Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

markc's avatar

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

This one for me is unusual in that, after three wearings, I'm liking it less each time. First thing to get out of the way is the name, which many newbies get fooled by. As others have mentioned, I would firmly agree if you are looking for a church incense, this is not the one for you. On my skin, I describe it as more of a light floral type, not one you need to worry about being too feminine. Also, smells a bit chalky on drydown. Not bad at all, but I'm glad I didn't spring for a bottle after my first wearing.

omniray's avatar

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

a better version than the original, this one is more complex and rich in the notes, oriented into more spicy but not heavy

.. really nice fragance..

oolong's avatar

Solo Loewe by Loewe

Best suited as a spring fragrance, it is light with fresh and clean notes. Unfortunately I find it dominated by sweet floral notes; much more then I would like. The sweetness would make it oppressive (to me anyway) in really hot weather. While it is listed as a masculine fragrance I would think of it more as a unisex fragrance. My 16 year old daughter tells me it is too feminine for me and I would agree.

Rosie's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I’m on Maui and my skin is lightly tanned, I’ve been scuba diving and laying in the sun most of the day. My body feels well used as if I’ve just had a good workout, muscles slightly sore. I’ll head back to the Spa where I will have a mineral scrub and soak before my massage, after rinsing in tepid water I’ll dry off and splash on my Island Water with complete abandon. I’ll wrap myself in a silk sarong and head out to my balcony that over looks the deep ever changing sea. It’s still quite warm and as a slight breeze caresses me I’m aware of the scent of citrus, all kinds, not the sweet fruit but the rind. After a few minutes lime steps up front, tart and almost masculine then from out of nowhere comes a light hint of fresh coconut. I feel incredibly safe and contented. I’m getting a waft of light soft flowers, a little ginger and then a soft light, slightly musky skin scent with the lime staying in the background.
    I’m sitting here at my computer, it’s grey and drizzly outside but Creeds Virgin Island Water took me on my summer vacation.
    I think this would be great on a man or a woman.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Joop! Go by Joop!

Executive summary: Go! Away!

Rant:
    I happen to be wearing Go! (2007) on my right arm, with Acqua di Genova (1853) on the left and the comparison would turn Pollyanna herself into a cultural pessimist. Not only does it seem that perfumers today are forced to create a new fragrance in three months, they also seem to be kept in dungeons so as to prevent them from making sensory experiences such as smelling an orange or a bouquet of flowers. This is synthetic garbage, subcategory nauseating fruity-sweetness, which you've smelled a thousand times before under a thousand different names. Little boxes made of tick tacky, to quote Pete Seeger.

L'Invisible by Strange Invisible Perfumes

L'Invisible is an oilibanum resin fragrance with candied orange peel and a bit of winey rose. It is quite exotic and good. It is a dense, sweet/sour combination of natural ylang-ylang, orange, lemon, rose, and hibiscus essences on a base of thick, dark resin. There is oak-moss, but it does not stand out distinctly like a chypre. The aroma is not what one would expect from conventional perfumes. These are distilled using water from natural plant materials without the aid of solvents. The technique causes the notes to have a somewhat fermented aroma, as if they have been stewing in the bottle for decades, like a vintage perfume. If you seek a fresh, clean, airy fragrance, steer clear of all Strange Invisible Perfumes. However, if you want to smell something unique and full-bodied, I bet there is something in this line that will intrigue you. This was one of my favorites.

02nd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 22nd April, 2008)

Persica by Strange Invisible Perfumes

An Oriental type of fragrance, made with natural essences distilled without solvents. It has an unusual, dense aroma featuring strange resins, like all of the fragrances in this line. The vanilla steps forward with its comforting identifiable presence along with some sweet cardamom. Lilac and ylang-ylang are supposed to be in here, and they add a certain pungence but not actually a floral influence. This is strangely delicious, and one of my favoritest in the line.

Fair Verona by Strange Invisible Perfumes

This is my favorite of the Strange Invisible Perfumes. Fair Verona is a resin fragrance with lemony jasmine. It features citruses, mimosa, sandalwood, and jasmines. There is a particularly attractive resin in this, and it is well-matched to the citrus. These are natural essences distilled without solvents, so their aroma is different than one would expect. The citrus is not sharp or sour, but rather like candied lemon peel. The jasmine is heavy and creamy. A lovely, highly unusual fragrance.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Knize Ten by Knize

All about the leather. A strong, raw leather, either a really worn old leather or some quite unrefined leather product, definitely not the soft, subtle smell of a pair of new leather gloves. Could be an old armchair or a saddle perhaps.
    Some say turpentine and gasoline and garage and well, I see where that's coming from, but I agree with fraddicted that it's more like Tabac Blond: that sharp, almost metallic note. I love Tabac Blond and I love Knize Ten too, they're such a fine couple. With their old families and money they can afford to be bold and eccentric, they don't have to dress up in boring business suits and shower-fresh cologne... However, if you only like your leather notes very soft and refined you should probably stay away.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Trouble by Boucheron

Wonderful, just adore it! I haven't yet tried Hypnotic Poison or Addict (to which this is often compared), but this is a keeper for me and I will always keep a bottle in my rotation. Overtly sexy in a fresh, modern way.

mikeperez23's avatar

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Applied it and instantly it brought a smile to my face - the pineapple notes are really fruit smell, not sugary fuit notes. The remarkable thing is the pineapple notes seem to float off of my skin, because when I smell my skin close I just can't smell pineapple...maybe on the skin I get vanilla but a REALLY LIGHT vanilla

Layers great with my Eau des Merveilles - smells like a cocktail party on the beach!

