Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

Amberflash's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

I know this AA has been discontinued, but as its only been recently so I was able to purchase a large bottle fairly cheaply on ebay. I'm a big fan of Herba Fresca, another minty AA, so I was eager to compare the two. Why is HF still around and Mentafollia discontinued?

So here I sit with HF sprayed on my left hand and Mentafolia on my right. They are both minty, minty, minty! But whereas HF has the crisp grass and basil notes that give it a (no surprise!) herbaceous, fragrant salad-y smell, Mentafollia's mint seems very intertwined with its tea notes. In fact, on my skin this perfume might better be called Mentafollia The' (mint leaf tea) as the mint notes seem to be on equal turf with the tea notes in this composition.

Like most AAs, there isn't much evolution from top notes to dry down. The cedar is light and barely detectable (definitely not the woody presence in a composition like, say, Philosykos). Beneath the tea and mint there is the sweetness of the florals and orange but they never leap to the forefront.

This is a cooling, refreshing perfume. Like a tall, cool glass of ice tea with mint leaves on a hot summer day. It's my post-bathing perfume of choice, perfect for cooling me down after some time in a hot steamy bath or shower. I also sometimes sneak some after a workout if I'm feeling icky. Pure minty bliss!

(And OK, I still love HF, but my boyfriend gets that "soapy" note in it that I've never smelled so he far prefers this one, likening it to his all-time fave cologne, Creed's Selection Vert. And maybe it is, a little...)

fusion's avatar

Green Jeans by Versace

I don't like this smells like bathroom cleaner not my type of fragrance try before you buy

fusion's avatar

V/S for Men by Versace

I like this one not a classic or a must have but nice to own i enjoy wearing it has got me compliments and that's always a good thing so I will give it a thumbs up

11th May, 2007 (Last Edited: 15th May, 2008)

sagittarius's avatar

Organza by Givenchy

I ordered it online after seeing all the thumbs-up given to it.
    It has just arrived and it's as scrumptious as I'd hoped, I can't stop sniffing myself ... yum yum yum. So fresh and light, not at all overpowering.
    I love it!!!

k_chandrashekar's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

A great scent.
    I never thought I'd see Creed's wonderful Bois du Portugal bettered; Heritage undid my belief: It is the better of the two.
    A warm scent of consummate depth and character, without ever being overbearing or gaudy, Heritage bests the afore mentioned BdP and Caron's third man as the preferred woody-floral-aromatic for the cooler seasons.
    This is the handiwork of a master.

leor_77's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

OK here I go...Was at Sephora and was examining the colognes. After quite a while, one of the female workers told me that Touch was her favorite. Sprayed it on, and right when I left the mall two girls who were walking behind me were talking about how good I smelled. It's like im getting aromatherapy each time I wear it. Quite nice and fresh, and seductive at the same time.

markc's avatar

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

AWFUL.. Put the $135 on the next superbowl instead. If you want to test this you can pretty much do it yourself without buying a decant. Fill up a decant with water and half a tablespoon of black pepper, then spray it on. That's about the equivalent. Should be listed in a fragrance glossary under the exact opposite of silage monster.

moondeva's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Top Notes: Bergamot, Elemi, Cardamom, Tarragon, Star Anise, Thyme, Coriander
    Middle Notes: Pipe Tobacco, Suede, Incense
    Base Notes: Patchouli, Dark Plum, Sandalwood, Dried Fruits

At first this scent is all plummy and smokey with tobacco and incense, at least for the first 1/2 hour - 45 minutes, but in the end this scent is all about sueded musks and patchouli...lots of patchouli!

Personally, I adore it! At least for that first 1/2 hour, but then it becomes much drier (less sweet), smokier and patchouli dominated, which I still find great but not as knicker-wetting sexy as the opening. Discreet application is best and I find that this works best in cool winter weather or (a tiny 'decant & dab' application) in heatwaves.

