Fragrance Reviews from April 2007

fivepastthree's avatar
    fivepastthree

Escada by Escada

Presuming that this is the fragrance that is sold in the pale gren/white glittery packaging, then this took over from Burberry London as my favourite scent when I received it as a Christmas present in 2005. It it a lovely, fresh, delicate fragrance; I want to describe it as having "pale" fruity and floral scents; it's a fairly subtle perfume. It possibly reminds me of the fragrance of certain baby products; perhaps oil or talcum powder or something. I once left my scarf at my boyfriend's friend's house; when my boyfriend returned it to me, his friend's mother had asked him to ask me what this fragrance was, as it was the best she had ever smelt. Perfume compliments are lovely :-) One thing about this perfume that I can't say about others is that I am unable to recognise it on other people. A friend once wore it and I had to ask what she was wearing, hoping that I was about to discover a new and wonderful fragrance, only to find that she was wearing the same as me. I am yet to find a scent that pleases me as much as this one does.

Shalimar by Guerlain

I've tried to wear it so many times, but have now given up. Hopefully a friend will tell me they like it one day & I can pass my bottle on.

I find it far to cloying and overwhelming and it's not my body chemistry, even sniffing the top of the bottle makes me want to gag.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I love it .. makes me feel young & flirty .. and that's not bad thing for a 55 year old!

When I first spray it on, I always think it's way too sweet, but then it dries off to a subtle soft powdery scent that lingers for hours.

Young Sexy Lovely by Yves Saint Laurent

A wonderful flowery and slightly fruity middle notes with lingering base notes. A very feminine elegant scent. Longlasting. Not overpowering & suitable for day or night. Gorgeous bottle.

John West's avatar
    John West

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

It sounds as though the last two thumbs down reviews were written by the same person... This scent is subtle yet sophisticated; definitely for the mature gentleman rather than for youths. An artful blending of bergamot, sandalwood, nutmeg, clove and lemon, this is an ideal fragrance for the workplace, as it never overpowers. It makes it presence known upon close encounters, when its lingering spicy tobacco-like top-note suggests that one is in the company of a clean, well-groomed, sophisticated man...

tigerlilly_973's avatar
    tigerlilly_973
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Kiss Him by KISS

I was thoroughly entertained when I spotted Kiss Him in Ulta a couple weeks ago. What a goofy premise for a cologne, right? Not only that, I sprayed it on a card, and it was exACTly what I expected... essence of sweaty rockstar! Actually, it was kind of attractive. Anyway, I put it out of my mind and went on trying girly things. Weeks later I'd found nothing I liked. Everything I tried turned sweet and simple on me, or went pungently rancid.
    I found myself at Ulta again today, and in a moment of caprice, I sprayed on some KiSS Him. (I wear men's scents quite well, and since I'd been having such bad luck...). Holy wow!!! This stuff is DIVINE!!! It's dark and smokey and sultry and it definitely works on a woman. I feel inCREdibly sexy in it. It’s the only scent I've tried in months that KEEPS it's complexity as it wears... I still catch different things every time I sniff...a spike of incense, something warm and sweet (that must be the dark rum absolute), a smell like woodsmoke (or concert smoke), and something very pheromonic that I can only describe as sexy, sexy BO). It’s a warm, wanton, dark… has wonderful depth and dimension. It would be unbelievable in winter. I’m going to give Kiss Her a try (the fig leaf and red pepper and mahogany are intriguing) but I’m DEFinitely buying a bottle of the men’s stuff! I’ve finally found something I love!!

Kiss Him features top notes of bergamot, white pepper, anise and black cumin followed by middle notes of lavender, cypress, fir balsam and dark rum absolute. Base notes of sandalwood, tonka, moss and honeyed amber crystals.

No. 5 by Chanel

If you do not like this fragrance and would really like to....go out and purchase the most expensive version of it which is the Parfum at approximately $80-$100 per quarter ounce. No sprays, no parfum spray, no EDT, no EDC. FORGET all of that! I happen to like it all the way down to the EDC body splash, but if you are not a fan, the Parfum will convert you and a lightbulb will go off in your head. "Ah...that's what all the fuss is about." If you STILL do not like it, just sell it on eBay; you won't have a problem getting rid of it. Or surprise your Mom on Mother's Day. She will think you are the best daughter in the world.

So classic, it defies description with mere words. There is a reason why people wear it. There is a reason why it comes in at #1 throughout the world, almost every year. I think it conjures something up in us that spells class, sophistication. It's the parum you wear on your wedding day. But there is nothing wrong with you if you don't agree. Just try even the tiniest amount of the parfum before you make your final decision.

