Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Arabie was my first Serge Lutens fragrance and it remains my favorite. It's not a gourmand and it isn't an oriental. Actually, I don't know what it is, but it is the best, rich hippie scent that I've ever worn. Syrupy, yes. Perhaps it's the scent of a fruit cake, but a fruitcake from Ladurée.

Stockholm's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Quite novis to this page, but since long a devote fan of fragrances, my descovery have now come to Lanvin's Arpege... First of all I would say that I kind of like this scent, eventhough I am far from sure that I would ever find an occasion to wear it... It is far too sweet for being a suit/office fragrance, and even doubtfully a party scent, since it don't exactly get me in the club mood either... So what is it? A fragrance for home on one of these autumn days when you feel in between sensuous and slightly melancholic at the same time...? However, it is not all bad...quite good even, just can't identify the mood that goes toghether with it. The first impression is that it is not very far from Balenciaga's Cristobal but slightly more toned down... Someone mentioned that after the dry down it is somewhat ressembling Gucci Envy...and I agree! At the end of the day, I have to say that I adore the bottle and box more than the scent...so maybe some thing for my new bathroom, but not for me...!

Indiscreet's avatar

Vanille Mokha / Vanille Café by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

It smells like a large, iced vanilla latte.
    "Not perfumey enough for me, I'd want to eat it," my colleague said, but if you love gourmands, this is a good one.

As Kate says, this is still available - I got mine from scendmescent.com

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

wow, I think I love this! Dark, green, violet, not too sharp but not too sweet & heavy, more clear than powdery. Not "perfumy" or obnoxious either. It has an adventurous, mysterious mood, and it's more feminine & beautiful than alot of the chypres I've tried. A great mix! I love it alone & want to try it layered with Meteorites, violets, gardenias.. (on separate days!) It would be the perfect darkness/ richness to add.

Frank108's avatar

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane

From the L'Occitane web site:

Top Note: Grapefruit Basil
    Middle Note: Star Aniseed, Coriander
    Base Note: Absolute mate, Calry Sage.

In my opinion Badian is a light, sweet aromatic citrus fragrance. To my nose it is in the same family of fragrances as YSL Live Jazz. I believe it is wearable on warm, but not hot days.

The most important thing for me about Badian is that it is fresh natural scent without containing what I find to be the harsh and annoyingly artificial "fresh" notes in fragrances like Cool Water, Eternity and Burberry for Men. Longevity be damned!

However, perhaps, since Badian is more natural, on me at least, it has low sillage, as well as less than average longevity.

Also, although it is sweet it is not like some fragrances that smell like cheap candy. A mature adult male can wear this without hesitation.

At $42US for 3.4 oz (100ml) it is priced a a bit too high for what is it. Apparently, it only available in L'Occitane store and through the L'Occitane web site. So an occasional eBay type sale is the only way to get it any cheaper.

Bottom line: A well made, light aromatic / citrus fragrance suitable for warm weather, casual day or evening situations.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Apples and Limes and Roses and a hint of vanilla that really picks up in the end. I don't really get that synthetic feel as all of these fragrances appear in nature, it is a lot going on at once and because of that your nose doesn't really know what to do. One thing is for certain; it's a whole lotta sweet.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

very unique. The absinthe presents a very strong anise note and its rounded out a little by mainly green woods and a fair amount of vanilla. Great for a cool autumn day. Or everyday if your reclusive.

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

Fantastic Fragrance, very light, evokes a great image of what paradise could be. But as is a common problem with Alfred Sung it just disappeared after about 45 minutes. Perhaps it should have been called Mirage.

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

This fragrance kinda makes me a little "frisky" when I put it on. And as I wear it I often find myself sniffing my wrists when I want a bit of an "olfactory upper".

Just like with anything else I smell in life I put the fragrance to work in my imagination and it drives a scene that fits the scent. With this fragrance I imagine being outside in late spring or early summer. You can smell clean air brought out by a nearby water fountain. The scent of your neighbors flower garden having just started to bloom wafts up into your nose, maybe it just finished raining and the scent of wet flowers is dominant. All of that with the natural smell that you as a young man put off just freshly showered combines to form Blu Notte.

I often get told that I smell "amazing" when I wear this.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

How disappointing this was. It seems to me that the Calvin Klein fragrance department has run out of ideas, not that it ever seemed to be going in a great direction anyway. Euphoria starts out very nice and almost seems to promise a great lasting product. In my experience however there was no such thing it faded into a very subtle "typical mens woody scent"

The only euphoric thing about Euphoria was the bottle.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Absolutely Incredible. Very sweet though, if your not into that then stay away. I am saying it's like Vanilla sugar and sweet amber. Some people say it smells like grape bubble gum and I can get that but when I break it all down it kinda smells like freshly made creme brulee, and sex.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Wow. If you wanna smell like the incarnation of a classy man then this fragrance I would put at the top of my list. The top notes of bergamot and black pepper work nicely to enhance the spicy aroma that is brought out in the cinnamon leaves which also contribute a great deal of "green note" to this one. In drydown it seems to get very woody and the port wine really comes out with something of another fruit... perhaps baked pear. Every time I smell I think this how a well groomed man should smell.

