Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Calèche by Hermès

This scent is a fraternal twin to Chanel's #5. I know, it seems impossible, but listen: both scents share the following notes~ ylang-ylang, jasmine, rose/mayrose, sandalwood & vetiver. The Caleche incorporates a few others as well; such as iris and oakmoss, which add the dry crispness the aldehydes contribute in #5. After drydown, there is also a
    striking resemblence to YSL'S Rive Gauche. A rich and womanly chypre. At any rate, after 45 years in production it's obviously a winning fragrance. Timeless!

Maroc by Long Lost Perfume

To fans of this out of production treasure: please try either Narciso Rodriquez for Her OR Cabaret. You will certainly find one of these to be as rich and seductive as your old favorite!

zztopp's avatar

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

Official notes:

Top: Bergamot, mandarin, Cardamon
    Heart: Lavender, Geranium, Clary Sage
    Base: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, musk

1805 starts off with somewhat fresh and attractive citrus notes with hints of the ocean air. And thats the height of its achievement really. From there, 1805 fast disintegrates into a persistent overly synthetic and salty accord which never lets go. Salty can be good if done right (try or taste Erolfa). But here, the notes smell cheap - theres just too much cardamom and geranium and it overwhelms the composition. The sandalwood and musk dont even get to enjoy the ocean voyage.
    I have also tested the shaving cream, and its just too salty - it made my eyes water, resulting in more lubrication for my wet shaving experience.

1805 isnt a "terrible" scent, but many at Basenotes have beaten the "oceanic/marine" fragrance (sea)horse to death and theres simply no place for 1805 in the crowded sea of offerings. Creed Millesime Imperiale, Creed Erolfa, and even the obnoxious-little-brother Creative Universe's Mare blow 1805 out of the water.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

It sure smells like the classic it is. A traditional soapy/powdery floral, much like some of the old Carons, only less metallic, with a warm, ambery/sandalwoody/musky base. A very warm and "round" scent, nothing stands out except maybe for a certain green/soapy sharpness. The oriental base really adds to the somewaht old-fashioned florals.

dr.Trost's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Or PuH is one of the greatest fragrances and I do not understand it or I understand this is not a great fragrance anymore. I use it sometimes but is to sweet and heavy. On the other side Caron is well known for its daring parfumes, see Yatagan. If you are for a fine lavender water look somewhere else. If you are looking for a surprise then try this first. You may love it. PuH should remain as an historical fragrance,untouched.And used.Sometimes.

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Brit Red by Burberry

Brit Red strikes me as a sweet gourmandy spicy scent. I have red that there is Rhubarb, Mandarin, Jasmine, Gingerbread and Patchouli in the composition. I The opening of the scent smells like a raspberry baked pudding. The second layer is a bit blurry but it dries down to the smell of a nice spicy gingerbread man. I used to own a bottle of Brit Gold but gave it away. I think Brit Red stands out a lot more within the "Brits" collection. It seems a lot more playful and I think this is an oriental scent with a western gourmandy twist.

Mikey Q's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

This one is hard to describe. I guess woodsy with bits of everything else mixed in is the best I can come up with. My wardrobe covers a wide variety of scents but I think this one will always be in my top ten. I have bought many blind, using BN reviews to guide me. I never would have bought this one blind off BN recommendations. I'll always be glad someone sent me a sample of this one. Once I sampled it I was hooked.

paul's avatar

X-Centric by Dunhill

I'm still wearing it It still smells weird (Police is reminiscent) and I still love it

04th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 07th August, 2010)

paul's avatar

Nicole Farhi Homme by Nicole Farhi

This smells like Lauren's Safari but with a touch of mint and much less of the pine disinfectant, a bit like mixing Safari and Paco Rabanne PH and missing the nose wrinkling bits. Understated stuff.

