Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

howardbweiner's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I used to really enjoy Jaipur, but now cannot tolerate it. The heaviness of the Tonka Bean combined with the Helioltrope leaves me gasping for fresh air. Odd how our fragrance preferences change over time. One moment you love it and the next you can't abide it!

howardbweiner's avatar

Follia di Aquarama by Follia di Aquarama

This fragrance is an excellent example of how dynamically subjective fragrance can be. Though some reviewers find Aquarama synthetic and truly awful, my experience is entirely different. I find it wonderfully layered and complex. In essence, it reminds me of "old money". I love it and use it often.

iMaverick's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Bought this blind. It started off with a surprising sharp and soapy opening, a little brash, quite like that of Lalique Homme, which quickly segued into...oh geez,

SO...MUCH...POWDER!!!!...MUST...BE....STRONG!!!...can't imagine this could be the rose talking--never smelled a rose this powdery!

And then you meet a smooth, spicy aromatic oriental, the gentleman's cologne. The rose fern and carnation create a green and sharp spiciness, and it's sweet, but not syrupy...a more wooded sweetness. As it mellows further into the drydown, it becomes mossy, with an undertone of musk.

Try this on for a formal event or want to be taken seriously in a business meeting! There's a quiet power and presence about it.

Carlo Colucci Uomo Mare by Carlo Colucci

Great for a summer day, but Carlo Colucci is almost too well-made in order to need a lighter, revorked, more watery and more casual version. Still, good to be worn on a frequent basis and discreet not to be either too heavy, but without showing to much personality or sophistication either. Tough the fragrance house that bred this scent created both enduringly stylish and at the same time moderately priced creations- just to mention Tabac...
    Easy-to-wear and light enough to refresh troughout a torrid climate, maybe targeted at a very young age group ( one that hasn't much appetite for more conservative scents). Maybe, it's the same problem as with Roma- with whom the original Carlo Colucii resembles- tough Acqua di Roma is a good scent too, Roma was so flawless that it left no room for subsequent versions. The same thing might apply for Carlo Colucci Mare, or, again, as it happened with Agua Brava Sea Power, once you got the sheer, unmistaken real chypre, a reworked watery-youthful-casual version of it only adds an unremarkable note of commonplace, unmanly sweetness ( notable exception Boss Elements Aqua which equals and almost surpasses the elegance, distinction and originality of Elements) without any real extra but a few notes which might as well have lacked completely.

Transat by Yves Rocher

Smells like a more virile and long lasting version of the follow up Altika ( or rather the latter is a lighter, sweeter and less lasting version of this ) with good lasting power too. A burst of gentlemanly yet boldly natural crisp herbal essences, with a more complex woody and slightly musky drydown which might have sinned truogh excessive sweetness if it were not for both an icy cooling note but also a more subtle, creamy, rich and lush aloe/ body milk/ " fresh out of the shower" note.

Altikä by Yves Rocher

Fresh up to the point of being a very likely accepted everyday scent, a correct, but on the down side with sweet ( with vanillic and fruity) touches unspectacular scent.

oolong's avatar

Of a Man by Body Shop

A very good value in a summer scent. It has a very pleasing fresh/clean/citrus smell and has reasonable longevity for a summer scent. It competes very effectively with a lot of summer fragrances that cost several times as much. Very well worth checking out if you want a value priced fragrance with a high end smell.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Excellent stuff. Classy indeed. I always keep a bottle on hand, as it works well in most social situations and most climates, including the warmer ones. It seems to vary a bit from "vintage" to "vintage" in terms of concentration and/or the ratio of components as I've had bottles that seemed to have different "emphases" in the composition, and some that had great staying power while others faded rather quickly. It must be the "Tweed" in the name and the Cary Grant connection, but it has a sort of sartorial aura about it that I reflexively associate with those cool old black-and-white movies from the late 50's and early 60's. Thumbs up.

