Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Notes:
    Top: Citrus, Lime, Lemon, Bergamot
    Heart: Petitgrain, Neroli, Citronella
    Base: Orange-flower, clove

West Indian Limes (WIL), released in 1870, is probably T&H's best seller. West indian lime, the fruit, is small and less juicy than other lemons and lime, but has the best tangy and refreshing lime aroma. I had high hopes from WIL after trying the excellent T&H WIL scented shaving cream, but wasn't very impressed.

Going by the notes structure, I expected a consistent citrus output throughout the duration of the scent; there are a host of citrus fruits in the top notes, neroli in the heart, and orange flower in the base indicating so. The reality is that WIL is impotent, yet can go on for hours (well, by citrus standards). The opening is zesty and refreshing with lots of lime and lemon which unfortunately lasts for only 2 minutes before melding into a floral-citrusy-woody heart of petitgrain. Yes, petitgrain is the king of this West Indian juice. Possessing that distinctive woody-dry yet every so slightly floral heart, the petitgrain accord slowly squeezes every last bit of juice from these small west indian limes in a scintillating authoritative display of flexing its clout over the proceedings. I get the slightest hints of clove in the drydown, and while the limes last all but 2 minutes, the petitgrain stretches the longevity to over 6 hours (albeit discreetly).

If you like petitgrain, WIL will interest you. I have tried many better more potent citruses, but considering that WIL was released over 125 years ago, its somewhat impressive (from a historical perspective). A commoner like me would not have been able to afford this in 1870 (I would probably be dousing myself with the inferior 4711 instead). WIL is no lemon, but in 2007, it just comes off a bit derivative...and common.

signature's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Coconut and lime? Without a doubt! Summer fun? Sure. Unisex? Ehhh, maybe. Coconut and lime are the stars in this production but all of the other bit players in the pyramid play their supporting roles well in order to create a scent that is sweet, but not heavy or cloying. With coconut sharing the billing in this show it's unisex nature can easily come into question. I find this fragrance falls into the same category as Un Jardin sur le Nil, a womens scent that a man could wear in certain situations. Jardin sports a crisp grapfruit note that gives it range across most summer applications whereas Virgin Island Water's Coconut lends itself more so to outdoor/fun applications.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

blenheim bouquet is a very traditional,conservative and aristocratic fragrance.Fresh,light and clean edt.Decent,elegant but formal.The opening is fresh-you may smell lavendar,pines and lemons -all in a pleasant way.The drydown is in my eyes too medical-you may have the sensation that it smells like in lab or a dentist´s office but not uncomfortable-interesting and special-definitely unique! not very longlasting.anyway this is a very interesting and well done scent-timeless and you will never make a mistake wearing it-it is a distinguished scent with the touch of nobility and sophistication .this green fragrance is definitely better than all other green fragrances on the market. do not expect a loud, dominating and intruding fragrance-this scent knows absolutely it´s superiority.this is definitely upper class and does not have to show off.great and fantastic scent-that has everything -style,class, character and masculinity.i appreciate that they haven´t change the bottle since the first launch and the bottle and package is wonderful too.this is absolutely the top of perfumes.oh, one little remark-hammam bouquet is so gorgeous and outstanding too!!!

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Narcisse Noir by Caron

Pungent opening, then could be nice powdery warm orange, but has persistant bitter medicinal note. (dried orange peels) 2 hrs later still too bitter. In love with other Carons so tried again.. light application better, but just don't like the feel- cold & cynical, more sharp than sweet.

Pale_Empress's avatar

England England

Nuit de Noël by Caron

Fabulous. Restrained, elegant, discreet - yet warm & comforting too. As other reviewers have noted, the individual notes can be elusive. At different times I have detected carnation, rose, sandalwood, roast chestnuts & slight smoky quality. On other occasions, I find it difficult to detect any individual notes, rather an elegant harmonious whole. This review is based on the EdT. I have started saving now to buy the parfum for next winter.

CEH's avatar

Chelsea Flowers by Bond No. 9

Perhaps the only thing missing from this bouquet is carnations. It is a true floral, somewhat of a rarity in today's newer perfumes. It certainly has lasting power; when I used it as room spray the scent lasted several hours!