I return to say I still think it is an original fragrance, much less in your face than Issey Bleu. It reminds me of snow and mint in the woods and cold. It can if overapplied though become cloying, the longevity is outstanding. I've found I can't wear it every day though. Still wonderful stuff.

04th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 05th July, 2008)

Porcelina's avatar

Satsuma by Body Shop

I really do enjoy this, however, I can't wear it daily or I will get sick of it.

historywillabsolveme's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Peeeeeeeeew!!! I had to endure this abomination when I worked in a major men's department store. I swallowed aspirins like candy in order to combat all the headaches throughout my workday. There aren't enough expletives in the English language to describe this one. I had a better time tolerating halitosis and farts than this. And the nausea?? Boy, I tell you long stories about that. Women like it??I don't think so. My ex roommate had a bottle and and the only comments I'd get from my female visitors is "bleaaahhh" along with covered noses and looking for the nearest open window. It also left an almost unwashable residue on our towels and furniture.
    To this day whenever I smell this barbaric concoction on men in the street I get nauseous and cross the street. Just plain nasty!!! Three thumbs way down.

04th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 06th April, 2012)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Anbar by Comme des Garçons

Opens very citrusy: As Caltha said, cleaning agent citrusy. It’s not an unpleasant odor (if it were, Johnson wouldn’t make Pledge smell similar to this) but it has those same nuances that remind me of bathroom cleanliness rather than of personal freshness. For a cologne, the aroma is rather strong and penetrating. That touch of lavender in the fragrance is probably what annoys me because it turns the tolerable citrus into a seemingly synthetic citrus. Then, when the musks of the base come forward, the base collides with the lavender to momentarily create an annoying combination.

This scent is certainly not as terrible as I have been making it out to be. As scents go, it is actually quite a pleasant one... I find myself wearing it wore often than a reader of this review might suspect. My main problem with Anbar is a problem of association—I have smelled a similar smell in too many cleaning products. I’m sure that if, like Indie_Guy, I could associate the smell with jawbreakers rather than lemony (albeit squeaky-clean) bathrooms, my review would be more Anbar friendly. Excellent longevity for a EDC.

04th March, 2007 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2014)

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Vetyver Uomo by Malizia

True, back in the 90's everyone in Romania smelled like this. Even if this scent has become too mass-market and unfortunately ( sometimes)abused by completely misplaced wearers, it still has an above average refinement for its price range. It burts in a very fresh way, oozes grassy notes and some woody- aromatic touches. Also, resinous and slightly conipherous notes which actually cause this scent's mixed reputation- while they smell half mature, virile, classy and appealing, it also has a too sleazy note, something far too fleshy, dirty animalic and something of a push- over. Maybe due to this association my rating is just neutral.

oolong's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

As a general rule I prefer the more complex cold weather scents. I usually find summer scents to be simplistic and as a general rule, very similar to each other. Mugler Cologne is one of the best warm weather fragrances I've run across. A nice, clean, fresh, citrus scent, not too sweet but with good longevity for a summer scent. I find it a very linear and simplistic scent, but it does what it does very well. If you are looking for a nice warm weather scent it would be hard to do better.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Agua Verde by Salvador Dali

A nice citrusy/floral fragrance that starts extremely similar to Terre d'Hermes... For about 10-15 minutes... Then, The floral tones take control (a lot of lavender mainly) and mix with the orange bark initial accord producing a fresh, casual, out of the shower smell. In my opinion, better than Lacoste essential for half the price. It's not green as its juice, I notice some green, but It's just a "detail" here.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

For me, as for "colormechris," Polo is the King. The scent of this is huge: deep and wide. The pine, tobacco, and oakmoss are most apparent to me, though the patchouli probably lends its leathery warmth and forcefulness to this mix as well. Just for fun I sprayed a little on my skin - just a little - and had my girlfriend smell it to see if she knew what it was. Despite being of the Polo generation, she could not tell me, and didn't even find it to be all that familiar (as a reference point, she immediately recognized Drakkar Noir).

