Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

TurkishRose's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Brit Red by Burberry

They're not kidding with the rhubarb and the gingerbread. I usually stay away from gourmand scents, they dont' work well with my chemistry. This one makes me think of Hansel and Gretel's gingerbread house.

14 May, 2007

TurkishRose's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Blu Notte by Bulgari

I like the powder but it smells a bit generic to me. I think I'm spoiled by the original Bulgari.

14 May, 2007

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I had high hopes on this one. But this one had some strange development on my skin. I am not sure if this one suits me. I think the alcohol top note took over some how. It didnt really impress me that much. But I am not sure if that has to do with my skinchemistry or something else. I have to get back on this one. For now I give it a neutral.

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

I must strongly disagree with MMM. On me this cologne had a wonderful smell. Especially in the drydown. A weaker version of Antaeus if you ask me. The topnotes might not be that impressive. But as I said on my skin the drydown definetely made up for that little error. Scents with tobacco and coffe has always suited my chemistry. So its no wonder this one suits me. I might buy a bottle of it later this year. Right now I feel the weather is to hot for it. This one is almost as good as Trussardi Uomo who so far has been one of my favourites. Thumbs up from me.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I think that some of reviewers are a little bit unfare to this one. To me this smells quite lovely. Even though it isnt the most masculine scent I have smelled so far. And not very strong. This could most certainly use an extreme version if you ask me.

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

Story by Paul Smith

A very agreeable green musk / vetiver scent. Soft, round and fresh; suitable for any opportunity. Akin to KenzoAir, but without the latter's anise note, and with better longevity. Paul Smith's best fragrance so far.

JaimeB's avatar

Sabi by Henry Dunay

This is a beautiful green chypre that is perfect for any weather. At first, it is a little sweet and rather floral; but after it settles, it comes into perfect balance. There is some galbanum in this for sure, and the green note persists all the way into the drydown. At the end it is fresh and green, with just a hint of the former florals. This really lasts, by the way; I can still smell it faintly almost twenty-four hours after application. Captivating, uplifting.

oolong's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I have to admit that this fragrance arrived as part of a swap and I really didn't have high expectations for it. As I've been testing it I've really grown to like it. Certainly my favorite fig fragrance, much better and far more wearable then Philosykos by Diptyque (in my opinion anyway!). A really nice summer fragrance.

P-Natra's avatar

Germany Germany

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

It is a good scent, but nothing special...it starts with citrus...and gets in woody-spicey basenote...i´m very sad...

Sweet Amber Wood / Bois Exotique by Ava Luxe

Gorgeous! Sweet Amber Wood is a rich, resiny amber fragrance that projects sensuality and elegance. Notes are sandalwood, patchouli, spices, and benzoin. It smells expensive, and it's beautiful!

Light Musk / Musc Legere by Ava Luxe

Exactly as the name implies, this is a very light musk that's clean, and fresh, and it's great for those days when you can't decide what fragrance to wear. It's also a lovely bedtime scent.

Silk / Peau de Soie by Ava Luxe

Stunning! This is one of the best chypres I've ever worn. Silk truly smells like silk feels; smooth and elegant. A gorgeous spicy accord, a sort of secret surprise, develops as the fragrance dries down. This is a perfume for a strong, confidant woman.

Opoponax by Ava Luxe

Opoponax is a nice fragrance, but I was hoping for something with a striking resiny accord. This is a very, very sweet Oriental with a light woodsy base. I get hints of a subtle spice, kind of peppery, as the fragrance dries down. I enjoy this fragrance, especially in cool weather, but I prefer Ava Luxe Opoponax Intense when I crave opoponax.

Bergamot by Ava Luxe

This is a great, refreshing citrus fragrance that has great lasting power and smells irresistible!

Vamp by Ava Luxe

Appropriately named, Vamp is a luxurious, elegant, complex fragrance that's irresistibly beguiling. Notes: Oriental spices, Amber, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Vanilla, and Cashmere Musk. If you're a fan of Coco, Bois des Iles, Opium, and sexy Orientals in general, be sure to give this gorgeous scent a try!

Citrine by Ava Luxe

Citrine is a soft gourmand with vanilla, cream, and citrus. It reminds me of 50/50 bars, but, instead of the sugary synthetic orange smell, the topnotes come across as a tangy citrus blend. Citrine is lovely and alluring all by itself, but it's also great for layering with musks and ambers. Another nice thing about this warming perfume is that it would never be confused with candy or body-spray fragrances. It's tempting, and sweet, and works well as a daytime scent.