Royal Water by Creed

Pleasantly unisex. I have to disagree with those who say that it's too feminine to be unisex -- I haven't smelled it on a woman, but it's definitely fine for guys. It must be the bergamot that does it for me, because I seem to end up liking anything that contains it. This one is quite fresh, and just when you think it's going to get a bit too feminine, the musk kicks in and makes it work. Has some similarities with Santa Maria Novella's Colonia Russa I believe.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I see why people like it; it's sort of an archetype fragrance -- classic, old school fresh and green, what people who aren't into fragrances might think of when trying to imagine a "classic". Alas, my opinion is biased as I compare it to other vetivers (MPG's Route de Vetiver is my favorite, Creed's new one is next) that I tried before really giving Guerlain's classic version a serious go. In comparison, this one is very light and stays extremely close to the skin on me. It's green and somewhat organic, but not as good as I had expected. 3 out of 5 stars.

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

I like it a lot, it's my favorite CdG so far and I've tried many of them. It's synthetic, for sure -- but in a modern, minimalist sort of way -- and that's a plus in this case. Great for hot weather. Smells like something the Bauhaus school would come up with if they did fragrances.

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

One of those fragrances that smell like they'd taste great if you could drink them. If only it had more staying power! Great for warm weather. First leaves and berries, then herbs and tobacco, and finally into the weak wood, moss and musk that is barely detectable. A concentrée version is in order... that'd be a real winner.

RuffDawg's avatar

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

I used to love this scent back in the 80s and early 90s but recently I purchased a new bottle and first thing i noticed is that the bottle has changed, remember the original spray bottles with the gold diamond on the bottle and the purple gem on the cap? they were beautiful and perfect, now theyre awful and very cheap looking. Second, I think the scent has been tweaked or more likely they've replaced the costly pure natural oils with cheaper synthetic ones because it smells funny to me now, especially on the dry down. I notice its not as "deep" smelling as before and it lasts about half as long as it used to. Does anyone agree with me on this, or is my nose out of tune?

Rosa Flamenca by Les Parfums de Rosine

Very bright, warm and sunny interpretation of Rosine's rose theme, this time with a more Mediterranean flavour thanks to jasmine, orange blossom, neroli and citrus notes. This one makes me want to drink sangria and wear flame-coloured roses in my hair!

Rose D'été by Les Parfums de Rosine

Love galbanum and bergamot, but NOT apple, melon and mimosa (plus am allergic to linden aka lime blossoms), so was neither surprised nor disappointed that Rose d'Été wasn't for me. Top notes smell bitterish, heart watery-fruity. Nix.

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

Though I find some Rosines utterly charming, La Rose isn't one of them. Very strong and too sweet to my nose, smells "sticky", not powdery, as I expected it to.

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Une Zest de Rose was one of the first Rosines I fell for, a very lovely and effervescent rose scent with zingy & zesty zitrus and aromatic green tea and mate notes. This one will brighten up any day, no matter how grey and gloomy!

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This one receives a thumbs up because it's a great scent - very unisex. However, for the money I would try Clarins Eau Dynamisante treatment fragrance. It's very similar & MUCH more affordable!

Un Zeste D'Eté by L'Artisan Parfumeur

At the risk of being repititious ~ This is a bright and cheerful fragrance! Kind of like Anick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien on puppy-uppers! It's truly beautiful.

Mandarine Tout Simplement, by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Juicy and tangy/sour opening ~ in a very good way! I cannot recall a single fragrance that has actually smelled tangy and sour; like a real citrus fruit. AMAZING! The initial burst of topnote lasts for mere seconds, then a more rich orange note infuses with ginger. I haven't read this anywhere but I distinctly detect cardamom. For my entire life mom baked scandanavian type breads using this spice and I tell you: that cardamom note exists here in this blend! Mandarine Tout Simplement is probably one of the most original fragrances I've ever encountered. I adore it. * as an update ~ I did purchase this scent, but found it very difficult to wear...I never felt that it was suited to me or appropriate for any occassions in my life...I'm still enamoured by this one, but sadly, have no desire to put it on.

21st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2008)

zztopp's avatar

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Notes: Mysore sandalwood, cumin, spices, styrax balsam and caramelized Siamese benzoin

While on my sandalwood adventure, I recently decided to seek out this non-export Serge Lutens rendition of the mystical mysore sandalwood. The sandalwood gets whacked early on in the game, the captains take over too early, and the fragrance lacks stugots.

