Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

Buzzlepuff's avatar

R de Capucci by Roberto Capucci

The easiest description of R de Capucci is a lighter and subtler and much more wearable version of Aramis. If you like the basic fragrance notes of Aramis you will really enjoy this one. It contains many of the same notes of the venerable 1960's favorite but is It's like a shy cousin that is a little more sensitive and interesting in the middle notes. The drydown is less glaring leaving out the sandalwood and with an addition of a small amount of leather/amber to soften the chypre effect. I find it very enjoyable, but I can't get past the similarity to the other one which I learned to avoid long ago.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

Spicy and dark, like a heady Bay Rum spice that vibrates with mystery and fun. There is a Caribbean vibe here. Quickly became one of my favorites. Unlike other spice scents this one has a warm but raw herbal resonance that provides depth to the spice notes - possibly from the sativa oil base. The pepper opens the nose to the resinous spice and the chocolate/vanilla rounds out the body of this very pleasant scent. A magical spice potion that I don't want to stop smelling.

ichristofer's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Citrico by Comme des Garçons

Wonderfully fresh, light, and perfect for Summer.

It promises this and delivers for about...5 minutes (at least for me)no matter how much I put on or even if I dab it on clothes (discreetly). I have read all these reviews and wonder if I got a bad batch?

I wish it would last longer because it is exceptional and less spicy than C&S Neroli.

Nicole Farhi Homme by Nicole Farhi

Recently sampled this very hard to find fragrance. I do understand the Safari comparison (obviously a eucalyptus connection), but there is another juice out there even more similar to Nicole Farhi Homme - Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue Pour Homme. They share the same sharp, astringent opening and that slightly sour, herbal, woody thing going on. I guess that doesn´t sound too good, but it actually works great, creating a complex impression, almost like a cold forest. The tea tree is easy to detect like the others pointed out but I think the fragrance would have benefited from a bit of softening of that particular note. Personally I associate that specific smell with medicinal anti-acne products.

It has to be said though, Nicole Farhi is a very interesting and abstract fragrance. Was greatly surprised by it´s avant-garde presence - cool!

1881 Black by Cerruti

Upon application Cerruti Black immediately reminded me of the original Burberry (the one with the silver cap, formerly known as London). And they certainly share a sticky, synthetic, sweet vibe and an intense mossy feel. I kind of enjoy it in the Burberry but it gets out of hand in this one. Especially that artificial marzipan note goes haywire on me. I did however notice that it works extremely well on some guys, making it one of those "chameleon" colognes that are impossible to judge without trying it on your on skin. On my friend it just smelled warm, clean and projected very strongly. In other words worth a try - results may vary...

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Not bad at all. Familiar territory for most of us as this is mainly based on lavender and vanilla. The fragrance opens with a pungent blast of cardamom. Then the lavender does come on very sharp and strong, but eventually mellows out during the long amber/vanilla drydown. Hypnôse Homme is actually a bit reminiscent of Miracle for men as well, which is kind of cool out of a house continuity perspective. If in the mood for a spicy, fresh and potent oriental, then give this one a go. Clive Owen is a cool guy by the way (he´s the "face" for Hypnôse).

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Kudos to the CK-people for extraordinary packaging on this one. The In 2U bottle surely is an eye-catcher and very good looking in it´s modern coolness. Sadly the juice is below average as one has come to expect from this house nowadays. Boring, artificial semi-oriental that doesn´t know where to go. Kind of powdery, kind of cocoa-ish, not a good composition. And a fleeting one on top of that. Pass.

Naitch's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I could almost give this one a neutral rating because it is a really great scent, but it has no longevity at all. It might last about an hour, 2 maybe (and that's if you empty the bottle). Maybe if it was at least eau de toilette it might be better.

1280adam's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

To keep it simple, this stuff isn't great and you'll end up with a headache after a while when you get sick of smelling it. Sprayed myself with it at Macys after a purchase one night, I couldn't wait to go wash it off. I recieved another sample of it when i bought another bottle and instantly gave it to my little brother who bathes in Candies before he leaves the house at night. Save your money, there is much better out there...

