Fragrance Reviews from April 2007

laurent's avatar
    laurent
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

The scent will not give you an "earthquick" orgasm but in my opinion this the most BEAUTIFULL and ORIGINAL presentation ever for a perfume.

I am normally agaisnt all beautifull bottle with "bad" scent but the perfume itself is good here.

The "snow flake souvenir glass" style is replaced with a women and gold leaves - it is just the most original presentation and yes it is just taking a simple idea and develop it.

Well done to the designer

a trippple thumb up

laurent

omniray's avatar
    omniray

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Great fruity with an original base, not for everyone.. sweet but with a balance between the lemon and light woods... strong at firt spray but then u have a nice fruity - sensual base like no other...

RuffDawg's avatar
    RuffDawg

Mackie (new) by Bob Mackie

I've loved this scent since its debut in 1991. Its a warm, sweet, fruity scent with a nice woody vanilla infused drydown. This is a comfort scent for me, it makes me feel warm, happy and comfortable anytime I wear it. Vanilla isnt listed in the note pyramid above, but there has to be some in there, well my nose sure thinks there is anyway, maybe its a combo of some of the other notes that give me an impression of vanilla, I dont know. This scent smells very good on my male skin, its not "perfumey" at all on me. There isnt another fragrance in the entire world that smells like Mackie, well not that I have come across yet. This one is very unique. I wish the body products were easier to find. Years ago there were many different Mackie products available, sadly now all thats in production is the EDT and the body lotion :o\ Also, it is no longer owned/manufactured by Riviera Concepts of Canada. Elizabeth Arden Inc. bought out R.C. and acquired their entire scent portfolio. I hope they dont change Mackie's formula, or discontinue it all together.

01st April, 2007 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2008)

sherrie11's avatar
    sherrie11

Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

There are several BBW Cherry Blossom scents. I have the pink one that's just called "Cherry Blossom" in shower gel, body lotion & body spray. I smell cinnamon, mimosa, some very sweet maraschino cherry and sandalwood. I like it, but the sandalwood becomes very strong on me, which also happened with BBW's Warm Vanilla Sugar. My skin seems to grab onto sandalwood and won't let go. I wish the other notes would last as long. I like trying the various BBW stuff, though, especially the shower gels. They're fun. A cheap thrill. :-)

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Growing up Catholic, the smell of frankincense & myyrh always struck me as 'stinky'. It still does. Yet, this Passage d'Enfer - stinky notes and all - amazes my senses! Rach2jlc mentions spicy sausage which I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH! Panfried Italian sweet sausage bursting with fennel seeds! And get this - beneath those heavily incensed notes there is a light sweetness - like grandmother's prayers floating directly up to heaven on angels wings. How ironic, considering the name. Remarkable, this scent. For creating such vivid imagery I must give Pd'E thumbs up. How few fragrances have this ability.

01st April, 2007 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

Powdery & sweet. I love gourmands, but this one doesn't stun me. For my taste, I wish this elixir would surrender to either the powder or the sweet; I really can't handle the overwhelming intensity of both together! Drydown brings welcomed relief from the extreme concentration of notes, and is quite beautiful. This one must be used sparingly. IMO Sweet Oriental Dream is decidedly feminine. Quality too.

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Notes: Lavender, Amber, Incense, Sage

If like me you are wary of the sometimes scarily oriental fragrances that Mr. Sheldrake puts out, dont worry. Encens et Lavande (EL), like Iris Silver Mist, is one of those atypical Serge Lutens fragrances and is better for it.

Lavender and incense play a big part in EL. The lavender isn't sharp and piercing like as in Caron Pour homme, and lends a cool and fresh angle to the waves of smokiness brought on by the incense. Theres are hints of some herbal elements in the composition but they are very much subdued by the dominant lavender-incense accord. EL goes quiet within minutes of application, and its no sillage monster like other SL creations. Longevity is good (approx. 6 hours).

EL is a refined, sophisticated fragrance which showcases an excellent lavender note supported by beautifully rendered incense. EL isn't as pure and grand as Creed Royal Scottish Lavender (the best lavender out there), and isn't as playful and fresh as Acqua Di Parma Lavanda Tonica. In some ways, EL smells dark to me. A charming handsome man who's also a silent killer. Wear Lavanda Tonica to office, and reserve EL for close intimate settings.