Baila Negra Calva's avatar

Spain Spain

Arcus by Amouage

Nice scent, uncomplicated and little sexy thing. It lingers for quite a long time, Also you smell so unique.

CarvalhoN's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I bought a small sample of Bois du Portugal and tried it on for the first time today. Let me tell you this right now, it is the MOST distinguished and masculine men's fragrance I have ever come across. This is worth its weight in gold. True masculinity! It speaks power, royalty, and depth. It’s out of this world. I have yet to sample many other great fragrances out there; however, this is an authentic winner that will stand the test of time! So euphoric…

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Too sweet and too much vanilla, it over powers everything else about it. Longevity is a problem for this scent as well, it only lasts for 2-3 hours on me before it is completely gone.

JArie's avatar

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

This is the soul of Bulgarian roses in liquid form. So Exquisite that it breaks my heart!

JArie's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I ordered a bottle of Bandit EDT unsniffed, just got it this evening, and I am just delighted for how right it smells on me! Just speechless... If wormwood were included in the original version, I can imagine how bitter, medicinal and DARK the original was, I must search for it.

Angelique Encens and Bandit were supposedly two fragrances used by Dietrich known to the public, and I love them both equally much. I consider them unisex, uncompromisingly individual and contemporary.

I can totally see how they posess angelic and devilish qualities seperately. I'm deeply amazed by how ingenius these perfumers were, to create such theatrical and timeless perfumes with green notes. Can't live without either of them, both are divine creations. :)

odysseusm's avatar

Coriolan by Guerlain

This is dusky-green and interesting. There is a bit of a sweet, licorice tinge which adds a note of interest. There are some good spices. The scent is full-bodied but not sweet. The patchouli is not problematic. This is essentially what is now offered in the revamped and much more expensive L'Ame de Heros. My advice: this is better and is still available with some searching. This is sharper and the notes are more distinct than the reformulated version. Worth seeking out.

28 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2014)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Drakkar Noir disguised as the Scarlet Pimpernel. Or is it the other way around? It's a Foppish powerhouse scent. Yes, I know, another 'Wow what a contradiction' review.
    Allright, mate. You figure this one out!
    One of these days I'll understand the army of thumbs up for Bois du Portugal, Tam Dao and this one. Scents which I find to be OK, but no great shakes. Then I shall attain satori, or write a book like Luca . . .

29 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2009)

Ysatis by Givenchy

A fragrance a long time friend used several years ago, and I smelled when we travelled in bus every Friday. I haven't seen this fragrance at stores, it's very hard to found in Chile, as several stores benefit spaces for newer and more popular fragrances. Fortunately, I found a store yesterday who had only one bottle and they still had a tester.

The start was sweet and fruity, with mandarin and something like coconut, but the sensation was very short. The middle note was complex as I felt a lot of flowers, some of them I couldn't identify. At least a couple of notes were similar with Balenciaga's Rumba: the tuberose and the jasmine. If the tuberose is the common note I smelled, it's the main dominating note. The rest of the middle notes were a bit soapy. The base note had some patchouli and sandalwood. There was some note like "old"... maybe the civet I read it had.

It's a complex and strong fragrance, more times I smelled the paper they sprayed it, more flower notes I felt... surely it also has notes of Ylang-Ylang and roses. I believe, due to its strong aroma, it's more suitable for winter, office and evening use. Although my friend was in their late 20's when using if, and it smelled really good on her, it should fell better on an older woman, maybe over 35 or 40 years old.

Pi by Givenchy

One of my brother's fragrances. Very oriental, almost all vanilla.

The start was strange, with a citric like mandarin, plus several kitchen-like spices (checked later, they was tarragon, rosemary and basil). As middle notes there was a vanilla like aroma and a bit of anise, but mainly an oriental sweet sensation. The base notes were tonka beans, maybe also vanilla, and benjui according to the salesman at the store.

A fragrance with a gourmand style, my 3 years old twin daughters liked it at a blind test and they said "chocolate" when smelled this one. My wife said "ambar" at the base notes and I remembered some notes from Elixir des Merveilles when it was dry. For winter use, due to vanilla and other warm spices, maybe a chance of summer with fewer sprays on skin. Suitable for daytime and office use, and a recommended range of age between 25 and 50 years old.

