Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Rocabar by Hermès

This is really nothing to write home about. Goes from a pungent opening of pine to almost nothing in about 2 hours. Not a good offering from Hermes and not as good or unique as Bel Ami or their Jardin range.

GentlemanFarmer's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Astor by Geo F Trumper

Astor is definitively a member of the fougere family. It reminds me at a first sniff to Loewe Esencia. Astor is masculine and not very long lasting, to be honest I am a bit disappointed Astor didn't meet my expectations, although is not bad but is far to be an exceptional Gentlemen cologne.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Pink Aftershave by D.R. Harris & co.

This is a very light rose-fragranced aftershave. It should be understood, however, that the rose smell could be considered merely as an after thought for a product that is meant to soothe the skin and not pleasure the nose. Accepted for what it is, it is very fine, and the smell is appealing for the few minutes it can be discerned in the bathroom. On that basis, a positive review is called for.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

The fresh smell of green grass, freshly mowed. Ah, verdant lawns, and spring air. Nice, really nice. Oh, but where's the vetiver? Could it be that OC didn't want to call this Original Grass? Nice, polite, country fragrance. Not what I would be looking for in a vetiver.

Lalique (original) by Lalique

What a WONDERFUL fragrance, and they've done it again. This was the BEST of the Lalique women's fragrances, and now it's gone. I would like to know who at Lalique decided on discontinuing this one. Whomever it is, or they are, they should be fired for discontinuing Lalique's namesake women's fragrance. I tell you, some of the younger executives at the fragrance companies certainly must have it out for the older customers who are accustomed to the older fragrances. It just tells me that their longtime customers are expendable and that they're only concerned about the bottom line instead of keeping their longtime customers happy. Lalique is very inconsiderate to their customers who bought this fragrance all those years. They are totally inconsiderate and selfish. It makes me question why I am buying Lalique products when they do this to their customers. A lot of other companies have discontinued their namesake fragrances, e.g., Gucci, Balenciaga, etc. It seems like fragrance companies are getting cheap with the essential oil content in their fragrances. I haven't found a fragrance in the last 10 years or so that is worth anything. Most men's fragrances nowadays don't last more than 5 or 10 minutes on the skin. Come on, fragrance companies, who are you trying to kid/swindle? We, or at least I, can tell you're getting cheaper by the day.

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

Yes, I smell juniper berries, but is there also a hint of clove? I absolutely LOVE this fragrance and would say it's in my top 10. I own about 15 bottles of the EDP since I never wanted to run out of this one. Yes, I LOVE IT THAT MUCH! It is quite unique, not like anything else out there, and the staying power is EXCELLENT. A fragrance for a WEALTHY man, one whose mansion/abode overlooks the 15th hole at the local snob's club. With that kind of wealth, it's only appropriate to be a snob! Got to live up to the image (not to mention my beautiful new Mercedes). Anyway, this is a fragrance that a rich man would wear. Kinda like Mick Jagger wearing Cuir Russie by Chanel and Keith Richard wearing Habit Rouge by Guerlain, Equus is worn by another entrepreneur, Jon Remy!

Lalique pour Homme Blue / Faune by Lalique

This is a nice fragrance, perhaps similar to Allure (I like Allure better), but think it smells more like Azzaro's Pure Lavender from The Azzaro Collection. I still don't know why they called it "Pure Lavender." I smell no lavender whatsoever. Maybe they were referring to the color of the juice. Anyway Lalique Faune smells almost exactly like Azzaro Pure Lavender, period.

Eau de Lalique by Lalique

I love this fragrance, Eau de Lalique. If this is the fragrance in the large square glass bottle with beaded edges, I LOVE this fragrance. I loved this fragrance from the moment I smelled it and told myself I will wear it regardless of it being for women. I found the fragrance to be very fresh and invigorating. I ALWAYS get compliments when I wear this one. I would say its a little similar with Eau de Cartier, but I think Eau de Lalique lasts longers and has a "fresher" quality to it. A perfect scent for "soccer moms" because it smells so summer-like. This comes in a 6.7-ounce size, which is a deal because I bought it for about $34 USD. I stocked up on it and bought 6 bottles to give away as gifts. As all my friends know, if you come to my house, you can expect to leave with a bottle of cologne. I love giving fragrance as gifts to my good friends. Anyway, this one is definitely a WINNER!!

kewart's avatar

Comme une Evidence by Yves Rocher

May I recommend you all try the lighter edt. version of this called Un Jour se Leve. It is absolutely gorgeous in an airy,nonchalant,flirty way. Rhubarb lends it an appealing, zesty top note and the middle notes are warm and to die for. Lasts quite well for an edt. at least four hours on me.The YR blurb compares this scent to the first rays of sunlight piercing the sky - how can anyone resist that?<br>Apparently this is the second-best selling scent in France (after Chanel no. 5 and before Angel)and they know a thing or two.... What's more it's very inexpensive. What more could you ask for?

