Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Armani Privé Pierre de Lune by Giorgio Armani

An old-fashioned floral, powdery and a little musty. Also cool, watery almost, some might call it fresh. I mostly get violets and there are other violet scents I'd rather wear.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

A decent amber with a little bit of dry patchouli, but hardly the best. Too sweetened for my taste, and something about it is slightly nauseating.

melissa1's avatar
    melissa1

Very Sexy for Her by Victoria's Secret

I personally thought all Victoria's Secret fragrances were incredibly similar. Not true! This is very different, not only from VS, but from what scents I usually wear. I received a sample of this, quite unexpectedly and only recently tried it on myself. This is a VERY SEXY scent! I absolutely adore it. It's definitely full bottle worthy...could be my HG!

vadim's avatar
    vadim
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Arboretum by Le Prince Jardinier

A nice but somewhat timid woodsy scent that doesn't quite live up to the promise of the stated notes. If it's a walk in the woods, then it's a trimmed sunny park rather than a dark forest. If you like Sisley's Eau de Campagne or the lighter Creeds, you'll probably like this one as well. Arboretum exudes the same air of quality and calmness, but is too indistinct, short-lived and unisex for my liking.

Andre BH's avatar
    Andre BH

Olène by Diptyque

This scent was worn by the eccentric, androgynous and manipulative manager of the Polo Ralph Lauren store in NYC 15 years ago. Wherever he went, this red haired fop carried this smell all over the store. To smell it was to smell power, but power exercised to intimidate and belittle.

I agree that this smell is equally as feminine as masculine, but it is also obnoxiously assertive and stays in a room hours after the wearer has left it.

TaoLady's avatar
    TaoLady

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Reminds me of my visit to Chartwell. Opens to a gust of conifer/citrus and settles into a gentlemanly herbal freshness which is totally appropriate for a lady's summer afternoon. Gone in an hour or less, one needs to carry it with. Aloof, aristocratic - a nice relief from more intrusive frags.

Drzed's avatar
    Drzed

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

It is a sweltering afternoon in August. The sun beats down on a pile of creosote-soaked railroad ties piled beside an old dirt road. The road, which has recently been coated with old motor oil to keep down the dust, runs through a barren sand pit. A grizzled man in a hard hat and oil-stained coveralls drives by on an old John Deer backhoe, while diesel fuel slowly drips from the undercarriage...

20th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 03 October, 2009)

kennyken's avatar
    kennyken

Millésime Impérial by Creed

i'm gonna be simple. fantibulous!

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

Équipage by Hermès

Equipage is--for me--the scent of foreign travel, exotic places, piles of pigskin luggage and hotels de grande luxe; harking back to a day when the field was narrow--the market was not glutted with luxury fragrances for men in 1970. This floral scent is saved from itself by having a rosewood topnote and earthy tonka and pachouli that ensure that it is masculine and sophisticated. It is ironic that--coming from Hermes--it does not have a leather note--almost as if the wearer provides the leather note from the shoes, belt, briefcase and luggage that he carries--all from Hermes, of course!

Hermes has gone on to other--possibly greater--things since this scent was launched (Bel Ami is a personal favorite of mine) but the bar was rasied very high with this one and it still sets the tone for masculine luxury all around the globe.

Durban's avatar
    Durban
    Spain Spain

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Southern Spain is one of the places where you have the opportunity to smell Oranges Trees in blossom -Azahar- every spring, as you walk down the street the scent fills the air; it's an awesome smell that I really love. That's why I get excited every time a new perfume containing Orange Blossom comes out... but then I smell it and unfortunately the excitement ends. I've never found a perfume capable of emulate the wonderful scent of 'Azahar'. This one is not different, which makes me kind of sad for I really like the original Fahrenheit.
    Besides, I won't say this is a masculine fragance, not at all. The Azahar scent is too feminine for me... there's a hidden dark basenote (maybe vanilla?) that wants to be kind of strong though, but it won't go out...

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I bought this in the early eighties, and it became my second fave ( first being No 5). I always associate it with having lots of fun as it is sparkling, light green and quite cheeky. Longevity is fantastic for such a light fragrance. I do find it similar to Diorella, but as this fragrance has poor longevity on my skin, I will choose Cristalle every time. This always attracts comments when I wear it, but sadly mostly from women!!

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

I cannot find it in me to agree that this fragrance is sexy! I do adore it, but for me it is a fresh, girl next door cutesy kinda fun fragrance. I sometimes feel embarrassed wearing it as I associate it with teenage and college girls, and I am in fact in my mid forties, but it is so lovely, that I do occasionally indulge. For me it is more of a jeans and T shirt frag than a sexy nightime choice, my husband tells me I smell of oranges and is not so keen. Frankly, I have been accused of smelling of worse things than oranges soooo I will take it as a compliment.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

