Fragrance Reviews from April 2007

's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

delightfull Gourmand - very good longevity and sillage / projection. However, it is sumtimes too sweet - I highly recommend that you wear this one for special occasions rather then daily/on a rotation. I did and i got sick of the sweetness!

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Firewood / Feu de Bois by Ava Luxe

This is the best firewood scent! Woody, without being a pure wood scent, smoky, without being harsh and bitter, cosy, without being gourmandy sweet. An open fire of birch wood and, although it's not in the description, fir and pine wood.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Kama by Ava Luxe

This is the musk that puts Muscs Koublai Khan to shame. My sister wrinkled her nose and said it reeked of public restroom, while I'd go for the pleasanter barnyard. It does have a feel of manure and unwashed hair, I won't lie about that. But skank-addict as I am I just love it. There's something both comforting and addictive about it, like the familiar scent of human flesh, and the temptation to inhale your own sweat. It has the raw sexuality of Muscs Koublai Khan, but also the "cosy musty apartment"-feel of L'air de rien. Perhaps it's the other notes that peek our through the animalic ones - the rose and the cedarwood - that give a similar feeling of a chic elderly lady's apartment full of exotic scents, rather than the unpleasant smell of the home of some lunatic who never bathes... Kama feels old-fashioned and, yes, elegant. Elegant in a bold way, like a rich eccentric aristocrat who doesn't have to care what anybody thinks. I wouldn't want to smell this on an unkempt stranger with bad breath and ill manners, but on a chic lady with a sense of personal hygiene I wouldn't mind it.

sshak13's avatar
    sshak13

Santos Eau de Sport by Cartier

WAIT WAIT WAIT! this is probably the richest male fragrance ever made. I am falling in love with it. its soooo rare this version. Great creamyness with a citrusy edge. CARTIER NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME!

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

Just alright!, is the innocent perfume with a hit of mimosa,much more praline, the passion fruit is too much IMO (quite sticky), and the amber really doesn´t match in the result.
    Definit. more feminine than the original one,as I found very unisex.
    The company says that is an aquatic-oriental one.
    I don´t find any similarity to the other aquatic ones, but it still have the sticky feeling as the previous ones, so if you didn´t like the original one, you won´t find any excitement new on this one!

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

Basicly smell quite similar to the A*Men Summer Flash but it has the aquatic twist, pretty bloody good, (IMO as i adore aquatic fragrances)
    Some citrus, aquatic notes, coffee (very prominent), seqouia, patchouli and nutmeg.
    Nice! Very masculine

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

This was the first Creed I bought for myself (for a long time I been gifting the men in my life with Creeds)- a FB blind buy at that. Talk about chutzpah!On my older, dryer skin - over a film of (scentless)jojoba oil - she blooms forth all roses, exuberant and lush. My bod loves bergamot which shimmers underneath here and the amber/musk is present almost from the first. I just love it.

Chipre by Madini

Don't you love the differences in body chemistry!! On me (78 year old - slightly dry skin, living at the beach) this beauty is honeyed vanilla and white flowers with only a whisper of green. Very round and elegant, like the classic French ones. Sits close to the skin but has great sillage.

Hanane by Madini

Hanane dries down to Je Reviens on me!! From the many notes I get the galbanum and roses, the jasmine, sandalwood, and clove. The patchouli/balsam are more discreet - have no idea why it ends up being a powdery JR - but it does.

Beautifully composed, Hanane's on my hit list right now.

CuyahogaJoe's avatar
    CuyahogaJoe

Maxims pour Homme by Maxims

One of my top 5 favorites. It very much reminds me of the men in my life (my father and grandfather) Maxims pH opens a little loudly and with a touch of sweetness, but quickly tones down into what is the most pleasent scents I know. Because it reminds me of my grandfather, it is comforting, warm, safe and secure. Buy it while you still can, if you don't like it...I'll buy it from you.

Kevin Guyer's avatar
    Kevin Guyer

Iquitos by Alain Delon

I did so much want to like this, odd-ball, mainstream fragrance. I so much wanted a masculine rose in my wardrobe. Iquitos is synthetic rose married to some very macho notes. Unique to the extreme, but unfortunately it's like Lillian Gish playing James Bond. I wore this out to a concert the first night I got it and someone looked at me and said, 'Granny?' I put it on my swap list the next morning.

