Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Autumn by Madini

Autumn is described as a blend of Arabian spices. It starts with a bit of lemon peel then sweet, ground spices. It is calmer, lighter, and less intensely sweet than Serge Lutens Arabie. I find it fruity, almost candylike, and very youthful.

Azahar by Madini

Azahar is an orange blossom fragrance, but it incorporates an unusual herbal aroma to create an almost dry, soapy, clean presentation. The best part is a musty, resinous base note that elevates this fragrance beyond the typical sweetness that dominates most orange-blossom scents. This note is commonplace in Eastern fragrance/cuisine, yet it will impress us as bold and unique. It is one of my favorites in the whole line. All natural ingredients, skillfully blended, in the Arabic tradition.

Chipre by Madini

One of the unusual, exotic, un-sweet fragrances in the Madini line. This one comes out of the bottle dark green-black in color. It is sharp, tangy, clean, dry, warm, very earthy, and somewhat green. To me, it smells nothing like its description as a woody, musky, floral; rather more like green twigs and spruce needles and benefits from time to develop on the skin.

Hanane by Madini

Do not look for any sweetness in this fragrance, which is a highly unusual offering from Madini's line of traditional Arabian perfumes. Hanane smells like nothing you have ever smelled before. The dark, reddish liquid is strong, pungent, deep, salty, mossy, complex, bittersweet, redolent of dried leaves, and very woody. It is described as a Balsamic composition with a long list of ingredients including, galbanum, tuberose, red rose, jasmine, clove, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, and musk, but it smells like none of these. The development is clever, and it becomes more attractive as you wear it, ending up smelling very outdoorsy, natural, and compelling.

Henna by Madini

Don't be mislead by the name of Henna. It is the henna flower that is featured, not the powdered leaves used for dye. This is a highly likeable, fruity (apple/mango), sweet, honeyed flower similar in some ways to Nag Champa. It is a thoroughly enjoyable fragrance.

Maderas de Oriente by Madini

An unusual, dry scent in the Arabian tradition, offering little or no sweetness but strangely beautiful. Maderas de Orient is a great cedar fragrance, bittersweet, deep, well-blended, soft (but strong), and woody with a dusty finish. The notes feature Atlas cedar, Oriental woods, and Moroccan blossoms with hardly a touch of sweetness and very rewarding development on the skin.

Mokhalate Malaki by Madini

One of Montale's unusual array of Eastern fragrances, Mokhalate Malaki is listed as an oud-chypre-rose-saffron fragrance, but it defies this description. There is a bitter, herbal, woody opening from the oud, followed by a green, fresh rush of "rain", a tangy rose, watery lotus, and perhaps a pungent flower like lilac. Must be tried on the skin to appreciate its unique beauty.

Olive Flowers by Madini

This is one of my favorite fragrances in the Madini line. Olive Flowers features a gorgeous, vanillic amber, citrus, and resin (frankincense and opoponax) and is billed as "Mr. Madini's answer to Shalimar." My first impression is of dried fruits, such as candied citrus peel, dark spices, and the woody, leathery, vanilla and lemon powder of Shalimar, so warm, and mysterious. If you want to try an all-natural, reasonably priced pure parfum with a wonderful amber base, give it a try.

Salma by Madini

Salma is described as an ancient Saudi blend of spices and amber. It is spicy, fruity, airy, and clean. The best part is a truly fascinating spicy peach or melon in the base--even though it is not listed as a note. One of favorite Madini oils.

Santal Blanc by Madini

Santal Blanc was the most unexpected fragrance among a group of Madini samples that I tried. Billed as sandalwood "nothing more, nothing less" it is light, dry, pungent, non-sweet, and earthy. If this is what real sandalwood smells like, I have received an education. It is too plain for me to conceive of as a fragrance in and of itself, but it does have its own simple elegance.

Soulimane by Madini

This is one of Madini's unusual dry, spicy, citrusy scents. Soulimane is a complex mix of sunny, dry, lemony, fresh ingredients that impress me as clean, soapy, and spicy, like the esteemed Etro Shaal Nur, which recalls the freshness of a man's shaving kit. The list of ingredients is long, including artemesia, coriander, citron, cinnamon, jasmine, clove, carnation, amber, and vanilla.

Caltha's avatar

Bois d'Iris by Different Company

The iris note reminds me of violet: cool, green and powdery. I can see how this might be a beautiful, ethereal, springlike floral, but I don't really fancy it. I find it a bit artificial, a bit "shower product fresh" with a tiny bit of musty, plasticky sweetness added.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Monsieur Worth by Worth

With all due respect and despite my penchant for vintage scents, I find this one to be terribly dated - suffocatinly heavy, linear and fusty. The dominant woody note is that of a musty chest drawer in an abandoned house. Although born in the heyday of flower power, this Monsieur would make a perfect signature frag for a film noir character: a ten-cent lawyer or a down-and-out private eye in a scuzzy hat swishing Jack Daniels in a dingy uptown dark-paneled office that knew better times. Ugh

Stockholm's avatar

Gianfranco Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

I absolutely adore this fragrance, not only for the memories of encounters in the past, but also for its wonderful composition of very light and delicate florals. I quite suitable scent for a classy young woman, far away from many of today's bublegum fragrances. Very innocent, a little flirty and definitely a lot of class!

mikeperez23's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

The opening notes reminded me incredibly of Calyx by Prescriptives (a fragrance I love) - grapefruit and green grass notes. However unlike Calyx it transforms into a boring (not tart) apple scent that transforms again into a fruity/floral blah scent. OK longevity and strong sillage.

