Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

Notes: Citrus, Jasmin, Spices, Cedar, Sandalwood

A bit of trivia about this cologne:
    "Trafalgar owes its name to one of the most celebrated naval engagements in European history - the battle of Trafalgar. This famous maritime confrontation took place off Cape Trafalgar, on the southern coast of Spain, on 21st October 1805, the very year in which William Francis Truefitt established his business. The overwhelming British victory destroyed Napoleon's plan to invade England and helped to secure the British naval supremacy for years to come. The British however suffered almost 1500 casualties, amongst them, Britain’s hero, Admiral Nelson, who was mortally wounded."

Cardamom definitely plays a big role in Trafalgar. Its almost immediately perceptible from the beginning, first meshing with citrus notes at the top before defining the main accord with cedar and jasmine. Jasmine does it part in subduing the potent combo of cedar + cardamom. Trafalgar is one of those moody scents; in cooler weather, the cardamom blends seamlessly with other more bright and floral ingredients to create a masculine spicy woody aroma. In warmer temperatures, the cardamom gets out of control, and just like the british, overpowers the composition, establishing its nasal supremacy.

Would I buy it? No. Do I care about British history ? No to that too. But Trafalgar might be worth your time if you are partial to the note of cardamom.

L'Eau by Diptyque

Too strong. Very clovy, almost licorice-like. And I like clove and licorice. Perhaps it is too manly for me. Anyway, guys, give it a try. Ladies, I doubt this would appeal to you, but go ahead and prove me wrong.

Eau Lente by Diptyque

This came across as fairly masculine to me, the clove was dominant, and perhaps joined by some black pepper. I do like clove, but I prefer its sweet, fruity presentation in Coco, because that one is more feminine. I would recommend this one as a spicy scent for men, but it is too butch for me. For awhile, I considered crossing over into men's fragrances, but many of them are too different from what I am accustomed to wearing. I believe they are compositionally at odds with womens' fragrances, and it is unfair to judge them according to the same standards. This would be akin to asking a man to give high ratings to a vanilla-based women's fragrance that he would never wear, when he prefers lavendar and lemon. Therefore, I give it a neutral rating.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

I usually give Lorenzo Villoresi high marks for development--as evidenced by the orchestration of notes in Sandalo (from herbal lavendar, through tangy vetiver, through rose and sandalwood, to sweet amber) and Yerbamate (from citrus to rosewood to a plethora of greens and a bit of smoke, to delicate powder) so I expected the same from Piper Nigrum. It did not behave similarly; it started with a ton of black pepper which trailed off somewhat but still remained the dominant note from start to finish. I like black pepper, but this one had too much of a presence for me.

Amoureuse by Delrae

I am going to steal a phrase from my friend, Kumquat, who owns this fragrance and let me try it. She says "It smells like walking into a flower shop." Indeed it does. I am not getting any of the listed notes in particular, except maybe moss and flowers. I compared it to a vial of very beautiful linden blossom essential oil and could see some similarities.
    The entire impression is very green, mildly woody, and white floral. It is strong, but soft. It has great lasting power. And it is has distinction--it is different from other perfumes on the market. Excellent composition.

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

I liked this one because it is different. I'm always up for a green fragrance that is not citrusy, soapy, or sweet. However, to make such a scent pleasant and wearable is a difficult task to accomplish.
    This is positively vegetal. I smell violet leaf, plus a lot of unmentioned notes such as celery, green pepper, maybe tomato leaf, and perhaps even vetiver.
    It is uncompromisingly green, which I find odd for a fragrance named for winter. I am fascinated by it. It does accomplish the goal of being pleasant. I would have to try it for an extensive amount of time before I decide how much I would like to smell vegetal.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Chestnut & Vetiver by Wickle

A warm, round, sweetish, musky scent, quite unlike any other. I guess it's the uncommon chestnut note. It has a slightly peppery touch which I assume is the vetiver. Very nice and very original.

sshak13's avatar
    sshak13

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

best summer scent ever!

fperdices's avatar
    fperdices

Amen by Philosophy

A nice light, fresh scent. Reminds me of Bvlgari Homme.