Bricktop's avatar
    Bricktop

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

This did not impress me. From the name, I thought it would be summery, and I admit, it opens that way. To me, it reminded me in a very nice way of a gin and tonic with lime. But very quickly, it dried down into a woodsy, leathery scent. Sticking my nose right against my wrist, it smelled of hours old Armani Code or John Varvatos. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it would be a shocker if you bought it after that first blast.

Frank108's avatar
    Frank108

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

The frequently contradictory opinions of Basenotes members continues to amaze me.

In this case, I think I agree with the producers of the fragrance: Dunhill Fresh is a take your pick
    1. a light version of the original 1934 fragrance,
    2. a "fresh" version of the orignal, or
    3. a warm weather version of the original.

There's a great deal gooding for this fresh version of a classic: it's that the freshness also seems natural, it lasts a good amount of time, and true to it's name, I can detect notes of the original classy fragrance.

As for the comparision to something like "Cool Water," I say absolutely not! I get virtually none of the headache making, nasal passage irritating artificial freshness notes that I get from many modern fragrances such as Davidson's "Cool Water," Calvin Klein's "Etermity," and even the current version of Burberry's "Burberry For Men."

I give it more than one Thumbs Up.

tessera's avatar
    tessera

Brit by Burberry

I really love all the layers on this one, but it dries down to almost total vanilla on me and ends up, oddly, smelling alot like Curve Crush. Still, some nice initial layering and definitely a warm, happy scent.

DNA for Men (original) by Bijan

I bought this one 6 months ago in my hometown in Turkey. First I tried the new DNA but I didn't find it very different than the watery fragrances of today, but this one was definitely different. For me it is a typical North American fragrance a bit more to AfroAmerican type but I guess not sweet enough for them. At the beginning wel; I guess because of the bergamot and probably some other spices. A woody, spicey and a little sweet. Sometimes it reminds me a delicious cooky. I have read somehwere that it smells like Curve, but I have no clue, because I don't know Curve. Maybe someone who knows it can tell more, but I;m not surprised by hearing that because nowadays if a fragrance becomes popular later on you see that some other brand brings tha same scent exactly the same or a with a little bit twist on the market again, or some old fragrances being brought to the marjet as if they are something new.

Jules by Christian Dior

This is one of the fragrances which is carved in my mind. I guess it was 1982 and I became very interested in fragrances because I have discovered that girls were more interested in nice smelling guys. I can remember that there were girls inlove with me just because of the scent of my Arrid deodorant. Anyhow, my father had bought Jules at that time; one for him and one for me. One of the things that I can remember is that he used to shave every morning and most of the times he was before me or was already left the house. Most of the times when I was awake I could smell the scent of this fragrance and it always made me happy. Even now time to time when I wake up I can still smell this fragrance, but it is pity that they don't produce it anymore. But what I have just read here is that they still should sell it in France. I'll give it a try. It is not far away from The Netherlands.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I can remember just like Yesterday: My father bought this fragrence one of his flights on the free shop. He did not have that much notion about fragrence. Mostly what he used to do was to buy a one he knows or used to buy a very new one or ask to someone there which fragrance is very popular or very new. So he came back with YSL Kouros. It was just out to the market. When I first smelled it I did not like it at all. It was very daring scent for its time if you compare it with the fragrances of its time. But the more I learned about the fragrances and the more I tried them, my opinion has changed. some of the fragrances I liked, I don't like anymore and the ones I did not like now I like very much. One of them is YSL Kouros and I always have a bottle of it at home I see fragrance as wine: The first wine I dran I found not delicious, but after you learn the wine culture and drink more and taste more, then you know what it means, what is good, what is medium and what is... But at the end it is always our own choice.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

A very daring scent. It smells a lot of thyme or rosemary at the beginning. We used to have thyme oil at our home because it was very good for stomach ache. When I was kid they used to drop some on a cube of sugar and give it to me. I still keep one at home. They use thyme and rosemary oil on the hair. Once I bought special oil mixture from Body Shop which has rosemary oil among the others. What yoy smell on the opening is a strong rosemary smell. First I didn't like it because it was just rosemary to me. But later on afew weeks later I guy in our company smelled so nice to me and and the scent was familiar to me. I was thinking to find it out, but I couldn't ann at the and I asked it to him. As you could guess; it was L'Eau Bleue. The same day I went to the perfume shop and gave it another try. This time I liked it, but still I was not sure of it. A few days later I sprayed some on me. I wanted to see the effect of it on the other people. Most of my collegues and friends liked it. I told them I was testing it and I was not sure if it was to heavy or shouting "Hey! I'm here" Most of the have found it fresh, some've found it a bit minty. Just a few who are interested in cooking smelled some thyme or rosemary, but they've told me that it was not overwhelming. The problem with this scent is that you feel like that you smell strange or bad but the traces that scent leave are definitely nice. It is just like in the case that you hear your voice on a record and most of us hate it because we hear it dfferent. It is same with this fragrance, we feel like that we smell unpleasent, but this is not the fact for the people around us.

