Fragrance Reviews from April 2007

Tovah's avatar

Sahara by Madini

Sahara is a beautiful, sensual ambery fragrance with a warm, slightly powdery feel. There's a hint of spice on my skin, too, and a gorgeous resiny note that just melts me. Sahara reminds me a lot of both Dune and Addict. It's almost as though each of those contains Sahara in their ingredients. I prefer this to Dune, or Addict, or even Shalimar. This is a unisex scent in the way that Musc Ravageur is unisex, and it smells just as complex and irresistible.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

Sharp, clean and crisp ~ like a freshly laundered and pressed white cotton shirt. Appropriate for most any occasion. Comes across as manly. 'Put together' without being overly primped. Inviting and friendly, I do find it quite memorable.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Jones New York by Jones New York

The only notes I get are lily of the valley (muguet) mixed with jasmine on a powdery base ~ which is presumably sandalwood. The green here is so dominant, the sweeter fruit notes never get noticed. A poor combination IMO.

Metalys / Metallica by Guerlain

Well yes, it has a metallic edge but I prefer the heavy metal of Carons. Other than that it is far too much of a white floral for my taste and I've never been a fan of carnation either.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I like the notes I can pick out with the nose glued to my wrist: zesty citrus, herbs, spices, woods... Too much of a generic men's scent for my taste though, especially in the throw, which is sort of flat, bland, cool and almost aquatic in the way I really don't like about a lot of scents in the men's department. It feels well done and classic and if you'd like to wear something that is absolutely inoffensive and attracts no attention this is probably a good choice.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Mmm, this is definitely the musky sweet, buttery soft face of sandalwood, not woody dry at all. The top and middle notes add some spicy zest but mostly it's a smooth, sweet scent. I even wish they would have gone a little lighter on the vanilla since it's on the verge of too sweet for my taste, but absolutely not cloying, more like so rounded it almost lacks interest. Almost. Then I get a whiff of spicy rose or coriander or zesty tangerine and my interest is renewed.

Vasily's avatar

Orris by Tauer

This is a wonderfully done fragrance ... however, florals and I don't get along very well. It's just not for me. I gave my sample to a young friend and find myself appreciating it more and more when he wears it ... but I enjoy it more on others than on myself.

Vasily's avatar

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

My main problem with Reverie is the ultra-sweet top note .... very fruity/floral ... the lavender gets lost in there. The frag becomes much more interesting in the midnotes and basenotes, where the green/herbal notes come into play more with lavender peeping out every once in a while. But I can't get beyond the candylike notes. If you like sweet, you may very well like this one, but it's just not my cup of tea. Longevity is decent, sillage not so great.

Subhalen's avatar

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

I really like this scent. A good one for the office or a night on the town IMHO. Not overbearing, but it does last a long time.

Subhalen's avatar

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

I really like this one. My wife really..really likes this one on me. The lasting power of this juice is great and I received many compliments on it..

Indiscreet's avatar

Venus Sands by Ava Luxe

If this was a song, it would be Cococabana. It starts with a deliciously tropical blast of coconut and tropical flowers. I definitely smell gardenia. As this dries down, I get an impression of vanilla. It's soft and not overly sweet, with a touch of something musky at the base. It's like a holiday on my skin.

Indiscreet's avatar

Opoponax Intense by Ava Luxe

Opoponax Intense is primarily a wood scent, yet I get a strong leather vibe from this, probably because of the benzoin. It's smooth, warm, and redolent in balsamic sweetness. There are ambery and incense undertones. This is rich and opulent, and would good layered as well as on its own.

margi's avatar

England England

Mango Adorably by Mango

This is very pleasant especially for the price, however it is not a head turner. It smells like a cross between Fendi and Euphoria despite the notes being different!! Slightly spicy, and thankfully I cannot detect the vanilla note that is allegedley in it. OK for everyday wear.

winterlove's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Oh, my, god! I tested this in the department store yesterday and I am positively LUSTING after a bottle. This one yields pure sex appeal, absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE the Vanilla in this scent, it is sweet but not cloying, and spicy but not overpowering.

Pure class, even the way the spray diffuses the fragrance is just divine.

I must, must, MUST own a bottle of this!

winterlove's avatar

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

On me, this is very creamy. Actually, it reminds me of what a really REALLY good quality soap or moisturiser should smell like.