I am actually quite shocked by how wantonly I respond to this brew and currently it is the sexiest scent I have ever smelled on a man. :blush:

See it as a patchouli scent, rather than tobacco, and apply accordingly - you will be happier for it. And even though it may not blow your socks off it is probably playing havoc with the undies of the women around you...trust me!

narcus's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Drakkar by Guy Laroche

Drakkar (1972) is much like Drakkar Noir (1982) minus the extra kicks from Coriander, Juniper and some pine, I find. Although the pyramids made me expect something very different, this smells like the younger(!)brother of DN. I do not get the fresh start with such aplomb as I am used to from DN, or YSL Pour Homme, and also the dry down is mellower than it is with DN, and yet it lasts about the same five hours! I do not know why it reminds me of the tender Old Spice Lime which has been missed for years. I had to buy Drakkar blind as you can imagine with a scent that is so hard to come by nowadays. Even the more am I happy with what I received in perfect condition.
    I realize I would have praised DN just the same had it been unknown and hard to get until now!

Naitch's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

This is definately one of the best colognes I have ever used. Longevity is excellent, far superior to the new sweet smelling colognes that usually last an hour. I easily got over 7-8 hours, and the tip about spraying on an undershirt really works. Two sprays to the neck, two to your shirt, one on the wrist and your set. No more, as this is a power scent in every sense of the word!

If you want something masculine, classy and long-lasting, pick this up.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I understand why the descriptions on the Malle website call this delicate delight an 'Eau Chaud' - a warm water. It's a light fragrance - as light as a snowflake and as white as a winter sky - but it is soft, warm and sweet as a baby's skin.

It would suit a young woman or teenager; if you have enough money to splash out on a Malle as a gift for a daughter or niece they would be very lucky to get this.

It's sweet and soft but not cloying and not overtly floral or gourmand - there's no vanilla or other edible notes.

I find it much warmer and less synthetic smelling than Demeter's Snow (not a comment on the chemical composition, just trying to decribe Snow) and less overtly floral than Philosophy's Baby Grace. It has rather more in common with Pure Grace, I would say, though again it feels less synthetic than Pure Grace. It's an absolutely lovely perfume that lasts well, lying close to the skin and gently radiating class.

A huge thumbs up from someone who is usually a stick-in-the-mud oriental or citrus gal. (Though I've also been swept off my feet by Malle's Iris Poudre.)

Lime, Mandarin and Vetiver by Tesco

I was dreading smelling this one of the Tesco Finest fragrances because I expected it to be a straightforward, blah citrus scent. There are so many variants of the orange/lemon/lime/bergamot cologne that I thought it would be a cheap version of something like Eau Dynamisante. How wrong I was! It's actually a very nice, fresh but warm citrus that lasts well.

Like the other scents in the range, there is a certain synthetic edge, but I don't find it off-putting. It fades with the top notes, leaving an impressively warm vetiver drydown that is more complex than I expected.

All in all a great summer fragrance to splash on all over - and one that men should certainly try as it's absolutely unisex.

Red Rose and Jasmine by Tesco

A straightforward attempt to copy Jo Malone's Red Roses that's not half bad. I've never smelled the JM original but considering this as a fragrance in its own right I find it very pleasant. It's not cloying - the great fear with rose scents - and it's pleasantly fresh. I get a slightly synthetic edge, but didn't expect to be transported to Grasse's May Rose beds for a fiver.

It's eminently suitable for teenagers or maiden aunts - nothing scary or musky here - and I should think it perfect for office wear or as a summertime fragrance to spalsh on with abandon. I'm certainly going to get myself the candle to see how it performs, as it smells very nice in the jar.

I would say this is great value for money and well worth a try. It would make a great gift.

Ginger, Vanilla and Pink Pepper by Tesco

Being a saddo I bought all 4 of the Tesco frags and this is my least favourite of them. Having said that, for a fiver it's much more complex than you'd expect. And to be fair, a swanky room fragrance costs more than a fiver, so even if you don't like this on your skin it's not a complete loss.