Maxwell's avatar
    Maxwell

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

Because it's made with only pure essential oils, it completely lacks the "cologney" quality that many fragrances have due to the synthethics.
    And yet even without the chemicals, it lasts all day on me. Just don't expect a lot of sandalwood - it's pretty subdued.

The eucalyptus note is what tips the scale for some people. Personally, I love it, and it lasts all the way into the drydown on me. But as others have said, on certain people it can smell medicinal.

IMO, this is one of my favourite summer fragrances. It's refreshing, comforting, and manages to be substantial without being cloying, and smells completely different from the aquatic/citrus that most of the planet wears in summer.

Maxwell's avatar
    Maxwell

Zahfran by Madini

Zahfran means "saffron", and this smells just like you've opened a jar of saffron threads, only smoother and heavier. I could see this mixed with something else, but unless you really like saffron, I can't conceive of wearing this on it's own.

grizzlesnort's avatar
    grizzlesnort

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

No hay or leather, etc for me (sigh.) Just expensive Syrup. Gum. Resin. Wax. Unguents. melted ice-cream. Messiah-annoiting oil, perhaps. Lingering and rich and, if you are at all heavy handed, oppressive. It will grow on me no doubt but when even the decants are expensive, I want easier gratification.
    Glad I just got the decant.

Jon_Remy's avatar
    Jon_Remy

Amazing by Bill Blass

I don't know why all the Bill Blass fragrances are being discontinued. They are relatively quite nice fragrances and get many compliments.

Amazing for women is a rather "stringent" tea rose fragrance with a slight "acidic" tone. It is rather nice on the dry down, but upon spraying my initial impression is that of waxy Crayola Crayons. Yes, it smells like Crayons at first. I think they discontinued the line because all the shower gel bottles were cracking. I bought several bottles of EDT, shower gel, and spray deodorant as I knew they were going to be discontinued. I had to transfer the shower gel into some containers I bought at The Container Store, so everything's fine now (no leaking shower gel bottles on my shelf). I wear this as a unisex fragrance as it is somewhere in the category of Declaration by Cartier, or Insense Ultramarine by Givenchy. It's a winner in my opinion. Thanks!

Jon_Remy's avatar
    Jon_Remy

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

I don't smell Drakkar (although 360 Blue smells just like Drakkar). I do smell Acqua di Gio, but I prefer 360 Red to Acqua di Gio. 360 Red seems to last longer. I just bought a 6.7-ounce Perry Ellis 360 Red at theperfumespot.com for $29. What a deal, compared to $78 for the 6.7-ounce bottle of Acqua di Gio. The 360 Red seems to last longer than the AdG too, which makes it even better of a deal. It seems like ALL the Perry Ellis fragrances are well worth the money because they don't disappear on the skin as many of today's fragrances do. This one's a winner in my book! Jon Remy

Alma de Alma by Madini

Alma de Alma is the epitome of how I imagine the alluring fragrances of antiquity. It's the consummate fragrance of seduction: deep amber, dry vanilla, skin musk, and resins. It's sensual, exotic, and evocative of a middle eastern desert. This perfume oil is very beautiful.

15 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Corsica by Voluspa

If you like Mediterranean-inspired fragrances you must try Voluspa Corsica perfume oil. Corsica has notes of frangipani, orange rind, white peppercorn, and musk. It's a bright, sparkling, citrus fragrance that warms to an exotic floral. The price is great: $19.95 at Planet Beauty! Voluspa's Victorian Collection bottles are lovely and look great with my other perfumes. The lasting power of the oil is very good, too, and it moisturizes my skin. Corsica is a mood-lifting, sun-filled scent.

