Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

As I said before It does what it says on the tin, Green oranges, big time fruit blast, clean, well washed male slightly earthy dry green citrus drydowm that nobody can dislike. Could prove attractive to a lot of l;adies!

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 25th May, 2010)

Horizon by Guy Laroche

This is lovely stuff, the blue, wet, salty cobbles soaked in pine needles type thing. As it wears off you do get a "nice ice" aroma. Distinctly male.

Police (original) by Police

Currently eBay UK is awash with Police, original and I am very pleased I have got some.It is a slightly less mineralic version of Dunhill Xcentric, or a slightly more assertive version of Nicole Farhi for Men. It lasts well. Think rain on stones and blackcurrant bushes.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Very nice, (damning with faint praise?) blackberries, cream and currant bushes, wears close to the body, but does only last 5 hours on me.At this price it should last longer, or am I missing the point?

löwe's avatar

Germany Germany

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Does anyone else see the similarity between Rochas Lui and Terre d'Hermes? The bitter orange in the top notes of each reminds me of the way oranges smell after they've been left in the garbage for days in the hot sun. Based on the reviews in Basenotes, I was really prepared to like these fragrances, but they left me utterly disappointed.

tessera's avatar

Chaos by Donna Karan

Chaos on me is spikey and sharp and dries down a bit too loud. My sister, however, loves it and it's a gentle woody spice on her. Tabac Blonde is her other favorite, just for comparision purposes.

tessera's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I also wanted to love Fracas, but on me it turns somehow and ends up smelling oddly like plastic flowers and mothballs. Not exactly the exuberant, floral fantasy I'd been hoping for. Oh, well, next!

Amberflash's avatar

1881 Amber by Cerruti

YUCK! I love violets. I love amber. I love cedar. But somehow this mixture smells like furniture polish on me, in a "I feel like I'm gonna retch" sort of way. Ken_Russell is right, though. It's an icy cold fragrance... the white florals clashing like jagged icicles against the cedar and amber. I can't help thinking these notes might have been brought together more harmoniously in a more thoughtful blend.

lukashod's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I had a chance to sample this at nordstroms, and i have to say it smells nice. Its difficult to place though, because its so weak. You would literally have to bathe in it to have any enduring sillage. Too bad.

thebeck's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

Coromandel works well on my Wife as well as myself. On me it is similar to Egoiste, but with a twist. Instead of drying to a woody note, Coromandel is more spicy.

My Wife and I both would put this in the gourmand category. It's a warm comfort scent that works well for men and women. Most of the time you can't make out particular notes and you simply don't care. Everytime I get a chance I look around to make sure somebodys not looking at me, and smell my wrist.
    Ahh! What does it smell like now? This heaven or that heaven, I'm confident it will one of them.
    Easily the best of the new Les Exclusifs.
    It has the best sillage and lasting power of the 6 also. I'm buying a bottle because I have someone to share it with. Even if I didn't I would buy one for myself because I know I could empty it.

lex's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

suede and apricots. very odd.i like this one

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 26th January, 2012)

lex's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

this oriental is nothing to play with. can easily be overpowering with just 1 spray. applied from a distance is the only way i can pull this off but i simply cant wear it. pungent. a very toned down version would be by man d&g

31st March, 2007 (Last Edited: 03rd February, 2012)