Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Tovah's avatar

Velvet Rope by Apothia

Velvet Rope is interesting. It's not unpleasant, but on me it becomes sickly sweet. At first it smells like a Gin & Tonic that somebody spiked with vanilla liqueur and topped off with a few mint springs. After about an hour it smells like a whiff of cold air when you're skiing while chewing peppermint gum, and wearing cherry chapstick on your lips. Then it smells Juicy-Fruit gummy and musky-sweet, and very slightly powdery. I don't get any tobacco, smoke, or sex from this one. It's a fruity-vanilla musk with an initial unusual note that smells minty. This fragrance is okay, but I get tired of it really quickly on my skin. It loses its initial spark in the way the gum loses its initial flavor, and then just tastes sweet.

Francois Blais's avatar

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

To my nose, Léonard pour Homme is identical to Van Cleef & Arpels, so if you can't find the Léonard, give a try to VC&A!

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

a touch of lemon on a cool white light musk in the warmer months. the drydown is the flaw in this one which gets kinda tacky

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

im not a fan of spices but jaipur shines. masculine and the vanilla smooths out the spices. back in 2004 was when i tried this and it made a lasting impression.

Reserve by Perry Ellis

nice.nothing stands out here to separate it from so many others

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

not much of a fan of pepper.this slightly reminds me of himilaya for some reason but doesnt come close.

Vetiver des Sables by Montale

i get face in the dirt, earth.thats what i smell. straight foward vetiver, and theres no sillage or longevity issues.

TaoLady's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Just today reconnected with this long-time favorite of mine and I have to say that I am with Foetidus on this one. Fracas, (I never could understand this name a "fracas" is usually thought of as a brawl - and this frag is a voluptuous "grande dame" if ever there was one)on me, is a beautifully composed, complex floral with no dominant note. There are hints of gardenia and muguet and tuberose but they are a bouquet - and the overall impression is at once fresh and full bodied.

I wore Fracas a lot in the sixties when my body chemistry was different (I am in my seventies - an "antique"!!??) and she was therefore a lot "louder" than now. It is so wonderful for me to read all these varying impressions - wish we could be in a room together sharing the wonder!!

Indiscreet's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

To me, this smells exactly like a nice hot cup of Earl Grey. I'm not sure I'd want to wear it, but does what it does extraordinarily well.

heartache's avatar

Cotton Candy by Demeter Fragrance Library

Great scent for a young lady. Both of my daughters and I are into perfume collecting and this is my 8yr old's favorite. Someone in their 30s like me might be able to pull this off if I put it on the run errands. Not a perfume I would wear formally.

redduke748's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

One of the finest fragrances I have ever worn, the true embodiement of the word timeless...and I can't get my hands on it anymore for love or money! Anyone know of anywhere it still retails from?

rickie's avatar

Pearls and Lace by Avon

Avon. They make and discontinue so fast I can hardly keep up. I didnt see the list of fragrances on the last page, I didnt think Pearls & Lace was listed. Anyway, heres another one that I fell for. Avon made it ~1983-84. I fell in love with it, smells soooo good. I dont think it lasts long enough, but I never cared. I always had a bottle. Its floral, but I dont know whats in it. I guess I will always lean more towards Avon than any other company. I have paid alot for other scents then end up using it for air freshner.

abimanyu's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Aqua Fitness by Biotherm

Please bring it back!!!!!I love Aqua Fitness EDT and Shower Gel!!After gym scent doesn't get any better than this!!!

Black by Kenneth Cole

Tested in conjunction with a bunch of other fragrances, I remembered it from the whole as being more recognizable from the others I tested (Davidoff' Silver Shadow and Kenneth Cole's Signature).

At start, a citric note appears as top note, something like lemon... although the girl who tested it on me said it was mandarine. At middle notes a flower note appeared (lotus), but incense was more noticeable. Also some notes of ginger from the top notes could be felt here. Finally at base notes a dominant musk note, and an absence of woody notes. The citric note still persists at this point.

Citric note wasn't fresh but more a signature note, more in the style of Boucheron. I don't see this fragrance as a daytime or summer time one, instead it's more suitable for evening events, or at office, when one needs something special to be noticeable. Both cold and warm seasons. Range of age between 25 and 40 years old.

