Fragrance Reviews from May 2007

Amberflash's avatar

Shaving Shop by Taylor of Old Bond Street

There's something special about this scent. It does smell woody and handsome and vibrantly dry... but I'll be darned if there isn't the whipped foam of a fine shaving cream soaping away in there as well. Not that this is a soapy fragrance, per se, but it is a perfect perfumed poem of its namesake. My boyfriend wears it and I go crazy... yum!

colognewhore's avatar

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Holy Citrus!! I smelled like a giant lime when I first sprayed it on. It just smacked me right in the face. Then it started to change a little after awhile, but the citrus was definitely still quite apparent. I'm no expert, so I'm not gonna try to go into detail beyond this, but I will say that I like it.

snifferdog's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I really don't feel that this fragrance deserves the negative comments that it's getting. It may not be a radical departure from what's out there on the market, but it is an excellent composition and has a sparkling freshness that is reminiscent of YSL Paris.

It's a very versatile fragrance, and in comparison to the other fragrances of its genre it rates very highly in my books.

Chemicus's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Joop! Homme by Joop!

If you survive the topnotes, then the drydown is fairly decent. The middle notes are very sweet and floral but they are not lasting long. The base (which have good longevity) combines a cardboard/sawdust note with vanilla and something that smells burnt; there is some sweetness, too. This may sound like a very weird combination but it actually works. When to wear this fragrance is an open question, though.

kg0755's avatar

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

Every time that I wore this fragrance I would get compliments. And it dries down to wonderful, soft sexy scent. I was so surprised because when I have smelled a tester, I did not like it. The top notes were very over-the-top. Men find this scent very sexy.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Smells like propolis. Salty. But it can be sexy, when spraying a small amount (one "psht" only).

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

Really mediocre. Powder + something sweet + sweaty cumin note. And it is not a feminine sweat! Its powdery base reminds a lot of My Queen. Both fragrances are nothing special.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

The castrated Angel. Angel without its spiciness. Very sweet undefined juice + caramel. Flat, plain, vulgar. Not my fav.

Cabaret by Grès

Unique, salty and woody fragrance, roses and new light green birch leaves, a forest in spring, like a lonely amaranth rose blooming in the shade, in a dark virgin forest, at first it smells a bit metallic, like crushed scented geranium leaves + rose + patchouli, after 1 hour it sweeten, I can scent then the oleander flowers, resinous, pitchy, salty (yes, it is as salty as Eau Des Merveilles) melancholic like an abandoned jazz tavern, red carpets, cigarette smoke, has a beautiful musk base reminding a little of Narciso Rodriguez for Her or CK Be

cK be by Calvin Klein

The heavenly fragrance! Smells "dark" and velvety, like balm poplars after rain (phenethyl cinnamate?) like all night blooming flowers, scented stocks flowers (Mathiola), four oclock (Mirabilis jalapa), clean but sexy. Better than CK One. It could be much more lasting.

cK one by Calvin Klein

Good. Clean, light, smells like flowers of a vine, that's why I like it.

Adidas Fresh Vibes by Adidas

Smells like wintergreen + Adidas Tropical Passion (which is the best Adidas fragrance). For sportwomen. Not my fav.

Adidas Sensual Instinct by Adidas

Cheap version of Euphoria (or Wish or another Angel wanna-be). Sweet and plain.

Adidas Fruit Rhythm by Adidas

Blackberry + detergent mixture. So vulgar.

Adidas Floral Dream by Adidas

Boring. Detergent + fabric softener + undefinable flowers.

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

Powder + synthetic violets. Featureless.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Had to try it because of the buzz, but ech! a spice overload with hints of incense around the edges - but couldn't tolerate it and could not understand the allure at all. Then on second try I used much less, and advise to test sniff only from a distance so you don't burn out the nose, and then . . . ok, I can see the spice + agarwood is an alluring and mysterious presence. Really can't compare to GPH as another review reported - the Gucci PH is on another level of excellence in my view as it is more accessible and the balance of woods, frankincense, warm spice is masterfully done. M7 is another fragance with an instruction manual for proper use - but if used correctly it defitely has drawing power. Good for a night out with lots of people around, but for intimate situatios I prefer GPH, Avignon, or even Coze by PG for this type of effect.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Very nice fragrance, an evening type of scent that resembles Rocabar in the midnotes due to the cedar. This is slightly sweeter though and sometimes would I prefer the cedar forest that is Rocabar. This, however, will not offend anyone and is high quality being from VC&A.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Wierd. Notes should be an amalgam of different citrus but all I get is...celery, yes celery from beginning to end. Not horrible, just slightly not what I expected from a so called fresh citrus. Hope your friends aren't put off.