Ymer's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I swear this smells like Sundown.

Wearing it feels like the smell left by Sundown after a day at the beach.

There's also a very annoying bitter note.

No, thanks.

TaoLady's avatar

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I received this as a sample from Malle and why they would part with a drop of it is beyond me. What a class act. On my skin, no notes predominate - it is a lovely rounded light floral sweetness that never cloys....a "lingering kiss" as Purplebird7 says. If Vibert stalks me, I ain't gonna call his wife - I'm going to hang onto a man who appreciates a "masterpiece" like this. Definitely FBW.

Prada (new) by Prada

Prada is Angel's softer, gentler cousin...but don't confuse the two. They are not the same. Yes, they have similar ingredients...Patchouli, vanilla, bergamot, orange. Prada has flowers, Angel has none. Angel's Patchouli and berries are biting strong opening notes that do not die off easily. That is not present in Prada, which is blended nicely. Angel comes on strong, Prada is soft and very feminine, light, more innocent. You can wear Prada to the office or on the town. Angel is for night use ONLY, else you may offend people who strongly dislike the very present smell of loud Patchouli. I have worn both and those who intensely hate Angel, compliment Prada. Prada is lovely, and fades to a very soft form of itself, powdery and very feminine with just a hint of Patchouli. I think the Patchouli in Prada is more refined and lighter than that used in Angel. Prada's dry down is almost creamy, light, soft, powdery, intensely feminine. Even though there is a time and place for Angel and I love it, Prada is the winner overall.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I cannot believe the word "Patchouli" is not in the list of ingredients above, because it is SO there. Lots of it. The berries are very prominent, as well especially in the opening notes. They do fade and in the end you get the patchouli (which never really goes away) the vanilla, honey and chocolate in the dry down. If you can wait that long, you will love it. If not, you are out of luck! As with anything with Patchouli in it, this scent does not wash off easily! Angel is also not a scent to wear on a whim; it needs to be tested on your skin when you go shopping or something first. If you like it, you need to plan to wear it...meaning, you need to consider the occasion, people involved, weather...before wearing this scent. If you just don't want to bother with that, then you need to be able to take criticism or don't mind that people will avoid you. This is a scent that some people will love, but some people will intensely detest. I completely agree with Tovah; Angel evokes smells of warm summer nights to me. I think one of the reasons is because you need to wear it when you are going to be surrounded by fresh, moving air. In winter, everything is too closed in for a scent like this. Most of the time I have to apply it...and then wash it off after 5 minutes because no matter how little I use, it's always too much. I can live without the berries, to tell you the truth. Sometimes the dry down smells a little plastic-y to me, but not always. Still, Angel is a great scent, wonderful for romance and an innovation in the perfume industry.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

My first Thierry Mugler purchase was Angel for Men, as I fell in LOVE with the chocolate and whatever is reminiscent of pipe tobacco in this mixture. The caramel is more apparent here as well. Really luscious, use sparingly at night only.

Havok's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Ladies, there are few perfumes that can make me - basically - fall to my knees. I first smelled this in a magazine and loved it. About a week later I walked past a girl with it on and something in my mind clicked on, and I pursued her like mad. Later, about a year later, smelled it again, and knew it instantly, I had broken up with the first one by then and continued to pursue this one. There is just something about this smell that just drives me absolutely nuts. It's like every thing wonderful about a freshly chilled apple mixed with untamed sexual desire. I love this fragrance!

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

A good clone of Platinum Egoiste PE, but less pricy.

Overall, the top notes simpler and slightly more peppery then PE but then the drydown is the same to PE. Not sure how come PE is not such a lady attractant as VS. Almost as if VS accomplishes the same scents w/ fewer notes.

I have and love PE, and T from Tommy, and think VS is great. VS has _much better staying power than T. T is much more peppery.

Somehow, T and VS are more simple and much more popular w/ the ladies. I get compliments from T but not from PE. Go figure, I think girls like something simple, crisp, fresh. Cheaper?

VS1 will do well with the ladies, and you may also like it as well.

