Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Zosia's avatar

Acqua Classica by Borsari

Fresh. Light. Green notes with a subtle, warm base. Borsari lists Citrus, Sage, Geranium, Sandalwood, Leather and Oak Moss essences. Beautiful discrete scent.

Zosia's avatar

Angel Schlesser by Angel Schlesser

Definitely unlike anything out there :). Someone came into the office wearing this and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. Finally had to ask for the name. At first a clear, light, green note...then a subtle spice. Not cinnammon or pepper but a certain spiciness with a hint of powdery rose and mossiness. Finally, an indescribable something that keeps developing. Haunting.

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

I thought this fragrance was wonderful.
    I wore it for as a daytime fragrance for a few months, but bored of it quickly because I didn't find it lasted very long.
    Also I found the drydown had a very powdery scent, kinda reminded me of newborn babies.. hehe.. maybe thats an undocumented note.

Poême by Lancôme

I purchased this and wore it during my last year of high school and into my first year of college. I loved the smell and the tub of body creme made the scent last forever. I had a lot of compliments on it too - from both men and women.
    I would still wear this perfume but I just get bored after a few years of any scent and need to begin the hunt for that next great one.

Trésor (original) by Lancôme

I tried this during my mid/late teens for a few months and it just seemed a bit too old for me. I tried it again about a year ago (I'm now 28), and I still didn't like it on me, but I still love the scent.
    Similar to other Lancome perfumes I've tried, I found the longevity good.

odysseusm's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Smooth, soapy, somewhat sweet and powdery. At times it asserts a cool-minty note but overall it is a sweet aromatic. The wood notes are uninteresting and are overwhelmed by the florals and patchouli. (revised comments)

06 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2012)

Shycat's avatar

Gothic I by Loree Rodkin

I tested a sample of Gothic I against my similiar Jalaine's Patchouli. And they are similiar! Gothic I is a very smooth, lightly euchalyptic patchouli, gracefully married to a complex vanilla, just like J's P. Gothic I is rich, smooth, warm and enveloping. One drop will scent you for 10 hours, easily. It adds a warm cedar note, that take this blend to an earthier level than J's P (which manages to smell blossom fresh by comparison!) As the G. I cedar emerges, the euchalyptic note in the patchouli fades and I suppose this is the key difference between the two. Gothic I is stated a feminine fragrance, but is notably less fem than the Jalaine's, and I feel G. I is truly unisex.
    Sticker shock is a factor, as it's outrageously expensive at $14 dollars per ml and sold in 10ml roll-on. It's quite strong and very concentrated, though not more than Jalaine's which may be had in a 6ml refill bottle for $15.00/ml or kai which comes in a 3.75 ml roll-on at $12.00/ml. Is it worth it? If you love it, of course. I will stick with my Jalaine's!

Shycat's avatar

Tiptoeing Through Chambers of the Moon by Pilar and Lucy

I sample tested this fragrance. I got a sugary sweet vanilla, starts off with pikaki jasmine and settles to a totally non-indolic soft tuberose. It's nice, i can see that, but too too sweet, more that the lightest single spritz would surely be cloying.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Fantastic old-barbershop style opening of neroli and cedar, but lo and behold, after about 10 minutes this behaves itself and gives way to a subtler (but still substantial) midnote, less sharp, more woody (sycamore, some say smells like balsa). This wiles itself away until the final act of Mr. Patchouli and Mr. Vanilla appearing in their silken gowns ready to change into something smarter for a night out with the ladies. Launched in 2003, but surely they have kept the formula hidden for 30 years...?!

F_Frez's avatar

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

A sample my wife got when she bought some Estee Lauder products,and she used it during last winter and spring. Not so similar with the original Pleasures, as it isn't based on so much flowers like its predecesor.

Pleasure Exotic starts with soft citric notes, almost aquatic, then appears tropical fruity notes without turning it in a tutti-frutti mess. Also appears flowered middle notes (maybe the Peonia) and as base note a trace of sandalwood is felt, but without losing the upper fruity and flowered notes.

A fragrance for warm seasons (although my wife used it at the end of winter and smelled nice), for daytime and office use, and also for some evening events (maybe not like weddings or those under formal dressing code, instead romantic ones). For a range of ages over 20 years old, and classic enough for 50-60 years old women.

graffham's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

I have tried Encre Noir, twice.

The top notes remind me of India ink and the hours I used to spend practicing caligraphy when I was young. Sweet, soft, yet composed.

The bottle is memorable and very handsome, like an ink well. And Encre Noire is different from the current offerings.

It is initially, spicey, rich and dark, but it lingers for only a moment. Wait for the eau de parfum as it should be much longer lasting in this format.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Relaxing yet almost too generic scent- however it does smell clean and not too sporty. The sensation of British leisure and outdoor- culture recreated is still a slightly too ambitious, too pretentious promise, as it hardly( and if yes, only a bit) stand out from that specific 90's aquatic sweetness. Average, decent casual scent, good enough to be a light everyday scent.

