Fragrance Reviews from April 2007

Ken_Russell's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

Oranges, a taste ( or more accurately, a smell) of orange peel and some mandarin. I think this fragrance is all about Sicilian oranges- their olfactory intesity stronger than the one of regular oranges, the intensely red pulp and juice, their zesty, pungent and marginally powdery flavour. However, as it happens with many scents with edible notes, i would much more appreciate the Sicilian orange note in food and drinks rather than in a fragrance. This note is still very natural and quite raw, being at the same time the strenght and weakness of this scent: quite raw, even primitive, tough natural orange and mandarin notes are found even in aromatherapy oils or scented candles without being more artificial or less intense than in this costly perfume, there, the unilateral, simple character of this note is not an impediment as it is merely designed to relax and smell decent. However, this very same orange note is also a strenght: it leaves no dioubt about the use of good quality ingredients and natural essences. The fans of truly elaborate, conservative and smooth citrus will be much better served by the original Colonia from 1916. The fans of orange will find a probably equally natural orange note in Eau d'Orange Verte and even the mass-market Jaguar for man, the latter adding to the pungent orange note even an aromatic background of sweet and
    spiced woods and moss.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

To be used not only with moderation but also after seriously considering if this composition is truly what the wearer is looking for. Therefore i understand why so many people either love or hate this one- both attitudes are quite logical to me. After i tried it first, it smelled literally expensive, that kind of artisanal niche scent which seems to cry out loud : " i am not only costlier but also better than mainstream designer scents". Indeed, it does stand out from the mainstream, yet expresses also a somewhat strained situation how to combine Acqua di Parma's elitist appeal with ways to attract young consumers, who search daily digitally, interactively and virtually the newest, hyper-experimental, post-structural and post-postmodern synthetic lab scent?
    Because this one smells clearly 2006 and has a faint memory of all mainstream ( and even mass market) fashion, fragrance trends of that year. What struck me first about this scent was, easy to guess, the sweetness and fruityness, however not as pronounced as in Mandorlo di Sicilia, but not that good to be seen by me as one of the notable ( and wearable ) exceptions that make fruity and sweet scents transcend beyond the quite profit-oriented limitations of this type of fragrance and smell that unique, distinguished, long-lasting or simply challenging almost up to the point of puzzling that none of their youthfulness, fruityness, commonplace appeal or avant-garde are an impediment. However this is not Fico di Amalfi's case, and either i can't value the certain warm, dry sweetness of fig or i have not just found the scent to make me reconsider the potential and achievements of this note. Still, this scent is legitimate and quite easygoing and inoffensive, without being, at least, as bad as Mandorlo ( a point where i totally agree with other reviewers dislike).

pandabear25's avatar

Magnetism by Escada

I've had this on my wishlist and finally got it very inexpensively from TJ Max... gotta love it! Anyway, I really adore the opening notes. The basil and greens are very sharp, but I suprisingly really enjoy it. The drydown is very nice and lightly floral on me mixed with yummy gourmand notes. The finish is more powdery than my ideal, but it's close enough to perfect!

pandabear25's avatar

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

This is definitely a summer fragrance for me. It's light and refreshing.... perfect for those warmer days! I'm not a floral fan at all, but the warmer basenotes are what make this perfume for me. I wish it lasted longer on me though, but overall very nice!

phantagarow's avatar

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

As others put it, it has a good dose of rose and heliotrope with great longevity. (I have yet to see a short lived Montale for that matter). Very much in the same line with KM Loukhoum, SL Rahat Loukhoum, and LV Musk. On a side remark, the name of the fragrance is really very well chosen here: It is sweet, it is oriental, and it evokes sweet dreams.

Tovah's avatar

Kinmokusei by Ayala Moriel

Kinmokusei, like all of Moriel's fragrances that I have tried, is outstanding, and unique. I own Kinmokusei, and I enjoy it very much. Moriel describes Kinmokusei as an "osmanthus soliflore", but this comes across on me with a complexity that is extremely rare for a soliflore. Konmokusei is a citrusy green tea fragrance which has a strange, alluring tobacco-like drydown. It begins in a zesty and summery way, but the drydown has a darkness that adds melancholy and quiescence. The deep base notes cause this fragrance to split from bright and light into a heavy, resiny scent. When I am in a contemplative mood, this fragrance works perfectly. It's fascinating.