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

I smelled this fragrance for the first time about 4 years ago, it was really good but since then it turned rather common in department stores. At least I smelled it once on every office I worked.

The top notes are citric, mandarin and grapefruit and are very long lasting. Middle notes are part fruit, part woods... I believed it was because the next base notes were almost all woods but, according to internet, a note of davana scent gives this double sensation. The base notes are mainly cedar, and the fruity citric sensation persists at this point.

It gives a clean sensation, a good office fragrance choice, also for daytime but a bit soft for evening use. For summer time, but suitable for all the year due to its woody notes. For a range of ages over 25 years old, better on a 35 years old man.

ineespenes's avatar

Norway Norway

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I'm sorry to say that this is one of the most unpleasant fragrances I've tried so far.Very,very sharp.Smells a bit like an overly perfumed soap.I do however like the rosey opening of this scent.Maybe a chemistry issue,but overall not for me.

Edwardian Bouquet by Floris

Longlasting - powerfull I think this scent is superbly well made.
    I normally say that Floris scents are discreet and never screeming - this one is GRAND and that is the difference.
    Everything about this scent is GRAND but with feminity never arrogant or vulgar.
    I find it very "white" for a stronger scent (lilly - jasmin) this could be its secret.
    Absolutely superb.

laurent

Elite by Floris

I can see why some of you have given a thumb down for this one but was it really right ???

It is a 80s style scent and I think it is 80s by excellence.
    It is strong nearly arrogant in your face and smelling of men with a big M.
    But Floris made it with tallent I think the tuberose and patchouli gives this scent Class - a hint of vulnerability with a very strong Vetiver finnish.

There are strong fans for this kind of scent out there - if not, women would probably buy it for him... for her !!

I am not surprised in 2007 it is all citrus and citrus and citrus - you have got here a 80s Classic that will make you stand out if you like it on you !!!

What can I say.....it is from Floris !!

Recommended - not for everybody for sure

Laurent

Vetiver by Floris

This scent is not for me - It does not mean it is bad at all.
    I think you must be a Vetiver "person" and I think you will love it.
    Some basenoter would call a Vetiver dirty as a compliment - well I think this one is very dirty.
    This is longlasting power and this is not shy - it is a bit of an animal but it has been well bred by Floris.
    For the Vetiver fans out there

laurent

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Emporio Armani Remix He by Giorgio Armani

Remix starts citrusy and quickly becomes similar to YSL Rive Gauche in its menthol with sweetness shaving cream smell. It's nice and versatile, the Longevity is average, but It's non original. After some time, this smell gets weaker and a woody base (very close to City Glam's one) takes place. From Emporio Armani brand, I still prefer Mania.

Tovah's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Hamptons is great on my husband and very good on me. I want to buy a Bond for my husband's upcoming birthday and I'm torn between Hamptons, Bleecker Street, and Wall Street. Of the three, I think he likes Hamptons the best because it's so clean and outdoorsy. It's perfect for wearing while playing golf or relaxing by the pool. I catch a whiff of Hamptons and can't stop myself from slinking toward that sexy smell...wearers - don't say I didn't warn you!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oriental for sure, and I love orientals! Chergui is powdery soft, richly deep and slightly sweet. It reminds me of 2 scents from the 80's ~ Ombre Rose and Lutece. It strikes me as a "comfort scent". Brings about a feeling of coziness. Special!

zztopp's avatar

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

Notes: Citrus, Jasmin, Spices, Cedar, Sandalwood

A bit of trivia about this cologne:
    "Trafalgar owes its name to one of the most celebrated naval engagements in European history - the battle of Trafalgar. This famous maritime confrontation took place off Cape Trafalgar, on the southern coast of Spain, on 21st October 1805, the very year in which William Francis Truefitt established his business. The overwhelming British victory destroyed Napoleon's plan to invade England and helped to secure the British naval supremacy for years to come. The British however suffered almost 1500 casualties, amongst them, Britain’s hero, Admiral Nelson, who was mortally wounded."

Cardamom definitely plays a big role in Trafalgar. Its almost immediately perceptible from the beginning, first meshing with citrus notes at the top before defining the main accord with cedar and jasmine. Jasmine does it part in subduing the potent combo of cedar + cardamom. Trafalgar is one of those moody scents; in cooler weather, the cardamom blends seamlessly with other more bright and floral ingredients to create a masculine spicy woody aroma. In warmer temperatures, the cardamom gets out of control, and just like the british, overpowers the composition, establishing its nasal supremacy.

Would I buy it? No. Do I care about British history ? No to that too. But Trafalgar might be worth your time if you are partial to the note of cardamom.