Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Shadow by Madini

This opened as a "shadowy" fougere with a bit of smoke and a hint of leather. Smooth underpinnings of - ambergris?

A "quality" frag - reminds me in the best way of how my Granddady - The Counselor - smelled. Vests and watch fobs and bespoke shoes....leather wing chairs, haze of smoke...

Sun by Madini

This is a walk through the canvases of Monet in South of France. Lavender, bay, rosemary - with woods and herbs. Beautifully composed, "tres raffinee" - definite must for me for Spring.

Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent

My girlfriend bought NU EdP the other day and since I am the perfume enthusiast in our relation, I looked in on the sight to se what is being said about it… And to my great surprise, there is a discussion going on wether this is a unisex fragrance or not… I know that many Americans find us Europeans a little queer and that is alright, but we definitely need to draw the line somewhere here… NU meaning “naked” in French is an almost overly feminine scent, which is so archetypical to female floral evening fragrances, that would I ever meet a man in a narrow alley wearing this, one has to wonder if you did not take a wrong turn somewhere. In a time of breaking the classical gender boundaries, sure you might find someone wearing this, but I definitely think that would be an anomaly, even in France (in spite of what can be said about the French men in general).
    The EdP NU from YSL epitomizes what is so unique about the French women – their incredible skill of bringing out their femininity, elegance and sophistication. This is not something to be worn in the office, nor in a crowded place if you do not want to cause people nausea – but instead in an ambient soiree where you want to accompany some outstandingly elegant threads with the right fragrance and definitely with some skin showing... Unmistakably feminine, elegant and wonderful!

cafelavena's avatar

Pur Désir de Gardenia by Yves Rocher

I love this because it smells exactly like a real gardenia: lightly creamy and sweet floral with a tinge of spicy greenness. However, it has almost no sillage and very poor longevity on me. It is very inexpensive though, so you can reapply often.

Weekend for Women by Burberry

I REALLY like this one, very, very much. My friend had it, I sniffed it, and it was love at first sniff.

Unlike some other reviewers, I didn't think it was very sweet at all (or maybe it's because I really like sweet scents -- I worship at the altar of Ginestet Botrytis). It was classy without being stodgy, almost like it took the traditional "classic" perfume smell and added a new, younger twist. The staying power is extraordinarily long, but not cloying, and it will stay on you softly. If you wanna have your perfume last the entire day, this is the one to choose.

I feel this could work year-round, as it has enough power to last through a winter day without evaporating completely.

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Musky and sweet, inoffensively generic, certainly not very distinctive or unique. It smells comforting like lounging about your house in your underwear, and it's always perfect for a last-ditch effort when you have NO IDEA what to wear, fragrance-wise. I'm hesitating between a neutral and a thumbs up, but I rather like this BECAUSE of its musky generic quality, so thumbs up.

cK one by Calvin Klein

I came pretty late onto the perfume enthusiast bandwagon, so when I finally knowingly smelled this, it reminded me strongly of something... parts of my childhood? Well, now I know that it's because everyone was wearing it back in the 90s. So for this first-time smeller, I really enjoyed it. Smells pretty smooth, well-mixed, easygoing. It's something casual I would wear when I'm dressed in sweatpants and a tee shirt, and am not trying to impress with all my unusual niche scents.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really wanted to like this one so much. From all the reviews and from the name of it... passage to hell... mmm... so I got a decant off eBay.

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. Maybe it's just my body chemistry (sweet scents cling to me very well), but this smells extraordinarily soapy to me, pungent, detached, and not particularly sexy. For some reason I am reminded of the smell of sweat, and not in a good way. Grr, I really wanted to like this so much! Drat.

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

Lovely! It's sweetly floral on me, and slightly powdery. I feel this would be appropriate for all ages, but it's a semi-formal to formal scent. Florals are strange on me -- some can be very heavy and dead-flower smelling -- but this one very much smells like living flowers (or at least fresh flowers in a vase). It's a very delicate, classy and distinct smell, and smells artistic and "expensive" (haha) like a beautiful Renaissance painting.