GMRJen's avatar

B.Clean Energy by Benetton

This one is great after a workout. It's so light I use it more as a body spray.

Durban's avatar

Spain Spain

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

What do I ask for in a fragance? First of all it has to smell nicely, It can be oriental, spicy, woody, fresh, dark, warm, green, red or purple, I don't care. This one smells ok for me. So thumbs up.
    Second thing I ask is the fragance to be unequivocally recognizable from the moment you've smelled it just once or twice. This one doesn't come up to my expectations here. So thumbs down.
    I can only smell bergamot all over the scent. Yep, maybe a bergamot-vodka drink. Or maybe it's just me.
    Anyway, all in all it's a quite fresh and wearable one, so give it a try.

christosheppy's avatar

No. 89 by Floris

All I know is my girlfriend loves it. Good enough for me.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Diavolo by Antonio Banderas

weak, and there is a note so bad that almost sicks...it doesn´t worth
    horacio from buenos aires

scamp's avatar

Lily Dior by Christian Dior

Too green and such a strong/lasting lily of the valley scent Yeven though it only bought th EDT) that I can't wear it. If you've fair skin/blue eyes I would strongly advise advoiding this scent.
    On someone else I'm sure it would be delightful as it is a lovely lily of the valley spring time fragrance, but not on me.

scamp's avatar

Joop! Femme by Joop!

Has some smokey depth & my husband loves it on me.

sangolrock@aol.com's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Lynx Orient / Axe Orient by Axe / Lynx

hi all me like all of you would give anything almost to get more lynx oriental,i loved java,nevada,alaska,musk and inca aswell.i did get a letter back from lynx saying that they are not thinking about taking these fragrances back in the near future.java deodorant is on sale on ebay about £10.00 a tin.if by any chance i can get my hands on oriental i will let you all know.

flathorn's avatar

Sculpture by Nikos

Edit: What is it with the difference between samples and full bottles? I loved the sample, bought a bottle, and was out of love halfway through the bottle. I don't dislike it, but the remainder of the bottle languished. I think what finally got me was the tarragon note. It can be somewhat anisic, and a dominant anise note doesn't appeal to me. It began to feel cool, and the biggest problem was I could smell tarragon all the way through to drydown. I have to change my review from a thumbs up to neutral.

Cassified as a refreshing floriental, more refreshing than floriental, perhaps even vaguely aquatic. it's a low-sillage, light-handed fragrance, and is subtle from top to bottom.
    Top: Peach, Freesia, Tarragon, Lemon
    Heart: Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Cyclamen, Muguet
    Base: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedar, Benzoin
    Tarragon is a distinctive anisic-type note, and though handled with judiciousness, and played off against the fruity and floral components to good effect, it was everpresent. Its herbal quality stood out in the watery, light opening, and modified the fruity floral top. It gave an edge to the more floral heart also. The drydown was predominantly sandalwoody benzoin with a note of tarragon, and was subtle-noted and easy-to-wear. It smells naturalistic and pleasant, has no ozone, and evolves well, but you have to enjoy the presence of the tarragon because it's there for the ride. I love the amphora-shaped bottle - it's clean and sleek.

07 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2013)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Aspen for Men by Coty

Well, there are worse. Stetson, Raw Vanilla and other Coty abominations come to mind.
    This one is, as noted earlier, a dime store cologne.

How the mighty have fallen!

CoL's avatar

Rykiel Man by Sonia Rykiel

Sonia does it again! A very unusal fragrance which does remind me of a Spazio scent as stated below. Too dificult to describe really but try before you by as it is very different!

Joe_Frances's avatar

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

This is Santa Maria Novella Pot-pourri's out of control love child. Maybe not Pot-pourri, just pot, in various senses of that word. My inital reaction was "this is awful!". And that was my view for a long time. The elements attack each other and the wearer. The drydown is pretty nice, and appealing, but that's a three hour wait, which for me is the time it takes to fly down to Orlando, and that is too long to wait.