It's a nicely put-together warm oriental, that lasts well and does what you'd expect it to. It's not earth-shattering, let's be honest. But if you're on a limited budget it's worth trying. I think the accompanying bath and body products might be well worth a try and the candle smells very good.

zztopp's avatar

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Notes:
    Top: Bergamot, Galbanum
    Middle: Hawthorn, Mimosa (Acacia)
    Base: Ambergris

Aubepine-Acacia (AA)? Hawthorn-mimosa? The manatee name didnt interest me at all, and I had purposefully delayed testing this Private Collection fragrance because of its classification as a "feminine" frag (although its easily unisex). I should have tried this earlier when I had a chance to buy the 8.4Oz flacon for $160.

AA is a stunningly beautiful fresh green floral fragrance. The top notes are captivating: lemon and bergamot ride a wave of green-green-green galbanum to create an undercurrent of a bright and fortifying herbal-citrus accord. The citrus notes then drop out, the hawthorn slips in and then slowly but surely the mimosa flower makes its presence felt. The floral heart powers AA from here onwards, although some remnants of the "green" accord remain to ensure AA's true classification as a "unisex" fragrance. The mimosa heart is rich, plentiful and exquisitely rendered. I also detect either a pine, mint or clove note burried in there somewhere - this "easter egg" note is instrumental in making sure that the pretty mimosa doesn't turn this into a "girly men" fragrance. Longevity is excellent (clocking in at over 8 hours) and AA pumps out some of the most attractive multifaceted sillage I have experienced.

And multifaceted it is...you will get whiffs of green, lemons, subtle hawthorne, gorgeous rich mimosa, and even some pine and or mint the entire time you have this scent on. Its as exciting as playing out ones role playing fantasys behind closed doors (and smelling good while doing so). I never thought I would say this, but I have probably found the perfect floral for men for this summer. AA - get with the program.

zztopp's avatar

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Top notes of bracing mandarin, lotus leaves, cardamom, and ginger.
    • Middle notes of coriander, bay rose, macy, davana, and violets.
    • Base notes of patchouli and dry amber and musk.

"A fragrance that exudes Italian elegance, excellence, creativity, vitality, and energy. " ... I thought I had lost all those attributes after taking one whiff of this generic unexciting impotent mess called Subtil pour homme.

I had just had my way with another (and more expensive!) disappointing plasticky aquatic (Clubman by Truefitt&Hill) when a sample of Subtil pour homme dropped into my lap. First impressions were decent; a well executed mandarin note complemented by spices like cardamom, coriander and ginger to perk things up (interestingly cardamom is the Truefitt&Hill house note). Soon after that the all too familiar (and poorly executed at that) "village bicycle" aquatic note corrupts the olfactory receptor neurons causing them to go haywire. The notes pyramid sounds more interesting than it smells...dont be mislead, Subtil is little more than spices + generic aquatic cologne.

If anything, Subtil has slightly more character and panache than Clubman. Another thing...with Aqua Di Gio around, theres no need to invest in this Italian mess. Close the books, this ones not getting promoted to the upper echelon of perfume ranks.

Vasily's avatar

Epice Sauvage by Ayala Moriel

Reminiscent of Creed Orange Spice with honey mixed in. Very pleasant, a nice winter holiday frag but would work in warm weather too ... unfortunately it doesn't last very long on me.

pookerella's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

An absolutely beautiful scent, but it's one that you need to be, clearly, in the mood for, as it is a full blast of warm, sweet flowers. Unisex? I don't know any man who would wear something as flowery as this. (Maybe it's an American thing.) To me, tuberose and jasmine mixed together smell like gardenias, i.e., Fracas...warmed up Fracas, though, and I like it much better than Fracas, which bites too hard and lingers too top heavy for my tastes. I like perfumes that warm as they linger and this one surely does. You fall more for it as it dries down. Quite addicting. Very expensive smell, not cheap alcohol-y, and for that price, it should be. I'm not sure it's worth $2.70 per ML, but it's very nice.

zoomazooma's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

On me this smells like a brand new packet of cigarettes and transports me right back to when I was 14, smoking in the park with my girlfriend.

For me this fragrance is magic. It has a fantastic mellowness to it and it lasts ages on my skin.

Stelios_X_opa's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

It is, firstly, a most DEFINITE try before you buy!

