Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

julie-madam's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

This is a great, easy-to-wear rose scent that, in my opinion, is simple enough to wear for all occasions, yet has just enough amber-y depth to keep it interesting. There was very little "powder" in the drydown for which I was grateful. I wish the staying power were better (I bought the EDP), but since I like to change scents so often throughout the day, I'm okay with it. If you want it to last longer, I suppose you could layer a rose and/or amber-scented lotion underneath.

xxerus's avatar

France France

S-ex by S-Perfume

Seems nice ! Probably I won't get it in France (never heard 'bout such a brand...). Is it the same kind of frag as "Rem" from Réminiscence ?? ("Rem" smells like "summer")

Burberry for Women by Burberry

One of my favourite fragrances. It reminds me of sunny summer days... that's why I love wearing it in the winter, or when it is rainy outside, or anytime I feel down.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

It is weird, however I used to wear this one in my teenage years. Now it is a classic, but, now, as a mature woman, it seems to me too young(due to the floran nature of the fragrance)! At the same time young girls think of it as an old lady's scent. Does this make sense? I still like to get a whiff of it once in a while to remember the good old times :).

No. 5 by Chanel

It may be a classic and I was sure that I would love it, as I like anything that has jasmine traces in it. However I was not impressed. I felt it went from classic to outdated. Strange but on my skin it kind of had a talcum baby powder undertone - not my favourite.

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

I always get compliments when I am wearing it. I am a person that wears fragrances accordign to my moods. This one makes me feel in power - good for days when I want to make myself noticed and get my points accross the table. I always wear it for interviews ( brought me good luck! ). I can understand also the comment about bedroom wear. It has something very sensual to it - maybe it is the musk note.

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

It is funny that there is a comment about mother wanting this fragrance for Christmas. It is also my mother's favourite perfume. I believe it is a more mature, sophisticated scent. Not for younger ladies. Although very pleasant, it is not something I would particularly wear - it does feel a little old school to me. I wish it would be a sign in between thums up and neutral as I cannot decide which one to add.

Carl999's avatar

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

There's something about this fragrance...It smell like a cool, dewey early-spring Saturday morning...I guess it because this is what my dad used to use say, three of four year back for a while, and I always used to smell it on Saturday mornings when he went out to cut the lawn...It's a nice fragrance, lemony-grassy-peppery-mossy-resinous in nature. A very nice fragrance, with great sillage, in my oppinion...Oh, and I have to day in reply to what has previously been indicated - yes, this is in the genre of newer/modern/mass-market productions, but smell quite UNLIKE many other fragrances in its genre...thumbs up from me!

But I have to say this: as much as at age eighteen I adore this fragrance, use conscientiously - three srays on skin, three on your shirt, and use the Oscar deoderant in combination, and it'll last all day, and at that, gain you many compliments!

P.S. Does anyone else here share the same thought that the release date for this frag is incorrect as posted here on basenotes? I, and my girl friend, and my mum, can swear that it was released maybe at the end of '98 - '99...I know some countries like the States and many European countries get early-release privilages, but that sort of thing never happens in Australia...

chaelaran1008's avatar

Passion by Annick Goutal

Tuberose, jasmine, vanilla, oakmoss.
    Captivatingly pretty scent from Annick Goutal. I find it lighthearted, joyous, uplifting and an ideal scent for springtime. I don't detect the oakmoss at all but love the jasmine and tuberose which are softened by vanilla.

Elf's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Well, the purple bottle is fantastic. The scent is completely synthetic and odd, but not in a bad way, more like purple neon. It's a virtual jasmine, a virtual amber, very electric, artificial, technological if that makes sense. Like an alien's take on Earth scents. It is unabashedly divorced from Nature. The longevity is incredible, the sillage pronounced. Very different!

F_Frez's avatar

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

It was a sample my wife used a couple of years ago, now as we must travel outside the city for the weekend she took it from her samples box last night. By the way, I tested it before she leave definitively this sample in her parent's house as her weekend fragrance.

The top notes are flowered, seems to be only one kind of flower (Estee Lauder's web site says it's white lilies), plus some fresh green notes. At middle notes the green notes fades down and notes like soft roses appears (not the strong red ones), plus some other flower notes, they should be peony and jasmine. When smelled it today at morning, the rose notes were still there, and a subtle sandalwood appeared as base note. Couldn't get any patchouli note.