Stelios_X_opa's avatar
    Stelios_X_opa

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

The smell is sexy, and VERY sophisticated! Woody and a bit spicy, wears VERY easy and it lasted quite a while on me.
    NOT OUT YET!!! ...(sampling is the only thing seminars are good for! ^^)

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Encre Noire by Lalique

Lalique’s Encre Noir is not at all what I expected, yet I like it. The name (‘black ink’) prepared me for something dark, perhaps brooding. The high-class vetiver ingredients led me to anticipate a substantial grassy vetiver element. This is fresh and crisp, light and yet quite interesting, with very subdued vetiver. It has a pleasant green-floral opening. There is a slight earthy/black soil note. Rumor has it that blackberry is another ingredient, and I believe it. During the first half hour I could detect just a hint of blackberry, not sweet-fruity but slightly tart. Eventually, light wood notes emerge, which I suppose are the cashmere wood but which remind me of the birch in Cartier’s Declaration. The wood almost has a lemony citrus aspect which is really intriguing. The white musk reminds me very much of Mugler’s Cologne and I’d say that the two fragrances are similar, except EN is greener and crisper. This is a very good daytime/ workplace scent, and would be refreshing in warm weather.

julie-madam's avatar
    julie-madam

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

After smelling this, I died and went to rose heaven (where I am writing this). In rose heaven, everyone wears this scent. We live in houses filled with deeply colored roses, we walk on rose petals and we enjoy serenity 24/7. I purchased a ticket to rose heaven on the 'bay for $220, and I'll never return home.

Acqua Brasilis by O Boticário

Acqua Brasilis is a greta cologne for an everyday use. It opens up with very strong citric notes, followed by a gentle fig middle note, which lasts very shortly on my skin...

Carpe Diem by O Boticário

The first time I ever used this fragrance it gave me a terrible headache! It's way too strong, with citric notes all over it. Perfect for a sunny day in the park, but not for me...

Floratta in Blue by O Boticário

My mother owns this one and she wears it almost every day. Very smooth and delicate fragrance. Not an old-lady-fragrance, but still not a girlie one too...

According to www.boticario.com.br, the notes for this fragrance are:
    Top: geranium, bergamot, lime, tea rose
    Middle: bromelia, muguet e gardenia.
    Base: sandalwood, cedarwood, vetiver, Musk

Quasar Fire for Men by O Boticário

Hm, this one is so good! It reminds me a lot Givenchy's Xeryous Rouge, but not too strong. This fragrance is perfect for the night, too strong and very long-lasting.

According to www.boticário.com.br, the notes are:
    Top Notes: bergamot, mandarin, grapefruit, star fruit
    Middle Notes: nutmeg, ginger, pepper, coriander, cardamom, star anis, salvia, cedar leaves, basil, saffron
    Base Notes: cedarwood, vetiver, patchouli, cypress, sandal flower, moss, musk, amber

Junghula's avatar
    Junghula
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I found this one to smell very nice at first. What I found to really stand out were the ginger, lime, and coconut notes and it reminded me of drinks you'd normally get on holiday in some swanky resort in the tropics on a gorgeous beach. So a very leisurely, fresh vibe to it. However, after about an hour of wearing it, I had this whiff of fermented citrus/ rotten ginger and actually thought of checking my bag to see whether I hadn't forgotten a tangerine in it... That pong turned out to be the drydown, and it's a real pity because the opening notes were so fresh ans natural as zztopp said. I suppose that the scent I perceived as being "fermented" must have been the one intented to smell like white rum (which is after all fermented sugar cane juice, so...), but hey, not all of us have the olfactory finesse of Oliver/Erwin Creed. So I suppose that altough it is an interesting and pretty fragrance at first, it's not really one I, for one, would find very wearable because of the alcoholic drydown.

Aquaman by Rochas

Weird and slightly unpleasant, but in an inoffensive way. Cool bottle, though.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

I'm seeing purple hype! Sweet and synthetic? Yes, also eminently forgettable. We're getting silly with this one. Not fun-silly like Quasar or Nostalgia, just silly.

30th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

This is Le Male with diabetes. Can't stand either, but at least this one's cheaper.

30th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2009)

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

The BO note in this is absolutely nauseating. I've smelled way too many guys like this on a fishing trawler on an 8-Day trip. It's like they woke up with last week's clothes still on and decided to dust their armpits with cumin to disguise the odor. It wasn't the odor of private parts, just wide open armpits. I envy those who could smell other aspects, but this would make me throw up if I had to wear it more than 15 minutes. Nose searing.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar
    hirch_duckfinder

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Amazingly sparkling top with a loud heart accord which blends into a divine drydown of vanilla, moss and leather. This is a masterpiece with stunning longevity and beautiful development. Each layer has fabulous, distinctive accords.

All the notes of citrus, powdery leather, flowers and spices are there big and strong from the start. The sharpness dies off quickly allowing a more woody scent with some vanilla and slowly emerging florals to take over. Quickly the depth of this heart becomes apparent, as it is underpinned by palatable leather. The heart and base coexist for so long that it is almost an imperceptible transition from one to the other.