Carlo Colucci Uomo by Carlo Colucci

The resemblance with Roma( and at a lesser extent Minotaure and Tuscany) is striking. This is also the reason for my neutral rating- it could have been more original. Still, the lasting power is very good, the price more than fair- considering it's one of the most affordable scents in Germany and Austria, yet being a mass-market scent only by the price, never by quality. A fine, slightly Oriental powdery drydown, carefully balanced sweetness, easygoing, summery Mediterranean elegance.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Trendy, but leaves me expecting and hoping for more. It's very discreet and i wonder if this is just discretion or poor lasting power- anyway, the separation between these two is dangerously blured. For me, it starts in a very creamy, almost sweet way, slightly floral, almost with no clue of the citrus- herbal ingredients as listed above. The drydown reminds of scented candles- even with a slight honey and beeswax association, berries, winter fruits and spices, and a certain smoky quality without the usual animalic-leathery-macho touch often associated with smoky male scents, it's more a dim and highly spritualised hint of gentle, subtly fragrant, incense smoke. Tough a discreet, elaborate and youthfully appealing scent, compared to Opium, it lacks the latters lasting power, intensity and high-end timeless stylishness( this one belonging to and triggering a more younger, more flexible, less formal age group). Speaking of Opium it bears resemblance both to Opium- a much lighter and more modern Opium, but also to Kouros, yet without that vile, repulsive unclean stuffiness- as if the few nice notes of Kouros were isolated from the ill-smelling conglomerate and mingled into a more sophisticated and less recognizable broader variety of notes.
    Maybe is have to try this scent during a warmer season- in winter, it seems to be dulled and smell neutral, to wear off soon, but i guess the effect is far more noticeable in summer- i guess, mingled with the right amount of body temperature( just enough to highlight a scent without smelling sweaty or sleazy) and hot air, it might show off its true potential.

Façonnable by Façonnable

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the similarities between this fragrance - CK's Eternity for men and Pleasures by Lauder. All three fragrances are sharp floral fragrances that maintain some degree of fresh base. All three can be cloying if overapplied and all three are underwhelming. Facconable has a fair enough drydown, but is far from interesting. It fits an occasional longing for a floral dousing, but aside from that it's not really a bottle I'd look to replace.

Sables by Annick Goutal

Sables brings my senses to a height that few other fragrances manage to do. Bursting forth with a syrupy sweet opening, Sables reminds me of some of the SL's sweeter offerings. As time progresses.... Sable's magic unfolds. The overtly sweet notes are mellowed substantially by an herbal bouquet that keeps the sugar at bay. Sables is one of those rare fragrances where all the notes just "fit". The longevity and sillage are superior.... and though this fragrance beckons a coolish weather climate, it stuns. I will "never" be without a bottle of this Goutal.

Yatagan by Caron

Whooo-heee, what a scent. How can you "not" love such a forceful stab at fragrance-making? Yatagan is foody, yes.. it's dry and spicy, of course. Will it push others to their knees.. likely. This woodsy herbal concoction is like liquid poison right out of the bottle, but given time to mellow... it becomes quite a natural and alluring fragrance. Hints of drywoods and distant smokey body, mixed with a virile sweatiness.. make this stuff special. I understand the mixed opinions on this one, but pencil me in on the "hell yes" side, my friends.

Burberry for Men (Version #2) by Burberry

Classic fragrance that I can't seem to wrap my head around. As a fan of many Burberry fragrances, I delighted at the chance to try one of the "vintage" formulas. From the get go, the mixture reminded me of a leather belt marinading in a balsamic vinegar dusted with pine needles. It may have been skin chemistry, but this Burberry offering became insanely tangy and cloying on me. I will not revisit this disappointment, and in fact.. my salivary glands are becoming active in just thinking about it (and not in a good way).

Conquest for Men by Agatha Brown

Conquest is an incredible fragrance. It's smooth, it's warm, it's cozy and it's very wearable. Agatha Brown's creation is like a beautiful child.... filled with a natural, radiating beauty, but tentative and self-conscious. Conquest leans towards florals, but inches a foot backwards... waves at amber but recoils a hand slightly. Conquest is a scent that nods at many different varieties but never quite commits to any. This is "not" a fault; however - sort of like an Obsession without the sharpness and Jaipur without the spicy overload. Conquest is slightly soapy, smooth, ambery and wonderful. One of a kind. Sillage is great, longevity could be better.

omniray's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

well, i think that is a great fragance... with many new releases lat 2 years i think this is not bad at all,

"euphoria" share nice fruity/ spicy notes that make it very comfortable to wear,.
    i really like this fragance.. test it, sure u could like euphoria. =)

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

I'm with Gerald on this one being a total surprise. Having enjoyed Neroli Sauvage, Citrus Bigarade, and Bois de Cedrat for some time, I wondered what more Creed could do with citrus. Nevertheless, this one really distinguishes itself and has moved quickly to the top of the pack in my rotation. Even if you've tried all the other Creed citrus scents, don't give up on this one just because it isn't as well known. Worth a try, especially if you can find it in a smaller size than the "Private Collection" huge 250ml bottles.

