Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Lily by Comme des Garçons

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Green and sharp lime with a hint of lilly of the walley.
    Very wearable as unisex fragrance and pleasant. ;)

Kingdom Limited Edition by Alexander McQueen

I quite prefer that version cause basicly i prefer more subtle citrusy fragrances!.
    Still smelling peony though :)
    I think my sense of smell is sick today! grr

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

As a fan of the original Angel i love it and I always like the peony note, the mix of the two is perfect but def. this is a most girly version of the original one, pity doesn´t work on my skin ...

Verveine Narcisse by Creed

PLEASE bring back Verveine Narcisse! There is now a huge void in my green/floral realm. Pure joie de vivre in a bottle.

Déclaration by Cartier

This is definitely a try before you buy endeavor. If you like cardamom and artemesia, you will love it. If you like birch and bitter orange you will love it more. These are the accords that make it so wonderful and obviously polarizing. The bergamot and cedar support with sparkling freshness. Unique, elegant, joyful, sexy, radiance with an edge. I prefer this to L'Essence Déclaration which I find to be softer and less enticing though no less exquisite.

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

I find L'Essence to be a softer, kinder version of Déclaration. The tester at the store listed Ciste as an ingredient which is not listed above. I feel this cistus is what makes the mellowing difference. I appreciate cistus greatly, especially in Eau de Hongrie by Fragonard, but I still prefer the more in-your-space joviality of Déclaration (original).

Concerto by Fragonard

This is a very potent tea fragrance. It's quite a bit like Early Grey Special (Earl Grey with jasmine). I find it to be much more natural than other black tea-focused scents. The Amber base is like a very special down pillow. Great tenacity. Earthy and simultaneously ethereal. Fragonard is an amazing value for natural-centric fragrances.

Atlanta1's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Very nice and surprising! Starts off fresh and then warms down to a spicy, clove-like fragrance or something like that. For me, I like this much better than the regular Pour Homme. The bottle with the light aquamarine liquid color is nicer, too.

bsmith001's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

This stuff is truly intoxicating. I've always been a big fan of Silver Mountain Water and while I do notice the similarities, Hamptons seems to be stronger and more masculine. SMW seems a little soft for some reason. I love it but had had comments that I smelled like a girl with it. lol. To me Hamptons is a bit more standout-ish. You can definitely notice it's actual parfum as well...it's strong. It seems to me to a be a more updated, crisper, and dry fragrance that has many notes of SMW. I know Bond No. 9 has been compared to Creed, but hey, why not start with them and make changes/improvements from there...Creed's one of the best.

kennyken's avatar

Hot Play by Lacoste

i was very disappointed in lacoste on this one. it sort of smells like kenneth cole rsvp, with a few differences...can't really tell which in particular. but there was nothing "oowey-ish" about this one. i've bought all lacoste fragrances starting from pour homme, cool play, red (style in play), essence (my favorite), and i was very eager to smell this one, but oops! sorry, not this time lacoste.

Héritage by Guerlain

Is confirmation of Luca Turin's observation that Guerlain was a master of Vanilla. This is an unusual one for me. I love it but I can't help but think that some people will have very negative reactions to it. It smells like a relic from the past (hence the name!) with a modern twist. Certainly steers towards the formal but has a bit of multiple personality so it could fit in to every occasion (when you want to emit an ambience of class that is!)

Crave by Calvin Klein

Take one part Escape for Men and one part generic fruity / sickly teenage frag' and you have (drum roll) Crave.........

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Vanilla, vanilla and vanilla and then some other notes............

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I feel a definite philosophical alignment here with L'instant by Guerlain. Certainly the Tonka Bean is quite prominent in the mix. I could wear this to work and I could wear the Guerlain but I wouldn't wear it if I wanted to be noticed. There's nothing wrong with either fragrance but I think the Guerlain has just that little bit more vibrancy to it (if I had to make a choice)

margi's avatar

England England

No. 5 by Chanel

This is undoubtedly my No 1 fragrance ever. It felt that it was an old friend when I first encountered it as a teenager. It was the first fragrance I bought with my first paycheck even though I could not afford it. It oozes sophistication and elegance and makes me feel confident and feminine and sexy. I would recommend wearing this to interviews, presentations and just about anywhere that requires you to feel in control and self assured.

margi's avatar

England England

Freedom for Her by Tommy Hilfiger

I loved this fragrance from first whiff. It is so clean and fresh and reminds me of summer. My husband on the other hand dislikes this and tells me I smell of salad!! Not very sexy, so I only wear this when I am with my girlfriends.

germanomio's avatar

France France

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

an interesting mix...during one minute !
    on can smell mint and grapefruit first, second mocha and then hazelnut but it evolves too quickly to a boring cheap drydown, similar to any "male" perfume released now
    the intention of creating something original was maybe there but it was not achieved

Amberflash's avatar

Opôné by Diptyque

I find that the wood and spice sometimes make this a good winter scent, but golly -- how I wish there were more rose! Perhaps it's my skin chemistry, but the saffron is so heavy on me that it overwhelms the rest of the notes and not always in a good way... someone even told me I smelled like "an Indian restaurant"! The lasting power is great, and sometimes I'm in the mood to smell a bit like spicy wood, but a touch more rose and this one could have been in my regular scent stable.

