Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

odysseusm's avatar

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

(revised from March 2007) This scent has gone through some reformulations. My comments are on the light green ribbed-glass bottle version (not the one shown). This has an aromatic dry opening of lavender and pepper. It is quite peppery! The florals are definitely in the background. The scent has great longevity, and conveys a mood of casual elegance. Fir? Not a lot in this formulation, just hints from time to time. The dry-down is airy, dry, salty -- a well-balanced, old-school blend of moss and patchouli. The scent has great longevity on my skin. . I enjoy its beginning and I like every aspect of it as it develops. It is crisp and formal enough to be a good daytime and work fragrance, projecting a quietly assertive confidence.
    I have shower gel in the dark green smooth bottle version. It smells greener and probably has more prominent fir.

30th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2010)

CEH's avatar

D'Humeur Jalouse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Wow, green really sums up this scent. It smells of fresh grass, bamboo, green leaves, with just a hint of musk. It is the prettiest "green" scent I have tried in a long time and quite "natural". I could bathe in this!

alpine's avatar

England England

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

This is horrible, it smells like a stale ashtray.
    The Dunhill name appears, sadly, to have gone downhill since it was bought by the detergent manufacturer.

calexs's avatar

England England

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Too over-the-top for me. It actually gives me a headache and makes me feel sick.

An idea for a cheaper alternative to this expensive, pungent scent: buy a tub of ground black pepper, pour it into a fragrance bottle and fill it up with black pepper essential oil.

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

smells like some juicehead took rochas man, a-man, body kouros, etc... mixed it up in an old gatorade bottle and sold it to his friends. to me it just has no soul. its just a basic sugary scent as someone said below. don't get me wrong, i don't dislike the way it smells, i would just rather choose one of the gourmand scents that has its own slight niche, where as this to me smells very generic

New West for Him by Aramis

why is it that i didn't even find this wearable? at first scent its "ok", and then i found it to only get worse as it dried. I understand that this is at the opposite end of the spectrum from tuscany, and believe me i can appreciate all types of scents, but i loved tuscany and understand people's complaints for limited availibility, but i just don't get new west. i did not like it.

VV Man by Roberto Verino

i don't particularly like the opening scent, its a little too perfume/feminine for me... but not too long after it begins to smell great. to me, this scent improves through out the day. by the time youre in bed it is more than incredible. i have only worn it about 5 times yet, so i'm anxious to see how big of a staple scent this may become for me.

elgab89's avatar

Incanto by Salvatore Ferragamo

I have tried this one on me. It seemed pleasant at first, nothing spectacular although. I gave it a few minutes to see how it dries out and was unpleasantly surprised. The fragrance became quite annoying. Maybe it did not work with my chemistry - and unfortunately the smell stayed with me all day.

25 by Aubusson

Utterly retro. Think flappers.

Light Her by Trussardi

Peachy, reminds me a lot of Laura by Laura Biagiotti.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Something about the way it smells reminds me of cola.

Rock Water by Un Monde Nouveau

Citrussy! Actually reminds me of Fujiyama for women. Hasn't lasted well - it's now about a decade old and quickly turns bad when applied on my skin.

Carl999's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

You know what? The civet here is nowhere near as bad as people make out...I actually expected it to have a faecal smell - not at all, as I was to find. It had, more than anything else, and baby vommit smell - creamy, spicey, herbaceous, acrid, and, of all things, a slightly "feet-smell after a 10 mile run in ten-year-old joggers"...

But do you know what suprised me even more? The Eau de Parfum, whilest definitely stronger, featured a greater prominence in the carnation, jasmine, rose and orris notes, where the combination seemed to soften the civet and give a smoother, more sophisticated smell...even after 14 hours, at the end of the dry-down and the basenotes, the smoothness is still there, lent by the prominence of the carnation, orris, rose and jasmine notes which,as mention before, are "louder" in this concentration...A nice fragrance,nay, a wonderful fragrance, and this is the opinion of a nine-teen-year-old!

BTW: and this is important - use as a skin-scent, and watch your application - with jicky, less is more! I usually use no more than five squirts - two on my neck, two on my chest, and on my shirt - even coverage, lasting all day - and subtle...that's the way my girlfriend likes it...