27 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Tovah's avatar

Sahara by Madini

Sahara is a beautiful, sensual ambery fragrance with a warm, slightly powdery feel. There's a hint of spice on my skin, too, and a gorgeous resiny note that just melts me. Sahara reminds me a lot of both Dune and Addict. It's almost as though each of those contains Sahara in their ingredients. I prefer this to Dune, or Addict, or even Shalimar. This is a unisex scent in the way that Musc Ravageur is unisex, and it smells just as complex and irresistible.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

Sharp, clean and crisp ~ like a freshly laundered and pressed white cotton shirt. Appropriate for most any occasion. Comes across as manly. 'Put together' without being overly primped. Inviting and friendly, I do find it quite memorable.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Jones New York by Jones New York

The only notes I get are lily of the valley (muguet) mixed with jasmine on a powdery base ~ which is presumably sandalwood. The green here is so dominant, the sweeter fruit notes never get noticed. A poor combination IMO.

Metalys / Metallica by Guerlain

Well yes, it has a metallic edge but I prefer the heavy metal of Carons. Other than that it is far too much of a white floral for my taste and I've never been a fan of carnation either.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I like the notes I can pick out with the nose glued to my wrist: zesty citrus, herbs, spices, woods... Too much of a generic men's scent for my taste though, especially in the throw, which is sort of flat, bland, cool and almost aquatic in the way I really don't like about a lot of scents in the men's department. It feels well done and classic and if you'd like to wear something that is absolutely inoffensive and attracts no attention this is probably a good choice.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Mmm, this is definitely the musky sweet, buttery soft face of sandalwood, not woody dry at all. The top and middle notes add some spicy zest but mostly it's a smooth, sweet scent. I even wish they would have gone a little lighter on the vanilla since it's on the verge of too sweet for my taste, but absolutely not cloying, more like so rounded it almost lacks interest. Almost. Then I get a whiff of spicy rose or coriander or zesty tangerine and my interest is renewed.

Vasily's avatar

Orris by Tauer

This is a wonderfully done fragrance ... however, florals and I don't get along very well. It's just not for me. I gave my sample to a young friend and find myself appreciating it more and more when he wears it ... but I enjoy it more on others than on myself.

Vasily's avatar

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

My main problem with Reverie is the ultra-sweet top note .... very fruity/floral ... the lavender gets lost in there. The frag becomes much more interesting in the midnotes and basenotes, where the green/herbal notes come into play more with lavender peeping out every once in a while. But I can't get beyond the candylike notes. If you like sweet, you may very well like this one, but it's just not my cup of tea. Longevity is decent, sillage not so great.

Subhalen's avatar

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

I really like this scent. A good one for the office or a night on the town IMHO. Not overbearing, but it does last a long time.

Subhalen's avatar

Zegna Intenso by Ermenegildo Zegna

I really like this one. My wife really..really likes this one on me. The lasting power of this juice is great and I received many compliments on it..

Indiscreet's avatar

Venus Sands by Ava Luxe

If this was a song, it would be Cococabana. It starts with a deliciously tropical blast of coconut and tropical flowers. I definitely smell gardenia. As this dries down, I get an impression of vanilla. It's soft and not overly sweet, with a touch of something musky at the base. It's like a holiday on my skin.

Indiscreet's avatar

Opoponax Intense by Ava Luxe

Opoponax Intense is primarily a wood scent, yet I get a strong leather vibe from this, probably because of the benzoin. It's smooth, warm, and redolent in balsamic sweetness. There are ambery and incense undertones. This is rich and opulent, and would good layered as well as on its own.

margi's avatar

England England

Mango Adorably by Mango

This is very pleasant especially for the price, however it is not a head turner. It smells like a cross between Fendi and Euphoria despite the notes being different!! Slightly spicy, and thankfully I cannot detect the vanilla note that is allegedley in it. OK for everyday wear.

winterlove's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Oh, my, god! I tested this in the department store yesterday and I am positively LUSTING after a bottle. This one yields pure sex appeal, absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE the Vanilla in this scent, it is sweet but not cloying, and spicy but not overpowering.

Pure class, even the way the spray diffuses the fragrance is just divine.