Disco-Legend-Zeke's avatar

Andron for Men by Jovan

I started using ANDRON when it first became available. I was very happy with the results.

The dissappearance of this great product from the marketplace has caused me to consider making a GENERIC version.

I checked Ebay, and people are paying $100 an ounce for old bottles. I wold be interested in hearing from past users.

Disco-Legend-Zeke's avatar

Realm by Realm Fragrances

I have been using REALM since i was no longer able to find ANDRON, my previous #1 choice.

Although i am 65 years old, the girls still squeal with delight when i come into the disco (usually PURE nightclub in Caesars Palice, Las vegas.) Sure, i am reasonably cute and a great dancer, but its the pheromones that are turning the girls on.

It is my unconfirmed opinion that the pheromone component has been reduced since the original release of the product. This is entirely based on the
    reactions i get from girls on the dance floor.

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

The amber in this gave me immediate heartburn! Not a pleasant combination. Not a perfume, just a strange smell in my opinion.

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

This started off quite peppery then the basil note quickly turned to smell like cat's urine on me. I quickly washed it off and tried it again later with the same result. Very disappointed as it was the first one I tried in a complimentary gift of four samples.

Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh by Jo Malone

A cologne which takes me back to the forties. Very pleasant and light. A shade on the sweet side after an hour or two but layering with Grapefuit takes away the sweetness. Flowery and quite wearable.

tmp00's avatar

Aldehyde 44 by Le Labo

All aldehydes in the opening: white flowers and fizzy aldehydes, but without the powderiness usually associated. Gets a musky note fairly quick and a woody drydown. I don't know how unisex this really is but I do like it. Too bad it's only available in Dallas, which will certainly limit its appeal for most

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

First whiff to the last lingering note, this fig fine! So many reviewers have described this fragrance perfectly. For me, an underlying musty green adds the raw & natural vibe. The drydown is sweet powdery sandalwood which the fig note accompanies the entire way through. It is an awesome scent. I think the blending of notes here is brilliant. In fact, it's very fine!

20th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Holy mackerel! As soon as I tried it on myself, I knew I had to smell it on my husband. I nearly assaulted him with this fragrance. I grabbed his wrist saying, "Put this on, right now, you HAVE to try it", he had no choice. Then, the seemingly impossible happened. He declared T42 an amazing scent. It is smokey. So much so that when the real tea topnotes dry down it seems almost tobaccoish. Doesn't come accross sweet, but there is a mildly sweet note (honey probably) which brings balance to this mix. I find it intoxicating. My favorite L'Artisan thus far. As for the price, of course I wish it was not so high. But I'm willing to part with big dollars for this frag!

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I've just tried to sample the EDT version of this Mure et Musc but I honestly cannot smell it! I've used 1/2 the sample vial yet this juice instantly evaporates from my skin. Don't know what else to say. It is completely undetectable.

Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Delicate ~ drying down to buttery cream ~ Tubereuse is very interesting. Gardenia here for sure. It has a raw authenticity to it. Awhile back I was given a gardenia plant as a gift, and (amazingly) I was able to keep it alive long enough to enjoy the fragrant sweet flower that bloomed! This L'Artisan offering completely reminds me of that exact smell! Bravo!
    * As a side note: as much as I applaud this creation, It's not wearable for me. Most certainly worth trying though.

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Anisia Bella Aqua Allegoria by Guerlain is IMO the female counterpart to Fou d' Absinthe. I am very fond of anise notes found in many fragrances today, and this L'Artisan creation is no exception. It is positively masculine, clean, fresh, and interesting. Sure wish it lasted longer though.

Sloan's avatar

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Finally, a smoky fragrance I can wear. Can't smell the patchouli with the birch tar, smoke, and wood covering it up. A few hours into the drydown, I can detect a faint trace of vanilla but it's barely there. Reminds me of Fumidus and Lonestar Memories (sans toothpaste note), yet Patch 24 works very well with my chemistry as opposed to the former.