Fragrance Reviews from April 2007

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Flint, and orange scented gunsmoke. It's arid and works better when there is some humidity in the air, regardless of season, otherwise it's too inorganic and unhuman. I don't smoke, but when you wear this you smell like a smoker who smells of orange peel. It's really shines nice when it mixes with a little sweat.

lex's avatar

Sandflowers by Montale

a beach in the desert. the cooked desert sand meets the water at the coast.

lex's avatar

Soleil de Capri by Montale

reminds me of light blue by d&g for women, but a man can wear this 1. natural fruity. very nice for the summer

dr.Trost's avatar

Rose Poivrée by The Different Company

A mix of predominating pepper, roses and vetiver. Amazing and wonderful, like a turkish bazar.

rtamara41's avatar

Patchouli by Jalaine

I have read that this fragrance has a "cult" following. I think I just joined.
    This has got to be a Holy Grail fragrance for any Patchouli lover. The irony is that I did not think I liked Patchouli until very recently. All that has changed forever.
    This patchouli has a sweetness to it which gives it a velvety quality , and is so earthy that it gives me a feeling of delightful groundedness.
    Highly recommended for activities involving worship, whether it be lovemaking or meditating, or prayer.
    The bottle is gorgeous with a crystal top that has an Aurora Borealis effect.
    It is also sold in a refill size which is a simple flacon in a velvet pouch.
    How long will 6mls of pure perfume oil last? The more I sniff my sample, the less that question seems to have any relevance. This is an utterly divine fragrance experience.

Zeevi's avatar

Bijan Wicked for Men by Bijan

Wow, this smells just like Chrome. I get the impression that it gives off a bit more sillage however.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

this smells too much like sean john unforgiveable for me. in fact I prefer it over SMW. CREED makes nice frags but they are too over priced and sometimes just not worth the money.

Bijan Wicked for Men by Bijan

chrome plus ck one
    it is better than both...not as ordinary as ck one and not as all over the place as chrome.
    the best of both extremely similar worlds.

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

After spending a lot more time with this, I have to change my review. Still a thumbs up...
    This is closest to Escada Magnetism. Both have a sweetness that is kinda boozey. The fragrance does not change much over time, but the depth is nice. I get the comparo to Boss bottled, but I think this fragrance is very different and worthy of a purchase even if you already have Boss bottled. It certainly does not have the dryness of Boss bottled, and there is something very sensous about this that you don;t get form bottled. On the other hand, if you already have Escada magnetism, I wouldn't suggest purchasing this...they are just too similar.

17th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 15th April, 2008)

Virgin Island Water by Creed

went to Neiman Marcus to purchase Silver Mountain Water and heard about Virgin Island Water and I instantly got a wiff of a crowded beach or swimming pool. it smells like suntan lotion...but in a good way. Very yummy, not for a straight guy. But works for a black guy like me that will never wear suntan lotion, but love the smell.
    Instant classic? never.
    Awesome summer scent? a resoundiing yes

Polo by Ralph Lauren

WARNING: Apply with caution.
    A little goes a LONG way......

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Equal parts class & elegance, squeezed into a convenient atomiser dispensor.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

lightweight, which is not bad if you're after that. I think the younger consumer will find it attractive but certainly not a fragrance for those searching for perfume nervana.

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient by Yves Saint Laurent

Perhaps I need to have my ofactory receptors cleaned out. Foetidus has uncovered some very subtle notes here (much kudos here). I myself can only really find a subtle reorganisation on note-intensity coupled with a peppery injection. I think I have a long way to go!

G Man's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

My girl does not like this one as well. Good thing because it gives me a headache.

Too dark..to mossy...just as bad as Polo original.

hard to describe, but the smell makes me sick.

I could see it on some people who wear leather ect... but in the 80's..not today. smells kinda "salty" and stale. gross.

bbobkc's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Ooh I like this scent. Spicy, mostly cinnamon and some citrus. Very, very nice except the sillage and longevity are practically nonexistant. Why oh why?

XS Extreme Girl by Paco Rabanne

Sadly this is no longer available in the UK, so I have to source it from overseas, but boy is it worth it. It has a lovely warm sexy spicy opening, revealing honey notes on drydown. A friend said it smells rich both in spicy aroma, and also in perception. The best thing about this fragrance is that nobody else uses it as it is not on the high street, and whenever people comment about how delicious this frag is, I just smile and tell them it is now difficult to find and I don't know where they can find any now. Aren't I wicked?? Very long lasting, approx 6 hours on my skin.

Passion Dance by Avon

For such an inexpensive fragrance, this smells incredibly sophistocated and exclusive. Lots of red berries and musk. Very sensual, and longevity is brilliant. When I tell people I am wearing Avon, they always feel sure I have made a mistake with what I used that day. My husband LOVES it, and always wants to snuggle when I wear this, lets hope his secretary doesn't decide to use this!!