Asja by Fendi

The name "Asja" announces the presence of an Oriental like a banner waving. Fortunately, it lives up to the big expectations of its name. Here is a spicy Oriental that manages to smell expensive and restrained, different from so many others, even while sharing notes with them. Cinnamon (along with vanilla) give it immediate likeability. There must be more spices than this, perhaps clove (one of my favorites) but far less heavy-handed than the dose in Coco (which I love.)
    The fruit is divine: raspberry, apricot, peach, and bergamot. What a successful combination of aromas. All of it is accomplished without ending up smelling like a fruit salad. Asja is classy, like a glass of wine cordial, or a fruit liquor, with an "aged," blended, "fermented" characteristic that makes it simultaneously strong and mellow.
    This fruity, spicy Oriental shows great restraint in terms of sweetness. Maybe that is what makes it unique. The bottle is gorgeous, a work of art, like black and gold laquored rice bowls.

Djedi by Guerlain

This fragrance is a major discovery, like an archeological dig unearthing a Pharoah's tomb. I can see why bottles of Djedi are selling for $500 and $1,000 on ebay. There is nothing else like it. I'm not going to tell you that it is beautiful. It is arresting. It is stunning. It is majestic. But it is not pretty. If you find "challenging" fragrances unpleasant, don't go near this one with a ten-foot pole. If you yearn for a true fragrance experience, you will be amply rewarded. Djedi leaves all the the others behind in the dust as far as the Goth factor goes.
    In comparison, Voleur de Rose seems natural, like garden soil and dead-headed roses. Messe de Minuit seems familiar, like a poor, old church. Vol de Nuit seems dry and austere but pretty. L'Heure Bleu is a bit melancholy like a lonely old schoolteacher. And Mitsouko is downright tasty, all things relative.
    So, what does Djedi smell like? Why is it so compelling and sought-after? I must return to my archeological dig metaphor.
    Phase One: The top note smells like dirt. It is probably vetiver and/or orris root, but it is very earthy, like shovelfulls of dense clay, full of minerals. One can imagine the door to the Pharoah's tomb opening and surrounded by air that is thousands of years old, so--extremely--dry, not one hint of sweetness or life, only stillness, silence, and an oppressive feeling.
    Phase Two: Now comes my favorite part. It is brief, so look for it quickly. Oakmoss, some spices, a few faint florals and--powder. There it is! The Guerlain signature scent. Yes, this is a perfume--proud, dignified, and astounding. Ancient, dry, austere, and forbidding, Djedi is still meant to be worn.
    Phase Three: Then it lapses into its final, lengthy phase, as captivating as the first two but long-lasting. A growing mustiness overtakes all other notes. It is heavy, sad, and decidedly animalic. It is bitter, strangely herbal, old leathery, and full of civit at it very strongest. I know people who discern civit best in the opening notes of a fragrance, not as it has been listed as a base note. I can understand why. Although civit is persistent (we all have our cat stories to prove it) it can quickly be blended into heavy florals and spices. In Djedi, there is no such coverup occurring. At this point, it smells like a big, old, haunted house, an underground tomb, some dark, dank place of great tragedy.
    How to they make this perfume? Incredible.

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

I love roses. These are sweet and wonderful. And I especially love them whenever they include any wood notes, because it increases their lasting power and gives them some earthiness and warmth.
    Rose + patchouli is one of my favorite combinations of all time, so I'm always looking for variations on the theme, and this one is scrumptious.
    Nowhere near the heavy dollop of patchouli as in Voleur de Rose, and not even close to that of the sweeter, more feminine Une Folie de Rose, this little beauty is almost ediby sweet.
    Rose Absolu opens with a delicious cinnamon note and quickly reveals its base of vanilla-like tonka. Within this deliciousness rests a huge, fabulous blend of Turkish, Bulgarian, and Moroccan rose absolutes. This perfume is much more opulent than the other rose + patchouli fragrances mentioned. It is sweet, deep, rich, smooth, and dessert-like. Honeyed roses hold a hint of patchouli that never overcomes either the roses or the sweetness. It is only later that the patchouli issues forth, creeping delicately through the tonka, and making its presence known mainly because of its contribution to the lasting power of this fragrance, which is excellent.
    So, if the beauty of rose + patchouli attracts you, but you have had little luck due to the strength, mustiness, or harshness of the patchouli, I say, "Look! I found one for you."

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Talisman by Balenciaga

Sipping on a juicy lychee cocktail in a rosegarden. Rather nice, but still too much of a sweet fruity/floral for my taste. I expected something darker and more exotic from a scent named Talisman, this is a very bright and shiny Talisman, like a mock jewel trinket found and revered.