Caltha's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

It feels like a classic chypre, but not "dark" or heavy or musty or sharp or any other such things associated with vintage chypres. No, this is a fresh, light, floral summer chypre with aldehydic powdery/citrusy/soapy topnotes. It has some of the juicy greenness of Cabochard, but it's not that bitterly green/woody at all. It reminds me of Vega - they are both classic, refined scents with aldehyde top, floral middle and woody base, but Sous le vent is greener and spicier, without the almost tropical white florals of Vega.
    Simply put: a lovely scent. Cheerfully green and summery yet refined enough for the office and with vintage-type character enough to make a statement.

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I saw reference to this on Basenotes several times, and when I saw it sitting there in my friend's bathroom while relieving myself of excess toxins in fluid form, I just had to give it a little geschpritzdt.

Many fragrances which I find unpleasant or offensive, like Dali PH, Joop, Davidoff or Bvlgari Black tend to create sensory experiences which like being in battle or running for one's life, are terrifying, yet at the same time stimulating, interesting and give pause for reflection and thought on what just happened.

Jaipur however, is remarkable in that it is both unpleasant and completely boring.

However, what it does have in common with many unpleasant fragrances it lasts a long time, and is very difficult to wash off.

Fascinating!

vawallpa's avatar

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

This has been said before but it really does smell like Boss Bottled, not as sweet though. Nice scent recommended for older men.

scentsitivity's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Creed’s website describes Millésime Impérial as “exotic wood and musk notes are enlivened with a refreshing marine note.” I find a dominant melon-aquatic accord, quite radiant and uplifting. Far more interesting than most aquatic scents. I used to complain about longevity with this one, but not anymore. I get many hours out of it. My one complaint would be that it seems to be fickle in how it presents itself. Sometimes it feels very rich, other times it seems lighter.

09 May, 2007 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2008)

scentsitivity's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Silver Mountain Water exceeded my expectations. I was skeptical of blackcurrant and tea notes – how wrong I was! This scent is light, but with incredible depth, conveying a mix of fresh air and clear flowing streams. Ambergris and musk add a sensual dimension. Silver Mountain Water has decent projection and duration. An outstanding Creed! Positively exhilarating and highly recommended!

Oviatt's avatar

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha

Recently ran into this hard to find old classic at Carroll & Co. in Los Angeles. Like something out of the past, this product has not changed packaging in 50 years. It reminded me strongly of Knize Ten. It has an interesting Early American/Imperial Russian image thing going on and calls itself "The Aristocrat of Colognes." When considering the great leather scents that Knize, Creed, SMN, Chanel, Piver, etc., produce, this should be in the mix. More is available at: www.ELSHA.COM
    (480)540-1601
    info@elsha.com

Spring Flower by Creed

It's quite a 'pop' flower smell-rather modern and definitely something for a younger lady. I agree there are some fruity undertones too - I doubt Audrey Hepburn wore this either. She was too busy being over-rated, rather like this.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I read the Granny Smith top note thingy and thought (THATS IT!!!) It had been bugging me for a while and while it's every chav's favourite stocking filler round where I work, it's also very recognisable and this must surely be why. Modern, female, none-to-intellectual. Were I 16, I'd use it after a PE session, in large quantities. It's a good fragrance for a young girl ot start a collection with

White Rose by Floris

Jax-it was only created in 2002 so couldn't have been Emma Hamilton's scent but perhaps this is based on one she used to wear?
    It's clever because whether there are any white roses in it or not, it makes you think 'ooh it's rosey bit a bit different so maybe it's because it's white'. To me it's more of a damask rose, older somehow.

