Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

ratws's avatar

Vetyver Lanvin (original) by Lanvin

Unique,unrivaled and unforgettable are it's impact of a citric-green-aldehydic complex followed by sheaves of flowery notes like clove, jasmine, orris, ylang, melt into one another,continued by an impressive, heart-moving,warm complex of bay and cinnamon, gliding into the depth of dry-warm woody and powdery layers of vetyver,cedar,mossy and resinous notes,exceptionally rounded with tonka, leather and vanilla, ending smooth, lasting for hours, spending breezes of a greenish, spicy warmth. The original Lanvin Vetyver has personality, it's not simply a refreshing vetyver-eau-de-cologne like the ultra-refined Guerlain Vetyver is. The original Lanvin Vetyver gives us the "living" proof, that no unbridgebable opposite exists between the colour "green" on the one and eroticism on the other hand. The idea of the original Lanvin Vetyver was born long time before Lauder launched Aramais Devin as a country style perfume. The difference is: Lanvin has "chic". My last flacon is around 17 years old and the fragrance is like on the first day I opened it. While I'am writing my review, the fragrance is on the skin of my hand ...

flco's avatar

Oh My Dog! by Dog Generation

It a fun fragrance for a casual spring day on myself... But for a dog!? Oh my god, pun intended, the poor creature's eyes and nose! I know you're not supposed to spray it directly in the animal's face, but still, it may make the dog itchy. Dogs lick their snouts, and perfume cannot be good for them to ingest. What is society coming to? Perfumes for DOGS? Unscented baby shampoo works just fine to make Maggie not stink, and it's GENTLE.

Thumbs up for a fun, flirty, affordable fragrance that lasts for hours. Thumbs down for weird marketing. But I'll give it a thumbs up anyway.

flco's avatar

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Feeling miserable after bombing a midterm, I went to my favorite perfume shop and asked what they'd suggest for someone who's been having a really bad day. I probably shouldn't have rewarded myself for doing badly on a test, but perfumes always make me feel better, and I needed a pick-me-up because I knew it was all my fault, especially since I would have done decently on it if I had only put in a couple hours of work.

I smelled Mure et Musc and Ananas Fizz, both of which were lovely fragrances, but I wanted something less happy and more comforting. Then they showed me Bois Farine, and on the card that I sniffed, I thought I detected hazelnut. I decided on this fragrance and spritzed some on my wrist when I got home. Peanut brittle. That was one of my favorite treats when I was a youngster. It's not something I'd wear everyday--it smells like peanut brittle--but I wear it when I'm going to be around children or when I want to feel like a child. I wore this scent to a baby shower just the other day and someone asked me what it was.

Grizzly!'s avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I've used Acqua di Giò as my primary fragrance for ten years now, and I still love it, which speaks a lot about it's qualities I think. I've never come across another fragrance that smells anything remotely close to it, and it feels just as fresh and delightful now as it did ten years ago.

The only possibly downside to Acqua di Giò that I can think of is that it's so popular and well-known that one might feel a bit unoriginal wearing it, but has absolutely nothing to do with the fragrance itself.

Grizzly!'s avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

I just got Allure, and I absolutely adore it. Very sweet, sensual and romantic. Maybe not something I'd wear casually or as an every day fragrance, but it'll definitely be my choice from here on out for those special evenings and occasions.

ctbw's avatar

Royal Briar by Atkinsons

This is a very pleasant fragrance. Lasts a long time. I believe it cost about $25.

iMaverick's avatar

L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane

Ever struggled so hard with a fragrance liking and disliking a scent at the same time? L'Oranger Neroli has been my biggest struggle yet. I used to wear an essential oil similar in the past, in fact I dub this Neroli a kind of "hippie-oil" as far as personality is concerned. Every time I passed my local L'Occitane store, I made sure to test it, at least six times over several months. I loved it for the connection it made to my past, it's heady fruity, floral, woodsy and spicy nature, and hated it for the unsuspecting brash...well not brash, but full bore opening. I honestly didn't know what to expect everytime I tested it. The drydown on the otherhand was what hooked me obsessively. I couldn't stop thinking about its beautiful smooth, warm and vanillic base. I finally bought a bottle to end my misery, and I'm actually happy and most of all relieved! It takes a special woman to wear this...it takes a man that's specially aware of his own dark or ponderous nature.