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Original Vetiver by Creed

I've been wearing this a lot since it's release in 2004. Although slightly anoyed at first by it's resemblence to TMC I tried to ignore OV ,but I stil couldn't let this go. I kept on using it and bit by bit I've grown to love it big time. Also the difference's to TMC are more obvious to me than they were then. I prefer this one.It's a superb, green,clean smelling vetiver. Not earthy, but fresh leaves. It's springtime in a bottle. Wonderfull!

GentlemanFarmer's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

Beautifully made composition; a mix between Knize Ten & Nostalgia from Santa Maria Novella.
    Smooth sweet and dry leathery smell, with good lasting power, really nice to wear.
    As someone else pointed out Cuir Ottoman is listed here as a Women’s scent… estrange…I would say very masculine.

Gerald's avatar

No. 22 by Chanel

I never cared much about N°22, but now, after having tried the classic version and the slightly reformulated 'Les Exclusifs' version, I see what I've missed. An effervescent, intriguing, powdery-green fragrance with a wonderful incensey drydown. The only aldehyde powerhouse that I find totally wearable for a man.
    The topnotes are very fresh and green, almost a bit pungent. Shortly after, the floral accents strengthen and dominate the heart phase. By and by, the incense enters the stage and begins to play the lead.
    The old and the new versions of N°22 are twins, of course, but indeed there are differences, mainly the higher dose of incense in the new version (which I like better). Besides, the new N°22 is a bit less sweet.
    A must-try, also for the guys.

Gerald's avatar

Gendarme Green by Gendarme

Green is an exquisite combination of citrus, herbs and the Gendarme-characteristic white musk base. Like all gendarme fragrances, it stays relatively close to your skin (though it has a significantly stronger sillage factor than the classic Gendarme or Gendarme V), and lasts for many hours.
    The topnote is a somehow flashy citric mixture (lemon, verbena, bergamot) with a saccharine undertone. It quickly melts down to a soft and cool heart (cucumber, basil, some thymes) that justifies the juice's name: indeed, it smells green. The crisp, clean basenote rounds the whole composition off. All in all, just perfect for spring and summer.
    I don't like the cheap-looking aluminium bottle, but after all, it's the fragrance that counts.
    After Grabazzi, this is my secondary favourite in the Gendarme line.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

I swear this smells like Ben Gay. The only difference is...it doesn't ease sore muscles.The worst new fragrance, by far! Smell at your own risk before buying.

P-Natra's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Girls love this scent and me too...nothing else must be said!!!
    It is a cool-juicy-aromatic scent...perfect for the summer or for the office.

It starts with a tangy citrus note combinend with fresh cucumber and (sea)kale (some would say watery-melon note).
    In the middle note I detect marine notes and Mastic "balsamic with breeze of a leather note" from the pistachios-tree.
    And than comes the lavender for the slow-down, mixed with bigarrade from the bitterorange-tree and thyme for the animation.
    And for the long lasting power of this scent comes in the basenote musk, vetiver-grass and ambergris.

Maybe Erolfa, M. Imperial, Unforgivable goes in the same direction of scent (or catagory), but they are different.
    So I owned all of them, because I like this fresh-marine-woody scents.

Don´t start a Creed vs. Bond battle...I also got 9 different Creed bottles...I must say from Bond I like Wall Street, Hamptons and Bleecker Street...thats it.

Big thumb up.
    One
    Peed

16 May, 2007 (Last Edited: 24 June, 2008)

Pappy's avatar

Fiji Fiji

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Somebody previously mentioned that this smells like the new replacement B*Men... I disagree. To me, this is clearly the new replacelment Visit by Azzaro. Smell it, and you will agree. This is a solid scent though, but just another step in a growing scent trend.

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

I purchased this recently on a trip to London. It epitomizes London on a beautiful spring day. It is clean, fresh, classic without being stuffy and modern without being synthetic and sweet. A great fragrance.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

It is hard to believe this scent is found to be enjoyable. The opening is the smell of a used urinal cake in a large stadium with too few men's rooms after the halftime intermission. It later improves sligthly to something that only makes you feel unwashed.
    Like most men I would wear a couple of dead rodents tied around my neck if I thought the smell would attract members of the fairer sex. Even if Korous could do that I don't think I could stand my own aroma regardless of how effective it was at getting the girls

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I first tried this on a hot muggy day in Hong Kong and could not stand this cologne. I re-tried this back in the states in a much cooler climate and completely changed my opinion.
    It gets me more compliments than any other cologne I own and I can wear it in almost any situation. Masculine, clean ( yes it has that barbershop vibe), moderate sillage and great staying power.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Jules by Christian Dior

Jules smells like generic Man Juice. Not like today's bland, aquatic colognes, but like an old school harsh, bitter, heavy, spicy, leathery concoction. I could appreciate the woody dryness of it if it wasn't for a certain cool or metallic note that feels very generic men's cologney and annoyingly aggressive - almost like mosquito repellant. Yeah, Jules has a lot in common with insect repellant, only a little nicer and deeper and more smoky/leathery