It's a fresh flowered fragrance, recognizable by their peony, rose and jasmine notes. Compared with Pleasures Exotic, both ones shares the same peony note. It's a kind of daytime fragrance, very fresh for warm seasons but flowered enough for colder seasons. Suitable for office use, romantic events and for informal evening events. Range of age between 20 and 60 years old.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Almost too good to be a designer scent and not a niche, boutique, artisan and limited edition fragrance - all in one.Alongside very few masterpieces, one of the fragrances that, even if all the other fragrances were wiped out, it would the truthful and credible image of how an ideal masculine fragrance should be and smell. The opening is clean- cut, enjoyable and lightface, it still does not compare itself to the depths and richly fulfilling sensations yet to come. It's a slight lemon sherbet known i know from Versace Blue Jeans, however less casual and sweet, oddly one of the few cases where the almost edible hints of citrus, more precisely citrus tea, sweets, or even syrup is not plain, blunt, unimaginative or repulsive, but bears a certain solar playfulness even with a hint of ( tough not listed among the ingredients) invigorating neroli essence. To sum it up- that rare, almost unlikely turning point when citrus scented sweets are not artificial or ill-smelling, but lush and making the most of the balanced and pungent acidity of this note. The mixture between citrus and a chypre, spicy and woody dry-down is nothing new and if placed close to Chanel pour monsieur, Givenchy Gentleman, Armani PH, Hugh Parsons yellow edition,
    Roberto Capucci, Eau Sauvage and even a few Creeds, the resemblance would be quite obvious- a fine, carefully used citrus notes, creating the perfect introduction for a conservatively elegant, stylishly crafted combination of floral, wood, piny and leathery notes. Also, the resemblance to Acqua di Parma and Colonia Assoluta struck me- it has a variety of interpretation of the citrus ingredient- mellow, sharp, crisp; however, longer lasting than Acqua di Parma and less heavy and more subtle than Colonia Assoluta.
    The middle notes are powdery- aromatic discreet floral found also in Pour Monsieur, as well as Ungaro II and III.
    After this extended introduction, i still think that the dry-down is the focal point. It is one of the few spiritual Orientals or tobacco smells around, stimulating and appealing not only to the senses but even the mind. Just before it would end as Oriental and sensual, as warm and smoky as Antaeus, Opium or Drakkar Noir, it adds an extra, more fragile and also complex, more versatile and elusive note of exotic spice, even forest fruits- especially berries-
    and balsamic mossy notes. And if Drakkar already counterbalances and lightens up that tobacco note with that enthralling intellectually stimulating effusiveness, Rive Gauche goes a step further- the very citrus note mentioned above adds to the tobacco dry-down, the classic robust manliness, a both costly yet also familiar soapy touch. It's that barbershop feeling also noticed in other reviews, that nostalgically remembered feeling of how yesterday's barbershops used to smell, of course soapy, drenched in eau de cologne, high quality and very natural( therefore quite costly) shaving and haircare products, of resinous, coniferous and camphor essences.
    So, a long-lasting classic with a sparkling, solar, uplifting soapy citrus quality, a scent worthy of
    luxurious, exclusive yet comfortable and inviting barbershop, dignified and tastefully opulent lounges. A scent made for both day-wear as it suggest maturity and unquestionable superiority and seriousness yet without being stereotypical, prudish, snobbish, generic, annoying or pushy, yet mysterious, creative, even artistically accomplished to be suitable for the evening, having both the sophistication fit for the most formal occasions yet enough charm and originality in order to be the highlight of the most bohemian uncommonly underground artistic and intellectual surroundings (usually reserved for insiders only).

A true insider of the fragrance world, witty, mannered and one of the happy few accomplished scents.

22 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2009)

P-Natra's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

This is my next millésime from Creed.