An outstanding classic, Guerlain have done an amazing job with the reformulation. I actually prefer the new version. It seems brighter and cleaner to me, maybe lacking a bit of "funk" from the original but I think the definition of the notes is stronger without compromise on the smoothness of the transitions.

laurent's avatar
    laurent
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I just come back from "the center" and gave a good spray of "fleur du Male" and I am furious that million will buy it maybe because the white bottle will become a must have - but frankly the "NOSE" behind this scent is taking us for a ride ------ and a big one.

THIS IS AS FLAT AS A BOTTLE CRYSTAL CHAMPAGNE WITHOUT BUBBLES.

I thought LE MALE was a great creation but not for me - but "Fleur du Male" is just so not original it has all the Jean paul Gaultier style but no charactere with just a spray I smell everybody and that is not good.
    The problem with this scent by the time you purchase it - it is already PASSE and SO WHAT.
    LOVELY BOTTLE AND PRESENTATION but this once again NOT ENOUGH.
    With a white bottle like that I was waiting something soooo unusual and It felt FLAT.

This is why I think Niche Perfumers are doing sooooo well.

I rarely give thumbs down but I dont know why anybody should spend money on a lovely bottle that smells NEARLY bad - unless you walk with the bottle around your neck

Laurent

rasputin's avatar
    rasputin

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

DZING! is one of those scents which is famous and infamous for both the same things: Cotton candy + sawdust + gasoline + wild animal excreta.
    Both the haters and lovers of this amazing fragrance will usually detect these very frankly... But this just proves that beauty is in the nose of the beholder... For many, this curious foursome of notes conjurs up funfairs and circuses; other people cannot get past one or two of the notes... This is a fragrance for Advanced perfume lovers only... it's modern and evocative in evety way. In a way, mixing animalic notes with balsams and sweet vanillic components is a time-honored formula in Western perfumery... This one just does it with a new postmodern twist...
    I do agree tat this fragrance is too evanescent... But were it any stronger, folks might just start wondering where is the tiger who peed on you.
    Love it!

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Peanutbutter? Nope, I didn't get that accord - thankfully! - but I did get sandalwood. In fact; that was it. Smelled like Caswell & Massey's Sandalwood. Nothing else. My sample came directly from the N.Y. L'Artisan boutique so I trust it. Nothing but sandalwood though.

Osmanthus by Different Company

Well put together; this one is different. Notes include: osmanthus, leaf green, bergamot, orange, tangerine, rose, rose bay, castoreum, hay and musk. The opening is sour and unpleasant to me. I don't get a true citrus at all. As this juice dries down, it's magic! The rose notes are soft and fresh. Not cloying whatsoever. I think the 'hay' gives a spring like breeziness to this mix. If it weren't for the disagreeable topnotes I'd probably dish out the dollars for this fragrance. I'm giving it a thumbs up because the drydown is truly magnificent!

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Flashback! To me this chypre smells very much like Halston from 1975. It is woodsy, and the pine does add bite to the warmth & the honey is sweet...but at the end of the day it smells like a hamster cage. Yep, those stinky wood shavings. I'm giving this a neutral rating, as I have enjoyed this scent on paper ~ just not on my own skin.

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Clubman by Truefitt & Hill

Official description: "A fresh aromatic characterized by citrus, mint and a crisp oceanic accord enhanced by fresh florals, woods and musk"

Really? An oceanic accord in the 1880s? To the best of my knowledge, the molecule responsible for oceanic accord ("calone") was discovered by Pfizer in 1966, and since the late 80s has been used in a zillion teen-ho frags. My guess is that the "oceanic" accord in Clubman is probably accomplished using geranium (it smells a bit similar to Amouage Arcus)

One would think that a citrus fragrance released in the late 1800s (from a respected british barbershop) would smell clean, simple and distinguished. Not so. Clubman starts off smelling pleasant, if quite unexciting. The subdued citrus and mint notes create a relaxed feel, before your nose rudely assaulted by an extremely common and synthetic ("plasticky") smelling "noise" in the perfume. Yes, this is the same cheap clumsily incorporated "oceanic" note which can be found in many drugstore fragrances (unless its geranium). Thats the extent of evolution in Clubman; its like A-to-Z from citrus+mint to "chemical juice". There are far too many superior aquatic and marine fragrances - a little known fragrance by the name of Acqua Di Gio is one of them.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

L'Arte di Gucci by Gucci

A dark, seductive rose (I get mostly rose from all the floral notes) with an undertone of leather/chypre/animal. Reminds me of my favourite rose Black Aoud.

mikeperez23's avatar
    mikeperez23

Roses by Ava Luxe

The opening was a very stemmy rose scent, quite realistic and wet. It dries down to a powdery, almost 'waxy' rose scent - reminding me slighly of rose scented candles or hilariously...rose scented doll products that little girls play with.

I imagine this would be a great scent for young girls. This is not me.

I tested the Luxe Edition.