29 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2011)

J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

Along with Opium and My Sin, one of my all time favorite perfumes. It is probably the most feminine perfume I have ever smelled. It's sweet without being sickening and dark without being overbearing ... more warm, sensuous, welcoming.....My first purchase was in the early 80s at the famous Henri Bendel perfume "salon." A French saleswoman recommended it to me and she was right. I fell madly in love. Every man I ever encounter wearing this fragrance has absolutely loved it. It never lets me down! Definitely not for warm weather, though; much more for the cooler months or, at least, at night. It dries down powdery but very soft, still very feminine. My next purchase was at Harrod's at the Guy LaRoche counter and thanks to the Internet, I have a ton of it now. I have both GLR and new versions and I cannot tell the difference and I have a very sensitive nose. Buy the parfum, which is all I buy, as opposed to cologne or EDT.

29 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2011)

White Linen by Estée Lauder

I have worn this in the past and I do like it, though I preferred the parfum to the EDT or EDP. It definitely does its name proud and evokes freshness just about as well as anything could. I would give it a glorious thumbs up .... except there is a sharpness to it that becomes unsettling after it lingers for a while. And, as with all EL fragrances, it lingers strong for way too long a period of time. I do encourage you to try it, though. It may just be the reaction her perfumes have on my skin.

Update: One of my friends who works at EL got me a pure batch of this and it is awesome. The best! I adore it! I think they sell it as White Linen Pure or something like that. This is the one to get! It will change your mind ... it did mine!

29 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2011)

Acier Aluminium by Creed

A girlie scent that's quite manly.

Say what?

This one opens up with amber and vanilla notes that are quite sweet--but then the musk and civet come forth like gangbusters.

( Is it real civet? Not unless Oliver's bribed the ASPCA--but let's let Creed's ' I'm so natural' hype slide and get back to the scent )

The male and female notes do a tango back and forth all the way to drydown.

What is this anyway? Jaipur crossed with MKK ??

Weird? Yes.
    Decadent? Affirmative.
    Sophisticated? Roger that.

Bottom line is that this is an evening scent for when you're too lazy to be dashing and bold, and so you leave Antaeus on the shelf, while you recline on the couch like a patrician Roman as nubile harem girls feed you grapes.
    Not bad, huh?

30th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

You Have Got To Be Kidding! They discontinued this? And I thought the think tank at Aramis was comprised of total twits for discontinuing Havana.

Damn! I don't even own a full bottle.

Well, it's all been corroborated by independant witnesses, judge. It's sophisticated, warm, elegant, sexy and distinctive. I rest my case.

--------

These are the notes:

Top--bergamot and clary sage oils, green note, lemon, pimento.

Middle-carnation, cedarwood oil, cinammon, fruit notes, geranium, jasmine, patchouli, pine needle, sandalwood.

Base--amber, labdanum, leather, moss, musk, oilbanum, styrax, vanilla.

Now, there are survivors of the 80's--but why kill this masterpiece yet keep alive pedestrian ones?

Well, my guess is that, as in the case of the defunct Jean Patou PH, most acqua-androgynous wearing teens would--if they ever got a chance to smell it, dub it an 'old man's cologne'

*sigh*

Now let's see, would I rather drive a modern Sports Utility (contradiction in terms!) Vehicle or an old man's Phantom V Rolls Royce?

Boy, now there's a tough choice. . .

L'Homme Sage by Divine

Not for me. The opening is much too sweet to be wise. It settles down after a couple of hours (no complaints aout longevity with this one) and is then bearable. Really best suited for the 'Yumsters!' crowd.
    Development is amazing, though.
    At the end, you'd swear you've worn several different frags. Drydown is quite good but there's a weird herbal mid-note ( I should talk, I love Minotaure ) that is off-putting.
    I can appreciate it as a work of the perfumer's art, just not anything I'd care to wear.

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

Like my other two favourite ambery orientals, Shalimar and Obsession, Anne Pliska actually glows in the heat and are a real treat, just like vanilla ice cream...

What I first got from Anné Pliska was a summery note of orange and cream soda slushy topped with soft vanilla ice cream, along with daring hints of leather (or wintergreen and birch), creating a root-beer-like effect – which adds an interesting, contrasting accent. After a few minutes this thirst-quenching, cool concoction of sweet crushed ice and vanilla desert fades a bit, and the herbal note softens and moves to the background (perhaps it is tampered by the sweeter, more well-mannered geranium). Vanilla and amber are definitely the most dominant notes and are the theme of Anné Pliska, and are much softer and mellower in the dry down, and become almost powdery. But despite the fact that the scent stays quite linear for most of the composition – it is never boring. The notes weave in and out and maintain the sweet and lovable presence of amber.