I layer it with Burning Leaves by CBIHP and it's wonderful, though.

luky's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Rush by Gucci

Incredible amazing smell. As a man, I can tell you this is my absolutely favorite perfume for woman.

Not many women wear it. I don't really know what it is but any time I smell someone wearing rush I turn my head.

Definetely thumbs up.

bespassport's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A definate two thumbs up, as it's the only scent that makes me weak at the knees. I can see how people might not like the opening notes, however, it fades so quickly it's almost not worth mentioning. I found it easy to handle during the time it took to develop into the warmer, wood notes.

The rest can only be described as pure sophistication, warm, and comforting. Although its described as an evening scent, it's appropriate for the workplace.

It's not an overpowering scent; you would have to be within a reasonable distance of the person to smell it, but when you do, you end up moving closer to keep catching a hint of it.

Carl999's avatar

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Jovan Musk is okay, I guess...

I have always enjoyed wearing fragrances - even when I was about eight years old, and even before that, I remember asking my Dad before he went to work "can I PLEASE use some Lagerfeld?", " can I use some Fahrenheit?", "can I use some Eau Sauvage?" or, believe it or not "can I use some Aramis?"...Yes, I know, for an eight year old, that was a bit excesive.

A short while after, I went through a 'dry' period where I didn't bother with cologne for about three or four years. But then, when I was turning twelve, My mum asked "Is there anything special you have in mind for a present, honey?" And I said "Can I have some cologne?" At which mum said "okay, we'll see."

About two days later, I went to do the groceries withmy mum at the Shopping Crntre, where we visited the perfumery. My mum said "just wait out here, I'm just going to duck in for a sec..." I knew what she was up to, and I over-heard her ask the sales assistant if they had anything that would suit a 12 year old boy.

Lo and behold, on my birthday a week later, I recieved a Jovan Musk gift set, with cologne spray, deoderant stick and body spray, along with three Nintendo 64 games (keep in mind, this is eight years ago). I wore it every day until I ran out five months later. I haven't worn it since, but I remember very well it's soapy-flowery-citrusiness, nestled on a light-but-loud muskiness...The smell itself was 'faltering-' or 'uneasy-' smelling, but pleasant enough, and easily adaptable to a very diverse age range...the one thing, other than the fact that I remember the fragrance itself was 'stable', if that's how it can be put, neither on clothing, nor skin, that I didn't like, was a weak, but persistent "sweaty", but never body-odour-like presence.

This aside, and despite it's 'generic' smell and sillage, it was a nice enough fragrance, and nowadays, esily affordable. But I'm not sure I'd ever go back to it, though...My nose has become a lot more sophisticated...Even if there is that semintimental/nostalgic connection, with Jovan Musk being my first fragrance that I OWNED...

Carl999's avatar

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

I smelled this in the perfumery section of a Chemist (Drug Store), in the cheapie section, opposite to where all the good stuff was placed in display cabinets, and thought that it reminded me of a smoother, less peppery/headache-provoking, and much softer, slightly Lagerfeld Classic-/Passion for women-like version of Pierre Cardin...Yes, that describes it best, to me at least - especially regarding Passion for women...In fact, I purchased it, but two days later, when applying it in my bathroom, I dropped the bottle, the glass of which went everywhere, and the inexpensive but seemingly precious orange liquid trickled down the drain...

I was disappointed by my own means. I then, with the last of my pocket money (this is at age twelve) went out to get some more, but saw they they'd sold out and out a sign up explaining that they would no longer be retailing anything in the Jovan line...

To you people who have smelled this fragrance quite recently, you may have different oppinions, but this is based on what I remember from alomst eight years or so ago...

Aleah77's avatar

Woodhue by Fragrances of France

I wore this perfume as a teenager. It's a wonderful warm fruit fragrance that works well in the fall and winter months especially. I used to spray it on my sweaters. Glad to hear they still make it.

corisande's avatar

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A masculine, dandish fragrance with a huge hint of seductivity. For the self confident only.

Hex_queen's avatar

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I like it, it would not be annoying for work. I work in a cube-farm where everything is scentless and grey. So (some) scents become amplified, cloying or embarrassing especially if some prissy uppper-manager goes by.