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

I really wanted to like this, but after getting a decant, I'm not so thrilled. The pepper and lime peel scent reminds of of the condiments you put on food (but it doesn't remind me of food!), and it really, really comes on strong. After a while, those drop off to the background. The Iso E Super is nice in its smooth, warm scent, and is one of those memory-invoking smells. However -- and I don't know why -- I started getting vaguely nauseous from smelling this. I think it's because I was very turned off by the top notes.

Overall, however, it's a unique, challenging and intriguing scent (I can imagine others being intrigued by it as you walk past and they get a whiff of your frag) and it's good for a try because it's probably unlike anything else out there. I suggest getting a decant to test it out first.

After My Own Heart by Ineke

This is a perfect scent for spring, and I absolutely love it. It's amazingly fresh, light, and youthful, without being juvenile. When I smell this, I am reminded of a field of fresh flowers (NOT a bouquet of flowers, mind you -- a field of fresh flowers) swaying in the breeze, under a clear blue sky. It reminds me of new beginnings, happiness, and hope. With all of the not-unusual notes, this scent smells familiar, but at the same time, it has been mixed in a way that it also smells unique. I got a sample (now almost used up!) from Ineke.com, and am planning to get the full bottle soon. It's really lovely.

Ineke has made 3 more perfumes (2 for gals, 1 for guy), and this one is my favorite.

Chemical Bonding by Ineke

Hrm... I'm not too wild about this one. It smells bright and fresh, but it also smells like citrus-scented cleaning solution. The drydown leaves me with a slightly bitter scent -- perhaps the peony?

I feel like Ineke always straddles the fine line between really amazing fresh and sparkling scents, and scents that remind me of cleaning solution. After My Own Heart comes out gloriously, but Chemical Bonding unfortunately falls to the other side.

Aside from that, this scent is not particularly offensive, and does have good lasting power, along with all her other perfumes. I'm giving it a thumbs neutral for the fact that it strays much too close to the scent of Windex for my comfort.

Frank108's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Eternity is an important instance of a "try before you buy fragrance," in my opinion.

There is an ingredient or a combination of ingredients that give Eternity an over the top annoying smell. I as well as others who have reviewed Eternity find this aroma repuslive, even to the point of causing headache and nausea! (In my case just one spritz to one wrist.)

And I will certify it's power and longevity. That one spritz annoys for hours unless you can wash it off. Being cuirous about the power and populality I tried it a couple of times before making my final assessment: It reeks.

I guess it goes to show that exploring fragrances means that a sensitive nose requires a strong stomach.

You have been warned, but if your just starting out, don't stay away just becuase I and others are repelled, obivously other really like this fragrance.

Go figure!

tessera's avatar

Halloween by J del Pozo

I agree with madridbatabid: "soft crisp floral fruity aquatic." Unfortunately, I also agree wtih VintageVogue. While I actually like aquatic florals, I certainly don't want to pay this kind of money for a scent that reminds me of the mall. On my skin, it becomes exactly like all the other 'cookie cutter' (thanks, VintageVogue) perfumes out there: Curve, that purple stuff from Icing (yes, I like cheap perfumes, too, sorry, ladies)and the like. With the descriptions I've been reading, I expected to find something more deeply layered and rich. This ain't it. Summer girly scent? Yup. That's the one.

Carl999's avatar

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

Nice as an everyday fragrance. I do indeed find that it has a resemblence to baby powder, but not on a level that everyone else here seems to claim.

I really don't think that the baby powder is all too strong in this fragrance, and nor is it ever present in such a way that at any given moment smeeling Baby Blues Jeans, from it top notes to it base notes, will a passer-by say "what's that baby powder smell?", or anything like that.