Cult of Helios by Voluspa

Fans of Sage Pearl, Perfect Veil, and Etro Heliotrope may adore this beautiful fragrance. Cult of Helios has notes of heliotrope and buttery vanilla musk. Its a warm, sweet, skin scent with sexy hints of night-blooming heliotrope. In Greek mythology, Helios is the sun god, and a real Cult of Helios existed on Rhodes. My knowledge of Ancient Hellenist cultures is quite limited, so I have no idea what inspired the name for this feminine, soft perfume oil. The price is great: $19.95 at Planet Beauty! Voluspa's Victorian Collection bottles are lovely and look great with my other perfumes. The lasting power of the oil is excellent, too, and it moisturizes my skin. I keep thinking I smell something sweet, soft, and mysterious, and then I'm thrilled to realized it's me!

Pink Fatale by Voluspa

I have a feeling that Voluspa's Victorian Collection perfume oils are going to be a huge hit, and I predict that Pink Fatale will be the superstar of the line. Pink Fatale's notes are pink grapefruit, mandarin, and arum lilies, on a base of sensual cashmere musk. It's hard to imagine anyone being able to resist Pink Fatale. This is an enchanting, magnetic scent, if ever there was one. It's very feminine, and while the notes may suggest a scent for young girls, Pink Fatale is womanly and provocative. The cashmere melts into the citrus and flower notes, making this a very sexy floral; perfect for a date on a warm summer night, or a Honeymoon evening. If you can't try all the fragrances in the Victorian Collection, do try Pink Fatale. It shouldn't be missed. It really smells divine!

Tuberosa by Voluspa

Fans of Kai will adore this beautiful fragrance. Tuberosa Agave has notes of tuberose, orris, coconut milk, musk, and vetiver. Its heady topical fragrance is romantic and intriguing and the price, ($19.95 at Planet Beauty!), can't be beat. The Victorian Collection bottles are lovely and look great with my other perfumes. The lasting power of the oil is great, too, and it moisturizes my skin. I keep thinking I smell something seductive and hypnotic, and then I'm thrilled to realized it's me!

Vanity by Voluspa

Vanity is a lovely, refined, seductive perfume oil. It has notes of mimosa, amber resin, sugar cane, and raspberry. I rarely purchase a fragrance on-the-spot. I like to try it on my skin, let it soak in, and see what it does to my mood. That didn't happen with Vanity. After one sniff from the bottle I knew I had to have it, and I was paying for the pretty little bottle as the liquid from the Tester developed with my chemistry. Vanity is a jewel in my collection; it's elegant, feminine, delicate, and it smells expensive, (even though it's not!). It reminds me a little of Chanel Chance, but it's very reasonable price makes it a fragrance I'm comfortable with applying to my heart's content, knowing I can replace it at any time.

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Grafton by Truefitt & Hill

Notes:
    Top: Lavender, Lemon, Basil
    Heart: Woods, Cedar, Incense, Rose
    Base: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka, Amber, Musk

"The name Grafton was given to Truefitts’ newly blended fragrance in 1983 at the suggestion of one of HMS Grafton’s officers, who while being attended to by Truefitts barber, particularly liked this unmistakably masculine fougere aroma and suggested that the new fragrance is named after the gracious line of HM battleships."

I have to agree with my friend hirch here. This is a top tier green fougere and possibly one of the finest "barbershop" scents around. Lavender is the main star here, but unlike various raw medicinal interpretations of that note, the lavender in Grafton is presented in a very nose-pleasing manner. Its stripped of its at-times harsh natural edge, and brings about a certain uplifting "brightness" to the composition inconcert with a backdrop of refreshing. The lavender powers through the fragrance, and is accented by a delicately weaved incense note which injects just the right amount of smokiness to keep the scent well balanced. The rose and lemons, while not that obvious to the nose, do their part in providing a scent barrier which prevents the incense-lavender combo from going into overdrive like as in Encens et Lavande..

Talking of which, I was also testing Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande at the same time, and for comparison purposes, found that the incense note far dominates in the latter half of that scent. The real showdown in the "Battle of the Barbershop Cologne King" though is between Grafton and the classic Caron pour un homme. The 100 year old classic, while a fine scent in its own right, outputs a harsher lavender note and is more powdery. I find the effulgent aroma of Grafton more engaging, and the core ingredients better renditioned. Grafton isn't just a fine barbershop scent - it posses enough depth in its composition to be suitable for formal occasions as well. Like the Grafton Type-14 Blackwood, its a deceptively simple, yet highly effective fragrance. Unlike the Blackwood though, I dont expect Grafton cologne to be decommissioned from my wardrobe anytime soon ..