01st May, 2007 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)

kewart's avatar

Lullaby Super-fume by Perfume of Life

Lullaby is a new perfume created by Jeffrey Dame for Long Lost Perfumes.
    It is a soft, billowy cloud of blue; a lost soul crying out for love; a powdery pillow of mimosa, heliotrope, violet and vanilla - a comforting,evocative scent.
    The top notes were very fleeting on my skin and soon gave way to the middle which was, to my nose, predominately heliotrope and mimosa.
    It stays close to the skin and lasts quite well.
    Lullaby is slightly reminiscent of L'Heure Bleu.

markc's avatar

Vetyver Uomo by Malizia

Pretty nice, but doesn't last long. A very clean take on vetiver. A hesitant thumbs up

L'Inizio Sport by Carlo Corinto

A sort of plainclothes policeman among fragrances - innocuous, inoffensive, fairly boring, easily lost in the crowd. A hint of spice, a hint of freshness, nothing much to either like or dislike here.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

When the reclusive dandy Jean Floressas Duc des Esseintes chose to retreat from the world to his house at Fontenay, it is known that the only mass market fragrance that he took with him was Tabac.
    His reasons for this were noted in his diary: " It is perfectly obvious that Tabac, this subtle, carnation-tinged elixir of clean freshness and powdery comfort, is the unavoidable choice of honest, worthy and sensitive souls - bright-eyed and kindly, modest and adaptable, solicitous embrace, fresh laundry flapping in the summer breeze, dear friend of winter days! Niche perfumiers would give their eye-teeth to have invented it! Besides, everyone knows that niche perfumes are generally purchased by braying bourgeois and nouveau riche, the kind of people who talk too loudly, jostle you in the street without a word of apology, and, with utter thoughtlessness, run baby carriages into your knees! For that reason alone, niche perfumes should be avoided!"
    What other scents he took with him to his exquisite retreat is uncertain, but they probably included Dior's Jules, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Caron Pour Un Homme, YSL Pour Homme, the original green Jaguar and Jaguar Mark II, Leonard Pour Homme, Worth Pour Homme, the original Paco Rabanne, Quorum, Guerlain's Vetiver and Coriolan, Bowling Green, Nino Cerruti Pour Homme, Cotswold by Dukes of Pall Mall, Signoricci, Portos by Balenciaga, Cacharel Pour Homme and Monsieur de Givenchy.

Luciano Soprani Uomo by Luciano Soprani

The more recent Luciano Soprani Uomo (2003) is not to be confused with the older Soprani Uomo (1988). The latter is much the better scent to my nose, an artistic and delightful fusion of lemon and herbs. Luciano Soprani Uomo, on the other hand, has a more fruity flavour to its opening, which is pleasant enough. But it soon develops into a sweetish woody smell which I find both cloying and boring. One is left hoping that it will either go away or develop into something more interesting - but it doesn't. Someone has remarked that there is a certain affinity with Cacharel Pour Homme. Possibly, barely. But Luciano Soprani Uomo totally lacks the beauty, panache and sparkle of Cacharel, one of the classics of male fragrance.

petergunny's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

First tried this frag on march 07, the 15ml's one. The lady on the counter didnt want to spray it, so I only sniff the sprayhead. I dont like it because the only things I can detect was only burnt rubber. Yesterday I went to mall near to my house n found a small perfume shop, I was very supprised that they have Odeur 71 200 ml since this perfume is very hard-to-find in my country, I've got a one full spray in my arm. The opening's still a burnt rubber but after 5 minutes it transformed into something transparent-fresh-woody fragrance, a really well blended one. My wife also like it very much. My body chemistry never compromise with any fresh kind of frag, but this one is the first fresh frag that I can use. I also found that this is very complex, you can almost find anything inside.

RuffDawg's avatar

Rubylips by Salvador Dali

I'm not impressed at all. To me it smells kind of cheap, reminds me of those lower end fruity scented body splashes. Theres nothing unique or memorable to this scent at all, its like one of those ,I've smelled it before, type scents that Liz Claiborne and Elizabeth Arden keep putting out. Blah :-P

Andre BH's avatar

Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia

I just found this uni-sexual fragrance yesterday at Nordstroms. I was not in the market to buy any more colognes, but then the Carthusia bottles were sitting on their own shelf and I had to try them.

The bottle first got me. It is square with with a family crescent on the face and an old ornate font.

Then the smell...I instantly related to it. It reminded me somehow of Guerlain. It smelled 100 years old, with a scent of fine powder. Citrus, bergamot...it is both Mediterranean and aristocratic. Not sensual, or seductive, but subtle and elegant.

It is made in Capri, and it has a very Italian reserve and cleanliness to it, like a man who is just freshly shaved an puts on a well tailored white cotton shirt with perfectly pressed linen trousers. Or a woman of a certain age who has her hair tied back in a bun, and wears the finest cashmere cardigan and drinks limoncello on the veranda of the house overlooking the water.

