Fragrance Reviews from March 2007

Aqua Allegoria Foliflora by Guerlain

Lovely apricot fragrance, coupled with perfect gardenia, and a bit of freesia. All are favored notes of mine. This fragrance starts with a sweet-sour combination, moving toward sweetness and presented over an amber and sandalwood base. It is delicate and pleasing. Nothing sophisticated here, nothing complex to decipher, only an extremely wearable, likeable fragrance. Sometimes that is all one needs.

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A fresh, light, but strong fig leaf fragrance. Green and woody, with plenty of the realistic, pungent "sap." This smells like summer, like walking through an overgrown garden, snapping twigs and stems on the way, releasing the almost sneezy aroma of weeds and new plant growth. I cannot call it classicly "pretty" because it smells real and raw. I will say that it is beautiful because it smells wild and natural. Only at the end do I finally receive a more traditional perfume-like note of light, sweet powder. This fig-leaf note is revolutionary to the green family of fragrances.

Vétiver by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The more I smell of vetiver, the more I learn abou this faascinating note. Just when I think Iknow what it smells like, I sample a different version and marvel at the contrast. This one threw me the most, because it was the simplest. For example, how much citrus aroma is due to the vetiver, and how much is added as supporting notes by the perfumer? How much harshness, smokiness, or spiciness for that matter? LIke all good L'Artisan fragrances, this one is clear, stripped of unnecessary flourishes. And the vetiver is clear, only mildly lemony, and without a trace of harshness. It is clean but not at all soapy. It is grassy but not even woody. This simple frangrance has taught me alot about what vetiver is, and even more about what it is not. Chances are, if you think you don't like vetiver, you just might be reacting to the supporting notes. Try this one--it could change your mind.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Sawdust and feces at eh circus, like the description says. Sweet benzoin throughout, like a whiff of cotton candy. The castoreum is right out front, unadorned. Fecal notes do not deter me in a perfume; I find that animalic notes add to the attractiveness of a fragrance. However, these are the centerpiece of the fragrance. I wait for the development of something pretty, but all I get is sweet fecal notes. Later, some leather or latex creeps in. Overall Dzing smells like horses on me.

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a gorgeous amber fragrance, vanilla and spices (cinnamin and nutmeg) soft and pliable, fusing with the skin in one great sigh of comfort. I bury my nose in it and breathe deeply. The vanilla deliciousness of Shalimar, only lighter and without the lemon. An amber caress, sharing this particular characteristic of Chanel No. 5. Delicious, natural, and approachable. A teriffic scent. I take issue with the "extreme" in the title. Usually this term is associated with excess, but there is nothing overdone about this fragrance. It is mellow, agreeable, and appropriate for all ages and attitudes. In fact, I would prefer it stronger and more longer-lasting. Would that make it Amber Unattainable?

Jacinthe des Bois by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Now here is an original floral--tulip and narcissus, very clear and transparent, almost watery. STrong and heady like lilac, these flowers are see-through and ephemeral. I am seeing red, purple, and green--the flowers overlaid on leaves of galbanum. It is cool, there is still snow on the ground, but their strong, waxy petals poke into the spring air on hardy stalks. This is a must-smell for floral-lovers, quite stunning

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Fresh, tangy pineapple, some sweet lemonade or orangeade, and a lovely touch of cedar. The top notes are delicious, fruity, and (yes) fizzy. Not very long-lasting, but fun and enjoyable.

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

How refreshing--a spearmint perfume. I love spearmint, and it remains the dominant note throughout this fragrance. I also smell green tea and jasmine, one of my favorite teas. And the surprise finish which had me cheering? Powder. It dries to a nice powder. High marks for creativity--not for creating a "work of art" that is difficult to wear, but for creating the clearest, simplest presentation of mint in perfume imaginable. Brave--not bold. Unusual--not strange. Food for thought--olfactory, that is.