I must, must, MUST own a bottle of this!

winterlove's avatar

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

On me, this is very creamy. Actually, it reminds me of what a really REALLY good quality soap or moisturiser should smell like.

I personally prefer something that is a little more spicy. I only tried this once, yesterday in fact. I might give it another try and see...

thebeck's avatar

Gathering Apples by CB I Hate Perfume

Just received 4 samples from CB. Gathering Apples turned out to be my favorite of the 4. I put Burning Leaves on one arm and Gathering Apples on the other.

My Wife and I proceeded to the local nursery to buy some trees. The female salesperon we were talking to smelled so good I was getting ready to ask her what she was wearing and I realized it was me.

This is the perfect fresh summer scent without smelling so typically citrus. I don't think most people will realize your wearing cologne, just only you smell good. Ya gotta love that aspect.

It doesn't smell cheap like Caltha says or I wouldn't like it for sure. It's extremely classy. I'm ordering a full bottle to enjoy this summer. Burning Leaves was great too. Have to keep that one in mind for next winter. Spend a day with Gathering Apples and I'm sure it will win your appreciation.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

The whole "Opium" concept for men and women was a masterstroke from YSL.

This is a classic with its spicy, luscious notes and floral tones. Like other YSL fragrances, it's more an experience than a "smell".

I think it's beautiful, and such a seductive opulent fragrance for women. Definitely not for the demure or faint of heart, however! It's bold, heady and luxuriant, but above all it's grandeur.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

My mum wears this one, and I still remember the first time we both smelt it: we were in a department store when one of the "squirter-girls", as I used to call them, sprayed some on a card.

We both thought it was more like an experience than a fragrance. A breath of old-world summer.

I still think it's a beatiful fragrance, very rosy and floral. It brings back a lot of happy childhood memories.

I got her a bottle of this for her birthday, and she loves wearing it.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Wasn't sure about this one at first, but I've really taken to it. It starts off quite sharp with the mandarine, but settles into a soft fruity zesty woods and spice.

Very nice and very wearable.

27 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2008)

shah's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

One of the greatest scents available. Can be used all day both for formal and casual wear. Along with Bois Du Portugal, Gucci Pour Homme and Jaipur Homme, this is my all time favourite scent. Cant recomend it enough.

vidoq's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

this is my favourite fragrance! and it lasts 12 hours on my skin! not just a minute as germanomio said... maybe he got a fake, not the original. this perfume is amazing. i luv it and girls do that too.

kumquat's avatar

Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali

I was pleasantly surprised by the complexity of this scent. The bottle is suspiciuosly clever, but actually well done. The floral top notes are very good. I like jasmine anyway and the citrus is fresh and zingy. It's the cedar and myrrh that give it its personality. All in all a real keeper. I found mine at a bargain $35 for 3.4 oz. not expecting much. I really think it wil get a lot of wear.

27 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 13 January, 2011)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Borneo starts off like a carnival blast with warm caramel milky chocolate - a foody and fun delight. But, the second act turns to an entirely different mood with a cool blast of earthy mint patchouli. The fun and foody scent becomes a dark chocolate that is earthy, dark and mysterious. The big transformation from opening to drydown in this scent is from two very likeable extremes connected by the chocolate. Lots of character and strength in this fragrance. I like it very much. But its not worth booking a flight to Paris to acquire a bottle.

28 April, 2007

Joe_Frances's avatar

Sandalwood by D.R. Harris & co.

This is an absolutely wonderful sandalwood cologne that is warm, rich, subtle and gentlemanly. It is very natural smelling and would be welcome in personal as well as business contexts. It is at once mildy astringent in almost a healing sense, yet mellow and rich on the drydown. The sandalwood is as good as it gets. It reminds me somewhat of the much more expense Sandalumm by Profumum, which is a bit more bitter, and forward. This is an old-fashioned cologne that bespeaks heritage, tradition, and the often sought-after barbershop smell. It is a tad oily. Men should be flocking to any place they can get this. Unfortunately, the only places I can think of are the London shoppe on St. James's near Jermyn St. and a couple of the specialty pharmacies in NYC that advertise carrying hard to find fragrances. In any event if one is lucky enough to find it, one should try it, then buy it. This is truly a hiddent gem.

28 April, 2007