Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

273 Rodeo Drive for Men by Fred Hayman

Funky, Deco-ish bottle on top of a deep, warm, smoky floral scent. The poor man's Antaeus, indeed! Good stuff -- well worth every penny and then some. Perfumania has the best price I've found.

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

Everything that foetidus said below -- PERFECT analysis there!

CuyahogaJoe's avatar
    CuyahogaJoe

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

My first impression was that I received the 1872 for women. One spray and I was enveloped in a cloud of floral essence. I'm glad I only sprayed once because I was on my way to my mechanics shop...smelling like I had just hugged my mother was the only excuse I could think of before I walked in and went directly to the hand cleaner and scrubbed it off.

Now knowing what to expect, I tried it again later that day, I still get very heavy floral (rose and lily) and a slight sage-like note, but the mandarin is completely absent as is the pepper. The longevity was pretty good for a single spray and the dry-down did finally reveal some pepper notes, but the floral never always the lead in the performance.

I would highly recommend this as a feminine fragrance and I'll bet my daughter will love it. If you prefer a more masculine perfume, CC X is a much better initiation to Clive Christian. I'd give 1872 two thumbs up if I could because of it's character, composition and sophistication, but it's just not something I could wear.

CuyahogaJoe's avatar
    CuyahogaJoe

X for Men by Clive Christian

Really quite incredible. Many of my most resent purchases (at the time of writing this review) have been citrus based fragrances. I didn't know what to expect from X, but it fell pleasantly and surprisingly fell into plan.

The cardamom compliments the bergamot very nicely by reducing or eliminating the sour notes sometime associated with bergamot. This two piece band played for hours until the cardamom tired and was relieved by the cinnamon and cedar where the three played in beautiful harmony. Not long after being joined by cinnamon and cedar, the bergamot finally retired leaving cinnamon and cedar to dry-down into an uncanny resemblance to a Dunhill edition dry-down.

Justifying the cost doesn't concern me. For as often as I would wear X, one bottle should last me the rest of my life and my kids can fight over what's left.

Coconut's avatar
    Coconut
    Hong Kong Hong Kong

Clean Baby Girl by Clean

That was a blind buy, this is not love at the first sniff for me but it just has not live up to my expectation. It doesn't smell like a "Baby Girl" to me. I was expecting to smell cotton candy and baby powder.

Lemons, cyclamen, orange, Egyptian geranium, a violet, heliotrope, lavender, ylang and cinnamon ceylon, and a white musk and cedar are supposed to be found on this. It has a very noticeable, almost sharp opening but it wears down to a softer, powdery tone rather quickly. Baby Girl reminds me of one of my old love which was the Mimosa Eau de Toilette by Calypso Christiane Celle. I guess if you enjoy Mimosa, there is a chance for you to like this too. They are both playful and shared the same soft musky base.

Stockholm's avatar
    Stockholm

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I can't see the reason to buy this when there is an original that beats this one any day of the week... Generally detest light versions existing fragrances, eventhough this is according to me, not exactly a version of the original...but yet another tonic altogether...

mikeperez23's avatar
    mikeperez23

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

The opening is a strong anise note that is sweet and slightly effervescent. It reminded me strongly of The Dreamer by Versace.

I like sweet scents, so I was okay with Le Dandy's sweetness. But I am not that fond of SWEET anise notes in my frags - it reminds me too much of pastries or specifically biscotti (another biscotti smelling scent is Sticky Cake by Comme de Garcons).

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Maestro by Simon Chang

Top: lime, bergamot, lavender, pine
    Mid: Sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, clove
    Base: Oakmoss
    Maestro by Simon Chang is a masculine, woody-grassy scent. Chang is a Montreal fashion designer who briefly got into scents in the late 1980’s, offering Maestro (male) and Kimono (female). Vetiver and patchouli are Maestro’s dominant elements. Pine is listed but I could not detect any. There is a good, typically brief sparkling citrus-lime opening. Very quickly the scent settles into a fresh woody accord. I find Maestro’s vetiver and patchouli to be substantial but not heavy. The oakmoss is restrained but effectively adds other grassy notes. Maestro retains its tangy, not-sweet character over the course of its development. I like some vetiver fragrances and this one is well made. The strong notes are controlled, and the scent reminds me of walking in a sunny grass field. I like it! This is an inexpensive fragrance (now discontinued) but it presents well and exceeded my expectations. The package I purchased also has a shower gel which is of very good quality.

luky's avatar
    luky
    Belgium Belgium

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

What can I say?

I bought this cologne after reading some reviews. I was wondering how it smelled because almost everybody rights good reviews about it.

The thing is that VS for Him is not available in Europe, so I had to buy it online without even having smelled it before. The first impression I got when I first smelled it was “oh, it smells good, but similar to some other cologne (maybe egoiste platinum, maybe calvin klein)”.

At first it wasn’t one of my favourites, but one night I put it on to go to a party. That night I got some compliments from some girls friends of mine. Since then, every time I put it on I get compliments from girls. I couldn’t believe it when I started using it, but every time I put it on some girl tells me how good I smell. There must be some component in it that is attractant to women, definitely.

