Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Words's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the darker "fresh" scents I've encountered. I think it's the somewhat smokey dry-down that makes it feel this way. I also get the Cola note all the way through, which adds to the darkness. I havent smelled the original M7, but this is a very intriguingly different fragrance.

zenpiper's avatar

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

This stuff is good, but not as good as the Royall Bay Rhum or the St. John's -- both of which seem very potent and authentic. The Clubman seems like a nice, fairly polished, Bay Rum for landlubbers. Not much kick, and it comes in a plastic bottle. Cheap but inoffensive.

Marritza's avatar

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is a great bitter floral with a sparkly zing (the lemon probably) that makes it one-of-a-kind. It is well-balanced and dries down to a soft woodsy-powdery smell, fresh but restrained. One of my top three favorites.

Marritza's avatar

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

I agree with dimplesg - just a pleasant floral scent, nothing special. A good floral combination though - not too sweet but feminine and beautiful.

03rd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 15th August, 2010)

Zupa`Mario's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Full Speed by Avon

Very nice frag,fresh and citrus. To me reminds clinique "happy"

starskyee's avatar

Island Hawaii by Michael Kors

If you are a citrus fan, give this a try. The only citrus scent I own is Happy, and I've learned I really dislike citrus perfumes. So, the best I can say for my review is that it is a fresh citrus scent, quite lemony. To me is smells like furniture polish, but of course, I dislike all things citrus.
    It is not very sweet, I think if it was sweeter, I could tolerate it. The one and only citrus fragrance I like is Tocca Stella. It is nothing like Stella, Stella has the sweetness that I'd need.
    But if you like fresh lemons, give this a try. If not, you might smell furniture polish like I did. Sorry!

dr.Trost's avatar

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Light,very light,for everyday use, non invading, not lasting, refreshing without needing citrus but nothing to be used after sport, non chilling. Quite elegant. A strong,quite character.Not overwhelming but present.
    In fact it is so light that one bottle will last for very, very short time.
    A nice b&w picture, a Debussy piano work,Carla Bruni singing,a stroll in the garden,nostalgic,unfashionable,an older Peugeot,a beautiful house on a hill,water.
    I like it. It's a masterpiece.Buy three.

dr.Trost's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I never use Vetiver (the one I tried is Guerlain's) but bought a bottle of VE after having tried it for few days. A revelation, fresh and lasting, very pleasant slight citrus note. Quite dry, very usable. Other fragrances I used are Creed GIT, Creed Erolfa, Frederic Malle Angeliques sous la plui,Caron Yatagan and Pour un Homme. I believe VE could become a real classic.

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

this is a fresh and light citrus scent for young man.definitely not to compare with eaus sauvage ,sagamore or pour monsieur.nice,simple and ordinary.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

this is hot and sexy-a sweet,warma and sensual scent for a sexy,good looking italian lover with spirit,humour and charisma!Aromatic,modern and a wondeful cologne for the evening- a party night in Rome!!!!!!!!!i prefer it on a younger, masculine and bronzed man.

Encre Noire by Lalique

lalique better known for their outstanding art works-they created f.e. the flacon for nina ricci´s air du temps must have realized one day that launching a perfume is the key to more money.But lalique is definitely not chanel,caron or guerlain!and the great times of outstanding perfumes are over or have you ever found in 2006 something comparable to cuir de russie,tabac blonde,bandit,jolie madame,quadrille etc.etc.???anyway encre noir is presented in a minimalistic nice bottle and the opening of this scent reminds me of comme de carcons pour homme, gucci pour homme-again a perfume similar to what´s already on the market and successful.again a fragrance that is not unique or special-the typical strategy of the century-i am producing a scent that has to and will be sold!
    Encre noir is aromatic,warm and sensual but with a little fresh note ( vetiver)-the feeling of a woody aromatic note mixed up with the fresh and lighter vetiver is nice-one one hand a warm and smooth and on the other hand fresh.The scent reminds me of the smell in a church.....the opening is really promising but the drydown isn´t anymore-the scent is nice and ok but doen´t make you dream or want more.....if you really want more, you wanna feel inspired,seduced then you should have a look a the already above mentinned perfumes.encre noir by lalique is a nice eau de toilette-not less not more and aren´t we all nice??!!

Nicolas V's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Beautiful, strong, masculine, clean...and incredibly powerful. The Greek tragedy of scents, for it was his own strength, the young Kouros, that did him in.

I have nothing to say but wonderful things about Kouros...just don't ever (EVER!) spray more than two shots. One spray out of the shower is excellent and will last you well into the evening.

28 La Pausa by Chanel

Very dry note overall. Perhaps too powdery for most. Interesting but not a easy scent to wear.

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Just tested. Very agreeable and I think it is easy-to-wear for a lady, anytime and any season. Chic and not over-powering. Best of the new additions to the range. Beautiful packaging for the exclusif range, retaining the classic, no-fuss bottle design, but with the magnetic clic detail of the cap to the bottle.