JArie's avatar

Brûlure de Rose 13 by Parfumerie Generale

It reminds me nothing about roses, it smells like artifical lychee flavour dessert/ canned lychees in sugar syrup. It felt like something sugary and sticky spilled on the skin, definitely can attract bees and ants.

Tricorn by Caswell-Massey

The best of all the Caswell-Massey offerings; which is to say, it's only mediocre rather that a total snoozefest. You might like this one if you're into 'fresh' sandalwood. Or if you think Gendarme is too bold and edgy.

Glad John Barrymore enjoyed it. Guess he wasn't partial to Jicky.

Or perhaps they had real Mysore Sandalwood back in 1941

30th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2012)

Aramis by Aramis

Popular with the frat boys at the time when the hippies were OD'ing on patchouli. Strangely, it wasn't considered all that 'manly' by comparisons to the pop frags of the day, but rather 'refined and formal' instead. I was rather unkind to this classic in my former review and must recant, though Spice Central is no longer to my taste, I concede that this chypre is far from exhausted and deserves a thumbs up, but spritz ever so lightly, as this is one of the easiest frags to overdo and, as already pointed out, one of the easiest to recognize.

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Hang Ho Hang! Truth be told it is not a bad scent, just mediocre. One big yawn.

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2009)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Honeyed hay, leather, grass and herbs! A great fragrance combination, masterfully done and I could not stop admiring it. But its not the of the right century for me. Its a Romantic vision of the world that is not real for me. Its like admiring a great old artwork at the Met - the northern European renaissance painters who glorified the innocence of the hard rural life. The wheat gatherrs and oxen in the sunny fields - Hans Holbein or Albrecht Durer in bottle! I need more mystery, a little jazz, subtle counter beats etc in a fragrance. Many will admire this one, but few will be challenged enough to wear it everyday over time.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

Tried it, didn't really take to the sweetness and so called plum note. Got worse with the mid and basenotes which to me became an amalgam of vanilla, sweet and nondescript. I left the bottle I was given deliberatley in a friend's car.

themeglet's avatar

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

I received a sample of JL French Lime Blossom from a lovely swapper. I note this because Jo Malone is not a fragrance line I would have gone out of my way to meet. JM's fragrance names are so unimaginative, so uninspiring... (not that I have unreasonably high expectations!) After five days of sniffing the sample vial, I finally decided that today would be the day to test it on my skin. To my surprise, my skin actually liked it and turned it into something nicer than it seems to be. In the vial, it smells exactly like lime-scented liquid dish detergent. I'm still amazed that it has mellowed so nicely on MY skin, which inevitably turns each and every citrusy floral scent I dare try into a Demeter. (Love it and leave it, baby!) JM French Lime blossom wears surprisingly well, and reminds me of visiting my aunt in Florida, who has a house surrounded by lime trees...and alligators, but I digress. The tarragon note might be key here... something keeps the scent from becoming too sharp, while remaining citrusy green, clean, and floral. It may be that I've found my summer (and possibly spring) '07 scent.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

A nice musky/spicy/woody oriental, with a slightly rubbery quality, presumably from the birch tar. It is a bit murky or musty, but in a good way imo, that reminds me a bit of S-Perfumes Lust, but more wearable. The downside is it seems to cling very tightly to the skin and fade fast, surprisingly since the character of the scent is rich and spicy.

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

first its burning cooking hazelnuts to creamy hazelnuts mixed with honey.very nice

Rochas Man by Rochas

mocha, burnt sugar and a touch of class. not one to wear to the office and such but the evening,nights out and such, rochas man is very suitable, and of course females likes it

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

honey sweeten tea with smokeyness. projects well. love it

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

classy.nice leather layed throughout. longevity is ok but the sillage is an issue. i need bout 2 to 3 sprays to the same area for the scent to jump off my skin. classy

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

damp fur,sawdust and cottoncandy fresh from the mixer. sometimes it feels alive. animalic and something different. beautiful

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

old churchs and castles with some smokeyness, nice but it doesnt last that long on me

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I have gone insane over Mitsouko. I have the new EDT, which is great, but I had a small sample of the original formula and it was almost criminal in its beauty. The new bottle has a plastic top, which is sad.

clarala's avatar

Red Jeans by Versace

This is a cheery, fresh scent for daytime use and a good price too.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Le Mâle Summer by Jean Paul Gaultier

I thought this was new...good to see it is not. That said steer clear of this, it smells like windex + the original le male.