Eau de Parfum? L'Occitane must be seriously mistaken! Longest lasting scent I've ever owned--you can go the whole day and night with this, and has the most sillage only comparable to a 70s/80s chypre scent. Try it, and be amazed!

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Almost no room for additional information- often discussed, often valued, even worshiped, extremely best-selling. The embodiment of the hedonistic old world of privilege and luxury is not an empty promise- being dignified and mature up to a certain bulkiness , a certain overwhelming heavy note due to its lasting power, yet discreetly, gentlemanly pacified. Citrus, of course pine, but also powdery notes, adding both the aforementioned slightly overdone maturity but also its ultimate touch of class. I almost think that if most f the other Ralph Lauren scents or any other merchandise by this brand would
    not exist, this one would still outlast many scents, would maintain RL's reputation for ages due to Polo's timeless and conservative quality.

06 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2009)

rach2jlc's avatar

Bois de Filao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Along with L'eau de Gouverneur, my favorite offering from CSP. It's soft, subtle, and woodsy, excellent for daywear or eveningwear use. There isn't much to add on top of Foetidus' excellent review, but I'll only add that this one also reminds me a good deal of EA Him Night, only much smoother and more sophisticated (and, seeing the notes of the EA, one sees much in common).

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

Lots of good reviews of this one so far. The peach is most apparent in the opening. Then, it fades and gives way to some soft, approachable florals. As it dries down you're left with a vanilla-floral-fruit accord that is smoothly blended together into one tight, warm, lush scent. It's not as heavy or sweet as Jaipur Homme. Realistically, this is quite unisex, at least for the more daring among us.

Tactics by Shiseido

A smooth, dry green floral fragrance with a somewhat powdery (almost dusty) woodsy base. There may also be a touch of white musk in here, providing a slight "laundry detergent" or "cashmere" quality, but the predominant scent to me is green and floral. It is, for this sort of scent, very long lasting - almost all day. The fragrance I would compare it to is L'Artisan's L'Eau du Caporal, only without that fragrance's signature mint. Pretty good stuff and not dated at all considering its 1979 release date.

Jaïpur Homme Fresh by Boucheron

I am very much in agreement with Foetidus here. A "light" version this may be, but light or insignificant it is not. It is strong, and it does have quite a bit of projection to it. It is lighter, or fresher, than the regular Jaipur Homme, at least it's not as syrupy sweet, with a crisper overall scent. Like the other Boucherons, it's well-blended to the point of being difficult for me to pinpoint individual notes. That said, it is crisper, woodier, perhaps a bit spicier, than regular Jaipur, and not as heavily vanillic. It is to my nose, easier to wear, and in fact, I like it better overall as a fragrance. This is a very well done "fresh" version.

(This review is for the Epicee version, the first of the Jaipur Fraicheurs, so far as I can tell. The Boisee version seems to have come later. Sorry, I cannot get the French accents correct!)

Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume

More a crisp, bright tea than a dark, smoky one. The tea is there throughout, and is the predominant note. In the topnotes there is a smell a bit like a cleaning product. In the middle, I too get something musty, sort of a similar note to that in Messe de Minuit that smells like old books. As the scent dries down, it becomes a soft yet crisp tea scent, sort of like a cup of Lipton tea with some lemon in it. Not dark, spicy, or smoky at all, and not all that complex. In the end, I am left shrugging my shoulders.

the_good_life's avatar

But 'ere wearing Mattiolo
    I would rather go solo.

Tovah's avatar

Calypso Violette by Calypso Christiane Celle

Christiane Celle Calypso Violette is one of only two violet fragrances I've tried that I can wear well; the other being Penhaligan's Violetta. Others smell syrupy-sweet after about 10 minutes and give me a headache. Calypso Violette is a fresh violet, and it's the least powdery violet fragrance I've ever smelled. It has a deep rose undertone that emerges as the initial airy violet notes warm into my skin. The beginning has a raspberry note as well, which transitions to dark violets and dewy leaves, and a hint of white tea. Violet scents usually smell innocent and sweet to me, (possibly because the first fragrance I ever owned, at age 6, was Devon Violets), but Calypso Violette is sexy! The lasting power isn't great, but it's not bad for an edt. In cool weather I refresh it after about 4 hours of wear, and it lasts about an hour longer in hot weather. Violette is quite lovely, and I recommend giving it a try even if you despise violet. It's a really intriguing creation that's also priced reasonably for a boutique fragrance: $55.00 for a 3.4 oz. bottle.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

O.K. This scent is simply bizarre! The lemony citrus opening is great, lasts about 15-20 minutes and then...it's no good. I mean; it just plain stinks. I can't imagine what possesed anyone to create this mess...yet here it lays upon my wrist! I must know, is there anybody who actually wears this stuff? Please let the answer be NO!

