Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

linnea's avatar

Songes by Annick Goutal

This is an amazing fragrance. I adore it. It is gorgeous, voluptuously rich, and very feminine.

The limited Baccarat edition is a revival of a 1920's art deco bottle that originally inspired the creation of Annick Goutal's Songes moon bottle.

• Top notes: Frangipani flowers combined with tiare and jasmine.
    • Heart notes: Incense, vanilla, copahu balm, pepper, and ylang-ylang absolute.
    • Base notes: Vetiver, sandalwood, amber, and styrax.

Stockholm's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Santos Eau de Sport by Cartier

Absolutely incomprehensible, why they stop making many of the best fragrances ever... Othher examples are Cerruti Pour Homme and Giorgio di Beverly Hills (both the regular and VIP), that are all master pieces in the their own right, but hélas...no more! If you ever stumble across this fragrance, stop and give it 30 minutes to put its spell on you...fore this is how a real man's sport fragrance should smell. A power smell both on the court, in the locker room and with the ladies in the sports bar... Game, set and match!

scentsitivity's avatar

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Bois de Cédrat has a powerful lemon opening, rich and vibrant. The base is a very elegant cedar, however quite subtle. Too subtle: I have to bury my nose into my wrist to enjoy it to any extent. I originally gave this a thumbs up on about a half dozen trials from sample vials. Subsequently, I bought a bottle, which I chose to part with. The problem is that beyond the opening it offers too little. If the woods were more pronounced, this would be very interesting to me still. So I revise my rating to neutral.

26th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 28th April, 2008)

deeperthought's avatar

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

this really is Balck after the other Black which was more a really really deep green which could be confused for black in the dim light of twilight....
    It is good juice!!

Frank108's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Cool Water comes in a nice bottle, packed in a nice blue box. On first whiff the opens notes reminds me of "Fruit Loops," or fruit flavored hard candy. If it were only a fragarance that smelled like "Fruit Loops," I might actually find Cool Water an amusing olfactory joke, and give it to a young adolscent niece or nephew if I had one. He or she might like it or have a friend that likes it.

In my opinion, Cool Water is just fragrance like Eternity that has the distinctive and unmistakable ozone like note of "synthetic fresh." In this case it is "bound" to a fake fruit scent. As hard as it may be for some of us to fathom, like consumers at large, some Basenoters actually like the dry down smell of "synthetic fresh," even greatly like it, but others like myself find "synthetic fresh," "cheap smelling," distracting, annoying, and disgusting, even to the point of causing headache and nausea.

As I have learned, one needs to just develop and trust one's own nose not trust the marketing hype, the best seller lists, and the recommendations of others and whenever possible, thoroughly "try before you buy."

My recommendation is to try it.

[Note to perfumers: I for one will avoid "synthethic fresh" like the plague because I find it repulsive.]

mochachoc's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I was beginning to despair with the Serge Luten range but Fumerie Turque restores my hope. After sampling Ambre Sultan this is a welcome relief. Fumerie Turque is smoky (and yes with suggestion maybe it is a little like an ashtray but i like it and i dont smoke) It is honeyed smokiness. You kinda need the ashy smoke to remind you the world is not all beautiful. It adds contrast and complexity. I want a bottle.

margi's avatar

Angel Schlesser by Angel Schlesser

As a rule I adore spicy scents, but this is one I simply cannot get along with. it seems to always induce a sickly headache, which other people have commented on. It is sickly and quite cheap smelling, and for the life of me I cannot identify any one particular note. Maybe pepper?? Anyways I would advise to definitely try try try before you buy.

xxerus's avatar

France France

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

GREAT ! No hesitation if you want to smell "different " : this is definitely an anti perfume and you won't smell like if you had used an eau de toilette... You will smell (it is very difficult to describe 'cose this frag is very abstract) "fresh" and "clean" but also... dusty ! I didn't like it at all when I first sprayed it (smells too much like a burnt tire ; luckily this frag goes away pretty fast) but 1 hour after, when it has warmed and developped... !

mert_karaca's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

MJ MEN best fragrance for me ;) COCONUT I LOVE İT..;)

LarkumW's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

I fear they might stop making it because it's something I'd hate to have to live without.

