was empty, but it still had the aroma. Talk about a good cologne! When you first spray it on, til it settles on your skin, it smells wonderful. This has always been one my favorites, and I have tried alot. You get compliments too. Avon, bring em back.

Bird Of Paradise by Avon

This smells like it was made for men. I dont like this much at all.

Timeless by Avon

I dont pick up the Lemon in this and I am glad. I have loved this for ages too. It smells soft and feminine.

Foxfire by Avon

I have owned this one and it does smell really good.

Imari by Avon

Avon still makes this and I am glad. I dont think its a strong smelling Oriental, and thats probably good for me. I am a floral person. Yeah, this smells really good.

Boucheron by Boucheron

I bought a bottle of this and I did use the whole thing. I liked it but I couldnt smell it after a while. I guess thats why I kept touching up.

Poison by Christian Dior

This is another one that I liked on others, but not on me.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I wore this in the early 70s. It is sweet, but there is something about it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a flowery perfume. Also, I find the Vintage formula doesnt have that light burning smell like the new stuff has. But they tell me it has not been reformulated. So....maybe they can't use the exact ingredients in it like the old days. Didnt they use to use whale blubber??

16 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2009)

Victoria (original) by Victoria's Secret

I dont really know if Rose is in this perfume, but when I would use it, I thought I could smell it.(slightly) I had the spray, lotion, dusting powder, bath gel. Anything they made that I could get my hands on. I thought the bottle was pretty too. I have an empty one, that I will probably always keep.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

My Dad always wore this, and I guess thats why I always have a bottle in my collection. I think it smells wonderful. I didnt realize they had changed the formula.....but I do agree...if you use the same product for years, you get tired of it and some days you cant even smell it anymore. I have had that happen. So, I guess its good to switch for awhile so you can get the smell back. But anyway, I like Old Spice.

Today by Avon

I do like this one. I think it must have a Magnolia smell to it, cause I have been asked if I had on Magnolia when I wear it. It is strong, so I put it on when I need a lasting fragrance.

atdm's avatar

Boss Sport by Hugo Boss

Favorite of all time! Still can't find a replacement since it was discontinued.

fusion's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Love it especially after the first 10 minutes or so this one will always have a spot in my collection. works very well with my chemistry everyone loves this when I have it on especially the women they love to come in close and sniff my neck .

16 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2008)

fusion's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

I really enjoy Touch works very well with my chemistry and the Ladies go crazy everytime i wear it

narcus's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Escada Homme by Escada

There is nothing that this cologne can be criticized for. I simply keep forgetting that it is in my wardrobe. It would be well suited as a safe gift for the conservative man you know little about.
    One could give it the attribute 'classic' which is not always positive. Aside from the beautiful bottle, I consider Escada pour Homme a boring classic!

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Ambre Canelle by Creed

Smells purely like strong, old-fashioned, yellowish soap, which I've learned is because soap is (or was?) often scented with ambergris. A comfort scent, not of the usual gourmandy variety, but because it's evocative of a musty old house, perhaps one inhabited by a distant, elderly relative with interesting stories to tell. If you bathed there as a kid your skin would smell like this, and you would feel not quite clean but more imbued with the mysterious atmosphere of the place...

Andre BH's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

I finally purchased this after smelling it at Barneys/Beverly Hills months ago.

One definitely enters the Far East in this scent. It is subtle, with the smell of just cut wood or perhaps burning wood. It is redolent of a tea house in Japan, bamboo, a rock garden.

Adjectives that come to mind: subtle, dry, woodsy, Asian, foresty, foggy.

Other reviewers have said it doesn't last. But after about six hours yesterday, I still smelled it. It is faint, but definitely present. This is a good thing. I hate colognes which stay on for days and never blend in or disappear.

I really enjoy this and have no regrets about purchasing it.