I personally prefer something that is a little more spicy. I only tried this once, yesterday in fact. I might give it another try and see...

thebeck's avatar

Gathering Apples by CB I Hate Perfume

Just received 4 samples from CB. Gathering Apples turned out to be my favorite of the 4. I put Burning Leaves on one arm and Gathering Apples on the other.

My Wife and I proceeded to the local nursery to buy some trees. The female salesperon we were talking to smelled so good I was getting ready to ask her what she was wearing and I realized it was me.

This is the perfect fresh summer scent without smelling so typically citrus. I don't think most people will realize your wearing cologne, just only you smell good. Ya gotta love that aspect.

It doesn't smell cheap like Caltha says or I wouldn't like it for sure. It's extremely classy. I'm ordering a full bottle to enjoy this summer. Burning Leaves was great too. Have to keep that one in mind for next winter. Spend a day with Gathering Apples and I'm sure it will win your appreciation.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

The whole "Opium" concept for men and women was a masterstroke from YSL.

This is a classic with its spicy, luscious notes and floral tones. Like other YSL fragrances, it's more an experience than a "smell".

I think it's beautiful, and such a seductive opulent fragrance for women. Definitely not for the demure or faint of heart, however! It's bold, heady and luxuriant, but above all it's grandeur.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

My mum wears this one, and I still remember the first time we both smelt it: we were in a department store when one of the "squirter-girls", as I used to call them, sprayed some on a card.

We both thought it was more like an experience than a fragrance. A breath of old-world summer.

I still think it's a beatiful fragrance, very rosy and floral. It brings back a lot of happy childhood memories.

I got her a bottle of this for her birthday, and she loves wearing it.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Wasn't sure about this one at first, but I've really taken to it. It starts off quite sharp with the mandarine, but settles into a soft fruity zesty woods and spice.

Very nice and very wearable.

27th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2008)

shah's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

One of the greatest scents available. Can be used all day both for formal and casual wear. Along with Bois Du Portugal, Gucci Pour Homme and Jaipur Homme, this is my all time favourite scent. Cant recomend it enough.

vidoq's avatar

Romania Romania

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

this is my favourite fragrance! and it lasts 12 hours on my skin! not just a minute as germanomio said... maybe he got a fake, not the original. this perfume is amazing. i luv it and girls do that too.

kumquat's avatar

Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali

I was pleasantly surprised by the complexity of this scent. The bottle is suspiciuosly clever, but actually well done. The floral top notes are very good. I like jasmine anyway and the citrus is fresh and zingy. It's the cedar and myrrh that give it its personality. All in all a real keeper. I found mine at a bargain $35 for 3.4 oz. not expecting much. I really think it wil get a lot of wear.

27th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 13th January, 2011)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Borneo starts off like a carnival blast with warm caramel milky chocolate - a foody and fun delight. But, the second act turns to an entirely different mood with a cool blast of earthy mint patchouli. The fun and foody scent becomes a dark chocolate that is earthy, dark and mysterious. The big transformation from opening to drydown in this scent is from two very likeable extremes connected by the chocolate. Lots of character and strength in this fragrance. I like it very much. But its not worth booking a flight to Paris to acquire a bottle.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Sandalwood by D.R. Harris & co.

This is an absolutely wonderful sandalwood cologne that is warm, rich, subtle and gentlemanly. It is very natural smelling and would be welcome in personal as well as business contexts. It is at once mildy astringent in almost a healing sense, yet mellow and rich on the drydown. The sandalwood is as good as it gets. It reminds me somewhat of the much more expense Sandalumm by Profumum, which is a bit more bitter, and forward. This is an old-fashioned cologne that bespeaks heritage, tradition, and the often sought-after barbershop smell. It is a tad oily. Men should be flocking to any place they can get this. Unfortunately, the only places I can think of are the London shoppe on St. James's near Jermyn St. and a couple of the specialty pharmacies in NYC that advertise carrying hard to find fragrances. In any event if one is lucky enough to find it, one should try it, then buy it. This is truly a hiddent gem.

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri

This reminds me a lot of L'homme Sage by Divine, but a bit spicier. It is definitely not exclusively a ladies fragrance. I wore it for about four days to great effect, but did not purchase it because I felt the incense element was not its strongest suit. This is a charming spice fragrance that is warm and very friendly. Wearers looking for a little incense layered with spice and a little fig or other dark fruit will be very happy with this.