l'eau de parfum #3 green, green, green and green by Miller et Bertaux

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This strikes me as a masculine fragrance. It is dry and smoky, with only a touch of sweetness. Cedar is the first note that I recognize. It is quite woody and outdoorsy. There is a smoky incense note that is soft yet persistent. A light sweetness occurs in the form of cardamom or peony, a bit green and sugary at the same time. The development is interesting, ending up like a warm, glowing ember on my skin, smoldering like green twigs in a campfire. This is an unusual, stand-out fragrance that has one of the best presentations of the smoke note.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I'm surprised cedar isn't listed since to my nose this is a single note cedar scent. And I don't mean that in a bad way, I love cedar. I guess it's the general peppery/woody composition. It's not strong and harsh and butch, like it may sound from the notes, it's certainly nothing like the 70ies scents. It's very 21th century, sort of ethereal and polished and refined and easy to wear. Perhaps a tad weak, even, but I still enjoy it a lot. Its popularity is well deserved.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Insanely sweet and strong, especially for a "unisex" fragrance. Smells like a cloying, gourmandy feminine fruity/floral to me rather than a unisex oriental. I think I detect a cool and perfumey hint of anise in there, but very sweet, almost more like liquorice. Not horrible in any way, just generic and overly sweet.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

One of the better leather chypres out there. A calm and balanced scent that's not fussy, too macho or overly sweet, with just the right doses of spice, warmth and a hard edge. The leather in Or Black has a slightly chemical feel to it which sometimes brings to mind Cuir Ottoman or Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia, but that doesn't spoil it a bit.

millsyboy's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Hi have to admit that on my skin it did, indeed smell very animalic - blood, semen, sweat. The blood notes, in particular, stand out and make me wince. Is it something that I would like to wear? No. Do the idea and execution of this fragrance fascinate me? Absolutely.

tvlampboy's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

Marvelous scent -- truly one of the very best out there. Imagine Bois de Portugal with a more powdery drydown and just a touch less citrus. SPLENDID opening and wonderful drydown period. Lasts a very long time, too, and has superb sillage.

Coco by Chanel

Simply gorgeous, a masterpiece floriental, one of the best perfumes in the world. This take a certain sophistication to wear well. Other perfumes come and go, but this and Opium will always have a place in my collection.

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

An assertive, overtly sexual fragrance that I really, really like. As with most Chanel perfumes, this requires a certain sophistication and assurance to wear well. Best suited for the evening and cooler weather. Incredibly potent and long lasting, only a *tiny* spray is needed. Any more than that and this would easily overwhelm and become annoying to those around you. It's lovely and worth a try if you enjoy fragrances like Coco and Opium.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

WOW. One of the best new releases in years, and destined to become a cult classic if not a true classic. Impossible to draw comparisons, as it is like nothing I've ever smelled. A true example of artistry in perfumery.

Powerful opening - earthy, boozy, dark, slightly dangerous, intoxicating. The truffle note is brilliant!. So thick, it feels like velvet on the skin. Evocative...conjures up images of a moonlit dark forest heavy with evening mist...night blooming flowers...witches burning ceremonial incense. I feel mysterious and powerful when I wear it. Unlike others, I do not find the drydown disappointing at all; it may not be as explosive as the opening, but the vanilla/sandalwood/incense combination is very well done and so relaxing...like that peaceful feeling after an intense orgasm. To me, wearing Black Orchid is the olfactory equivalent of fantastic sex. Needless to say, I won't ever be without a bottle...

08 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 27 June, 2008)

linnea's avatar

Intense Tiare by Montale

This fragrance is amazing. It makes me feel like I'm lying in a languid rich bath of coconut milk and gardenia (tiare) flowers. It is utterly sensual and gorgeous. I tried a sample from dear Vijay and immediately knew it was bottle-worthy. The gardenia is light and intoxicating, and its gently supported by gentle waves of coconut milk, jasmin, ylang-ylang and a tiny hint of vanilla. It smells very fresh and almost green when you first put it on, and then it just gets richer and more nuanced as it warms on your skin. Excellent longevity.

neal's avatar

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

One of my all time favorites. Cotton Candy and Tobacco. Very masculine.