Anné Pliska , made by South Californian independent perfumer by the same name, was launched in 1987 (two years after Obsession). Although it shares many similarities with Obsession, it is quite different and more sultry and complex. Think about the creamiest Shalimar vanilla, the amber of Tabu and Obsession, the orange-mandarin notes of Obsession, a tad of unique spiciness that is vaguely reminiscent of Joop! For Men - and an unusual, mysterious oomph of its own – and you get Anné Pliska. If you love these three bombshell orientals, you must try Anné Pliska. In fact, you must try Anné Pliska anyways because it is a special amber perfume, and an example for what a well-made American perfume is: boldly luxurious and sensual, yet sophisticated and elegant.

Top notes: Orange, Mandarin, Wintergreen/Birch
    Heart notes: Geranium, Vanilla
    Base notes: Amber, Vanilla, Patchouli

Farnesiana by Caron

Farnesiana is the cream of the crop in the world of mimosa soliflores. It is tastefully decadent, like a buttery almond pastry flavoured with flower essences, Farnesiana is more gourmand than floral.

Farnesiana was recreated by Michel Morsetti from Ernest Daltroff’s notes after his death in 1941. The name is taken from the Latin name for cassie, Acacia Farnesiana, as well as the garden in the Roman palace of Farnese which is the inspiration for Farnesiana. However, there is nothing Mediterranean about it, unless you recall the rich butter-soaked floor of an almond-filled baklava. The sweetness of Farnesiana, however, has none of the burning sweetness of the honey syrup of this Middle Easter pastry. It can be likened to a marzipan flavoured with floral waters, if such a thing ever existed.

In the time it was released in 1947, it was ahead of its time. Many gourmands nowadays pale in comparison to Farnesiana’s innovation and class.

Farnesiana is available directly from the Caron bouqitues in Paris and New York. I was very impressed with the excellent customer service of the Caron ladies in New York, Cathy Lily and Diane Haksa. The package arrived in a couple of days within the US to my aunt’s house, where it rested for a while until my aunt found her way to the post office (which can be easily explained by the fact that she is a busy 50+ mother of twin toddler boys). The long wait just wet my appetite and made me enjoy Farnesiana even more, when I almost forgot I ordered it. It came in the most exquisite silver coloured satin bag, fit for a queen, and accompanied by a few generous parfum extrait samples from the urn fragrances. The presentation made me think instantly of Marie Antoinette, who equally enjoyed pastries and perfumes.

Farnesiana opens with mimosa and cassie, but you know right away this is going to be a very unusual mimosa scent. The heliotrope note peak in right away, with its sweet, fluffy, powdery almondness. The heart is powdery and floral but not as indolic as Mimosaique or Une Fleur de Cassie, as the presence of jasmine is tampered by the lightness of farnesol and linalol in lily of the valley and lilac and the melancholy powder of violets. You won’t smell them on their own, but their effect is felt and adds a certain airy lightnes to what is otherwise a rich, sweet, dark composition. What’s most intriguing in Farnesiana, besides its extreme dessert-like appeal, is its ability to remain so Caronesque, despite the fact that it is dusted mostly with the bright yellow flower of mimosa, ever so light and airy on its own. The most dominant element that creates this Caronesque impression is the presence of opoponax, in addition to the darkly sweet and melancholy heliotrope. It adds a musky, resinous, animalic, daring and unusual touch which is just perfect with the other base notes (vanilla and musk being the most prominent besides the opoponax and heliotrope).

Top notes: Cassie, Mimosa, Bergamot
    Heart notes:,Jasmine, Lilly of the Valley, Violet, Lilac
    Base notes: Cassie, Opoponax, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Musk, Heliotrope

Jardanel by Jean Desprez

Reminds me vaguely of vintage Chantilly with leathery and dry undertones yet an overall sweet smoothness. I really like this one!
    The top is very muted, but you can still smell some remains of citrus and of course – an aldehydic and leathery opening. The heart is of rose and jasmine but mostly the very appealing (in fact, addictive!) notes of myrrh and Saxon moss. Base notes are earthy and leathery and very Chypre, with vetiver, oakmoss and leather, but the final dry down is musky in a very Shalimaresque way.