Eau de Cèdre / Cèdre Blanc by Heeley

A fresh, clean woody scent of cedar, that to me is reminiscent of the split logs in a lumberyard. This would make an excellent substitute in the spring and summer to a citrus accord. Moderate longevity, this is natural and evocative of a wood that is not warm or mellow like sandalwood, but clean and crisp. This is not at all sweet. Works in all types of situations, and is marvelously different from what others are likely to wear. Very apppropriate for men of all ages.

lannansidhe's avatar

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I don't like rose perfumes, most make me sneeze, but this one is good on me.
    I wouldn't buy it again, but I will use up and decant the bottle I have. My mother (in her 60's) loves red roses and perfumes that smell as such and she would love this!
    It's not smoky and mysterious for me, but on those days I need something clear and bright it is nice. It is a much more complex rose perfume than most, I will give it that. I sometimes layer it with Nu lotion for depth, that helps.

smelly..'s avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

this was simply astonishing when i first had the opportunity to try it. the essence of tea spills through in a most delightful manner and suddenly you are swept away to join the clouds as fresh berry breezes take you to dreamland. this was honey for the soul. chicken soup left far behind. i adored wearing this and would recommend it to anybody. it isn't cloying at allan the scents are all individually marked initialy, blending to a mellow crescendo which lasts hours. magical stuff.

CuyahogaJoe's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior Homme is (in my opinion) destine to become a classic. It isn't nearly as sweet as most gourmands nor is it as feminine as most floral's. A distinct leather note blends perfectly with the iris and lavender. Dior Homme can very easily be classified as a "unisex" fragrance as it is one of my daughter's favorites. The drydown is amazing and one of a few colognes I over apply purposefully.

Many fragrances have specific applications...again, in my opinion, and I'd categorize Dior Homme as a "sensual/romantic" fragrance. I wouldn't wear it to a ball game with my buddies or to a closing of a sales agreement, but it lends itself much better to a "familiar lover" situation. Dior Homme is hardly "macho manly" as the likes of Bois du Portugal or Havana, but it is more of a "sensitive manly" which is suitable for intimately situations. I get a few wisps of the lipstick note, but I can't tell if it is from Dior Homme or from this kiss my girlfriend just placed on my cheek...either way, I don't mind. The perfect application would be a night at the symphony, the opera, a Broadway play or a fine restaurant dressed to the nines with a beautiful familiar lover.

Stockholm's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,
    My reason to open this review in such high-flown manner, is that NO scent ever has ever caused me to react as much as the Anarchist! This scent puts all your senses on alert in a way that is almost incomprehensible. I recently bought a large bottle at Ebay after reading the reviews, and I do agree with many of the scentiments (thank you kindly Marian Bendeth for giving me an addition to my crude vocabulary in English), but was NOT prepared for this!
    Yes the notes are all there, the menthol, the orange blossom and some peculiar notion of metal and on their own they sound quite harmless (see the pyramid) - but not this brew!
    The first notions are close to gasoline or some kind of slightly hazardous chemical compound, and next it is the menthol that hits you.
    I was so hit by the top notes that I grinned. Somewhere deeper in the register are some flickering orange blossoms, but hid behind the menthol and the metal presence that by now starts to make its omnipresence. After this stage it does not change a lot in character, and stays on till it fades off some 2-3 hours later.
    ! I don’t know how it is possible, but this do smell like blood (probably the metallic agent) and creates notions close to what can be associated with;: e.g. the dying dandy bleeding to death scented in Hermes Orange Verte and taking his last breathe and a gash of menthol sips out of his recently cleaned teeth… The very chemical top note is also reminiscent to an un-named illicit drug that also creates much the same alertness when whiffing it.
    Honestly, if someone dares to test this fragrance after my review, or if you are intrigued and want to try it out, you are welcome to trade in my bottle.
    The presentation including the box, is gorgeous, but the only connection the scent has with the name Anarchist, is that in my mind it creates chaos! Another and very suitable name for it, would be Antichrist, since it smells like the antechamber of hell!
    Three thumbs down for the scent and one thumb up for the originality and the fact that some weirdo actually managed to get this scent in production!