I had a big problem with all the posts on here, nothing gave me a good idea of what it smelled like. Gaultier's new creation is wonderful! It is a masterpiece and there is NOTHING else like it! It starts out with a BLAST of floral with Le Male lingering somewhere between the powdery smell. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the middle or base notes were Mint, Lavender, and Vanilla!

If you want a GREAT idea of what Fleur du Male smells like. Thing of Le Male with baby powder over it. Its soft, floral, and talcy! I love it--
    I bought a bottle once i smelled it!

Stelios_X_opa's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Dolce's Light Blue pour homme starts off very light, and fresh! Its not as citrusy as i would have imagined.

When i heard D&G was coming out with a Light Blue for men, i thought of the womens in the original bottle! Its a lot softer, and not much sillage.

It dries down very light, and all i smell basically from there on is Polo Blue.

Overall its a nice cologne, SLIGHTLY citrusy, and good for my taste!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Incanto pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

As I was about to write about this, I glanced over the existing reviews to prevent unnecessary repetitiveness.
    I find the_good_life to be exactly on point with this...or at least my impression/experience with this is much like his.
    I totally discarded this because i couldn't smell it initially. Then I decided to apply it generously and it envelopes you in this wonderful...so much for not being repetitive...you get the point.
    Not a bad buy if you can score one at the usual discount outlets. I am not the least bit curious about the rest of the ferragamo line after this though.

Tonyprince's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

Recently I asked six friends (three male, three female) to rate nine fragrance samples on me (mostly Creeds). This was their overall favorite. Does anyone besides me think it smells like violets?

kharisma92's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

This one is on my list of all time favorites! The tobacco is what makes this one hot to me. Women love it and that's all that matters! i rank this one up there with Silver Mtn water, D&G PH, Polo, TM Colonge. Did not really like it the first time i tried it but I kept going back to my wrist and before I knew it, I was in love.... Give it a try and you'll love it!

Antaeus by Chanel

Another positive review to add to the many below. Infact over time this is becoming one of the best fragrances I own, albeit not one to be used in all situations. To me it seems to suit night time & formal clothing better (although I do wear it to the office). Antaeus has a powdery quality initially, that I found I didn't care for.. Once I'm past that though, I am in awe. Leather base & what seems like a faint honey floating on top. Antaeus is one that envelops you in an aura that is serious, refined, masculine & powerfull.

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

A favourite casual for hot weather. Corriander (cilantro) is definately the main player in this, and although it's a warming, somehow buzzing note, it mixes with the other grapefruit/lemon/mint notes to make this a cool yet masculine accord.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Don't wear so much these days.. but this is fantastic nonetheless. Has a personal significance for me as THE scent that opened my eyes to that fact that there was a world of scents for men out there that didn't conform to the sweet, aquatic/floral fresh trend that is prevalent in the mass market. Spicey, musty, woody, incense, ancient somehow.. all things I love. On the donwside the longevity isn't great, But it's worth it for the sheer pleasure of giving yourself a few blasts of this then stepping out into a frosty winters day. I'll always keep a bottle on my shelf as long as it's continued. And WHAT a bottle, I have to say, fantastic chunky design.

Kailash's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Imbalanced. Reminds me of Baldessarini in that it has a nice base, but the damned citrus-fruit-candy hardly gets out of the way for me to smell much of it. And so I'll wear out my samples of both, on those days that I don't mind smelling like a silly fruit hiding a good heart.

sagittarius's avatar

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

When I read pineapple, it almost put me off buying it, bec that's a smell that puts my teeth on edge :o) and neither am am I a big fan of fruity fragrances.
    I ordered a sample bottle anyway and have been very pleasantly surprised. It has all the attributes described by the other reviewers, blended to perfection and it's already on my favourites list.
    It reminds me somewhat of Lolita Lempicka.

Peachlove's avatar

April Violets by Yardley

One of my favourite scents as a child- I still have a bottle for nostalgic reasons but do not wear it. I adore violet perfumes but this one is too sweet and simplistic to my adult nose. Beautiful to sniff unexpectedly but not complex enough to keep my senses enthralled.