Atlanta1's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This comes on strong at first as a feminine floral, but the drydown is noticeably more masculine. I was, admittedly, hesitant to spray this on when taking a whiff of it from the bottle because its top notes are quite feminine-smelling. But, I braved it and gave it a try. Very nice and very unique (to me at least). Later in the evening, I felt more comfortable wearing it because it turned more masculine as it reached its fern accord. Very long lasting....applied it at 6:30pm one evening and I could still detect its satisfying aroma the following morning before the shower. If you're comfortable and self-assured in your masculinity and who you are, you'll have no problem with this new, beautiful and unique fragrance from Gaultier.

paul's avatar

Brut by Fabergé

There seem to be two kinds of review in this section, those about the "new" Brut and those about some different stuff from the sixties.
    The squarish shouldered Brut bottle has come into my possession (you will notice I did not say I paid money for it) It definitely does not contain the same stuff as the 60's and 70's which was way more powerful than this.
    The "real" Brut(e!) is still readily available as Brut Classic for about £3.
    I still don't like either of them.
    You do not however have separate headings for them in the Faberge section.

Durban's avatar

Spain Spain

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Now I get it. I get why this is a really controversial fragance.
    I bought it today, blind buy, just after reading the comments about it. I was looking for a nag champa fragance and decided to give it a chance (I have to say that I can't smell nag champa in it at all)...
    All I can say is that if I had tested it before I wouldn't have buy it. And it would have been a mistake. Why? because I absolutely like this fragance!!! no, wait, I hate it!! no no, I love it!! damit, I think I have strange feelings about this one...
    The top notes are AWFUL, now I understand the comments about urinals and old men's houses. But if you can wait until it settles down, slowly, calmly merging with your skin, you'll get the richest and darkest scent you've smelt in your life. And yet, there are times when even five hours after wearing it, I get an unpleasant feeling I can't explain.
    Give it a try. Try it on your own skin if you can and see what it's like for you. I didn't know how complex the world of scents could be until I got this one.

Durban's avatar

Spain Spain

Solo Loewe by Loewe

I was really looking forward to test this one, as I've always worn Loewe pour Homme (best fragance I've come across so far), and last month I smelt Esencia for the first time and liked it too.
    Today I did.
    And was very dissapointed.
    I mean, it smells good. But reminds me to some mickey mouse fragances I used to wear when I was a kid. I can't smell cinnamon nor nutmeg, lavender nor thyme, mandarin nor bergamont. Smells like watermelon to me in the base.
    Anyway, get this one if you like something soft to wear after a shower but as vadim said, don't think of it as a pour homme or esencia sequel.

Parma's avatar

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

From the classics like Apres L'Ondee, Jicky,Chanel No5, and the powerhouses such as Guerlain and Givenchy, to the superstars like Opium and Obsession and Poison--to Paris Hilton and Britney's "Curious"? Lord help us. Add perfume to the list of items which have been dumbed-down and infantized.

MrCoffee's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Crisp and classy - one of the best scents for the office or when traveling. Awesome, awesome, awesome. The tea note is fabulously played here.

02nd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 08th June, 2008)

rhinoveau's avatar

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I've worn this fragrance regularly for the past four years and I'm still continuously complimented on it. Besides being an AMAZING fragrance(which it is), I love the mystery of it. I have yet to come across anyone else who wears it or has even heard of it on the rare occasion that I disclose the name. A huge plus in my opinion. I do have to agree with MisterK's comment. This scent is definitely for the under thirty crowd, but definitely more mature than say Le Male which I used to wear.

Words's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I see some complaining about the originality and distinctiveness of 212. Well, I'm a "fresh scent" junkie and have yet to come across anything similar to this one. Citrus, fresh cut grass, and pepper done so well.

Like AdG, it's probably disliked more for it's popularity than anything, but make no mistake about it, it really is a quality frag.

02nd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 15th January, 2013)

Words's avatar

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

It's Escada, it's Limited Edition for Summer, and it's called Sunset Heat. And just in case your common sense didnt tell you what to expect at this point, then let me tell you... Fruity! Extremely fruity, like Escada tends to do.