Top: muted citrus, Leathery notes
    Heart: Myrrh, Peru Balsam oil
    Base: Leather, Vetiver, Oakmoss

(Blind Review)

Ginger Essence by Origins

This zesty concoction will satisfy your thirst for a refreshing cup of ginger and lemon tea, sweetened with honey!
    It is as simple as that – fresh, balsamic citrus notes of lemon and a hint of lime, the fresh and pungent yet warm spiciness of ginger sweetened with honey and sparkled with green tea undertones. There may be some trace amounts of vetiver and elemi – there is a hint of woodiness at the base, but overall this is a one-dimensional synergy with one aroma therapeutic goal: to refresh you while keeping you calm and confident.
    It is quite long lasting as well – a lot more than you would expect from such a fresh citrus perfume.
    It smells very natural and young: no synthetic chemical notes disturbed my enjoyment of this uplifting juice!
    If you like ginger and citrus and need a pick-me-up fragrance for those sleepy afternoon at the office – that would be a great choice.

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

There are very few sun tan oils or sunscreen lotions that I like; yet, there is something immediately captivating about scents that bring to mind that sun-and-and-soaked feel of sunbathing products – the feeling of freedom and carefree, both peaceful and wild.

Fire Island is not so much fiery as it is bottled water-fun. It is suggestive of both watery breezes and sun-tan lotion: the scent that emanates from my skin when I climb out of the pool, dripping chlorinated water that washed away some of that gardenia and lily scented sunscreen. The late afternoon breeze is blowing, slightly chilling the skin into pleasurable goose bumps that glitter in the diagonal rays of sun that is just about to set in the horizon.

The Bond No. 9 line was designed to conjure memorable locations in New York. I have only been to New York once, so I cannot comment on the connection between the locations and the scents. Fire Island is named after a dune-y beach in the city, and the scent is one of the most likeable and easy to wear beach scents I know. The perfumer, Michel Almairac, also created the similarly innocent Secret Wish (Anna Sui), the sweet Casmir by Chopard, and many more.

The notes, according to Bond No. 9 are:

Top notes: Cardamom, Ozone
    Heart notes: Neroli, White Musk
    Base notes: Skin Musk, Tuberose, Patchouli

Personally, I smell mostly the ozone note, and notes of gardenia and lily and a slightly creamy musk with a hint of neroli.

After My Own Heart by Ineke

Ineke’s perfumes, unlike their longish titles, are minimalist and calculated. The lilac-bouquet named After My Own Heart is an alphabetized representation of the emotion of longing and romance: a burst of lilac flowers, twigs and all, softly brushing against a blushing cheek in an anticipation for caressing kiss. A promise of love, the buds of passion invoked by hints of indole and the luscious juice dripping off freshly picked raspberries. As the crushed twigs and rubbed petals lose their freshness, they make room for rosy and powdery accords, gradually sweetening into a dry out of musk, vanilla and heliotrope.

After and before
    Today and tomorrow
    Sand becoming a wave
    What was it I saw at the top of the world
    as I fell asleep last night?
    I tried putting lilacs in your dreams
    You smiled in your sleep
    I hear your words like the wind
    whispering in my ear
    the most enchanting words
    after my own heart

donna255's avatar
    donna255
    Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Cadolle No. 9 by Cadolle

I came across Cadolle No9 from Les Senteurs way back in the late 90's. James sent me a sample and I fell madly in love. Created in 1925, I own the now discontinued edp version.

No9 is rich heady very decadent feminine fragrance. Starts like a big floral sweet and morish a summer garden in the sun. Then the base comes in, changing the garden to far eastern resins and woods. Think Cecil B Mills silent exotic epic starring Gloria Swanson.

Grommit53's avatar
    Grommit53

Cavalli Man by Roberto Cavalli

Cavalli Man is just awful. Without doubt the worst fragrance that I have ever purchased. When I tested it on a paper strip it smelt interesting. However, on my skin it has no distinctive notes and it barely lasts an hour.

Joe_Frances's avatar
    Joe_Frances

Sables by Annick Goutal

Think: Dr. Pepper with a dash of some kind of motor oil and wild growing French herbs, and you're on the right track, but there the adventure only begins. Sables is dark and intoxicating. It is reminiscent of Eau Noire not in the way it smells but in the way it projects: they both create a special ambience- -a little atmosphere all their own where the seduced air is just a little thicker than the common air around them. Where Eau Noire is dark green, Sables is ambery brown. Sables projects a moderate suave sweetness that is somehow totally masculine, warm and sophisticated. It has moderate projection and longevity. This is good. Anymore, and it could be too much. Just make sure to apply Sables prudently. The only way I can give even a glimpse of this is to come back to the opening and say there is a strong hint of Dr. Pepper, or maybe its root beer, cut with motor oil and exotic herbs, probably some little flowers, and maybe there is sandalwood in there as well. Who knows for sure? But whatever it is it is absolutely perfect for a man who loves rich fragrances. The verdict: Thumbs up? What a banal way to judge Sales. Annick Goutal, of happy memory, I salute you! What Estee Lauder did with JHL for her husband you did with Sables for yours, and we are so lucky for that!