I smelled the anise on initial application, but that faded to more vanilla, cedar and chocolate. It seems discreet, sexy, something to please the personal wearer.
    I don't know of any smell-alikes, but always like to know about them.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Why would you waste $200 on Green Irish Tweed, when you can get Cool Water for $28 on the internet. I suppose this line of fragrance is a mere status symbol and for those of us (I wish) who can just throw money away, like movie star and Royalty. Boy, doesn't Creed squeeze the $$$ out of those two groups. In my opinion, ALL Creed fragrances have an underlying note that is similar. These fragrances are just TOO highly priced, and besides what people on the street are going to notice the alleged more complex GIT than Cool Water. I bet if you took a poll, most people would prefer the Cool Water. Anyway, Creed apparently appeals to the wealthy, and Creed is gonna "milk" that segment of society for all it's worth. I betcha the ingredients in a bottle of GIT are only worth a couple of dollars and they're charging $200 for it. I'll stick to my Givenchy and Yves St. Laurent fragrances--they're way superior to Creed, in my opinion, that is. Also, I have noticed that most Creed fragrances have a "stale" note about them. Sorry, Creed, but in my opinion you're just a status symbol fragrance charging outlandish prices for fragrances that should cost no more than $40 a bottle. I would think people would cringe to think of spending $200 on a bottle of fragrance. In fact, every time I've worn a Creed fragrance I've NEVER gotten noticed or complimented. However, when I would wear any YSL or Givenchy fragrance (Insense, Kouros, Jazz, Givenchy Gentleman, Xeryus, YSL Haute Concentration PH, Opium, etc.), I ALWAYS get compliments. I would rather spend $200 on 6 bottles of Givenchy Gentleman than one bottle of ANY Creed fragrance. Oh, well, just my opinion, but Cool Water is just as good as GIT, if not better.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

If you like Tabarome, you'll LOVE Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga. It is slightly spicier but still has that strong underlying tobacco note. Actually I LOVE Cristobal and prefer this over Tabarome. Also, why spend $180 for a bottle of Tabarome, when you can purchase Cristobal for as low as $27 on the internet. It is just as strong and, in my opinion, smells just a tad better than Tabarome. Seems to have more character and body than Tabarome. Although Tabarome is nice, it can at times have quite a chemical smell about it. Choose Cristobal--you won't be sorry!

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I bought this today, really enjoyed it. To me it's nothing like Le Male, i'm sure they may share the same base but on the whole it's quite a different scent. The first spray is like a big whiff of pollen, which I think some people aren't going to like, the only other thing I really smell is tyres. Very odd, but on the whole a very interesting fragrance.

zztopp's avatar

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Notes:

Top: Bergamot
    Heart: Cypress, Galbanum
    Base: oakmoss, ambergris, musk

Originally created for french actor Maurice Chevalier in 1948, Cypres-Musc (CM) is a gritty, manly yet at the same time beautiful fragrance.

While most cypress, cedar or juniper dominated scents come off as one dimensional and incomplete, CM succeeds because of its brilliant rendition of a high quality cypress note. The cypress is allowed to showoff with minimal interference by complementary notes. It’s obvious from the get go, and is punctuated by hints of citrus and herbal notes to create a refreshing coniferous experience without being too lumberjack. When drydown approaches, the cypress has mellowed in intensity, and a “green” musk with layers of moss indicates that its time to stop hunting deer and head home and relax infront of the fireplace.

So why the neutral rating? (Creed) Epicea. While based on the essence of Russian pine, I feel that Epicea overlaps with certain characteristics of CM. To my nose, pine and cypress share some olfactory vibrations. While less piney than Epicea, there is a certain degree of similarity between the two. Epicea renders a realistic pine note supported by clove and spices while CM is more categorical in its execution. Part of the private collection CM is also far more expensive, and hard to come by in 2.5 oz. bottles. Epicea, being an EDT, can be had for much less. With that said, if you are looking for one of the most exquisite cypress notes in perfumery, CM is a must try.

Caltha's avatar

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

Before I smelled the real thing I had a cheap perfume oil dupe, and I think it was a good one too, because it only had a stronger cherry note but otherwise captured the odd, not-quite-sweet powderiness of Luctor et Emergo. I think LeE reminds me mostly of Eau des Merveilles, another scent I don't "get". They're both powdery and dry with a sort of stale bitterness I think to many people come off as "salty". The salty/sweet atmosphere is a bit Play-doh-ish, yes. Play-doh or maybe marzipan that's very heavy on the bitter almond and very light on the sugar, but compensates for the lack of sugar with some sweet vanilla. LeE has some green grass thrown in too, and the combination of green notes and powdery sweetness reminds me of Geir. As far as I'm concerned, Geir might be "Luctor et Emergo for him". I'd rather wear Geir.

sshak13's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I like the top and base notes, but the middle notes are horrible. Does smell like oil dripping from a extremely fast ferrari.

TaoLady's avatar

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Based on the previous - and other BN mentions - I invested in this unlikely (for me) scent and am thrilled. Beachy without the curse of sun-tan lotion overcast, light hearted and fruity with pretty good sillage and better longevity than most light scents. I "bring them out" so I got a lot of the orange flower and orchid notes.

TaoLady's avatar

Mango by Madini

On me this opened with a whiff of citrusy green and then bloomed into a flowery fruit that is more apricot than mango. Nicely underscored with what I think is frankincense, it is overall breezy and light and not very long lasting for a perfume oil. (Couple of hours.) Good companion for a summer day!