BHMum2's avatar
    BHMum2

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

I smelled this on someone who works in surgery & said this is the least offensive frag. No one has ever complained, and they always do! I actually don't like many perfumes on people if I smell them from 2 feet away, however, this was very nice and agreeable. It was so nice it stuck in my mind as a "must try" for myself.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Time to update one of my early reviews, which at this point embarrasses me to read.

Eau d’Orange Verte (EdOV) is about two things: a bright, natural, refreshing citrus opening and a mossy drydown. Some people say it doesn’t last and I disagree. The topnotes don’t last, but the mossy base stays for hours. Please learn to appreciate both topnotes and drydown! Interestingly I can detect the topnotes in my shirt a day later, but on my skin they don’t last. I should state that I also enjoy the EdOV soaps and shampoos.

I have gone through 2+ bottles of EdOV and I don’t think I will be replacing it. A couple of reasons: first, there are options that give me equally satisfying citrus openings, but greater longevity of the citrus. Secondly, if I want both citrus and mossy tones, I will go to Miller Harris’ Tangerine Vert, which gives a different, but still satisfying citrus opening, coupled with a similar drydown.

Still, I give EdOV a definite thumbs up and remain full of admiration for it. A great EDC!

01st April, 2007 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2010)

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Concentrée D'Orange Verte disappointed me. It did not capture the brilliant citrus opening of Eau D'Orange Verte, but emphasized the papaya note barely felt in the original. I did not care for it.

olfactorysatiation's avatar
    olfactorysatiation

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

WOW. So This fragrance has been on my wishlist since I discovered this website and that it was coming out. I have to say that after owning GPH, GPH 2 is just like it in many ways, there is the common myrrh note but other than it's style that's where the similarities end. It's a very nice fragrance though, the violet leaves are short lived and disappear within ten minutes of application, however the pimento and olive wood are a lil reminiscent of a dirty martini while the cinnamon and the black tea really come out and settle in to the tobacco leaves offer a greenish scent that really helps to make for a very unique frag. If you can imagine what a summer version of the original might smell like, this is it.

tajoh111's avatar
    tajoh111

Axe Lab by Axe / Lynx

A very sweet fragrance, reminds me of Fcuk for him. Very safe and if you want a more natural smelling axe, well I guess this is it. Good for being social, however the lasting power can be a problem.

AceyMan's avatar
    AceyMan

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I am a new reviewer, but after wearing TdH for a week now, the 'm' word comes to mind -- this is a masterpiece. The zesty orange/grapefruit top/middle notes over a great base of wood/soil make for a lovely point and counterpoint. The balance is near-perfect, and the drydown, while fairly linear (as the top notes seem to remain throughout) is delicious. I don't ever want to run out of TdH so am already stocking up early. A must try for any fragrance lover. Kudos, Hermes!

colognewhore's avatar
    colognewhore

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Hmm, I just ordered a bottle of this online and it is on the way. I regret waiting until now to check out reviews on it, since reading the comparisons to CK1 (I hate that, the slightest detection of it ruins my day and any further exposure results in a headache). I was also disappointed to read the reviews that said it could be considered a uinisex frag. Not a fan of those at all. Then, I checked out Creed's website (www.parfusmscreed.com) and it is indeed a unisex frag. Oh well, I just hope it isn't too feminine or CK1-like. Keep your eyes on Ebay for a bargain, SMW lovers.

goofygirl's avatar
    goofygirl

Souvenir d'Italie by Roccobarocco

This is a very nice light to medium scented fragarance, on me it smells like roses and i cannot tell what else but it is very calming, and it has sexy little sparkles in it when you spray it on your skin.

DarylM's avatar
    DarylM

12 by Jean Couturier

I think this is a great scent & I get more compliments on this than on any of the much more expensive fragrances that I own. Ironically, I wore Versailles Homme, Versace L'Homme, 40 Love, Eau Cendree, V.O. & Opium Homme EDP in the 80's & never wore this because it was inexpensive!

benb's avatar
    benb

Vetiver by Guerlain

I have just bought this one. It is a very naturell smelling scent. The bottle is one of the most beautiful ones that I have seen. I really appriciate this one. Especially the wonderful tobacco drydown. As always I do think it could be a little stronger. I recommend it anyway. It is a good scent.
    benb

iamthekow's avatar
    iamthekow

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

It smells like old women at the church I used to go to. Might be funny to mix it with Passage d'Enfer to see what comes out of it, but this does not create a positive olefactory association for me, in any way, shape, or form.

the_good_life's avatar
    the_good_life
    Germany Germany

Park Royal by Anglia Perfumery

I daresay, the only person this fusty concoction would befit is Sir Humphrey Fitzroy-Jones, who has not risen from his chair at the Garrick Club since April 4, 1911.