Coromandel by Chanel

Conjures up the atmosphere of Coco's apartment in Paris, to be specific, her living room, with the back-drop of the fabulous black/gold Chinese Coromandel screen. Sophisticated scent, more for the evening. A touch of the mysterious, with a bit of playfulness.

gloomy_liv's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Looking at the notes involved in this, I was interested in trying it out...but as soon as I sprayed it on my wrist...headache!! It's a very strong fragrance - too strong for me. I don't get a good mix of the florals in this - I seem to be getting a strong mix of chamomile and patchouli. Unfortunately, this is definitely not a scent that goes well on my skin...something more like what my mum would wear - she can wear chypres and they smell very nice on her!

Indiscreet's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Burning plastic. Absolutely horrific.

PaulSC's avatar

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This review is currently under revision...

03rd March, 2007 (Last Edited: 12th September, 2009)

Suave's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Adidas Team / Team Force by Adidas

Its pretty good. Rather unique multi-purpose cologne that will go down well on almost any occasion. Reasonably long lasting, inoffensive, clean, suave, and all for a fraction of the price in comparison to bigger names. I discovered it almost by accident- at a friend's house and loved it when i sprayed it on just for the fun of it.

Suave's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

This cologne has very little originality in it, BUT, that having been said, I'm the sort of person who would rather have a good copy than original rubbish. Furthermore, originality is not always equivilant to good. I must say there's nothing bad about this cologne, its almost a remake of the old school. It has a very old fashioned, spicy nutmeg smell (the nutmeg does stand out)fashionable for an English gentleman- the sort of scent you might expect from a house like Roger & Gallet. So I'm rather surprised this is coming from David Beckham (not that I don't like him, I do respect and admire him). But as much as I like this scent, I find myself a little young for it at this point in time (I'm 21). Reccomended if you're in the 40 and over age group.

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

I always return to this perfume. First smelled it where it had been impregnated onto the page of a magazine 17 years ago and loved it. Am always excited when a new perfume is promoted, but am usually dissappointed.
    Don't thin Narcisse is sweet or flowery; its a clever perfume - appearing light at first, and settling down to a distinctive warm, slightly oriental scent. Ben asked by several men what I was wearing.

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

First smelled this at an airport off- duty, and was totally smitten from the first sniff. Its soooo distinctive. You need to like orientals to love this, but its not sharp - a bit like being wrapped in a warm blanket at xmas. It cheers me up whenver I use it. Its availability is not easy - only sold at Harrods and Selfridges. So even better in its originality.

Gold by Donna Karan

ok initially, reminded me of a favorite of mine - Narcisse/Chloe. However, it settled down to a rather ordinary jasmine scent, Not the 'different' perfume I thought it would be.

iStink's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is the first scent I bought after reading what fellow BNers had to say. I wear this to work and is really nice. A clean smell that is anything but bright, the barbershop comments are dead on. I would not call this a sexy frag but a masculine frag. Wear this with confidence and you'll have an attractive prescence. Be warned, you'll loose the scent on you before others will so don't over spray. When you skin gets warm, this juice smells amazing.

Durban's avatar

Spain Spain

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Smoooooth.
    I smell stillness and sobriety.
    I love this stuff. I can only find the olibanum (incense) note in it, but it's really worth it. I close my eyes and can almost picture myself in the middle of a Spanish "paso" de "Semana Santa" (I think the translation for this is "Passion Float", you know, religious figures of Saints, Virgins and Jesus carried by unseen people under a wooden structure along streets filled with quiet people and olibanum fragance). Anyway, a very evocative and holy fragance, but I guess it depends on your cultural and educational background...

tmgp24's avatar

J'Adore by Christian Dior

this used to be my favorite perfume.i got it when it first came out in 1999.the last 2 bottles i bought(within 4 month period)have not smelled right.i brought them back to dillard's and the clerks and manager all said that the perfume smelled sour.i will not be buying it any more.nice thing was they gave me a bottle of miss dior cherie and organza to takes it's place(plus a bunch of samples)

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I ve always loved CH because of the feshness and longevity of her fragances. The first time i smelled 212 at a friends house it pissed my nose off because i felt it too acid when it was still opening, but in a couple of minutes i was so intoxicated (in a good sense) by the smell that i went to get my own bottle. A must buy.

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Ths was my first ever frangrance. I was devoted to it between the age of 16 and 20 or so and for that reason I will always feel fondly towards it. It will alway evoke a special tiime in my life. I wouldn't wear it now if you paid me, though.

maia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

This has got to be the best scent ever! Seriously, I've gone through one 50mL EdT in a blink (gift from my gf) and yesterday went to pick up a 100mL EdT. I didn't even try any other perfume, went right for the 212 Men. I tried the 212 Sexy Men earlier this year, but it wouldn't suit some occasions. I learned how to use 212 though, and this time I won't be wearing it on a everyday basis. It'll be kept for those special moments. It certainly is a remarkable scent, fresh and gives me a lot of confidence. Ladies love it and so do I. And so will you if you try it!
    Regarding longevity, I think people still recognise it after a day and even if you go out at night. Great EdT!

ctbw's avatar

Envy by Gucci

I really like the ginger in this one. Wearing Envy always makes me feel good, and lots of people ask, "What is that cologne? It smells so good!

04th March, 2007