It reminds me of a very glamorous dinner party about twenty years ago where no one said anything off key and everything went smoothly and the food was delightful and everyone was beautiful and sophisticated and impeccably dressed.

I use it when I'm feeling insecure and wired. It helps. The honey and the tobacco and the leather. It evokes strength and competence. Very reassuring.

Elf's avatar

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

I love EaudM and it's become one of my most-worn scents. The Elixir has grown on me. It sounds gourmand but it is not in the sense that Angel or any of the Comptoir scents are gourmand. It's much richer, more heady, with far more intense sillage than EdM. It is NOT a day at the beach. However, it's a worthy companion to EdM and I wear it as an evening scent, as opposed to EaudM, which is strictly a fresh day scent. They are excellent companions.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel is simply legendary, whether you like 'her' or not, you cannot deny that she is a powerful force within the fragrance industry. I personally love Angel and all her counterparts (Innocent and The Garden of Stars). They're sweet, spicy, sexy, earthy (that'll be that patchouli!) and the boys love it :P

mentallo's avatar

Humidor by Demeter Fragrance Library

Pretty disappointing. I get mostly cloves which don't smell like a Humidor at all.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

For me it is one of the best niche fragrance out there. It is green-fresh also warm and smooth. If you wear this scent longer you will recognize that it is more than Cool Water. The lasting power is very good (last the whole day). Best Creed scent and I own 9 different Millésime bottles...point blank.

27th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 04th June, 2008)

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Millésime Imperial is sooo clean and fresh and it got this fruity middle note. One of the best scents ever (with SMW and GIT).

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Silver Mountain Water is like a fresh breeze in the air...is like you walking in the mountain (with snow). Clean Water is running down the hills. One of the best summer scent i ever smelled (try also Bond No. 9 Hamptons). It´s quite the same smell.
    It´s more for the younger people (i think). The next is Virgin Island Water...i can´t wait for this one.

Original Vetiver by Creed

OV smells so good in the spring time. It´s smells like cut grass. It is so fresh and clean. Buy this one in the spring.

Original Santal by Creed

I don´t understand why everybody don´t like OS. Who often wears (GIT, SMW, M.I.) can smell some similarities to creed scents. Every women ask me what i´m wearing...two sprays is engough...this fresh sweet...and the basenote is more vanilla. Not a everyday scent but good

the_good_life's avatar

Epicéa by Creed

Epicéa gives me an outdoors-indoors feeling: in the middle of a winter forest, but not walking throught it. Rather sitting in a log cabin made from pine trees, with a hot pine-wood fire burning in the fireside, spreading a warm, spicy resinous smell that drives out the cold, which you know is out there. And I suppose the top note is having just squeezed some lemon into my Earl Grey. A fragrance for winter or to wear while watching Dr. Zhivago.

the_good_life's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

Smells like watermelons bobbing in the sea,
    Looks like MI dressed in sailorgarb to me
    You might find this heady potion
    Smelling like your favorite ocean
    But beside the pleasant salt
    I just find too many faults
    No these synthy modern Creeds
    They just do not shake my reeds
    From Erolfa I'll retire
    Royal English takes me higher

Tovah's avatar

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

To me, Fire Island is the ungainly monster that Dr.Frankenstein created from my Coppertone suntan lotion childhood memories. It's toooo much; strong, and headache inducing. The worst thing about it, is that it has a note that reminds me of the smell of the lubricant used in doctors' offices. After sniffing a scent strip at the Bond No. 9 counter, I thought Fire Island smelled summery and warm, like orange blossoms and the beach. I sprayed one squirt on my arm and I was stunned at how suddenly it became oppressive. After about 5 minutes it became an extremely heavy, musky, siliconey scent, and the pretty orange blossom note turned into a piercing, unnatrual white floral accord. As luck would have it, I couldn't quell this stuff for anything. At the counter, I sprayed testers over it with nearly every Bond I like. Nothing subdued it, and nothing outlasted it. I smelled Fire Island on my arm for at least 34 hours, even after scrubbing with Noxzema, isopropyl alcohol, coffee grounds, and Zest. This one's not for me.