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Angel Garden Of Stars - Rose Angel by Thierry Mugler

It's been many years since I've worn original Angel, so it's hard for me to compare La Rose with its inspiration. I can definitely say that La Rose is unmistakably Angel, and that I utterly love it. The difference I notice in La Rose vs. Original is that upon initial spray, and for the first hour or so of wear, there is a noticeable rosy warmth amongst the familiar Angel accord. As the fragrance develops, La Rose does not have a certain "melon" note that always turned unpleasant on my skin. Also, La Rose seems to be much lighter on the patchouli as well. I may be inaccurate about the melon and patchouli, because, as I stated previously, it's been years since I've worn Angel. I may understand it in a different way at this time. (Actually, I love Angel and I think it's one of the most superb perfumes ever formulated - I didn't like it on myself). I've always wanted to be able to wear Angel, but I felt it didn't work well on my skin. Well, La Rose Angel works like it was created for me! It's just gorgeous.

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Pearl by Sage Machado

This beautiful perfume seems to have attained legendary status in the world of perfume addicts...and most deservedly so. To put it simply, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, like Sage Pearl. It's a warm, soft, vanilla-sandalwood-musk that somehow manages to shine like crystal and glow like the moon (both in the olfactory sense). It's enchanting, addictive, and superbly sensual. This perfume is lovely at any time of day or night, but I know for a fact that it's perfect for romantic encounters.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Lichee and cardamom beautifully open this breathtaking blend. Attention getting. Followed by peony, iris, tea leaves and incense. The top notes are fresh and cool. Interesting. The dry down brings a little warmth. It is with much pleasure I tell you the incense note is restrained, but lends an almost "Caron" classic urn undercurrent. The iris turns a little musty/dusty on my skin after about 20 minutes. For me, the beginning of Dzongkha is the best part. After that, I can walk away from it with no regret.

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

California for Men by Dana

Dana Recreates Aramis Tuscany and Calls It California! - or almost. This is a delightful, sunny fragrance, very imitative of Tuscany -- almost a drugstore version, but with a slightly sour marine note. Anyhow it's pleasant and good. Fairly long lasting (as are most Dana fragrances) and very reasonable to buy.

I don't think the name is quite right for this, since it doesn't smell like California to me; Mojo by Gendarme smells *exactly* like California. This stuff is more exotic than California. Cozumel? Iquitos? Well no matter, you can make up a name for the admirers.

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

Mauboussin is a rich, sweet Oriental based on creamy peach, bolstered by deep vanilla and patchouli. Imagine a bowl holding an overripe peach--soft, dark orange, bursting at the skin and falling off the pit. Pour on top of it rich cream, add a lot of pure vanilla, and a good deal of sugar. But wait, before it becomes edible, imagine the addition of a well-balanced dose of patchouli, as if the bowl, itself, were wooden. That is Maouboussin. It is like Coco, but less clear and golden, more opaque and creamy. Instead of clove, the sweetness comes from vanilla. Instead of a tree-ripened peach, the fruit is windfall on the ground, ready for winemaking. And when the peach finally fades away, a beautiful, sweet, patchouli-scented vanilla carries on for many hours. I'm a sucker for peach, and this one is just right for me.

Soir de Lune by Sisley

Soir de Lune is, in my opinion, one of the New Chypres, and one with good development and an interesting juxtapostition of seemingling contradictory notes. The opening is the attractive note of pimento, sharp and somewhat salty, but it is paired with rose, creating the Chypre effect of dried roses. Soon, a dusty, sweet powder--with hints of honey and peach--emerges, and this is my favorite part. It rests against a moss and citrus combination that returns the fragrance to its tangy, dry orientation. the development is neither linear nor dramatically changing. Rather, it is circular, causing the wearer to pick up notes over and over, sometimes the sweet ones poking out, then being overtaken by the dry ones or the tangy ones. This is a perfume that doesn't beg to be loved, instead it confidently calls the wearer to return.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Anice by Etro

Opens with a blast of "whoah, I drenched myself with ouzo (or sambuca, if you like)!" Then it's a soft, subdued refreshing/powdery/sweetish anise cologne.