Avante garde so be on your guard. This is tough stuff.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Patchouli by Lorenzo Villoresi

As an unashamed Villoresi fan, I was happy try his Patchouli, and found it very minerally and spicy at first. The drydown went to a soft natural affect that to my mind was warmly "feminine" that is subdued and refined. I like this but wouldn't wear it myself. It would be perfect for Debra Winger. Someone should send her some.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

This is a nice original fragrance. It reminds me a LOT of One Man Show by Jacques Bogart. I did prefer Moods or Spazio by Krizia and just don't understand whey they would discontinue these two fabulous fragrances. I suppose it all boils down to corporate greed and inconsideration of the loyal customers who would have continued to wear these fragrances. I've noticed some of the newer fragrances and "relaunches" are weak. Just bought a "relaunch" of Calvin for Men, and it definitely smells different from the original, a little less sweet with too much oakmoss. Who are are perfumers concocting these relaunch fragrances? Don't they stay true to the original recipe, or are they "screwing" around with the formula thinking the public will like it better? Well, I like the original, so STOP "screwing" around with the original formulas!! Thank you.

sherrie11's avatar

Blu Notte by Bulgari

The only problem I have with Blv Notte is the galanga, which I've found out is ginger. I knew there had to be ginger in there! For some reason, ginger goes all strong and man-cologne'ish on me - it takes over. But the drydown is soft and very nice. It lingers softly on the skin for hours, and it smells refined, nicely composed, articulate. The dark chocolate is just a touch, not overbearing or tooth achingly sweet. It's a nice fragrance, and I'm glad I tried a sample, but I won't be buying a bottle. I can't do the galanga.

the_gabba_goul's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This scent is an affirmation that there is still magic yet to be discovered in this world...

It's a trip to a strange place, to find new things you've never experianced before. It's calm, relaxing, and yet, there is a livelyness that sparkles just above the surface.

The initial spraying is a bit soapy or almost "fizzy"...it kind of reminded me of opening up a Sprite or something...but it quickly mellows out, and warms up just a bit...it takes on a powdery scent as the day progresses. Very clean and crisp...

the_gabba_goul's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

A completely grown up and sophisticated scent...

It reminds me of walking into a spice shop, the perfume of exotic spices and perhaps some coffee or something meld together to create something that is distinct to that place. This scent seems to do the same thing, it smells exotic, foreign, absolutely out of this world...

It's warm, wearable, and deffinately smart...

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Acqua di Genova Colonia by Acqua di Genova

Notes:
    Lime, Bergamot, Orange, Neroli, Lavender, Rosemary;
    Jasmin ,Rose, Neroli;
    Patchouli, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk.
    Nice. The top note citrus here is not lemon, but lime, which makes a considerable difference, as you know if you like Caipirinhas - or the various traditional English lime colognes. The lime note is sharper, brighter, zestier than lemon, as well as lighter and makes for a nice citrus sparkle. The other top notes are typical Eau de Cologne ingredients, so, not surprisingly, this bears a resemblance to Guerlain's Impérial, du Coq or Farina Gegenüber. It is sweeter though, and florally so, through the midnote presence of neroli, rose, and jasmine in particular. Of those I know, Coq comes closest, in fact, as it also contains jasmine, but it has a stronger herbal counterweight, while Genova fuses the jasmine, rose and neroli into a soft floral impression, reminiscent of the recently acquired Azahar by Adolfo Dominguez. As always with EdCs do not expect too much from the basenotes, they are at best very subtle. Compared to the better known EdC in the neighbourhood, Acqua di Parma, this is softer, lighter and a good deal more feminine. Parma’s lemon entwined with rose is almost assertive in contrast. Thus, if you find Parma too floral or short lasting, Genova is a definitive nono. Personally I clearly prefer Aqua di Parma, as the lemon is deeper and the smooth rose darker (relatively speaking), longer lasting, simply with more oomph to it. For hesperides I’ll choose Farina or Guerlain, for florals Asprey or, better even, Dukes of Pall Mall Cotswold, which delivers white blossoms in a manlier fashion. Genova is a well-made scent, an Italian spring day in a bottle, but due to its floral sweetness it will not become a huge favorite of mine. Nonetheless, fans of classic Colognes are obliged to try it and draw their own conclusions.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Could have fooled me...I didn't realize this scent was specified as 'masculine' until now! Comes off a little sweet, I interpret it to be more unisex. ZZTOP's commentary is oh so true ~ and I also detect a leather like note. Possibly the dry moss lending a smokey edge to the base. The top notes are vibrant and herbaceaous, lingering only long enough to direct your attention to the smooth drydown. A quite nicely done fragrance, I might actually wear it for myself!