Joe_Frances's avatar
    Joe_Frances

Thundra by Profumum

I detect a light patchouli and musk, with very little mint. The mint might have helped. The overall effect is ethereal, certainly it is not an earthy fragrance, as patchouli and musk would suggest. Rather, it is more sea and sky. Light and appealing to some, I find it insubstantial and without context-- it is on the cutting edge (or the bleeding edge) of unisex, neither masculine or feminine. It is a fragrance of uncertain commitment; not objectionable, not common, not particularly compelling either.

kaos.geo's avatar
    kaos.geo

Adidas Urban Spice by Adidas

Adidas Urban Spice has been the fragrance I find most suitable for bringing to work.
    It is not outstanding, but it is at least its own fragrance, I mean it doesn´t come across as some other frag´s clone.
    I keep returning to buy the deodorant and I bought the eau de toilette, but as with "perfectstranger" my bottle is still half full.
    This could be a sleeper classic if it only had a little more personality.
    The deodorant mixes well with other frags, meaning it does not clash, at least with the ones I use (Prada Man,Odeur71, Arancia di capri, to name a few)
    I recommend all to give it a try, it is really inexpensive. Good price/benefit ratio ;-)

Melinika's avatar
    Melinika

Curve Crush for Women by Liz Claiborne

Went on smelling a bit powdery so I wasn't sure I would like it. After it dried down it was a little floral, a bit sweet, and had a surprisingly spicy tinge to it. Definitely long-lasting. Happy with the quality for the price.

Naed_Nitram's avatar
    Naed_Nitram

Carlo Corinto Classic by Carlo Corinto

I believe that this complex and interesting scent was one of the few perfumes that the reclusive dandy Jean Floressas Duc des Esseintes took with him when he chose to retire from the world to his house at Fontenay on the outskirts of Paris.
    His reasons for this choice were noted in his diary: "Since Carlo Corinto contains echoes of so many other scents, perambulating from the sublime and serene to the grotesque and ridiculous, it is obviously more economical, in an aesthetic rather than a merely commercial sense, to encapsulate all these variegated odours and atmospheres within a single perfume. The serene minty abstraction of the slightly bourgeois Azzaro Pour Homme, the aristocratic weight of Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, the poetic autumnal smoke of Leonard Pour Homme, the masculine ruminations of the underrated Quorum, the almost criminal vulgarity of the noxious messes that are One Man Show and Krizia Uomo, the metaphysical peregrinations of Oscar Pour Lui and Zegna - plus a certain flat monotony that is all its own - they are all there. I am convinced that Carlo Corinto will memorialise for me the whole gamut of joy and sorrow, beauty, ugliness and boredom which pervades the world I am abandoning!"
    His experiment with Carlo Corinto could, I suppose, be called a success. On occasions, the two elderly servants whom he had brought with him from his ancestral home at the Chateau de Lourps would find him quietly sniffing his wrists, an appreciative look in his eye. At other times, they found him writhing in anguish on the carpet, gasping for breath, as if suffocating from some unspeakable stench from the sewers.

Naitch's avatar
    Naitch

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Way over-hyped. I tried this at Dillards and couldn't believe how terrible this stuff really smelled. Reading about it you would think it's sex in a bottle. Maybe if you have this plus $50 in your hand.

P-Natra's avatar
    P-Natra
    Germany Germany

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I bought this scent today and it works so nice in the summertime. It reminds me, when i walking on the beach...the Montale Sandflowers is also nice, but Aqua Motu for that price...it is ok.
    Fresh seawater, hot sand...it smells like the beach...very nice for a young man...

rjrober22's avatar
    rjrober22

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I've got three words for you....
    MAST--ER--PIECE !

shifts's avatar
    shifts
    Sweden Sweden

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A very very wellbehaved cinnamon fragrance, almost too soft and mellow in the beginning. There is some sort of clearity to it I just can't put my finger on, but after a while I get and iris like sensation.

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Lovely Prism by Givenchy

I've read the nose behind this creation is Marc Buxton. This limited edition blend of citrus, florals and woods is not particularly innovative however it is a departure from this perfumer's mainly uni-sex/male fragrances. (He has produced several Comme de Garcons scents.) All in all it is a not too sweet fruity floral. The listed notes I found are: green apple, cassis, clementine, peony, magnolia, apple blossom, hawthorne, sandalwood and iris. IMO the flower blend here comes across like osmanthus, and I'm unable to pick out the iris. Mild and innoffensive, this is one scent to be enjoyed for a season. Personally, a little boring for my taste.