It is an old European creation, even if it is relatively new. It bestows a quiet refinement and intelligence on the wearer that doesn't shout but is reassuring and wonderfully familiar.

jlros's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I was looking for a warm weather scent that was subtle but notable, warm but sophisticated.

Daim Blond is my first brush with Lunten's and it was notably more wearable than the other Luten's I tested that day.

I often wear suede shirts in the evening and have always loved that scent. Daim Blond is buttery soft suede and apricots. The other notes are less notable other than the musk which lingers .

While I bought it thinking it was a scent I could wear anywhere I have become less convinced. It is not a summer day but rather a warm day of rain.

Now, having recently purchased M7 Fresh.... anytime, anywhere... warm, casual, wearable, sophisticated.

clarala's avatar

Touch of Spring by Lacoste

I tried this on today when my friend and I were trying to find a fragrance for her and it actually made me feel a bit sick! It smells like grass and its definatly not something I would want to wear

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

this is good stuff, possibly one of the best 'summer' scents. I tried this alongside Eternity Summer, JPG and Issey Miyake 'summer' versions, and I must say I was drawn only to the Burb.
    All the others seem like weak if not inferior versions of the original, whereas the Burb was a unique scent. Fresh and confident, it brightens as it driesdown, it puts one in a perpetual state of cool warmth that only a lazy airy summer afternoon can deliver, well coupled with just the right amount of energy sufficient for a little mischief. Highly recommended!

amandasurbey's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

I like it better than the version for women. I wear it often. It works as a unisex scent.

odysseusm's avatar

Calvin by Calvin Klein

I have removed my previous review, which was negative. I now find things to appreciate here, though I still have some reservations.
    This is a powerful, aromatic fougere-style scent. There are lots of herbal-spice notes circulating throughout.
    For me, the patchouli is the issue. Predictably leathery, a bit sweet, and fairly substantial – all the characteristics of these sort of 1980’s powerhouse scents. If patchouli is your thing, you’ll appreciate this. It is a classy and assertive scent, very much of its era.

01st May, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Curzon by Geo F Trumper

Trumper is reticent about revealing the fragrance pyramid of its scents. As others have noted, the company blurb simply says, “slightly spicy overtones add to a light chypre note.” A generic chypre formula would be: TOP (bergamot, lemon), MID (rose, jasmine), BASE (moss and patchouli, often with labdanum and clary sage). So we expect a citrus opening, a floral middle and a grassy-herbal base, and that is basically what we get. Curzon has a lemon-lime opening: there are pretty good citrus notes here, realistic and persistent for citrus. The floral middle is quite ‘pretty’, and gives this a somewhat feminine personality. Then the mossy base emerges, with good quality moss and herbal sage notes. These elements return the scent to the masculine realm. As stated, this is a light chypre. The dry-down is grassy, mossy, attractive.

winterlove's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I just HAD to have this classic perfume in my collection. Today I managed to get a gorgeous shalimar gift set with a EDP, body mist and hair gel in a gorgeous make up bag.

Anyway, the EDP is just lovely! Definately has the 'lemon pie' thing happening that other reviewers have pointed to. This sits very well on my skin, i love the sweetness of the vanilla and the sharpness of the bergamot - work so well together once the bergamot top note settles a little and the vanilla comes through more.

Can't wait to add more classic Guerlain fragrances to my collection!

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

The green top notes are just wonderful... if only they could last longer... I just can't feel the middle note and the base one is just awful for me... as day goes by I feel like I'm with a incense stick on me...

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Crave by Calvin Klein

This one was once in my wish list but, fortunately, a friend of mine had a bottle and I could just loose all the passion for this fragrance... Thinking now, it was very artificial, simple and exclusively for summertime. It can still be found here in São Paulo, Brazil, even though it was discontinued.

wiley1st's avatar

Carven Homme by Carven

Warm, rich, and a bit heavy on me but the rosewood-cinnamon-vanilla-cedar dry down is simply delicious. I would only wear this indoors with a *very* light application and it seems more suited to cooler days than summer heat.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Now it's my "alter ego" scent. First it seemed to me a masculine caricature of "Shalimar". But it proved to be like the olives: nobody likes them at first taste but mostly becomes their admirer then.
    This scent makes me always feel a kind of "deja vu" just as the old songs by Marlene Dietrich. By the way, she consedered it to be the best masculine fragrance.
    Anyway it's a carismatic, harmonic and at the same time contradictory between sweet and bitter notes scent. It couldn't be entangle with no other scent.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Just awful scent... Flat, boring and troublesome. It really makes me feel sick. Seems to be a sustaining single note played at the early electronic piano.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

For me it became a real and welcome and unexpected substituition for quite feminine (IMHO) Jickie. Greate and sumptuous scent, unfortunately it's not intended for modern every day life. But for some special events it makes you feel rising to the occasion.