Indiscreet's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

This was a Holy Grail scent for me. I kept smelling it on people and wondering what that gorgeous potion was. Eventually I smelled it on a lady in the local newsagent and plucked up courage to ask her.
    I immediately ordered some off the 'web.
    Sadly, it proved to be a mistake. What had smelled so wonderful, warm, and rich on other people went all soapy on my skin. Even as it dried down, it retained a sharp, astringent quality that stung my nostrils.
    I really just don't get on with aldehydes. I can't wear any Chanels either. It's a pity because on the right person, this is absolutely stunning.

paul wall's avatar

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

smells like a beautiful flower!

Frank108's avatar

212 Men Splash by Carolina Herrera

I picked up a bottle the other day at Sephora's in New York City simply because I thought it smelled great out of the bottle and on me. Sales ladies in two different Sephora's were so impressed that I thought it smelled great, evidently they did too.

I checked Carolinaherrera.com and it doesn't list 212 Splash for Men. However, I found information about the fragrance on the Blog "Now Smell This" (NST).

See http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2007/5/11/2942439.html

According to NST 212 Splash is new for 2007 and is a limited edition release.

"212 Men Splash includes bergamot, mint, fresh notes, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, sandalood, incense and transparent musk."

I find it to be fresh, slightly sweet and fruity marine scent. By way of a comparison, if you are familiar with Kenzo's excellent marine fragrance line, this could be described as a sweet Kenzo Pour Homme.

In any case, I find it to be a refreshing scent, I enjoyed wearing it so much I got my wife the women's version (which is a similar smelling fresh, sweet, fruity marine scent, but, according to NST it is not the exact same fragrance simply packaged differently for women.

The packaging is cute: Both the Men's and Women's versions comes packed in a clear plastic case resembling a soda can. However, I take issue with the bottles themselves in both cases the tops are not well done. The men's version is not secure, and if you make the mistake of grabbing the bottle by the top the bottle will fall to the floor. In the women's version the caps just come out of the case. (On the other hand the women's version comes in two bottles perfect for leaving one at home and, say, one in the gym bag or in the locker. Men will just have to spray decant into an atomizer if they want to carry some with them to the gym or on a trip. (I wish more fragrances came in bottles like 4711 and Mugler Colgone so we can pour the fragrance into another bottle if we want to.

While I am enthusiastic, I strongly recommend trying it first to see if you like it. You may find the salty marine notes not to your liking, or you may find it too salty or too sweet for your body chemistry. I have noticed that some react to the noticeable but subtle sillage with nose twitches which tells me that some aren't going to like wearing this at all whether for themselves or for an intimate friend.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

What can I say other than read the thumbs up reviews !!!!!!

This is awesome!!! Very smokey, bluesy, Cherry tobacco-ey mixed with suede...hell..then you add the Plum note like Lucky Number 6 has as well and you have a deep, dark, sensual nightime scent. Little bit of suede in this as well. Yes, there are a load of notes in this and it may seem that they get lost BUT..it works and the drydown on Michael is UNREALLL!

Dont put this on and immediately take it off if you have second thoughts..let it drydown and smell it 4 or 5 hours into it and you'll see why women like this one!

This is a nighttime favorite preferably for FALL/WINTER BY the way.

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

This has the old base of Obsession from the late 80's with a twinge of Coconut on the topnote. Althought there is no Coconut in the notes the ones that are in this cologne when blended create a "Coconut" smell!!!!

This ones a so-so. It should be more suited for late Spring and summer wear due to the Coconut smell it brings memories of tanning lotion!!! Which in turn brings emotions of warm weather hence...wear this in warmer weather at night perhaps after a nice tanning day at the beach, this is the cologne to wear to a barbeque OR a get together.
    Not bad but nothing to holler about.. Obsession with coconut.

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

2 Thumbs way up on this one!!!!! This is the "Sleeper" sensual scent of 2007!!

I've been searching for a nightime sensual scent and the counter woman at Macys showed me this cologne as the last one before I was about to leave!! AWESOME!! Even better is it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!!!

This will probably get more compliments than anything!! The rating is a 5 and the longevity is a 5 as well IMHO!! The dark plum notes mixed with the others create a DEEP Sensual smell.

Get this cologne if your looking for a nighttime scent!

margi's avatar

England England

Prada (new) by Prada

I agree totally with Purplebird. The only other comments I can add is that it smells very similar to Chanel's new Coromondel only much less expensive. Another grown up Patchouli frag, but I agree that people should ditch the high street and search for some individuality with nich frags. I do like this enough though to give it a thumbs up.