Caltha's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Creed

I had to try this because it was created for Errol Flynn and because I love leather. I don't much fancy it though. I don't mind raw, strong leather scents verging on rubber, gasoline and tar, like CdG Synthetics, Lonestar Memories, Cuir Ottoman, Kolnisch Juchten, Knize Ten, Patchouli 24... Cuir de Russie is too "thin" and cold and aggressively metallic/medicinal though. I guess it reminds me mostly of CdG Garage, which is an interesting concept scent but not very wearable, smelling more like gasoline and fake leather car seats than leather.
    CdR starts with very cool birch and very sour lemon and perhaps some of the other notes too combining to a sharp mosquito repellant/felt tip pen scent. Underneath that there's some not-quite-leather, more like fake leather. Very butch but not in the ruggedly handsome way, more like a young model with a chiseled jaw staring coldly into the camera dressed in a brand new punkrocker outfit, metal chains and rubber pants all shiny.
    Not veyr likable but I probably have to keep it nonetheless for the history.

_R$_'s avatar

Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

What a terrible excuse for a fragrance. I've lived in Kansas for 16 years now, and if anyone knows what a thunderstorm smells like, it is Kansans. We open all the doors and windows, turn on the attic fan, and go out on the front lawn to see the storm roll in. Grab a beer, drink some wine, smoke a cigar. It's a time to relax and clear your head. It's the smell of dirt and rain. It's pure. Thunderstorm (The fragrance) has this tense quality to it, with no resemblance what so ever to a real one. I don't know why people think that a thunderstorm smells electric. Define electric. If you mean electricity, you are very mistaken, electricity has no scent. If you mean ozone from lightning bolts, you are extremely mistaken. There isn't enough lightning for you to actually smell ozone. Believe me. I've only smelled it once during a storm, and that's when the tree in our yard got hit. We decided to stay outside a little longer, to see if a tornado would pop up. Thunderstorm is a poor effort, only made worse by people accepting it as the real deal. Come to Kansas sometime you'll see enough lightning and feel the thunder. You'll know a real thunderstorm.
    - Rich

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Brit by Burberry

This is a fragrance I've always felt *should* work for me...but it doesn't. I think the lime is the deal breaker for me - Brit just has too much going on at the same time. It's like a teenager who can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up. It left me wanting more. Funny thing is, I think I'd enjoy smelling this on someone else, I just wouldn't buy another bottle for myself.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

I go back and forth with this one. It's definitely the best CK release since Obsession, but I can't help but think I've smelled this a million times before. However - the more I try it, the more I think it really *is* quite unique. Sweet, yes, but also smokey and rich in a way that I like (has the same "feel" as Trouble by Boucheron). More sophisticated than your run of the mill fruity fragrance, for sure. I can certainly understand its popularity, and maybe that's one of the reasons I hesitate to buy a bottle (hate smelling like everyone else!), BUT I have a feeling a bottle will end up in my collection in the not-so-distant future. ;-) Definitely has the "yum" factor!

jillsy's avatar

Gant Liquid by Gant USA

This fragrance is alright... I like it but it has a common kind of smell and is not anything special. Smells spicy and masculine.

Lavande Royale by Roger & Gallet

I love the smell of lavender, especially fresh lavender. Lavande Royale has none of that. This reminds me of the Jimi Hendrix song, “Purple Haze.” This is a dense, thick cloud of scent; it is the fragrance equivalent of Jimi’s cascading cloud of notes. If a man may express an opinion on a women’s fragrance, I’d suggest lavender lovers need to keep looking. R&G has some lovely scents, I don’t think this is one of them.

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

I have tried Acqua di Selva four times. I was keen to try it because of the favorable reviews and the alleged pine aspect – a quest of mine is to find the perfect pine scent. Each time I come to the same conclusion: AdS has a wierd, obnoxious green note like over-cooked peas or boiled cabbage! I conclude that the oakmoss used here is very aggressive, or maybe the herbal notes are out of control. I really like good fougeres, and appreciate oakmoss as a fragrance component; however, AdS fails in those regards. I think this would scare people away. As for the pine notes, they are non-existent as far as I can tell. I’ve tried most of the pine fragrances listed in the reviews below, and like many of them very much. I am a big fan of the rare Silvestre by Victor, but in my opinion, AdS has no redeeming features at all. Its appeal utterly mystifies me! Perhaps the bottle I keep sampling was stored at Chernobyl and it has mutated into something noxious.