Atlanta1's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

I just bought this fragrance without ever trying it out based on the comments here. Wow! What a veeeery pleasant surprise! I love it! A soft, warm oriental imbued with class and distinction. Classic and new. A long-lasting scent. This will definitely become a part of my inner-circle fragrance wardrobe that I feel will be appropriate for any time of the year, formal or office (but not casual).

dimples's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

I've nabbed some samples of this last week. I'm a woman and I've tried it on myself. I really like it.

As others have said, it's dark yet soft. I found it elegant and subtle at the same time. My nose did not detect the ink so much, as I'm unfamiliar with ink smells. I smell mainly wood in the initial spray and as it dried down, it smells rather "earthy". It lasted a long time, about 8 hours on me.

I think it is a really very unusual scent, it would be something I would wear in fall/winter with my black cashmere turtleneck sweater.

Oviatt's avatar

Blend 30 by Dunhill

This was a great fragance and does not deserve its early demise. Complex herbals and florals (I could swear that there was a violet note)were perfectly ballanced and created a real one of a kind scent worthy of the Dunhill name. The musk and Tonka were excellent in the dry-down... and what a bottle! The official line at the time of its being discontinued was that the natural ingredients were too expensive for them to continue with production--not sure if that is so, but it makes sense, as this was great stuff. Dunhill regained some lost ground with their excellent Edition, but they have been on shaky ground ever since....

ozkat's avatar

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Orange Blossom smells divine, but it's a bit too literal for me. I think a layering of this along with a vanilla or a jasmine (more creative members can come up with better combos than my predictable ones) would make this a lot more wearable, while still keeping the vulnerable, sweet, honest, blossomy heart.

ozkat's avatar

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

Mmmmm....this is so yummy and it smells positively edible - but not in a gourmandy way. It smells more like a juicy cocktail - but not in an Escada way. It's quite sweet but isn't sickly and I don't think it would appeal to teenage girls. I couldn't pick up on too much honey, but there is actual nectarine and peach in there, as well as the blossoms. The longevity is very poor, as is the sillage, but the great thing is that you can keep spraying it on and getting those delicious juicy topnotes.

A great spring/summer fragrance for women who want to smell wispy and delicious.

generalmannager's avatar

Norway Norway

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

The smell in this fragance is extraodinary it was just what i was looking for to wear for this summer. The only thing that kept me from buying it this week was that it didnt even last 5 minutes on me. I guess my Ph and this fragance are not compatible.

leitwollf's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A few weeks ago i went to a parfume shop and tried this one on my wrist. I thought it was disgusting. So i bought another one and went home.
    At home my girlfriend told me that my perfume smelled super. I hadn't used my new one and remembered that i had tried the Angel Men. And it really smelled very fine after that time. The next day i bought it.
    This one is incredible, and most women seem to like it.
    The problem is, that the top-notes are so intensive that i get a headache from it. So i only take one pump.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Envy for Men by Gucci

I know this smells 'nice' and is high quality. But I can't overrate it as there is an overtly sweet element to it that I hate - sickly sweet and that's a pity . 'cos its actually allright. Try B4 you buy.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

Initially thought it had some resemblance to Miracle but after wearing it several times it has earned its stripes as an individual indeed. Initial offering of very green fern notes which relax the body and mind if you want then to. Then a mellowing into almost sweet-but not enough- mids of other greens (coriander, bergamot, rhubarb, cedar) and then a subtle and fairly long lasting ending of guaiacwood, vetiver and rosewood which are a bit sweeter. All this and never assuming, in your face or wanting to make a loud statement. Excellent alternative to aqua types and definitely for daywear. All round excellent scent from Lancome.

F_Frez's avatar

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Tried this fragrance a couple of years ago, when used a little 1,5 ml spray I got as a gift after buying some fragrances.

As head notes it starts with a citric aroma, like soft oranges. Later at middle notes it gets greener, maybe its thanks to the Mytle note, but I didn't felt the cardamom note. At base note the main note is green vetiver, plus a bit of musk.

For my taste it's so much classic and minimalist. The fragrance remembers a lot some basic notes from other colognes, but didn't add nothing different or special. After several minutes, all the notes tends to a plain blend. For summer use, a fresh cologne for daytime use or office use, as it isn't intrusive. Range of age over 25 years old.