Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Indiscreet's avatar

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

I wanted to like this, I really did. The bottle is gorgeous and I was so intrigued by the reviews that I felt I needed to try it.
    I tested it twice on tester strips and both times, got lemons. Lemons! Where was the cumin? Where was the raw, earthy, spicy smell of unwashed bodies so many people had commented on?
    I went back today and tested it on my arm. Still lemons. Then, after a few hour, faint, slightly musty lemons.
    I have to say I'm disappointed. I don't understand why I'm not smelling the other notes. Too bad.

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

My husband is a wine writer and my seven year old daughter has inherited from him a deadly accurate nose. When I offered her my wrist without comment, she said, after a couple of thoughtful sniffs, "it smells like a perfumed zoo".

Not sure where that came out of.. but I think this is an extraordinary scent. For me it paints a picture of a garden at the end of the summer, with the sweet/sharp scents of flowers and leaves, sun baked earth and somewhere in the background, the a faint, sweet and not unpleasing smell of compost. I don't have it now but I soon will.

Arvydas's avatar

Azahar by Madini

A sweet, somewhat one dimensional but natural and pleasant Neroli fragrance. Like pure Neroli essential oil, but much less expensive, less heady and it lasts quite a bit longer. Much better sillage than you'd get with the straight essential oil, as well.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Blech. This smelled on me like those little pink balls of soap you can get for your guest bathroom. All I could smell was soap, soap, soap. Too bad...I had high hopes for this one.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

This perfume, like the name, is indeed a "lovely" floral/musk with decent staying power. Unfortunately, it's a little too "nice girl" for me...I prefer something edgier. Try it, though--it's very pretty.

Paul Smith Floral by Paul Smith

Reminds me of a cross between Creed's Spring Flower and Givenchy's Amarige. Floral and fruity, but with no powder or vanilla notes (on me, anyway). Great staying power. The bottle is hideous. Notes include: sweet orange, pink grapefruit, fresh ginger, water lily, white magnolia, orchid, and osmanthus with base notes of wood, amber, musk and tonka bean. I can definately pick up the floral and fruit notes...the woods are subtle enough to add a little depth.

Amberflash's avatar

April Violets by Yardley

Despite being nearly a century old, this scent is not a classic. I doubt the original formulation has changed much. That is to say, it is dated, and seemingly of another era... smelling like something that might have come out of my grandmother's boudoir, and perhaps a wee more "little old lady" than "vintage masterpiece".

That said, though the top notes are overpoweringly sweet parma violet, this is REAL parma violet (Yardley doesn't use synthetic violets which is a rarity these days). And the dry down... the dry down is weirdly addictive. Perhaps it's the iris and musk base notes that begin to swirl in and out of the violet once the first sickly sweetness begins to wear off. Maybe it's the slight old fashioned medicinal/herbal quality the entire composition takes on after a while... but I just couldn't stop smelling my wrists after the first half hour.

I doubt I'd want to go into an interview smelling like this, but I already have taken to giving myself a quick comfort spray whilst reading in bed. The composition is higgelty-piggelty and dated, the initial sweetness way too girlish, but the old dame does have personality! And the fact that I felt compelled to buy a 125ml bottle is testament to either the strangeness of my character or the likeability of this scent once it's been given half the chance to introduce itself.

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Simply wonderful! This fragrance is very popular among the gay scene here in Brazil maybe due to the "candy" smell on it...

It was my last Joop! fragrance to buy, but, curiously, the first one I've ever smelt...

Not a day to day perfume, 'cause it's too potent for the weather here in Brazil, but definitely perfect for a dinner in a fancy restaurant...

SL ADDICT's avatar

France France

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

THIS is a marvel of a scent. If Solal in Albert Cohen's Belle du Seigneur ought to be qualified by a scent, this would be it, just it ...
    Embracing, Enchanting, Enthralling ...
    Serge Lutens not only succeeded in bringing this full of depth masterpiece to life, but also contributed to enchance the fleeting realm of scent and enchain us ( perfume fans ) to his feet.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I agree, this seems to definately be a fall-winter fragrance. I do like it, but it is a heavy fragrance. I use to wear it alot in the early 80's.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I really love this one. Some Mens colognes are so sharp and piney that they make me sick. I think its a softer mens fragrance that you can wear during the day or evening. Well, thats the nice thing about fragrance, on some people its not good, & on others it is. My son always wore this and it mixed well with his chemistry.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I can never smell this enough! I dont wear it so I cant comment in that area. I do smell it, every chance I get. This is good!

fusion's avatar

L'Eau Tonic Homme by Sonia Rykiel

Wow this is by far one of the better fragrances i have i receive so many compliments when i wear this one a very unique scent can't believe this one is not considered a classic i recommend this to everyone

Globe by Rochas

Globe has a primarily green / herbal opening which is blended with citrus, but the citrus isn’t obvious to me—just enough to lighten, sharpen, freshen up the green notes. Every once in a while I catch the unusual fruit note that others have mentioned—a kind of dull sweet-but-sharp note that I don’t know what to make of. I believe that this is the kind of scent that quickly causes olfactory fatigue because it disappears after several minutes, but, if I avoid it for ten minutes, it’s there again. The accord has a heavy aromatic ambiance that seems fresh even though it doesn’t have the generic “fresh” notes I have come to expect. The upshot is that the opening lasts for quite a long time, even though I lose it now and then. I find it an enjoyable experience.