I have loved this fragrance since it launch which is a huge surprise to people who know about my passion for patchouli and dark fragrances. I feel this must be my alter ego making itself felt. This is so lovely and fresh and light that you could imagine yourself on a cool spring day, wearing blue gingham, a straw hat, sandals and sipping homemade lemonade on the banks of a river. Not an everyday fragrance for me by any means, but ideal when you want to occasionally act all girly and innocent(ish)!!. Surprisingly long lasting for such a subtle scent, and does have an amazingly calming affect on my mood.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I absolutely LOVE this fragrance, and although I can smell the chocolate, the most dominant smell I percieve is the patchouli, although it is not mentioned in the notes. Anyone, like me who is an aging rock chic will love this as it reminds me in a much more subtle way of my earlier head banging days. However, most people who comment on how nice I smell when wearing this fragrance have never been into this music genre, so please don't let that last comment put anyone off!! Again, this is a very sexy fragrance, so I rarely wear this during daylight hours. I also never wear this when going out to dinner as it is a little strong for some people. I would recommend keeping this for special night in with the partner of your dreams.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Love Love Love this fragrance. Very different from any rose type fragrance imaginable. I get very little rose at all, but I do get lots of earthy patchouli. A tad melancholy, so not one to use if you are feeling blue. Longevity is not great on me, but worth reapplying to acheive such a dramatic almost gothic fragrance.

Scent by Costume National

Since I first owned this fragrance, I can never be without it. It is very bold, and in my opinion can only be worn by somebody who is comfortable in their own skin. I love amber and hibiscus together, and find this a very sexy aroma. It is equally as sexy on my husband, although he says he would rather smell it on me!! Although it is a flirty smell, I still feel quite sophistocated when I wear it, and tend to wear this when I am power dressing. Lasts ages on my skin especially when layered. If you are daring and looking for something WAY different, you must try this.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I like this perfume lots, but not one of my all time faves and here is why. Its smells quite generic, very similar to lots of others e.g SJP as Heidi also commented. It is ideal in my opinion for the office, not special enough for a date. OK for shopping, but not for the theatre.(get my drift?) Having said that, I will probably buy it again when this bottle runs out. It is a nice combination of mossy, musky, floral and fruits. Whew!! I am definitely going to try Heidi's idea of combining it with Crystalle though.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

OH No. How can anything like this have been created by Tierry Mugler? This has to be the most unpleasant fragrance mistake I have made in ages. I find it nauseating and headach inducing just like Dior's Poison. It lasts for ages even after you bathe, which is a pity when you just want to scrub it off. It does smell like a particularly nasty cleaning fluid, and would more than likely do wonders for blocked drains!!

Nicole Farhi Femme by Nicole Farhi

I bought this on a whim as it was half price in a sale, but was pleasantly surprised. It is warm without being dark, and the ylang ylang is the most percievable note for me. It reminds me of something I used to wear in the 70's but I cannot remember what?? For that very reason it brings happy memories flooding back. The pink pepper is more apparent to me on drydown, but I just do not get the chocolate notes. I find that this is not a particularly memorable scent, but find it hard to believe anyone would find it unpleasant

theissue's avatar
    theissue

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

Plain, nothing that would turn anyone off, but far from unique or fanatic. I've had a bottle for more than a few years now and it has been roommates or friends who have occasionally used it rather than I. I keep it as something I would consider to wear at, sorry to say it, a funeral or occasion where I want to smell better than human yet still go unnoticed.

theissue's avatar
    theissue

Canali Men by Canali

I am a big fan of this scent. Particularly in the summer when it mixes with my persperation it releases some amazing results. Unfortunately it has seemed really weak all winter. Does not last long on me no matter how much I apply. I still did just re-order a bottle and can't wait to use it as the warmth of spring approaches. Overall a very nice scent, I just wish it was a bit more powerful.

Magnetism by Escada

Very candy sweetness, velvety and rich. Right up there with Angel and Sicily. You only wear this to attract attention!

Cheap and Chic by Moschino

I love the bottle but never wear the fragrance. It's heavy, musky and makes me feel dreadfully unattractive. L'Eau C&C is much better.

Calyx by Prescriptives

I loved this fragrance intensely! It's now hard to buy in Australia. Grassy, spritely, sharply sweet. It suited me on days that I was busy having fun.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

I love the bottle but this is too extravagant for me to wear.

Fujiyama by Succès de Paris

Fresh, gingery and distinct. Lasts well and attracts comments. Great for summery days. Very crisp.

Soda Pop Fizz by Smell THIS

Soda Pop genuine!! More distinct than Yvresse, you can really get the sensation of effervescence by sniffing this one. Tingly, fruity and crisp. But yes, agreed, very sad they discontinued this. It captures the action of opening a can of soda extremely well.

PUCCA's avatar
    PUCCA

KSM by Kristel Saint Martin

I melt when my boyfriend wears this! I want to buy another bottle for him but I can't find it anywhere... :-(

Clayton's avatar
    Clayton
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Frasier Fir by Demeter Fragrance Library

Exactly what you get when you tear a handful of needles from a Fraser Fir tree.
    A big, beautiful, authentic blast of coniferous outdoorsiness. In true Demeter fashion, its longevity is inversely proportional to how much you are fond of it. For me, that means about 10-30 seconds.

21st March, 2007

Clayton's avatar
    Clayton
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Coriander Tea by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is "tea" only in quotes, in the sense that it refers to other cheap-smelling green tea accords in air care products. I get not a whiff of coriander. To me it reads as a needlessly sweet, needlessly synthetic fruity-floral. Flashbacks to those deoderising toilet roll spindles with the rubbery scented beads tumbling around inside. Unexpectedly repugnant.

21st March, 2007