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

Jaguar is very rich and sweet. It has some pleasant green notes (though sadly no pine is evident) but they are overwhelmed by the florals, and the overall effect is too strong for my liking.

Rocabar by Hermès

Rocabar has such potential, such lovely ingredients. In my opinion it fails. Where are the cedar needles? Where is the austere and haunting cypress? Where is the complex, interesting wood? Since the wood notes are named (“Atlas Cedar,” “Virginia Cedar”), I expect something more than a basic wood vibe! I find Rocabar to be a simple, sweet-powdery scent and little else. And there is something here I don’t like, probably a heavy-handed dose of cinnamon or vanilla. The dry-down has some lovely balsam elements but by then the damage has been done. Still too sweet for me. I like Equipage by Hermes very much, but I can’t endorse this one.

Bijan Black for Men by Bijan

I have mixed feelings about Bijan Black for Men. It has some lovely and well-executed elements which I really enjoy. My reservation is with its vanilla. I guess either you love vanilla or you hate it. I like it in food but not on me. In controlled doses, I concede that vanilla adds richness and length to a fragrance; but I find that too much vanilla overwhelms other elements. What is “too much?” My vanilla radar is quite sensitive so others may like this scent. In my opinion BBfM is certainly more successful than Rocabar or Tuscany. This one actually delivers very good wood notes, interesting ones which persist. There is a brisk opening of solid bergamot and crisp pine. The opening and mid are well balanced and are quite enjoyable. Wood and vetiver dance around nicely. Then the dreaded vanilla kicks in and that sweet one-note baked-good samba starts. Maybe I’ll save this for special occasions, like a tour of a cookie factory.

eljeffe's avatar

JHL by Aramis

I can't comment on how well designed this is, I simply don't have the expertise to evaluate it in any absolute sense such as this. For my personal tastes, however, It's easy ... this smells exactly like walking into the apartment of an 80 year old grandmother; That is simply NOT a emotion works for me.

That said, the is something intriguing about it and for that reason alone won't give it a thumbs-down.

ratws's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

Everybody knows that Aramis is the most luxurious-aldehydic type of Chypre a man can wear, may be except the (non-aldehydic) mediterranean original Gucci for men (discontinued). There's no doubt that Aramis is one of the greatest fragrances in the last decades of the 20th century, a real blockbuster, symbol of power and elegance. Indeed, the idea of Aramis was at its birth not brandnew, nevertheless Aramis is much more than a "Cabochard" for men. Some people review it as "overload". It's surely not the only Lauder fragrance what is able to take possession of the environment. But, there are days you get up and think: Today is an Aramis-day, "A 1", I get it. Aramis is a radiant symbol of a certain life-style, but possibly not suited for each high-end-sophisticated nose.(By the way: The finest fragrance for men ever created is Edmond Roudnitska's ingenious "Eau Sauvage". If Aramis would be Richard Wagner's "Wotan", Eau Sauvage would be Mozart's Jupiter-Symphony).

mplonsey's avatar

Arpège by Lanvin

hi there--this is my first review, so bear with me. I own the Arpege EDP an parfum, and I feel very lukewarm about them now. I don't find it exceptional--I would call it my little girl notion of a "French" perfume, almost a stereotype of one. At the same time, if you were looking for a very nice fragrance to give4 someone whose relation to perfume has been restricted to the drugstore, this would be a respectable choice. I certainly don't mean to disagree with anything anyone has said--funny thing is, I have been a devotee of the early Guerlains now for two years, and until I came to Basenotes I thought I must be crazy. I thought maybe I was just being stubborn in not branching out more. They have so much more character than even my first experience of a real fragrance house with the Chanels, which I am sad to find I tire of, except Coco...I'm coming to understand the reasons for these reactions now, thanks to this site. Thank you all for the erudition and extraordinary level of scholarship. I'm overwhelmed!

Zosia's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

This particular bottle of 7ml parfum is about 30 years old. It is almost empty and a little concentrated but lovely...just a dab will create the mystery...powdery, warm, a hint of ferrum, floral, very elegant.