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Tested it at a department store, when I was looking for something for office use, fall and winter seasons. Soft fragrance and classic, but nothing special.

At top notes, felt a soft aromatic note, something like fruit but I couldn't get what kind of fruit was. At middle notes, an oriental aroma, not vanilla-like but something more incensed appeared. As base notes, this fragrance turned to some very traditional, with ambar notes and patchouli.

I believe it could be used at summer or winter seasons, mainly for office use... don't believe it could be a good nocturnal fragrance. Range of age around 30-50 years old. Not my style.

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

Tested in conjunction with Rose Essentielle. Compared with that fragrance, Viole de Jasmin wasn't as attractive as expected and was softer and more plain.

The start was floral (mimosa), but a bit shaded. Then at middle notes bits of rose notes appeared, a main note of jasmin and a note of bergamote from the top ones could be felt now. The base was floral, with some rose notes and a soft musk note.

Elegant, but for someone over 35 years old. Cold or warm seasons, daytime, office or evening use.

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

I took my wife for a test session at a department store, just to know how was the new 2 fragrances from Bulgari: the Rose Essentielle and the Viole de Jasmin (and, by the way, a third one, the Eau de Mervilles from Hermes).

The start was intimidating, a very strong roses notes as top notes, just didn't look like something for my wife... so we passed and tested the second and third paper with fragrances. When all the papers was smelled, we back to smell again the Rose Essentielle and the strong rose notes was faded down and a very good berry note appeared. Also a bit of violet note can be felt, like the Bulgari pour Femme. Back at home, as base notes the rose and berry notes were still here, but a note of sandalwood arise.

This one was the best from the three we test and the one my wife liked more. When smelled the top notes I believe it was a very important events kind of fragrance, excessively elegant and something for a woman over 40 years old, but when the berries and violet notes appeared (and roses faded down), it gave me the idea of a fragrance for office use, as it wasn't too strong, for an elegant woman over 25 years old.

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

Originally I was looking for the Eau des Merveilles, but as it wasn't in the department store i asked for, the girl who atended me gave me a spray of it as an alternative.

The start was very delicious, yummy and very gourmand, with traces of chocolate and resin. The middle notes gave me the same resinous sensation from Terre d'Hermes, plus notes of vanilla and toasted ambar. At base notes the resinous sensation continued, but more burned or toasted than Terre d'Hermes. At home when I still continued smelling the paper with the fragrance, well... I got a headache.

Strong, not an office fragrance, instead it's more suitable for special events at open spaces, at daytime or evening. For summer or winter, to be used by a woman with personality, over 25 years old.

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

WOW! The opening is breathtaking—exotic woods and “ferral honey” (I love that term, SniffQ), it’s an accurate description of the vigorousness of this fragrance. Honey and wood—done in an incredibly potent way: This is the raw, fresh-out-of-the-hive honey combined with the pungently aromatic gaiac wood (oud), it vibrates with raw power and masculinity. The honey / wood accord is linear and lasts for hours—I’m not complaining about the linearity; I love the accord. When that potency finally tapers off, we are left with a wonderful wood / slightly floral dry down. The animal notes that are supposed to be in the dry down are not very strong to my nose, and the honey has ebbed to a beeswax note that blends in beautifully with the wood and iris. As opposed to the top and middle of the pyramid, the base is quite subtle. It lasts forever. Miel de Bois is a totally impressive fragrance—for me it’s a must buy, and I wouldn’t recommend buying it blind.

Bel Respiro by Chanel

Notes are rumored to include crushed leaves, rosemary, thyme, rose, lilac, hyacinth, green tea, aromatic grasses, myrrh and leather. Hmmmm...smelling this reminds me of the brilliantine pomade that my uncles used to wear called Three Flowers, hence making me think of how masculine this scent is with a little of the 50s and 60s bad boy thrown in like Fellini's La Dolce Vita. Not the best of the 6, unfortunately.