P-Natra's avatar

Aria di Mare by Il Profumo

This one smell like the sea (mare). It is so fresh and clean. Is like you sitting on a beach. It is sooo natural. I think this summer i try this one.

the_good_life's avatar

Eau de Patou (original) by Jean Patou

I instantly liked and can#T add too much to what has been so competently said. So I'll furnish some facts:
    Did you know there was a male and a female version of Eau de Patou?
    Eau de Patou pour homme from 1976 is listed in the H&R Duftatlas from 1989 with these notes:
    Top:Lemon, Lime (Bergamot, Mandarin, Basil, Aldehyde)
    Middle:Jasmin, Patchouli (Iris, Clove, Fruit note, Cedarwood)
    Base:Moss, Musk (Amber, Civet, Labdanum)

The presently discussed female version contains (according to parfyym.pri.ee):
    Top: Sicilian Citrus, Guinea orange
    Middle: Tunesian orange blossom, pepper, honeysuckle, Ylan Ylang, nasturtium
    Base:Musk, Moss, Amber Civet

The midnote florals somehwat remind me of Dukes of Pall Mall Cotswold, though that has quite a different citrus top.

I do find Eau de Patou rather feminine in the middle courtesy of the pronounced Ylan Ylang notes. I like Ylan Ylang, thankfully and there is nothing suffocatingly heavy here, of course.

Those florals create a certain (hand)creamy sensation which I also get in Casran (no good), Sander Background, Esper Graphite (soso). Here it's quite pleasant, though I can't help seeing a well-groomed attractive woman in a pastel spring or summer outfit before me when smelling this. As foetidus says, it gets less feminine as it dries down. Wonderful, but I really would like to try the men's.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Third thumbs-down Rosine for me (Été and La Rose were the first two). "Metallic" and headache-inducing, I guess its the marine note that is to blame. Not my bottle of rose scent.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Gold by Donna Karan

Lilies open this feminine scent in a grand way! Along with those giant white blooms come jasmine and amber, which bring about a common/mainstream 21st. century feel to this mixture. A bit of patchouli in the base is restrained. (I appreciate that!) Classy & playful. All in all a wonderful springtime fragrance for any lady to enjoy! In my opinion, this is the golden essence of women that Chanel's Chance tried to capture but failed. Undoubtedly worth a try.

zztopp's avatar

Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris

Notes: Orange oil from Valencia, pettigrain, orange flowers from Tunisia, jasmin from Egypt, iris absolute, leather with birch tar, Spanish ciste, oak moss and patchouli.

Cuir D'Oranger (Cdo) is one of the more interesting "leather" scents that I have encountered recently, and surprisingly it may be one of my summer staples. Don a leather jacket, grab an orange, step out into searing heat and you are set to experience Cdo.

Cdo opens with a burst of bitter citrus which immediately piques the senses. Gradually the jasmin and iris heart, while being discreet, tame this intense opening. The floral heart is sandwiched between two intense notes set, and thus isnt explicit in its performance. The bitter orange accord is here to stay because it plays a starring role in Cdo. The base reveals a smorgasboard of notes: stinky birch tar, desiccant moss, and drafts of leather. Its dirty, raw, and alluring at the same time. The bitter orange swirls through this rich mossy base, providing a sharp contrast to the dry animalic show on display. The resulting accord smells like if a batch of raw oranges was left to decompose on a leather seat in a car in 100 degree heat...weird, but interesting. The moss-birch laden base reaches your nostrils filtered through a veil of orange oil.

CdO is definitely worth a try. Its more of an oakmoss-dominant fragrance than a leather one. In cooler weather, the moss base is more prominent (thus Cdo smells drier), while in warmer weather, the bitter orange top melds well with the moss-birch base to create enticing sillage. This is probably one of the best fragrances from the house of Miller Harris.

tdi's avatar

Fig / Figuier by Ava Luxe

Let me preface this by saying I hate fig, usually. Ava Luxe Fig is different though. The fig is not that nauseating,overripe fig I usually get. Ava Luxe Fig is a slightly ripening fig among fresh, green leaves. If you love green notes and even remotely like fig give this one a try.

thisbekevinn's avatar

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

THis one is very sweet, it starts off strong with the sugar. It really overpowers the Bergamont and Mandrin. A cute kind of man/boy can pull this one off but everyone else should just back away. If you really just want a sweet scent in your wardrobe then go for it, it's only $35 for a 1.7oz at Nordstroms!! A deffinite try before you buy! It has little sillage and the longness is about 2 hours on me.

ruby3's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

It is very heady but has a fresh clean tone as well. It reminds me of candy and flowers and rain. I use just a few drops and that does the trick. This is super strong. It would give me a headache if I applied it the same way I do, say, my Terra Nova Water Petals, which is light as can be and has no staying power. Love Amarige. It is a great value; a little goes a long way!