Do you know the best of all? I live in Spain and VS Him isn’t available here, so when I wear it at night I’m sure I’ll be the only one wearing this cologne.

I have about 30 bottles of cologne, and VS Him is for sure one of my three favourites. If you are looking for a cologne to attract women this is probably the best one you will find.

nohay's avatar
    nohay
    Israel Israel

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

This fragrance is so much fun. I love anise but this one, dumb is it may sound, makes me feel like wearing new clothes, turnning every day to a little party. It's the 1st fragrance that I don't give a damn if others find it sexy, it just makes me feel so f* cool.

nohay's avatar
    nohay
    Israel Israel

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

The opening is quite nice, if you like Lolita, to quote ones review, you'll like this one. True, but only for 20 minutes. After that it gets this sickening balm like odour which I had to wash off ASAP. Funny thing though, after that it became nice again. It's not Lolita.

jojojiajia's avatar
    jojojiajia
    China China

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

my boyfriend has just gotten me this large bottle, he has always been a fan of the classics.
    as for me, I always have loved this smell, the brand, the name "Mademoiselle". (even just the sound of it) how classy, how beautiful, elegant, sophisticated, sweet and charming.
    everytime i smell this parfume, it gives me butterflies.
    the only reason i have never gotten it for myself, was becuase it is to be loved by too many people. many of people that have quite simliarities. men who are french, men who loves french or frenchish women, women who are the charming french, women who want to be charming french, women who want to be charmed by the french. i thought the parfume was a bit of a cliché.
    my boyfirned said, it's him that smells me everyday, who else would be close to my skin to smell me. true.
    after all, he is french, and i guess i am a woman who want to be charmed by the french, or to charm the french. if it works, i'll wear it.

JArie's avatar
    JArie

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

This is a beautifully composed fragrance, there is nothing I would disagree with in terms of the composition. I really like it, this is the type of perfume I had been looking for, something greenish & lemony but not too bitter/harsh. Yes, the longevity and sillage are poor, just like most of Annick Goutals except Songes. But I'm not ready to give up this one yet, I'm getting a EDP.

Clemmie's avatar
    Clemmie

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This fragrance is addictive. My daughter loved it so much on me, she got some and it smells even better on her. It's a very very sexy fragrance.

Clemmie's avatar
    Clemmie

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

I absolutely love this fragrance and I get asked about it whenever I wear it. I wish I had kept it a secret, as all my friends have now started wearing it, rendering it not quite so special any more. I like to layer this, I can't get enough of it.

losher's avatar
    losher
    England England

Samarkand by Body Shop

I used to love it too. I still have
    a tiny amount left which I save for
    special occasions.

Now that essential oils are all the
    rage here, I'm trying to find someone with a good enough nose to duplicate it or something close.

If I have any luck, I'll post again...

TOM L's avatar
    TOM L

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

This is a really fresh, powdery scent that seems to activate itself throughout the day in gentle spurts, never being overbearing or offensive.
    I agree with it smelling like a creamy soap, or even some types of barber soaps and that is a nice change of pace. This stays close to my skin all day and does exactly what a mens' cologne is supposed to do...let me get compliments from my girl when she is very close to me. Overall, a whisical, soapy clean scent that is vever out of place.

Clayton's avatar
    Clayton
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Holy Smoke by Demeter Fragrance Library

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but not exactly terrible either. This strikes me as unlit stick incense, after the South Asian style, combining florals, light spices, sandalwood, and something like dried fruit or honey. For me, it's too sweet and perhaps borders on those cheap, quasi-exotic, oil-dipped incenses with names like "Egyptian Midnight" and "Lovers Ritual."

ineespenes's avatar
    ineespenes
    Norway Norway

Opium Fleur Imperiale by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium fleur imperiale is one of the rare occasions when I've basically bought the scent there and then.This was last autumn,so I was really worried that the scent would be sold out.I absoulutely fell in love when i tried it the first time:)It was quite strong.The first thing that came through was vanilla and patchouli.This developed into something fairly close to sandalwood.If I didn't know it was not among the notes listed I would have thought it was sandalwood in it.It's not among the most complex scents I've tried,but it always makes me feel pretty.So thumps up from me.

madmadmad's avatar
    madmadmad

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

This one is keeper. The best smelling lemons ever! Very crisp in the beginning and does not loose character as it dries down. This one will put you in a good mood right away. It is a very simple citrus scent which stays throughout. Excellent dry down with a little bit of woods, not too much.

Agreed, it does not last as long (about 4 hours on me), but it is worth every minute I can smell it on me.

Bought this as bergdorff goodman, they are pros and know their Creeds.

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Onyx by Sage Machado

Sage Onyx is a rich, sultry perfume that's nothing like your ordinary coconut fragrance. It doesn't evoke island vacations or the beach, but it does transport me to a blissful state. This warm scent centers around dry, almost bitter coconut, that's sweetened with a luscious, yet dry vanilla, and resonant, mellow tobacco. I love to wear this as a sexy evening fragrance, but I have to be careful in public places, Onyx makes me unconsciously, compulsively sniff my own wrists! Anyone observing me must surely think, "That crazy lady smells amazing."