I guess the point that I am making is that while some of us bathed in this stuff when we were younger, if you use it sparingly, you can smell just how amazing this is without all the baggage of yesteryear. It's in a league of ts own. It's more powerful and more rustic than Polo Crest, rivaling Devin or Tuscany in that regard; more overtly masculine with less sweetness than Safari; and not as "dated" as Drakkar, Kouros, Havana, and Trussardi, but just as important as all those, maybe even more so. This is my King.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

How is there a single thumbs-up of this on Basenotes?!? A very cheap smelling concoction. Starts off smelling a bit like fruit punch, then the coffee note emerges and the apple note separates itself from the generic fruit punch accord creating a hideous combination of coffee and apple. Your coffee never has an apple in it for a reason. Then there is the generic, crappy musky-woody base that smells like something you'd get in Axe or Tag or one of those other asinine "body spray" products. There are so many other better youthful, casual options available.

Alamut by Lorenzo Villoresi

I am really surprised at the reviews this has gotten - the suggestions that Alamut is a middling fragrance, both on the boards here, and in the blogs. This is a wonderful fragrance. In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I am a Villoresi fan. Piper Nigrum was one of my first loves, one of the fragrances that ignited my interest. Trying to put my positive prejudice aside, I still think this is a great fragrance. It may be Villoresi's finest. You get a sense that he has grown as a perfumer. The notes seem to meld together better, and flow better as well. The progression is smoother throughout the drydown. The scent itself is a warm, smooth, suave blend of sweet spices and gender-neutral florals blended with a warm, sensual animalic base. It most reminds me of Costes, but where Costes is more woody, this is more oriental, and to my nose, more exotic. It is richer as well. I am in total agreement with Gerald - this is a great unisex scent for those who like exotic, lush oriental fragrances.

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

What a strange experience wearing this scent is. Truly it is more like a work of art than a fragrance for personal wear. In fact, I don't imagine many (myself included) would want to wear this as a fragrance. It starts off smelling like rich, damp, black earth with all the facets of that smell - you can almost see the small plant shoots and insects. Then, it takes a cold turn, for some reason calling more to mind damp, cold soil in the late fall or early winter, with dried, decaying tree leaves playing a role. Finally, it ends on an almost green note, the smell of the soil in the spring. Here the smell of freshly sprouting leaves comes to mind. At this point, it is light, but still present.

As someone who has worked with his hands, often digging and planting, this scent brought with it many embodied memories of times past. The smell of clearing the trees to build our house; the smell of planting azalea bushes as a landscaper; the smell of digging in the hard, cold earth near the end of fall. For that reason, wearing this is an emotional experience. I'm just not sure that many of these are emotions I care to relive. If the goal of this is to mimic the smell of nature at various points throughout the year, then this fragrance succeeds. However, if the goal is to provide something that folks will wear to smell good, or feel good, then I'm not sure it succeeds.

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

I really, really wanted to love this. You know the feeling when you read the notes, consider the concept, and just "know" you'll love it. But then there's skin chemistry and the ever unpredictable olfactory perception with which to contend.

The topnotes were great. And I can completely notice the concept unfolding. There is the somewhat sweet nutty smell, some vegetal components, a whiff of smoke, and an earthiness underlying it all. Then as it dries down, the sweetness, the nuttiness, the smokiness, and even the earthiness all give way to a murky, plant-like smell reminiscent of tomato plants, or maybe green bell pepper plants. And there it sits.

I am encouraged by the topnotes and have high hopes for the others in this line. I am seriously hoping this is a skin chemistry issue for me. Nonetheless, I am disappointed by the way this scent collapses in on itself every time I try it on my skin.