I much, much prefer this one to the regular Blue Jeans - why, you may ask? Well, Blue Jeans has a sweetness that I find hard to describe - it's not the usual sort of sweetness that one considers when describing a sweet fragrance; it's like that sort if shampoo/hand wash/cheap women's body spray sweetness...And also the way tonka and vailla are tooled into it...just not very appealing - this is done in a way such that it gives a sickly Vanilla Coke smell on top of whatever the other notes are.

This one is much better, easy wearing, easy to obtain, and no where near as many University students wear it as much as they wear the regular Blue Jeans...All in, all, a perfectly acceptable everyday fragrance for the guys.

Carl999's avatar

Blue Jeans by Versace

Well, Blue Jeans has a sweetness that I find hard to describe - it's not the usual sort of sweetness that one considers when describing a sweet fragrance; it's like that sort if shampoo/hand wash/cheap women's body spray sweetness...And also the way tonka and vailla are tooled into it...just not very appealing - this is done in a way such that it gives a sickly Vanilla Coke smell on top of whatever the other notes are. I think its the violette and nutmeg - I love nutmeg, but if it is in anything else other than a minute doseage in a fragrance, it gives me a headache.

Plus, EVERYONE at my university wears it...because a decent size bottle can be purchased for $20 (AUD).

_R$_ SUMMED IT UP VERY WELL...

DeepOcean's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Just got the long awaited Virgin Island Water yesterday. A truly unique scent, though not as deep or complex as some other Creeds.

A citrusy opening is all but gone in fifteen minutes to become a coconut and sweet musky scent. The middle notes remind me of many of the popular "sweet male/unisex fragrances" that are on the market today, except that it has coconut in it, and lots of it! Sometimes it reminds me of Malibu coconut rum, one of my favorite drinks! I hope people around me won't think that I'm an alcoholic everytime I wear Virgin Island Water!

After a few hours, the dry-down becomes a musky vanilla and the coconut is a lot less perceivable.

Longevity is good, especially considering that I did not think that it was possible to make the smell of coconut last so long in a fragrance.

This will become an instant success, because for the first time, Creed has followed the trend that is the "sweet male/unisex freagrance". But at the same time, it has stayed unique by adding coconut to the infusion and as with all Creeds, it smells so natural, not artificial like many other scents on the market.

Not as stunning or unique as my beloved Original Vetiver and Himalaya(my signature summer and winter scents), but still a great fragrance both in summer and winter. If you love coconut, which many people seem to, don't delay, get a bottle now!

daisycom's avatar

Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc

Love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love ....... can't type how much I love this fragrance. Needs no discussion or dissection for me, I just simply enjoy the perfection every time I wear it.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Vie Privée by Yves Rocher

One of the smoothtest, unfamiliar and rich ( yet also discreet) florals i ever knew. Unfortunately discontinued, it would have still been capable to serve the distinguished, fashion- conscious female population in a way that would have left the male population breathless with admiration.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Hoggar by Yves Rocher

Rich, stylish and long lasting. Smells like a fresh Oriental, like a very traditional formula reworked in order to be less cluttered and lighter. The opening is marine, yet not a synthetic watery, the drydown has an ambery, almost leathery warmth, reminescent of Tuscany or Sienna plus the advantageous cost factor- being both moderately priced and long lasting, theregfore twice a bargain.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

My fave of all the Garden of Stars collection (along side the Rose Angel). It's spicey, sexy and pretty, all the things that Angel should be! Also, i'm surprised that noone has mentioned how beautiful the Garden of Stars bottles are, they really are striking!!

Caltha's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the chypriest chypre of all? Well, Y is pretty darn close. Some nose-tickling, powdery aldehydes over lots of oakmoss and a cuminy hint of animalic notes and hardly any florals. Dense and heavy and dark green. I can definitely see how many might find this musty and old-fashioned (I certainly would not long ago) but I just love the juice.

mohamed1's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

i received a sample of this yesterday. although my initial reaction was somewhat favorable, it developed into an extremely horrid scent, something akin to cheap scents+dishwashing liquid or something. simply horrendous.

sshak13's avatar

Pasha by Cartier

i love the lavender and mint. IT is for older people. i love it, and i love the bottle even more. i love cartier

Ambargris by Madini

A brown viscous liquid that opens on a note of medicinal echinacea and takes an hour to develop into THE most sensuous, smoky amber that is almost edible. Sexy and extremely female - this will definitely join my Winter stable!!