Kevin Guyer's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Yes, it's as dry as a bone that's been sitting in the sun for a thousand years. The opening notes of incense do not prepare you for the driest, sandalwood dry down on the planet. I love this one.

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

The openings notes are a big wow! But it dries down to something close to Pinesol.

Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

I don’t care for C & E’s Sandalwood. Sandalwood can be lovely, mysterious, and evocative; but this one has an aggressive take on that scent. This has a heavy wood-bark vibe and is very soapy in a pungent, rubbery-sharp, industrial-cleanser type of way. It is good for clearing the sinuses I suppose, or inflicting torture on friends and self! This seems one-dimensional, and I can’t find anything to even faintly praise. The spices (probably coriander) which should be good are poorly done, too heavy, and are not nuanced at all.

Capucci pour Homme by Roberto Capucci

I came to Capucci pour Homme with high expectations. The reviews below compare it favorably to Eau Sauvage and Armani pour Homme, two of my favorite fragrances. Further, I appreciate a good moss note in some fougeres. I was disappointed in this one. The citrus which is high in ES and ApH is very, very low in CpH, almost miniscule. Believe me, I know ES and ApH very well, this is nothing like either of those excellent scents. Further, this does not have a sparking green moss scent like the superb Penhaligons English Fern or Trumpers Wild Fern. CpH emits a tough, brackish-brown scent reminiscent of the obnoxious Aqua di Selva or the wizzened and leathery Azzaro. Uggh. The dry-down mellows a bit, and intermittent nice notes emerge, but generally it has a heavy, dull, powdery finish. Peace be unto its fans, this one is not for me.

Chevalier d'Orsay by D'Orsay

I have revised my review. In the earlier note, I was working off a sample, and talked impressionistically of "burnished gold tones." Now I have a bottle, and a different take. Chevalier has a beautiful citrus-spice-herb opening. It is a complex scent, with so many ingredients. The middle is a dusty sort of spice, light and airy. The middle is not sweet, but there are florals and a restrained sort of powdery aspect. The base has pine and a dry incense note. The base is very dry and airy: cool, aloof, very intriguing. This is dry and light enough to wear during the day. It is interesting and complex with character, so it is also suitable for evening wear.

22 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2008)

Nomad / Moroccan Myrrh by Crabtree & Evelyn

Crabtree & Evelyn’s Nomad sounds exotic and smells banal. It is sweet, a bit cloying, and one-dimensional. You will search in vain for crisp ginger or citron; mellow sandal- or teakwood is likewise missing in action. I don’t know if this nomad will find many homes.

Quartz pour Homme by Molyneux

Quartz pour Homme is a restrained yet interesting scent. It is not expensive but shows very well. Note: to the fragrance notes add (top, apple) and (mid, moss). The apple opening is a bit fruity but not problematic. The clove spice is restrained and warms this up a bit. Everything is well blended, and what we have here is a classy, crisp, professional, white-shirt presentation. I agree completely with KR’s astute comments about QpH being discreet, intellectual and conservative. Lovely mossy notes emerge in the dry-down. I like this very much! For some reason this is what I thought Swiss Army would be like, but was disappointed in SA. QpH is a somewhat obscure find which I will really enjoy coming back to time and again to savor its cool and subtle charms.

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

I came to C & E’s Sienna with very high expectations, and came away disappointed. I agree with the elements identified in the reviews below, but differ in my assessment of them. “Sweet beeswax” – definitely; for me it is oppressive, cloying, and ruins the other components. “Leather” - absolutely. I like well-made and balanced leathery scents such as the excellent Hermes Equipage or the superb Chevalier D’Orsay. Those are true classics of that style. However, I find that Sienna has a ponderous, almost coconut-leathery aspect that quickly becomes very, very irritating. “Spices” are there but are nothing remarkable. Every once in a while I get a sense of lovely things, things I could enjoy if the focus of this scent wasn’t so strong and its style so muddled. I want to like it but can’t. I admire the eloquent comments below far more than the product they describe!

tmgp24's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

jicky was made in 1889 and in 1925 mr.guerlain added synthetic vanilla to it and called it shalimar.