Words's avatar

Tommy Summer Cologne 2005 by Tommy Hilfiger

Light, soapy, and extremely fresh. Has a subtle marine accord throughout. Quite possibly the best Summer version of any cologne I've ever tried. Absolute perfection!

Shalimar by Guerlain

The parfum is out-of-this-world. I never used to understand why people liked this fragrance--the EDT was lost on me soon after application. That was before the pure parfum graced me with its presence. Deep, deep vanilla. Smooth, extravagent vanilla. At the onset is a well-balanced citrus note. The sweet vanilla it is tempered by a woody, resinous note that brings it out of cookie land and clearly into the Oriental realm. The warmth is palpable. Yet that cold, bitter note stands like a stone in counterpoint to the rich sweetness. The drydown is pure, rich, creamy, and sweet, sinking deep into the skin. Opulent yet comfortable. This fragrance deserves its popularity.

Chamade by Guerlain

I have the honor, the divine pleasure, of trying vintage Chamade. I assure you, there is nothing like it on the market today. From the start, it exhibits a strength that is incredibly soft, or a softness that is incredibly strong. This is as integrated as a perfume can be; all the notes are joined in unity to create an entity whose sum is greater than its parts. If I had to name one note, it must be hyacinth. If this is hyacinth, than I am a hyacinth fan forever. Also ylang-ylang, and an underlying smooth sweetness, like vanilla and spice. Chamade smells like spring in perfume form. It is like a lilac bush in full bloom, poignant and insistent. The masses of heady, ethereal blossoms are so powerful but so natural that they can be inhaled fully without becoming overwhelming. I don't want to think about the reformulations, but if I ever get a chance to find the current parfum, and it smells anything like the vintage, it shall be mine.

Samsara by Guerlain

A big surprise. This is excellent--magical. I love it. I once tried a store tester on papar and hated it--I thought the terragon was revolting. On the skin, it is a totally different story. Samsara is a wonderful fragrance. It has won me over. Fascinating, cool vanilla and sandalwood with florals and spice. Overall, the fragrance affects me in the same manner as heliotrope, smooth and cool like vanilla ice cream. On my skin it becomes a shifting melange of flowers (feminine but not cliched) with a creamy/spicy base. Smooth, slick, sleek. Blends totally with my skin. Sinks in, takes hold, and spreads its fluid layer of seductiveness. Warning, buy the EDP. Unlike most Guerlains, the pure parfum is actually inferior, with a strange plasticy, coconut note. The EDP was truer to the intent, with the emphasis on the vanilla and jasmine notes.

08 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 22 April, 2008)

Purple Fantasy by Guerlain

Does a Purplebird love a Purple Fantasy? There must be some truth to color analysis because the answer is, yes!
    This sends me to the rafters. An exemplary apricot and sandalwood fragrance. I am sniffing every molecule off my hand. Opens with a fragrant note of green tea with jasmine, coupled with osmanthus and apricot (I describe both notes because they both occur support eachother.) There must be an exotic coconut note working some magic in this formula. The whole is buoyed by a perfect, elegant sandalwood base. I can hardly describe how adddictive this is. It just grows and blossoms as one wears it. The quality is evident. This is deep and three-dimensional. Wouldn't you know, this is hard to find? Why do I have to fall for a perfume that I cannot buy? It was was created in limited edition in 2001 by Jean Paul Guerlain, and reissued in 2005 in Paris. I can only locate a tiny one-ounce bottle of EDT concentration. Purple Fantasy is a dream come true. But, like most dreams, I wake up, and it eluded my grasp.

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

Mahora is the best tuberose fragrance I have ever smelled. It does not sit on my skin like most tuberose scents, screaming with treble notes. It goes on with all the sweetness of tuberose--plus more--neroli and jasmine and ylang-ylang. These are big, very sweet florals, but well-blended. Just when I think, "It's too smuch. It won't work, it is like all the others," something amazing happens. Instantly it drops down a notch, goes wide and smooth. A deep vanilla note sounds like a brass gong, pulling the treble down to bass. A hush falls over me. A tuberose that works, and works gloriously. Discontinued, sadly, tragically.