Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Navigator by Dana

I totally disagree with Redleg, this scent is quite nice. Yes, it has a soapy fresh clean scent, but it is well put together, from a fresh bright opening to a manly musk dry down. I guess I am well pleased since I paid $1 (one) dollar for a 1.7 aftershave. The compmlements were good enough for me to come on basenotes to talk about it. If you like Modern by Banana Republic, you will really like this. Same line of scents with a different twist. The best cheapy I have ever had the pleasure of sampling.

Sport Jil Sander for Men by Jil Sander

Just picked this up for $15 at the Maxx without smelling it and I must say this was an excellent buy for me. I recently sampled Silver Mountain Water by CREED at neiman Marcus and I loved it, but was not in love with the price and also didn't like the fact that it smells similar to Unforgiveable by Sean John in its opening scents. Well, Sport Jil Sander has the same dry down as Sliver Mountain Water, and since I love that scent, I can now go and buy Unforgiveable and have 3 scents I totally love. This is my second Jil Sander and I must say I like her style. The scents are different enough yet familiar and well done. Highly recommended.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I don't understand the negative reviews for this. This is a well done frag. I am a fan of dry, woody or smoky scents, this is a dry fresh scent. i don't know what the regular versace man smells like, but this si good stuff. smells NOTHING like Drakkar like someone mentioned, neither does it smell like Raid or Lanvin L'homme. It's more like a cleaned up version of CK One electric. Very clean, very fresh plucked leaves that transitions into the synthetic aluminum thingy evryone else is talking about, but it is still nice. highly reccomended.

mikeperez23's avatar

Castile by Penhaligon's

Agree with the reviews that mention that the rose notes almost seem folded into the 'cologne' scents of Castile - kind of like a mild afterthought. I didn't detect the nose until after the more crisp aromas had faded and when it made its appearance, it was welcomed.

It smells like a light fresh summer scent that I'd recommend to a newbie, however one that I'd feel more comfortable being dressed a little more formal.

This scent is just too classy smelling for flip flops and wrinkled clothes.

pookyface's avatar

Sublime by Jean Patou

I initially bought this because I got an amzing deal on ebay, I had never tried it. I thought I might give it to my mom cause she has liked other Jean Patou perfumes. Then ma says that she doesnt bother much with perfume anymore now that she is retired. After reading the reviews here I was very curious, so I opened it and WOW I was so surprised to find I LOVE IT ! The reviews here already say it all. I find it soft and powdery. The first time I wore it to work, one female co-worker went nuts and is going to go buy some. Another female co-worker wasnt too impressed she asked if I spilled baby powder. I dont care what she thinks anyway, I think it is dreamy.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

As I said before It does what it says on the tin, Green oranges, big time fruit blast, clean, well washed male slightly earthy dry green citrus drydowm that nobody can dislike. Could prove attractive to a lot of l;adies!

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2010)

Horizon by Guy Laroche

This is lovely stuff, the blue, wet, salty cobbles soaked in pine needles type thing. As it wears off you do get a "nice ice" aroma. Distinctly male.

Police (original) by Police

Currently eBay UK is awash with Police, original and I am very pleased I have got some.It is a slightly less mineralic version of Dunhill Xcentric, or a slightly more assertive version of Nicole Farhi for Men. It lasts well. Think rain on stones and blackcurrant bushes.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Very nice, (damning with faint praise?) blackberries, cream and currant bushes, wears close to the body, but does only last 5 hours on me.At this price it should last longer, or am I missing the point?

löwe's avatar

Germany Germany

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Does anyone else see the similarity between Rochas Lui and Terre d'Hermes? The bitter orange in the top notes of each reminds me of the way oranges smell after they've been left in the garbage for days in the hot sun. Based on the reviews in Basenotes, I was really prepared to like these fragrances, but they left me utterly disappointed.

tessera's avatar

Chaos by Donna Karan

Chaos on me is spikey and sharp and dries down a bit too loud. My sister, however, loves it and it's a gentle woody spice on her. Tabac Blonde is her other favorite, just for comparision purposes.

tessera's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I also wanted to love Fracas, but on me it turns somehow and ends up smelling oddly like plastic flowers and mothballs. Not exactly the exuberant, floral fantasy I'd been hoping for. Oh, well, next!

Amberflash's avatar

1881 Amber by Cerruti

YUCK! I love violets. I love amber. I love cedar. But somehow this mixture smells like furniture polish on me, in a "I feel like I'm gonna retch" sort of way. Ken_Russell is right, though. It's an icy cold fragrance... the white florals clashing like jagged icicles against the cedar and amber. I can't help thinking these notes might have been brought together more harmoniously in a more thoughtful blend.

lukashod's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I had a chance to sample this at nordstroms, and i have to say it smells nice. Its difficult to place though, because its so weak. You would literally have to bathe in it to have any enduring sillage. Too bad.

thebeck's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

Coromandel works well on my Wife as well as myself. On me it is similar to Egoiste, but with a twist. Instead of drying to a woody note, Coromandel is more spicy.

My Wife and I both would put this in the gourmand category. It's a warm comfort scent that works well for men and women. Most of the time you can't make out particular notes and you simply don't care. Everytime I get a chance I look around to make sure somebodys not looking at me, and smell my wrist.
    Ahh! What does it smell like now? This heaven or that heaven, I'm confident it will one of them.
    Easily the best of the new Les Exclusifs.
    It has the best sillage and lasting power of the 6 also. I'm buying a bottle because I have someone to share it with. Even if I didn't I would buy one for myself because I know I could empty it.

lex's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

suede and apricots. very odd.i like this one

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2012)

lex's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

this oriental is nothing to play with. can easily be overpowering with just 1 spray. applied from a distance is the only way i can pull this off but i simply cant wear it. pungent. a very toned down version would be by man d&g

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2012)