The middle notes have less force and character—thyme (especially) and fir dominate over a smooth floral: It is nice, and it’s quite a bit 80’s because it develops a little bit of that 80’s “cologne” tang—not strong, but there. This stage lasts for a while, too, but it is a little less enjoyable than the top because it is not an especially interesting accord. Actually it’s boring, but the boredom does at least one positive thing—it prepares me for the dry down. The base is mostly non-spectacular, with a tiny bit of “off” thrown in. All things considered, Globe has an attractive opening that has real substance and likeability, but from there it goes in unimpressive directions. It’s not a bad scent at all, but there are so many better.

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

I just can’t get excited about most of these 90’s fragrances—there are so many of them, and all too many seem to be copycats of each other. I must have written this same review a couple of dozen times for a couple dozen fragrances: A green opening that is interesting, but still it is basically one of the conglomerate accords that has a synthetic echo to it—Image has less of an echo than most. About the only thing I can separate out and identify in the opening accord is a coniferous / mint accord. It’s nice. The middle level is more or less the same as the opening accord except that it is weaker and less sweet—it is still dominated by undifferentiated accords and it also has a synthetic tang to it. The dry down is quite a bit too soft—I get some woods and musk in the drydown. It’s the same kind of dry down as the others have. As far as the degree of synthetic-ness that Cerruti Image has, it’s not too bad. There are many worse. Damning with faint praise.

Genie du Bois by Keiko Mecheri

Sorry, I can’t handle this one—it certainly is not for me. It’s my personal aberration, but there is too much of a violet leaf note in Genie des Bois. To my nose, this one gets close to repulsion. No thank you.

Fleur d'Oranger by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a hauntingly beautiful representation of the orange orchard in bloom. Most everything is there—the blossoms, the leaves, the trees themselves—orange totality, with a touch of almond, beeswax, and petit grain. Just as a fragrance like this should be, L’Artisan’s Fleur d’Oranger is beautifully linear—why in the world would anyone want movement and change in such a beautiful accord? Don’t mess with perfection. The fragrance is wonderfully feminine, it’s ethereal, and it’s awesome.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Perry Ellis for Women (original) by Perry Ellis

It's happened again!! I can't believe this has been discontinued. It is, or was, by FAR the BEST of ALL the Perry Ellis women's fragrances. Very floral with a hint of musk with an underlying woodsy note. Why do companies discontinue their very first namesake fragrances? I don't understand it. Perhaps new personnel have come into the company and decided to give the company "new appeal" by discontinuing the "old" and introducing the "new." Well, to be honest, the "new" fragrances leave a LOT to be desired, whereas the "old" fragrances have character and at least last on the skin for more than 3 minutes!! I am appalled that Perry Ellis for Women has been discontinued. All I can say is what fools and how inconsiderate to those long-time admirers of this fragrance. It's not about the customer anymore, it's about $$$ for the CEO's pocket!

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

That's what i call distinction, sumptous and untypical. ( Over-) long lasting power and a stunning variety of deep, truly classy and high quality fragrance notes. The perfect choice- tough it's almost needless to mention- for the truly distinguished evening fragrance.

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

I don't like this one as much as the yellow version. While the latter is one of the most equisite citrus- herbal scents i know, exhaling the very essence of unquestionable style, this one is just clean-cut, almost aquatic fresh, but was defintaly topped by its follower. I would expect- but maybe its just a bias encouraged by conventional ( fragrance) wisdom- even a "fresh", "crispy clean" British scent to be much more classically and less casually smelling.

Javari by Body Shop

While definately not an exclusive niche scent, it has all the qualities of a wearable and affordable Oriental with an extra plus of spice, which, considering the price, is surprsingly natural and good quality. More than enough lasting power too, so in this case it's just the mix, a little too different from my perfume tastes ( which wouldn't be in Javari's defense irrespective of price and perfumer, it could be as well by Creed and cost at least 100 $ and still would not impress me more) so i guess it's one or more of the spicy ingredients that works pretty fine, yet not perfect with my skin's chemistry.

Original Santal by Creed

Tough distinguished and natural, smelling expensive and exclusive, it does just not work( maybe due to its refinement) to be worn, enjoyed and understood by many people, including me. Very powerfull and somewhat offputting opening, the spicyness, aromatic quality of this scents being both enthralling and quizzical. To be more precise, a burst of few single soliflore style explosions of juniper berries, cinammon, tonka and, of course, sandalwood, without much balance or connection. The sweetness , due to the sandalwood note, while not being unappealing, is surely uncommon, without being sickly sweet either in Kouros style or in a synthetic post-postmodern androgyny, has both " soft" suede leathery notes, restyled to be lighter, creamier and more gentle, but also an almost sulphurous, phosphorous incense- smelling not just warmt (almost nostril burning) explosive heat, thus making it rather difficult to capture my entire admiration.