Imperial Vetyver by Yardley

YOWZA! This one stands as an emergency bottle on my bedside. Like that first aid box in a machinist's workspace, you hope you never have to use it but one day the inevitable happened...the Man has used it several times. It looks like a large bottle of cheap sunflower oil and employs this Olde Worlde charm whereby you have to hold the open bottle-neck in a tight seal to your neck then jerk your body backwards. Well he did, much to my amusement. We both hate to smell of nothing at all, and even I put some on to review it this evening. My eyes, my eyes! It's trying to be green but smells like some sort of terrible base chemical toilet cleaner with 'Male' stamped on it's base in embossed plastic letters. I thought that perhaps it was invented at the dawn of modern English perfumerie for a discerning gentleman but no-1996, created for women. This isn't a crime. Yet.

Brit for Men by Burberry

I didn't agree with any of the positive things written here. It's so citrus it's cranked up beyond citrus and is approaching motor oil. It smells really rancid on my own skin. It actually reminds me of that 'timeless' old man gathering dust on your shelves, BRUT.

Chic by Carolina Herrera

Spicy floral. Just up my street, however this was slightly disappointing. All the notes are fine, just together in this frag they just don't hit the mark. Pleasant enough, fresh enough, affordable enough but totally forgettable.

Carolina by Carolina Herrera

Lovely fragrance. Pink, pretty and feminine, but smells too much like Coco Mademoiselle and Chance to want to repurchase. One plus is that it is considerably less expensive than its Chanel relatives.

Cerruti Image Woman by Cerruti

This is very pleasant. Slightly spicy and very green. An unusual combination. longevity is poor, about 2 hous tops on my skin, but it is so inexpensive that you can afford to reapply as much as you like. Not a drop dead gorgeous smell, but nice enough to use for every day use.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I used to wear this in the 80's but realize it is just as obnoxious as my curly perm and big shoulder pads were.
    How the lovely notes that are allegedly present can amount to such a cheap tacky nauseating effect is astounding. Ideal for anyone who may like to develop an eating disorder. wear this and you are bound to throw up. Thumbs WAY down.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

All of the notes in here I love, so why do I not wear this more often. I guess that it reminds me of BAD 80's fashions, big shoulder pads, bad perms, and cheap package hols when I was a student. Great to look back on and smile, but not experiences you would like to repeat!! More a winter/Autumn frag and definitely worth a try if you are sure it is not going to evoke confusing semi weird memories.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

I bought this fragrance following the rave reviews from this site and feel quite inadequate, as I must be missing something. Yuck.I am 46 years old and feel like an old lady wearing this. It makes me feel as if I should be knitting and drinking cocoa.IMHO, this is just too powdery and sickly sweet for anyone other than some sweet 90 yr old granny. My colleagues have told me they will pay me to get rid of this one as it makes them feel unwell. I have half of a 100 ml bottle left so if anyone wants to pay P&P they can have this for free.

Moschino Couture! by Moschino

What more can you ask of a frag. Benzoin and pomegranate. And guess what? Longevity is fantastic. Lasts all day. Gets lots of compliments, maintains its aroma all day without changing musty, as so many other benzoin type frags tend to. the price tag is also very attractive so this is a win win deal.

Treselle by Avon

I do agree with takemyhusbandplease to a certain extent. It is a very generic white frag, however you can get this on offer for $8.00 quite often, and for this price it has to be said it is a very pleasant everyday option. I would never wear this anywhere special, but it is amazing how many people comment positively when I do wear it.

Always by Avon

Pleasant. That is about it. Reminds me of Hermes Le Jardin Sur Le Nil which always gives me a nauseous headache. This frag doesn't but it is too similar for me to want to repurchase. Too fruity. Maybe young prepubescent girls would like this, but certainly not for grown ups.

L'Eau Spray by Avon

This is the secret of the century. This fragrance is exactly like eau de Rochas only with much better longevity. Only problem is that I think that Avon is not making the perfume any more, only the body spray. Even if this is so, use the Avon L'eau to layer with Eau de Rochas perfume. Very economical option.