Royal English Leather by Creed

Far be it for me to dispute with Pluran, but I quite like REL. Is it worth twice the price of Knize Ten or Chanel CdR? Well, no, but as a scent in general it seems every bit as interesting, especially with the much needed tangerine opening that helps to keep it from being too dry and flat. I wouldn't pick this one as my only leather scent (if I had to, that would probably have to be Cuiron), or the Holy Grail of leather scents, but it is certainly a necessity in rounding out the collection of a leather fan, especially if you can find it at a decent price.

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

ZZ is absolutely right about this one; it is probably the best lavender based scent on the market that I've smelled. Unfortunately, at retail it is also probably one of the most expensive, but I have yet to find another that does the lavender so smoothly and softly. Caron PuH has always been a tough one for me to wear (the lavender just doesn't "feel" right on me), but this one manages to stay interesting all the way through drydown.

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

What a changeling. The topnotes are marked by a sharp greenness that is rivaled by none. Seriously, this is a crisp, green opening. As the scent moves into the middle notes, the floral quality emerges and softens the greenness, which is still very much a part of the scent. As it moves into the base, however, it becomes a warm, ambery, spicy scent with just a faint memory of the green herbs and floral notes that were so prominent throughout. Here one can smell the Guerlain family resemblance, especially the deep dry down of Vol de Nuit and Jicky - all related but none the same. Great stuff, and a good so-called "feminine" scent for men who want to explore the Guerlain classics to try out (I would also highly recommend Jicky and Vol de Nuit, amongst others). In fact, I have no idea why this would be considered feminine. It's so green and sharp that it seems to me to be as masculine as it is feminine.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Lots of oakmoss opens this one. Perhaps that's the reason it smells "dated" or "old lady perfumey" to some. The way oakmoss opens always seems very perfumery to me. But wait for the drydown because this one doesn't stop there. Where it goes I can't really tell you...the blending is so perfect. I can tell you that it gets spicy, warm, and ambery in the drydown. I can also say that iris plays a strong role, especially in the middle, but to my nose it's nowhere near an overpowering role. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best uses of iris I've encountered. That note almost always stands out like a sore thumb to me, but here it blends in so well, adding a lush, velvety texture. The deep dry down is just warm, spicy, and ambery - radiating the color dark brown, as well as a classical sort of exoticism. VintageVogue is right on: Vol de Nuit does skirt the masculine. It's not manly, per se, but it's also not distinctly feminine. There is nothing here that would make it difficult for a man to wear. If you haven't already, you've got to try this one to know what makes a classic classic.

Oropuro by Laura Tonatto

I can see how Marlen would find this similar to Or des Indes, but to my nose Oropuro is not as powdery or feminine as that. It is heavy, there is plenty of vanilla, and it is sweet, but it is also smooth with a spicy exotic touch and an animalic presence in the base. In some ways it reminds me a bit of a spicier Habit Rouge, without the citrus component, and with a bit more of an ambery drydown.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Tuscany is a simple but full frag. To me I smell woods, lavender, citrus. The opening is crisp, bright, and sharp. There is something pure and masculine about this, and the name is indeed fitting. As others have remarked it is a linear scent. As it dries it softens, but it does not develop that much. Unfortunately, it does not last long - I get a few good hours out of it. If you're looking for a classically masculine scent, look no further.

LiveJazz's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Pfff L'Anarchiste my foot!

On the contrary, I find this scent to be very orderly and pleasant, as far as notes are concerned. It starts with a nice little minty orange spice accord that sticks around for a good hour. As the orange and mint tapers off, I'm left with very pleasant, soft spices and musk.

I think all the ado with this one is about the mint/orange scent in the topnotes. Those two aren't thrown together often. They might might not get along too well, but seriously, they aren't anarchists. Eventually they simply make friends and part ways, leaving the always calm and dependable spice and musk notes to take over. Great, great scent...just don't overthink it.

Tovah's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

This is the most radiant and happy scent of any vintage fragrance I know. Its orange blossom is bright and sunny and its amber kick is timelessly sexy. I love the roll-on deodorant as well as the fragrance spray. Something about Chantilly always cheers me up, and I think it's lovely, feminine, and summery.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

Royal Baine de Caron in the year 2007 doesn't strike me as being unisex whatsoever...but...when I reflect upon the year & inspiration of it's creation this fragrance begins to make sense! In 1941 most people were not bathing on a daily basis. More like once a week. Imagine trying to impart a sweet and clean aroma intended to last a full 7 days - especially on a man's body!? Soooooooo, in today's world of daily scrubbing we must revise our application of this wondrous elixir. Being a lover of bath/body products ~ this one's a cinch for me. RBdC is best enjoyed (IMO) by adding a few drops to the bath water. Soaking in scented water leaves a light and lush wash of fragrance upon the skin, creating a great base for your personal choice of scent for the day. In the heat of summer, sometimes perfumed water is enough adornment for the body! When used in this manner, I find RBdC to be joyful, clean and fresh ~ a wonderful way to start (or finish) any day!