99 Regent Street by Hugh Parsons

This scent is very recent only by its strictly chronological lauch year, but it captures, somewhere in the very essence, the very basic idea of its fragrance notes, unseen yet constantly present memories and influences of Brithish traditional Brithish art of fragrance and British old-school distinction. The right scent for a dandy walking up and down the most elegant boulevards of Europe( not just regent street) with no other care than showing his off-beat, extravagant elegance, yet mature, sober and discreet enough for office wear or formal social calls. A dignified but at the same time lavish mix opf refined spices and persistent, well-structured yet inoffensive woods. A very creative use of wonderfully rich and fulfilling fragrance notes, adding to flawless class also notes of applealing yet dingnified courteousness, a certain flair for the intellectual and artistic delights, and a touch of well-bred, elaborate hedonism. As there are a few gourmand Orientals i would define this as one of the first gourmand woody ( or rather artistic, gourmet, niche, even ultra-luxury woody fragrances), and while other scents are often listed and percieved as powerhouse, this one is defintely art-house.

White Jeans by Versace

Am I the only person who thinks this perfume is reminescent of sauna wood? I bought a sample for my mother and thought nothing of it on the sample card until I came to visit and my nose was suddenly aware of this sensual, creamy sauna wood smell wafting from the vicinity of my mom (our tastes are different, she loves those giorgio beverly hills, anais anais smells that I just dont get). Very impressive for Versace. I think Versace has not made much money on their perfumes because a lot of them are ordinary and some are just plain bad. From what I have heard they are discontinuing most of their perfumes and waiting for awhile before releasing a new perfume. That is all heresay though, I was told by a perfume store assistant...

Rush for Men by Gucci

This for me is a sexy perfume. It smells of the sweetest sweat on a man once it starts working with his body chemistry (provided his body chemistry works with the scent). In my opinion this is a masculine scent for a man who has strength, sex appeal and a bit of attitude. On a metro, weedy or girly guy it doesnt seem to work.

Touch of Pink by Lacoste

I find the florals in this perfume a bit too heady for my tastes. My perfumes seem to always have a citrus top note with some vanilla lurking around so perhaps that's what persuaded me apart from the fact that this perfume cost around $25 for 50mL. Although it's not something I love to death or favour over my others, it is tolerable, pleasant and has alright lasting power and no odd suprises - a frequent traveller in my handbag. Funnily enough my boyfriend absolutely loves this fragrance on me and I have received quite a few compliments on it.

rach2jlc's avatar

Sport Jil Sander for Men by Jil Sander

I've been a fan of Jil Sander's menswear since the first collections in the late 1990's, so I always eagerly test her fragrances hoping that they'll be as good as her fashion. So far, they've all been disappointments, from Man, Pure Man, Feeling Man, all the way to Sun Man. Sport Man is unfortunately no different; while the packaging is very Jil (clean, simple, ultra-modern) the juice is the same sort of boring, fresh, aquatic, sporty garbage that can be had from any 2 dozen designers or 5 dozen drug store fragrances on the market. It's not a BAD scent, just completely lacks any backbone or innovation to set it apart from the herd. Not worthy of the name on the bottle.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

The first thing that hits me spraying this cheap edt is something metallic. It's like drinking soda out of a rusty old can. That note only vanishes after about 12 hours. The drydown after that is quite good: rich and a bit boozey. Last week I hit a handkerchief with three shots of Classic and three days afterwards sticking my nose in that hanky is great! Classic works for me provided I spray it no higher than the stomach or arms...

18th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2009)

Tovah's avatar

Tuberose by Jo Malone

Absolutely stunning tuberose! I love tuberose deeply, so my appreciation of this soliflore is immense. To me, there isn't another fragrance house that captures the true essence of florals as well as Jo Malone. Jo Malone Tuberose smells exactly like sultry, rich, white tuberose flowers. These flowers bloom at night, giving the Tuberose fragrance a signature air of sultry enchantment. I love to wear this Tuberose at any time, in any place. It makes me feel adventurous, intense, and confident that exciting days are coming soon.

Tovah's avatar

Velvet Rope by Apothia

Velvet Rope is interesting. It's not unpleasant, but on me it becomes sickly sweet. At first it smells like a Gin & Tonic that somebody spiked with vanilla liqueur and topped off with a few mint springs. After about an hour it smells like a whiff of cold air when you're skiing while chewing peppermint gum, and wearing cherry chapstick on your lips. Then it smells Juicy-Fruit gummy and musky-sweet, and very slightly powdery. I don't get any tobacco, smoke, or sex from this one. It's a fruity-vanilla musk with an initial unusual note that smells minty. This fragrance is okay, but I get tired of it really quickly on my skin. It loses its initial spark in the way the gum loses its initial flavor, and then just tastes sweet.