bluebus's avatar

Morgan de Toi Homme by Morgan de Toi

I dont like this one at all. Its too heavy and seems to have a plastic/metallic smell. By the way, don't try to do what i did and pull off the top, as you snap the pump stem.....

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

My favourite of the scents I've tried from the line. Very true to smoke, but it would be woodsmoke, not necessarily leaves. If it's leaves they're definitely dry - I think I've only smelled the smoke of damp leaves irl, if any. A bit sweetened too.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Gentilhomme by Weil

Typical period fare - a rich aromatic fougere with a generous handful of ingredients and chypre undertones, somewhat similar to Lanvin Monsieur, but simpler in construction and a bit too stuffy and conventional to deserve a place in the Fragrance Hall of Fame.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

MG 5 Lavender by Shiseido

The most un-shiseido Shiseido that I've tried, MG 5 Lavender is a rather straight-forward, zesty and somewhat pungent aromatic-herbal-spicy-fresh number with lavender, bergamot, rosemary, geranium and nutmeg among other ingredients, that could be a long-lost Bogart or a not-so-distant relative of Ho Hang or any other of the dozens of those upbeat brisk male scents of the era. To me, the standout note is the heady dusty-dry spice of a dried flower shop. Certainly not bad as 40-year old scents go, but there are some that have aged better. For serious vintage collectors or Shiseido buffs only.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Dry, black tea, hints of rubber with vanilla.
    Divine and different. Sillage ok
    Quite masculine:)

tvlampboy's avatar

273 Rodeo Drive for Men by Fred Hayman

Funky, Deco-ish bottle on top of a deep, warm, smoky floral scent. The poor man's Antaeus, indeed! Good stuff -- well worth every penny and then some. Perfumania has the best price I've found.

tvlampboy's avatar

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

Everything that foetidus said below -- PERFECT analysis there!

CuyahogaJoe's avatar

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

My first impression was that I received the 1872 for women. One spray and I was enveloped in a cloud of floral essence. I'm glad I only sprayed once because I was on my way to my mechanics shop...smelling like I had just hugged my mother was the only excuse I could think of before I walked in and went directly to the hand cleaner and scrubbed it off.

Now knowing what to expect, I tried it again later that day, I still get very heavy floral (rose and lily) and a slight sage-like note, but the mandarin is completely absent as is the pepper. The longevity was pretty good for a single spray and the dry-down did finally reveal some pepper notes, but the floral never always the lead in the performance.

I would highly recommend this as a feminine fragrance and I'll bet my daughter will love it. If you prefer a more masculine perfume, CC X is a much better initiation to Clive Christian. I'd give 1872 two thumbs up if I could because of it's character, composition and sophistication, but it's just not something I could wear.

CuyahogaJoe's avatar

X for Men by Clive Christian

Really quite incredible. Many of my most resent purchases (at the time of writing this review) have been citrus based fragrances. I didn't know what to expect from X, but it fell pleasantly and surprisingly fell into plan.

The cardamom compliments the bergamot very nicely by reducing or eliminating the sour notes sometime associated with bergamot. This two piece band played for hours until the cardamom tired and was relieved by the cinnamon and cedar where the three played in beautiful harmony. Not long after being joined by cinnamon and cedar, the bergamot finally retired leaving cinnamon and cedar to dry-down into an uncanny resemblance to a Dunhill edition dry-down.

Justifying the cost doesn't concern me. For as often as I would wear X, one bottle should last me the rest of my life and my kids can fight over what's left.