The sandalwood is apparent from the beginning. While lush, it is cocooned within the serge lutens note palette of various spices, cumin and amber/caramel. At this point, it smells like no other sandalwood fragrance out there...unless ofcourse if you have tried other Lutens fragrances; then it smells awfully familiar. The cumin, spices and caramelized benzoin with hints of sandalwood smell delicious - infact, I see streaks of a well behaved Arabie (2000) here; the main accord here smells like a toned down version of the spicy-sweet nastiness found in Arabie's juice. As the fragrance progresses, the sandalwoods' cohorts take charge and morph it into the familiar sticky-spicy-sweet-profuse aroma which emanates constantly from Sheldrake's lab....except this time around, its not as cloying and suffocating. While the sandalwood has all but disappeared from the composition, it seems that its imperceptible woodiness restrains the typical lutens sugary accord from venturing into the "cloying" territory.

Is Santal de Mysore the ultimate sandalwood scent? Definitely not. While I prefer it to Arabie, it smells like a subtle variation on the standard Lutens perfume design pattern. The sandalwood isn't plentiful enough, and the rest of the composition smells tired and repetitive at times if you are familiar with other fragrances from the house. Santal De Mysore isn't bad, but Etro Sandalo, Villoresi Sandalo, Creed Santal Imperial/Bois De Santal, and Diptyque Tam Dao are all more worthy of the sandalwood name. This cuminized mysore potion needs bigger balls with more juice.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

No. 19 by Chanel

A nice green chypre, a little lighter, fresher and more springlike than traditional oakmoss-heavy chypres. The powderiness seems to be something of a Chanel signature. Nice, not stunning.

baald's avatar

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

wow - I only tried this because I tend to love everything Olivia Giacobetti does, but I wasn't really expecting to like it; It's my new favorite scent.

as a marine note hater, don't be put off by others' descriptions of marine notes. There's a bit of cucumber, and a definite litheness (er, a liquidity to its feel, but not its smell), but it doesn't strike me as aquatic at all. I don't get the lilac that others describe (but not sure i've ever smelled real lilac), but i might be mistaking lilac for iris.

sillage was about perfect for my taste and longevity seems pretty good too.

I like this on myself (i think it'll be my new summer scent), but would really love to smell it on a woman.

fredricktoo's avatar

UDV for Men (new) by Ulric de Varens

I also got a sample of this with an order. It's not bad Some decent sillage, I don't get the Cool Water association but it smells like something quite familiar. My first thought was a GIT rip off.

mikeperez23's avatar

Fig Wood / Bois de Figue by Ava Luxe

A very SWEET fig scent with decent longevity and good sillage. Much better than Marc Jacobs 'fig' notes, but as I said VERY SWEET.

I got a faint 'cold cream' note that surprised (and annoyed) me.

I cannot imagine wearing this on a hot day, I think it would be cloying on me.

Land by Lacoste

An unforgettable fragrance cant find it anywhere these days. A complex creation, very potent, long lasting frag much appreciated reminds me of Giorgio Armani Pour Homme.

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

One Man Show or the lonely man Show if you like, coz you are likely to be left alone if have this on. I tend to agree with foetidus on the standards issue. I wish i didnt have to come down hard on OMS having used it myself years ago i really thought highly of it back then, but seriously who wants to smell like a farm hand? lets match OMS for you guys if you dont already know, OMS is similar to Benetton's COLD and versace's discontiuned GREEN JEANS,i think what gives OMS away is that its harsh notes never give way to softer tolerable unforgettable notes that powerhouses are known for.

You're the Fire for Men by Yardley

75ml of golden sweet smelling juice, that lasts, suprisingly i still get compliments even after several hours, even now after all this years iam still tempted to pick one up when i see it.

OK!!! so its inexpensive, but its somewhat like Lagerfeld's original cologne(which is richer though and has more range and sophistication).

tmgp24's avatar

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

this stuff is great.smells of true rose and citrus(lemon)lasts a good while.different and unusual.

Dolly Dagger's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I'm on my third bottle, I went from really liking it, to not so much, and now like it again. It is somewhat a comfort scent to me. It's not dazzling, but it's not annoying either, somewhere in the middle. It's alot of vanilla, but not fruity or flowery, which is a plus for me*