Tomorrow by Avon

Very pleasant warm fragrance. Lots of amber and berries, smells creamy and sweet and also a hint of vanilla. The vanilla note is the only let down, otherwise it is very acceptable. Not one for a special event, but ideal for daytime and after the shower home alone.

germanomio's avatar

France France

Déclaration by Cartier

I completely changed my minds on this one
    at first I liked it a lot, I found it was a new style for men
    but the more I smell it the more I find it cloying, artificial and unbalanced
    wearing it always give headhache and nausea

17th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 13th July, 2009)

germanomio's avatar

France France

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

gives me headhache!
    it's not a man perfume at all (or for a very effeminate one)

foral perfumes for man why not; but not so sweet and powdery
    disgusting

turdferguson's avatar

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

I do like it but I'm thrown off a little bit.

At first, it reminds me of Jovan Ginseng NRG which for me, is not a good thing. I notice it every time I put it on and that's unfortunate.

But with the drydown it settles down to smell a bit more green and yes, 'creamy.' Unfortunately, the scent is so subtle that my lasting impression is always Jovan Ginseng NRG, even after the drydown. If you like Jovan Ginseng, I think you would like this.

This scent will get me through spring and summer, but I don't know that I'll buy it again. I was searching for a fresh-cut grass scent and I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

grizzlesnort's avatar

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I really like this one; it reminds me of those French ladies who went off to the colonies with the 'civilizing mission' and stayed forever. Bought a decant but don't know if I'll ever wear it--it feels a little subversive, like I'm cross-dressing if I do anything more than put it on the back of my hand for my own enjoyment and I'm normally not one to worry about convention. For women over forty, definite thumbs up. For men, test and decide.

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

My fingers move aside the floral silk and cotton skarves that drape the corner of the mirror. My hand caresses then passes over the sepia photo tucked under the edge, moving down to the tortoiseshell bowl of dried roses and carnation pinks, riffling the petals as my fingers pass. My fingers turn to the bakelite container. I lift the lid and powder drifts up and hangs in the still air. I lean forward, the layers of my dress rustle against the old leather of my stool. What next? Ah. My hand pulls the ornate brass handle of the drawer and sifts through slips and stockings. There- I fish out the elusive cylinder and scroll it open to apply the deep dusky pink to my lips.

Muguet du Bonheur by Caron

This spring morning is damp and chill and wandering in the neglected old borders of the garden I am unexpectedly caught by a high note that speaks of sweetness. I search and find the tiny lily of the valley flowers, their miniature appearance betrayed by their unmistakable uncomfortable piercing scent. I sit back, my knees now damp, and the surrounding garden mutes the fragrance into greenery with a creamy undercurrent of jasmine. As I wander away the scent lingers jangling with its darkened tone at the edge of my being.

Diorella by Christian Dior

I sit on the veranda dappled in the early morning shadows and clear light. The dew lifts the scent of greenery to lap at my senses, interleaved with the fresh scintillating lemon and warm peach that hang buoyant from the over-reaching trees.
    I stretch and settle. The light mutes and meanders amongst the stray sprigs of white jasmine and creamy honeysuckle and a lone Cecile Brunner spray of rosebuds. The gentle woody warmth of growing things soaks through me as I contemplate my morning.

Or des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I am ensconced in the small private room and the oriental carpet is scratchy beneath my feet. I sway into the warmth of the enveloping incense that snakes its way through scattered vanilla pods and geranium leaves on the side table. Velvet curtains make the room mysteriously close and almost claustrophobic and I can sense the crouching creatures in the shadowy corners that give a sharp edge to my unease. Memories of my mother are irresistible and overwhelming. I cross the room to sink into the gilt threaded amber silk of the corner armchair. Slowly, gradually, the room lightens and I am left with a gentle golden glow and memory of spices.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

I walk through the silver birch trees of dappled white, the leaf strew dry and dusty underfoot. Ancient moss covered boulders squat turgid with slow thoughts whilst forest incense is warmth surrounding and rises peppery and resinous. I am held within its embrace.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Ah, the 80's, when men were men!
    --Unless they were ferns . . .

As noted, this is rich, freshly cut garden grass-- and without any medicinal-herbal notes--which I happen to dislike. Great for the outdoors.

It's an uplifting, almost heroic scent.
    Perfect for either tough self-made millionaires, or starving artists who fight alone against the world!

Anybody got a copy of The Fountainhead?

17th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 03rd January, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Thé Vert A La Menthe / Green Tea with Mint by L'Occitane

I owned this for 15 minutes and then went back to the store where I traded it for L'Occitane Vetiver. A happy ending to the story. This is a fair scent but tries too hard to be bubbly.
    Check it out.

17th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 25th January, 2012)