02nd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 12th February, 2013)

omniray's avatar

Solo Loewe by Loewe

one of my new favs. the floral/woody base is awesome mixed with the aquatic notes make it very unique, versatile and really comfortable and not so expenxive..

excellent fragance, longevity no problems.

oolong's avatar

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

A bit synthetic but overall not a bad fragrance. Fresh, clean and not a bad warm weather fragrance. Not something I would go out and buy but if I got it as a gift I would likely use it.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Gentle, intelligent, and luxurious in the extreme... The pure parfum is the way to go here, although, granted, it's very expensive (circa $165 US).

A burst of sweet mandarin and bergamot, followed by seas and oceans ofr tender, sweet, almost fruity violets. All seated upon a bed of earthy, animalic musk, castoreum and civet. Yes, the civet does imbue the scent with a cow-pattie like quality, but to me this quality is pastoral and reassuring, not repulsive. The overall effect is like old leather boots striding through a spring flower garden where violets grow and cattle have grazed.
    A gem of a scent to love and treasure forever.

Ellen Tracy (new) by Ellen Tracy

A previous reviewer called this one VERY WEARABLE, and that is exactly right... It is a modern, light Oriental just perfect for summertime. It kind of smells like a 1960's sandy beach babe or sorority girl to me... in the best way. More women of all ages need to be turned on to this unique, beautifully balanced and blended fragrance.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

The measure of a "nose" is how well he or she can appreciate challenging fragrances... the fragrances which do not demand to be loved immediately ... the ones which contain some "dissonance", as in jazz music... KOUROS is definitely one of those fragrances. Among the fresh notes of lime, honey, amber and leather are indeed notes of civet and musk which are not unlike tomcat's piss. And therein lies the magic of the fragrance. People who truly know and love the finest of fragrances know that purely "sanitary" scents are a little bit boring... the best fragrances have a hint (or two) of the salacious about them. A soupcon of raunch. KOUROS does remind me a bit of Creed ORANGE SPICE, but the Creed is so heavy-handed and cloying... KOUROS lingers in just the right way. If anything, KOUROS's spiritual ancestor is the original SHOCKING! by Elsa Schiaparelli in the 1940's, another scent which was "shocking" because it also had a provocative note not unlike urine. Legend has it that Schiaparelli sniffed the culottes of Parisian ballerinas as inspiration for SHOCKING! KOUROS, while modern, was really a nostalgic fragrance in many ways when it emerged in 1981.

Cumming by Alan Cumming

This one just may be a new quirky masterpiece. It is a most dignified melange of dirt, peat moss, mushrooms and old leather. It may be thought of as the cutting edge answer to old scents like Creed TABAROME.
    I do not get any of the "naughty" elements sometimes ascribed to this frag; instead, I get an English rugby team in June of 1917... leather, earth and tobacco.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

A great, great modern Oriental. Surprisingly natural smelling for a big mainstream fashion house.
    The opening notes are amazingly balsamic and natural. Those who love the great Orientals in history will find this a must-have. I love the quirky flacon, too... The lettering looks as though it was done with one of those old DYMO tape labellers... intentionally designed to look a wee bit "cheap"... but in a tongue-in-cheek, <> way. Bravo.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I love this one. I think it's very innovative and very chic in its own way.

I don't get p**** (We'll leave THAT note to AGENT PROVOCATEUR).

I don't get semen (we'll leave THAT note to Davidoff COOL WATER), but I do get milk.

Milk and saliva and metal.

Picture this: at breakfastime, your three-year-old has abandoned his bowl of CHEERIOS. Left his metal spoon in it, and it sits on the table throughout the day.

You smell that bowl at 5pm when you return home. THAT'S the smell: milk that's sat too long, a vague edible sweetness, and sharp metal that's sat in milk all day.

But curiously, I like it! In summertime, it goes on as a fresh, sweetish, slightly metallic skin scent.

I think ELd'O's visual marketing campaign makes people smell things that aren't there.

03rd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 23rd May, 2010)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

After reading all the wonderful reviews on this scent, I was so eager to try it! This house puts out some mighty fine fragrances. It is a fruity floral that starts off somewhat citrus/spicy and dries down to a sweet and spicy woody fragrance - VERY WOODY. For me, it's lovely, sweet and feminine. Dolce Vita also comes off very warm and cozy - an excellent cool weather scent. (I can't imagine it on a man, but to each his own!) Definite quality and most certainly worth a try.

03rd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Cabotine by Grès

Hey, if I didn't know better I might think this Cabotine was a Caron! (First impression is a combination of Fleur de Rocaille and Bellodgia.) The many fruit/floral notes here are beautifully balanced & blended. The spice of the carnation holds well throughout the drydown and prevents the floral notes from becoming too sweet. Just the right amount of orris ~ not overly powdery ~ Comes off fresh! VERY FEMININE & VERY JOYFUL - as previous reviewers have accurately noted! As for the Ylang-Ylang...sometimes it can create an almost "stinky" weed flower type of note ~ but in Cabotine the formulation is so perfect it merely lends authenticity to the florals which keeps this fragrance natural and bright. Thumbs up without hesitation!