En Avion by Caron

Mattie, the SA, splashed the En Avion extrait all over her palm, like with a men's cologne splash, and literally drenched my right wrist with it, the precious extrait dripping onto the floor! As a result, I had a great opportunity to follow its development for the next five hours, until I fell asleep.

En Avion is a serious leather scent, and to my nose is a touch dated when compared to either Tabac Blond or Poivre. Yes, there is some carnation, rose, and cloves in En Avion, but nothing like the fireworks in Poivre. Yes, too, there is lots of leather in En Avion, but different from Tabac Blond. En Avion smells like plasticy, chemically-tanned leather, versus the vegetal-tanned, suede-like leather in Tabac Blond. They are undoubtedly related, but Tabac Blond is the more resplendent of the two. Please don't mistake me, En Avion is a classic fragrance in the best sense of the term. However, Tabac Blond and Poivre happen to both represent the ne plus ultra to me, thus tempering my appreciation for En Avion.

Farnesiana by Caron

Farnesiana is an almond, fruity, floral scent that, like most of Caron's classic scents, must have been pushing the envelope when it was first marketed in 1947. The extrait parfum version, as expected, lasts a long time but oddly did not make much of an impression with me. In general, I'm not a fan of either almonds or fruity notes. Plus, it will be difficult for any other Caron urn scents to truly wow me, because both Tabac Blond and Poivre are truly ne plus ultra in my book. Nonetheless, Farnesiana, like all Caron urn scents, sports excellent
    longevity if somewhat muted sillage (again, for a Caron urn scent).

Tubereuse 40 by Le Labo

Sir! What a fresh, sparkling Eau du Cologne you're wearing today, and is that a hint of tuberose that I'm smelling?

So bloody perceptive my valet! I can't seem to pull anything over on him recently!

Tubereuse 40 is Le Labo's SoHO Boutique exclusive store scent. As explained to me, Le Labo will be establishing boutiques in other cities this year, and they are committed to produce a unique scent for each store that will be available for purchase only at that store; not at any other store and not through their website. Tubereuse 40 is the exclusive scent developed for the SoHo boutique. I have been on quite a tuberose kick as of late and Tubereuse 40, while said to have a 30% concentration of essential oils, amazingly smells like an Eau du Cologne. There are some very longlasting hesperidic topnotes (> 6 hours) blended with a subtle tuberose. It is a beautiful and enchanting scent. It stays pretty close to the skin, especially when compared with Vetiver 46. It is in the vein of Guerlain Eau du Cologne Imperiale, with tuberose, but it lasts so much longer than the beautiful Imperiale. Incidentally, the number in each name of Le Labo's scents signifies the number of different ingredients in that composition (i.e., scent).

xdattax's avatar
    xdattax

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

lovely woody scent. dark, but not evil. almost, leathery. i enjoy this scent very much. :-)

Tabu by Dana

I got a few vintage minis in different concentration and they smell a little different but all smell good.

The edp is a very smooth, sweet, rounded musk/wood/vanilla scent, almost to sweet for me but I like the woody/ambery note.

The edc is a tad brighter and lighter with more floral and maybe citrus? Perhaps it's the citrusy floral of orange blossom. Still a very musky and smooth base though.

I can see how this scent might make some queasy, those who only enjoy fresh or very restrained and chic and dry scents. It doesn't smell expensive, I give you that, and it's not amazing or anything, but decidedly nice and quite original.

Givenchy III by Givenchy

I bought a vintage mini on Ebay, still full, but it might have turned, so read my review with that in mind.

What I get is a rather flat scent, slightly plasticky. It might not necessarily be bad, it might just be out of fashion, with old ingredients. To begin with a got some green sharpness, but it soon mellows to a rather warm scent, slightly cuminy. I can't really discern any notes. I do think it smells like coffe though, from a rather strong coffee blast in the opening to a softer, almost gourmany tone in the background.

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

I got a full vintage mini from Ebay, and I don't think it has turned.

First, it has a certain flatness, perhaps due to evaporated topnotes. It seems like a slightly plasticky feminine floral. After that it's almost pure cumin. Wow! I agree on the Kingdom comparison.

Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas

I bought 2 mini vintage bottles that look slightly different. It's possible one of them is a dupe I guess, or perhaps just different editions.

They smell a bit different too, starting out too sweet and fruity for my taste. One has a weird soapy/coffee note, perhaps lavender has something to do with it? The other is paler and fades faster but becomes less sweet and more alcohol-y. I guess one or both might have gone bad, I haven't smelled fresh Madame Rochas so I can't compare.

vadim's avatar
    vadim
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Captain Molyneux by Molyneux

Possibly one of the best herbal colognes for everyday wear if you like them laid-back and inconspicuous. Captain won't turn heads but is a real smoothie. The only letdown is dismal longevity.