Four Seasons by Madini

A beautifully composed white floral with honeyed undertones of lilac and herbs. It takes a while to develop, but when it does it flowers on that "luxe" base particular to the Madinis that I have tried and that is so missing in many modern 'fumes. In my never humble opinion. Very classy.

machula's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane

after a while i revisited our local l'occitane shop and decided to sample all the neroli/orange fragrances they had. lately, i've been a sucker for all stuff neroli/orange, although some people hate neroli (say it makes them nauseated) and oranges too (who wants to smell like damn oranges?), i love it; it's positive, uplifting, light yet seductive and deep. my first spriz was their latest addition - ruban d'orange, smells happy, sunny, just like oranges. the second one i sampled was l'eau d'oranger (although the shop assistant told me last fall that this was is discontinued, they still have a considerable number of bottles here in europe, so who knows), this was something in between, neroli and orange, definitely the most 'masculine' of the three. while ruban settled into sweet amber, oranger still retained a somewhat sharp, crisp edge that would not go away, somehow salty and a tad bitter to me (no wonder, it's an 'oranger'). a strictly linear affair, but still, i like it. the third one was the neroli edp, dark, resinuous liquid, immediately after application, it was a blast. i thought, oh boy, is this strong, almost overpowering. but then, it settled and evolved into a very smooth, seductive fragrance, the neroli flower mingled with something sweet (vanilla? tonka bean?), which made it perfect. as previously said, applied judiciously, it's heavenly. the lasting power of all three is good, and as a matter of course, all three are different. i think i'm going to buy all of them ;)

Guess Man by Guess

Surprisingly many seem to be very positive towards this fragrance... Had a smell on it today when passing by the local department store... My opinion is hence; that's the perfect place for it, since it is not a sophisticated, surprising and convincing tonic to use when you are in the mood to make a statement, but rather a quite bleek blend that you should wear when you expect the neighbours wife to say "oh that smells nice...". Personally I have higher demands, other target groups and seek a higher level of sophistication when chosing my fragrance for the day or evening, or to express my current mood.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Oooh is this a weird scent or what...? First of all, why is called "Blue"...? I get no blue vibes here and I have tried many blue scents before. Maybe rather leaning towards green, since the wood notes are so dominant in this fragrance. The only scent that I can come to think of with this much wooded notes is one from Hugo Boss. I also read that some find this to be a unisex scent... I can't really see that, unless you are the boyfiend of a wood chucker... I can see how all this does not seem too positive when it comes to grading these fumes, but I can't help, it is appealing in some sort of weird manner, noting I would wear, but maybe something that I would sniff from time to time... Another notion comes to mind, how is this scent working in Japan...hmmm...can see how the original IM is brilliant on this level, but this is more suitable for a Canadian lumber jack or like myself a Norse Viking...where the need for a mosquito repellent is imminent...or can come in handy when you need to leave a scent trail for a search party in the great woods...

Wavering's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This fragrance intrigued me from the second I heard about it. The list of notes appealed to me a great deal (Top notes are listed as Black Truffle, Ylang, Bergamot and Black Current, the middle notes mix dark floral with dark fruits, and the base notes are listed as patchouli, incense, vetiver and warm vanilla). It sounded dark enough to capture my attention. When I finally got my hands on a sample my initial reaction wasn't altogether positive. I found that first spray very strong and overpowering. After a few minutes, however, I was in love. It is dark, it is exotic, and it has a definitive licorice scent on my skin. I would not recommend this fragrance for the meek at heart. It is bold and seductive. An added bonus is that the bottle is stunning!