28 La Pausa by Chanel

Simple, transparent iris plays a key role throughout this scent. Not overly complicated, though they could really work on the longevity. There's also a clean, innocent-like rose in it, I'll color it pink for this composition, all with an undercurrent of tender green notes. Skirts more on the feminine at first but becomes more masculine later on. It could easily be more mistaken for a sweeter version of Divine's L'Homme de Coeur with it's more markedly citrus cologne like notes. La Pausa is still a remarkable clean scent nonetheless.

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

The other favorite of the Exclusifs I worship! Pepper and Iris creates the Chypre accord for this one, and well done at that! Powdery, sweet and leathery effect, I think this is the least transparent and the most complex of the six. Understated elegance with a definite identity. I think one can instantly recognize this scent like that of No. 5 and Coco, so you know this is one helluva unique scent, and smells definitely like a classic IMO. I'm surprised people were expecting more from the line, but I honestly think this is a definite winner. The floral aspects are definitely balanced with its semi-musty, sweet, and leathery aspects--a masterpiece! A classic definitely born!

Coromandel by Chanel

A modern oriental at its best! Pepper, frankincense and patchouli with a vanillic undertone makes me swoon! I didn't expect all 6 scents to be earth shattering, but I was certainly hoping they were wearable for either gender. It's interesting that the House didn't mention aspects of what kind of person should wear it, but rather to make a connection with the memories of the different places Chanel occupied. The raw materials used are of great quality, you can really smell its opulence. I'm not sure this reminds me of silk screen paintings as the name suggests, but definitely suggests an air of the orient meeting French refinement, elegance, and modern practicality. Coromandel is in my top two of the Exclusifs. Hoping they will offer smaller bottles so that I can actually afford one!

themeglet's avatar

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

After two short months of Tabac Blond weather here in perpetually-sunny So. Cal, I'm starting to remember that there are several other months of the year to be accounted for, perfume-wise. I adore TB, but it's a scent that becomes somewhat petulant when met with months-on-end of sun and heat. Ironically, Sienne l'Hiver promises to be everything I want in a spring/summer scent, reminding me that snow and chestnuts do, indeed, exist. I've read so many wishy-washy reviews of the scent, and yet my skin loves this like no other (except, of course, TB). I adore the odd combination of smoke+ozone+chestnuts+cobblestones+cold air+violet+something green+wet earth. So, for the love of all things Italian, why must it be so *expensive?* (Yes, one day when I sprout money from my ears, I shall bathe in this and Bois d'Ombrie...)

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

An old-fashioned floral chypre with a very nice green note, something like a brighter and less kinky Bandit. I detect something like cumin beneath the top notes, and while I don't like a prominent cumin note it's subtle enough to just add an interesting, vaguely animalic, warmth to the cool greens. Very well done, a classic.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Royal English Leather by Creed

A richer and creamier leather than Cuir de Russie, but not in a very good way. It shares the sharpness of CdR, what I thought was the birch note, but the very artificial citrus note is sweeter and more prominent throughout. The result is weirdly musty/musky/fruity and not at all pleasant.

Vasily's avatar

Indian Summer by Ava Luxe

I was hoping for something a bit smoky, with dried leaves and spices and some autumn fruit thrown into the mix. Instead, I'd call it a gourmand fragrance and it smells a bit odd on me, something like a caramel apple with a bit of spice. I like eating caramel apples, but I don't particularly enjoy wearing one. Not my favorite by this designer but if you're a big fan of gourmand fragrances you might like this one. It lasts well on me.

Vasily's avatar

Fumari by Ava Luxe

Maybe it was the sample, maybe it was my skin chemistry ... but I found no incense, woods, or smoke in this one. My trial notes say "clean, soapy, not particularly compelling". Last OK, but it's not in the same league as her Midnight Violet, Cafe Noir, Fig Wood, Feu de Bois or Kretek (all of which I highly recommend).

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

Seem that many reviewers here foun this one sticky outstanding and even dirty.
    Not my impression.
    This is true that is quite powerfull.
    It´s nice, deep, intense.
    I wouldn't say as manly as i thought (well not in my skin).
    Really nice indeed, pity idn´t work out in my skin as I was expecting
    One question, does it have peony as a note or is just me that i can smell it?

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Lily by Comme des Garçons

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Green and sharp lime with a hint of lilly of the walley.
    Very wearable as unisex fragrance and pleasant. ;)