Coromandel by Chanel

Right from the start, this one has "wow!" written all over it. Something about the opening of this reminds me very clearly of Musc Ravageur. As it dries down, it's easy to pick up the SL Borneo reference that Luca Turin makes. The patchouli here, as in Borneo, is soft, dry, earthy, and approachable, while still smelling "real." The benzoin sweetness is also apparent, but clear and never heavy. In the middle stage, Coromandel reminds me a bit of Prada for women, but it's not nearly as heavy or syrupy as that. The Musc Ravageur allusion is still present as well, though less so than in the opening. The final stage is a lighter, wood and vanilla scent that somehow still manages to be interesting. For men, if you can pull off Musc Ravageur, Angel for Men, or Borneo, you can pull this off. Very much worth a test. I can't wait to try the rest of these. My only complaint is that they only offer these in 200 or 400 ml bottles! Who can use 200 ml of anything? Come on fragrance manufacturers...get real. Offer more fragrances in 30 and 15 ml sizes.

Rush by Gucci

RUSH is appropriately named! Purplebird7's commentary is excellent - especially regarding the basenotes of this blend. This potion is juicy sweet upon first spritz, then warms and diffuses into a sensually sweet aura...mmmmmmmmmmmmm...nice! The gardenia here is a big winner. My major complaint is the bottle. I feel we've been gyped by the red plastic lego block! A fragrance this stunning deserves a much better presentation!

genieg's avatar

Crown Esterhazy by Crown Perfumery

I have a bottle of this. Sadly, it smells like a lemon, ginger, caramel concoction on my skin. To begin with, I don't like lemons, and I don't care for obvious lemon fragrances. I do love lime though!

I will give the Countess Esterhazy one more try before I boot her onto the auction block.

dr.Trost's avatar

Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company

I can only agree with the two previous reviews. Very refreshing vetiver at the beginning and slowly changing to a warm,slightly sweet fragrance. Excellent!

trikkirikki's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Rykiel Rose by Sonia Rykiel

This is not for me. Pretty enough I suppose, but it gets too sickly sweet only shortly after applied.

thisbekevinn's avatar

Heir by Paris Hilton

I don't really enjoy this scent but it's others seem too. It smells like a watered-downed version of Curve with a hint of Black by Kenneth Cole. I like the bottle and the way the spray shots it out but it's not my favorite in my wardrobe. But still I'll give it a thumbs up because it has great sillage and longness and the ladies love it.

Once again Paris, your fragrance rocks!

Heidi's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Oval by Eden Park

I received this in sample at the store and I thought it was a women's perfume. I really like the scent and I used it for myself, now I see that it's male. It's a warm, tender, cousy smell, reminds me of Emporio Armani (the white one) and Cashmere mist from Donna Karan. It would smell great on a man... .

odysseusm's avatar

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

I really have been working hard to like Swiss Army, but this one just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t find any significant wood notes, just sweet floral ones. Even with only two squirts this seems a bit cloying; more would be a disaster. This is something that I might tolerate but not enjoy... and life’s too short for that sort of thing! The list of ingredients looks nice, but the effect is not to my taste or temperament. Now for a really good Swiss fragrance, try La Base for Him. That is excellent.

Serendeep's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I sprayed a TdH tester on my wrist this past weekend at Neiman Marcus in Atlanta. While the scent was interesting there was a familiarity that I just couldn't place. The longevity and sillage were both strong. After about an hour, it dawned on me. The fragrance was very similar to ........ pickle juice! But not real pickle juice - more like the 'scratch and sniff' pickle scent I remember as kid (some game I had as a child had a bunch of scratch and sniff dots on it).

This one's not for me.

Serendeep's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

The initial citrus burst of lime is perfectly balanced with the scent of coconut. With drydown, the lime sadly dissipates much too quickly. The lingering base of tonkin musk/coconut was quite powdery on my wrist. Not unpleasant but not what I was hoping for. Too feminine.
    On the upside - Longevity was better than anticipated. Also, not an overly cloying or sweet fragrance.
    I won't comment on sillage as I had only applied some to one wrist.
    For this price, not a good 'blind buy'.